GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find the FB page again because I forgot the name but I remember seeing an older woman in the front of a group picture not a young girl.

ETA: Just found it again and it's not a young girl unless 50-60 year olds are "young"

Young to me is 20 and under. I'm approaching 46.

Another ETA: The woman in the picture is: Betty Lynn---Thelma Lou from the Andy Griffith show.

So no, not a young person.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...99997436.49841.198960200137846&type=1&theater

Uncle Fudd added 7 photos to the album Vintage Fudd.
July 3, 2011

In picture 6 of 9 there is in the lower right foreground a picture of a young girl with blond hair. She is definitely not 50-60! lol

Picture 9 of 9 is the 50-60 year old named Betty Lynn---Thelma Lou.

Look at picture 6 NOT 9.

Ann-Tx I just want to THANK you!! I lit a few candles .... I am bringing your link forward, so that others may light a candle in Hailey's memory :angel::silenced::blowkiss::tyou::heartbeat: :frown:

I lit one too

Stopped reading at page 30 to do this, so apologies if someone has already done one. Here's a rough timeline that I've been able to pull together from the news conferences (and articles, where they agree):

••TIMELINE••

TUESDAY

4:48 PM Hailey abducted from 3200 blk W. Lombard

A couple witnesses give chase on foot (including Carlos Edwards) and one witness chases by car (Ricky Riggins). Multiple 911 calls are made. Carlos calls Hailey’s mother also to report the kidnapping.

5:00 PM LE arrive and get descriptions.

6:00 PM LE puts out info on local and social media; also to MO Hwy Patrol.

LE track the driver’s license number to truck’s owner (Jim Woods, the suspect’s father), and learn CMW has borrowed the truck. They go to CMW’s home. Finding no one at home, they stake it out.

7:00 PM Ambert Alert is put out via protocol by the MO Hwy Patrol.

8:30 PM LE are still watching the home when CMW drives up.

LE confront CMW in the driveway, and he “agrees” to go to the station for questioning. Once there, he refuses to talk, asking for an attorney.

11:30 PM CMW is arrested and booked in to Greene County Jail.

Anywhere from 30-100 LE (including FBI) continue to search for Hailey. About 30 Springfield LE search around CMW’s residence and find evidence of foul play, prompting them to seek a search warrant for the home.

WEDNESDAY

2:15 AM (per 6:30 AM presser/news story) The search warrant is “obtained” for the home (though at this point in time they are not sure if she/her body is in there.) "An FBI evidence response team arrived about 2:15 a.m. to assist with the investigation."

2:40-2:50 AM - a body is discovered in the home

“Early Morning” – a Mobile Crime Unit is parked outside the home, and family is notified that “a body” has been found, though not confirmed to be female or Hailey’s.

3:00 AM – 10:30 AM The Dutch Maid Laundromat is searched by FBI and other LE

6:30 AM – 1st News Conference (with no confirmation a body has been found)

8:30 AM (per 2nd presser) – Search warrant “executed” for home (???)

9:00 AM The light gold/tan Ranger with tags 1YF 454 is towed away

10:30 AM Evidence gathering at Laundromat is complete and it’s open for business

10:45 AM LE confirms a “young female body” has been found inside the home

11:00 AM 2nd News Conference: Chief Paul Williams confirms LE has found inside the home the body of a young female they think is probably Hailey, but the identity and cause of death will remain unconfirmed until after autopsy

ETA: Ah, Knox, I see you did one of these, too! :)

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20140219/NEWS12/302190065/craig-michael-wood-hailey-owens

Snipped from above:

Craig Wood’s father, Jim Wood, didn’t know about the Amber alert on a 10-year-old girl who had been kidnapped Tuesday until he got home and found the police waiting for him.

“I heard last night about 7:10 p.m.,” Jim Wood told the News-Leader in a short interview. “I was out all day. I had my cell phone off. I didn’t see the Amber alert.”

Jim Wood said the truck belongs to him but Craig Wood, the oldest of his children, used it. He declined to say more for now, deferring to a possible further interview later.

BBM. I'm interested to know why his cell phone was off all day. Did the perp already know this and put his plan into action. I've had meetings and what not, where I turned my phone off, but rarely all day. As far as I'm concerned he's a victim of his son, but would like to hear the back-story.

MOO

Mel

I think he was desperate. Why would he abduct her in daylight in front of witnesses. He was in an uncontrollable state and in his mind nothing was going to deter him. This is why these people are so dangerous. They are driven and don't care about anything at the time. They often get away because there are no witnesses as good at the one's that witnessed Hailey's abduction. How often do we get a licenses plate?

IMO, You're absolutely right and I could not agree with you more that this monster's "drive" was that of unstoppable determination.. So fierce that he was totally consumed with following all the way through EVEN THO HE FULL WELL KNEW that he would be found and arrested in very short order(IMO, I have zero doubt whatsoever that he full well knew that the witnesses were going to be able to supply enough info/detail that LE would easily locate him).. but it mattered not in the least..

and just as you mention above this is testament to the drive and determination of these exact type of violent predators.. IMO, it is not even about getting away with the crime...IT IS ONLY ABOUT THEIR DESPERATE NEED TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH WHAT IN THEIR MIND'S HAVE BEEN SO LONG IN THE MAKING, IMO..

IMO, these type predators have been fantasizing for God only knows how long, about what they were going to do when the time actually came that they acted on those sick fantasies.. IMO, this horrific murder IMO, only further drives home just how obsessed, determined, and once their victim is within their grip, they WILL NOT be deterred regardless of the fact of knowing that they will IMMEDIATELY BE PAYING THE CONSEQUENCES for their depraved actions..

Their depraved minds are so determined AT ALL COSTS to follow through, and Wood is just merely one of MANY that are in/around all of our lives clear across the globe.. They are everywhere, and they are always lurking, watching, and in the meantime continuing to feed their depraved fantasies til the point when they follow through with one of our children as their victim..

God bless Hailey's loved ones.. I pray for their strength to endure the long, difficult road ahead of them all..

Rest in Peace, Hailey.. You're flying high with the angels now, alongside so many other beautiful children whose lives were taken from them, and them taken from the so many who love them..Hailey Dunn, Haleigh, Dylan, Jonathan, and so many more:(

Don't know if it's been posted or not but Prosecutor is scheduled for presser at 5:45 pm according to KMIZ in Columbia

I'm so sad that this happened to Hailey. My love and thoughts are with her family, friends and those who tried to help her. This is one of those cases where I just don't want to know what happened to the poor victim. From the way police have responded to questions, I really think (as others of you clearly do) that what we hear is going to be particularly horrible.

Perps of this type of crime will stop at nothing to get what they want. The desire escalates until they act upon their urges.

My gosh, you gotta give kudos to these witnesses! Don't you realize how many people will witness crimes in progress and walk right by?! Or they refuse to call police because "I don't wanna get involved." UGH

These folks jumped in pronto with both feet first. And my heart just goes out to them since I know they are devastated by this.

Exactly!!

And all these negative comments directed at the witnesses - what if that deters someone else getting involved in the future? If someone tries to do the right thing, they get slammed? Wow. I bet poor Hailey's family will be hugging and thanking those witnesses one day for trying to save their little girl.

Please give the witnesses a break - they made logical decisions under very illogical circumstances. I hope those criticising them are never in a situation where they have to prove that they would act differently.

A younger cousin and I walked 2 miles to a grocery store (we lived in the country) while my aunt and uncle came to visit for a week in the summer.
She and I would take our own "shortcut" through several backyards , and before that ----- we walked along a divided highway.
We were given some change (this was back in the very old days of the 70's) from my mom and allowed to buy candy. My mom would say, "Have fun, girls. Lunch is at noon, don't forget ."
Hard to believe --As protective as my parents have been , (back then) ,they never thought this was dangerous !
Of course we kids thought it was great fun.
My mom says now she'd never let a kid walk around like that, but back then she says she thought it was a safer time.

I think things happened "back then", too. I just think we were lucky.

There is something wrong in this nation with our justice system. Criminals aren't afraid anymore.
My friend says we have the best justice system in the world.
Maybe she's right; but I'm getting the feeling that perps like the monster who ended Hailey's life is not afraid of prison or anything else.

Something has to change . If there is a vote for stiffer punishment , I'm all for it.

BBM. I'm interested to know why his cell phone was off all day. Did the perp already know this and put his plan into action. I've had meetings and what not, where I turned my phone off, but rarely all day. As far as I'm concerned he's a victim of his son, but would like to hear the back-story.

MOO

Mel

A lot of older people tend to keep theirs off. Or at least the people I know.

Stopped reading at page 30 to do this, so apologies if someone has already done one. Here's a rough timeline that I've been able to pull together from the news conferences (and articles, where they agree):

••TIMELINE••

TUESDAY

4:48 PM Hailey abducted from 3200 blk W. Lombard

A couple witnesses give chase on foot (including Carlos Edwards) and one witness chases by car (Ricky Riggins). Multiple 911 calls are made. Carlos calls Hailey’s mother also to report the kidnapping.

5:00-5:10 PM LE arrive and get descriptions.

6:00 PM LE puts out info on local and social media; also to MO Hwy Patrol.

LE track the driver’s license number to truck’s owner (Jim Woods, the suspect’s father), and learn CMW has borrowed the truck. They go to CMW’s home. Finding no one at home, they stake it out.

7:00 PM Ambert Alert is put out via protocol by the MO Hwy Patrol.

***Snipped for space***
Can anyone confirm that Amber Alert protocol in MO is to wait 2 hours before issuing one when they have a description and eye witnesses to the abduction? Does anyone know WHY that would be protocol.
TIA.

MOO

Mel
I don't know the area this person was in, but if I am in an area where I lose cell reception on and off, I turn mine off until I know my battery won't be continually drained searching for reception when there is none. I turn it back on when I know I'm in reception range.

This was on my local news and it made me sick. I have to wonder if he planned this and knew this child walked by herself at times. Or was it a spur of the moment thing?? I cannot fathom how this thought even forms in a brain. Did he often borrow this truck? He must have a vehicle of his own if he works and coaches.
Bless this child and her family.

Can anyone confirm that Amber Alert protocol in MO is to wait 2 hours before issuing one when they have a description and eye witnesses to the abduction? Does anyone know WHY that would be protocol.
TIA.

From what I've been able to deduce from reading about this, it's not protocol to WAIT 2 hours, but just takes about that much time minimally to get all the info accurately gathered and put in the system. I agree--that time really needs to be shortened (especially on obvious, violent stranger abductions like this).

Here's one source where I read that:

The Amber Alert for Hailey's disappearance went out about 7 p.m. Tuesday, two hours after Hailey was abducted. Williams said those two hours were how long it took police to confirm all the information about the abduction and get the information to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, which administers Missouri's official Amber Alert web site. http://www.ky3.com/news/local/break...of-missing-springfield-girl/21048998_24555750

THIS you are able to find and he was still hired to work with kids? Who was running the show there.

:banghead:

There's nothing about this guys past that makes him at risk of harming children, IMHO. On the surface, stealing a turkey and simple possession is something that a large percentage of the population probably share in terms of a 'record'. Seriously, this describes my brother, my neighbor, your pastor. The blackouts and having family members with alcohol abuse issues are also very common. I don't see where the school "dropped the ball" or missed any glaring red flags. He just doesn't fit society's profile of a predator *on paper*.

A lot of older people tend to keep theirs off. Or at least the people I know.

Or, he could be like my hubby who only turns his phone on if HE needs to make a call. He is still a work in progress after 20 years.

Has there ever been a case of TOTAL stranger abduction of a young child where an Amber Alert was fundamental to the recovery of the child before he/she was murdered? Sounds like its more useful for parental/custodial/seedy uncle cases than it is for the ones most vulnerable and deserving of immediate response.
I'm not sure how fundamental it was, but I believe in the case of Hannah Anderson it helped track which direction they were going. When the Amber alert went out, I was in Washington state and it seemed like every smart phone in my vicinity went off. Weird case, but she is still alive.

Billboards work if they are still alive though. In the case of Shasta Groene, a man outside of Denny's she was found at recognized her from a billboard he had passed.

I will say that if, as I posted earlier, LE waits for 2 hours to issue an Amber Alert, that's pretty darned useless.

There's nothing about this guys past that makes him at risk of harming children, IMHO. On the surface, stealing a turkey and simple possession is something that a large percentage of the population probably share in terms of a 'record'. Seriously, this describes my brother, my neighbor, your pastor. The blackouts and having family members with alcohol abuse issues are also very common. I don't see where the school "dropped the ball" or missed any glaring red flags. He just doesn't fit society's profile of a predator *on paper*.
We will have to agree to disagree on the blackouts part of this. Anyone who has an alcohol problem to the extent that they blackout can not be trusted that they did not do something during that blackout they don't remember that could be dangerous to another human being. That includes children. JMO.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...99997436.49841.198960200137846&type=1&theater

Uncle Fudd added 7 photos to the album Vintage Fudd.
July 3, 2011

In picture 6 of 9 there is in the lower right foreground a picture of a young girl with blond hair. She is definitely not 50-60! lol

Picture 9 of 9 is the 50-60 year old named Betty Lynn---Thelma Lou.

Look at picture 6 NOT 9.

Gotcha. I see her now. You didn't specify and the one I saw was on the FB page itself and the one you are talking about is in an album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member