17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM: I realize that SYG immunity has a provision whereby the defendant recoups his expenses and acquires immunity for civil damages.

But in the case of an acquittal or appellate victory, I believe the defendant still has to pay his own expenses unless (a) he has been previously declared indigent, and/or (b) he can prove he was falsely arrested and prosecuted (usually a difficult thing to prove, since a judge has already found probable cause for his arrest).

Likewise, defendants who are acquitted (but not granted SYG immunity) may still be sued for civil damages.

Do you know of a Florida law that says otherwise?

Tks. That is the same way my non legal mind read the self defense Statutes including that unusual SYG with criminal/civil immunity provision. Also you can not submit a motion for SYG for a closed case IMO. It has to be done sometime during an active case but can be invoked at any time during the lifetime of the case. It is very confusing. Based on that ,I would think that MOM eventually will file for SYG if he has the best interest of his client in mind.
In the mean time, the case can be milked for all it is worth and possibly eventually all on the State's dime.
All IMO.

What are you talking about? The State didn't recoup any prosecution expenses from Casey Anthony!

If you are talking about money spent by the State on her defense because she was indigent, then it would be common practice for Baez to have to account for every penny. I have prepared such reports and they are very detailed (often hundreds of pages), but I admit I'm not in Florida and can't vouch for the competence of auditors there.

*I* was talking about estimates of what the State spent prosecuting the trial. Since the case was lost, I doubt anybody working for the prosecutor wants to brag about how much money they spent getting an acquittal for Casey Anthony. That's just common sense.

You seem to want to accuse me of asserting facts I do not know to be true. I don't stick "IMO" after every post, but I do use "I think" and similar phrases to indicate that I am expressing opinion, not reciting verifiable facts. What is the problem?

Do you think the State spent a million dollars on prosecution? That was my question. Also, you seem to be implying that the SA office does not proffer an accurate accounting of expenses. Is that what you are saying?

What you suggested, a million dollars, is a far cry from what the SA stated. And a far cry from what the defence spent. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to suggest authority in that opinion. The figures the public received are nowhere near what you suggest. I am not accusing you of anything; I addressed your figures. I just want to know how you came by those figures which don't seem to be anywhere near what has been published. Saying they are hiding something is, I guess, at best, speculation unless you have some evidence to that effect.

I don't think MOM has unlimited time for file his motion. If he does not file right away those docs are let loose within a matter of days. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some of them already, such as the EMT's report, GZ's statements to LE that night, etc. jmo

That might be a good question to ask our lawyers, LambChop. As I understand it, the state is required to turn over discovery to the defense within 15 days of the defense's filing a Notice for Discovery. The defense then has 15 days from receiving the discovery to turn over its own discovery to the state. (And it's an ongoing process - anytime one side gets new discovery, they are required to turn it over to the other side in a timely manner.) I'm not aware of a time constraint on the defense for demanding initial discovery from the state.

I believe the state and defense attorneys in this case both have concerns about witnesses being harassed or somehow made unsafe, so they may be working together on what to redact. The court can always step in if either side feels the other is not complying or there's disagreement about how to exchange discovery. But in any circumstance, I don't think the state can release discovery until it's first been given to the defense.

Or the dollars to defend GZ may surge after evidence released. IMO the press overall has been biased in this case, and yet he has still been able to collect $200K for his defense.

I am wondering however, what portion is that dough is from Media and/or Political Action Committees(PAC's like NRA/ALEC) as opposed to private citizens.

I have nothing to base this on, just a gut feeling, I think he and the judge are personal friends. jmo

INteresting to note, Judge Lester is married to a PROSECUTOR.

"Lester is married Dorothy Sedgwick, a long-time homicide prosector at the State Attorney’s Office in Orange County."

I also found out that Lester is the same age as Angela Corey and they went to the same law school, and may have graduated the same year. He graduated in 1980, and she got her first law job in 1981.

*"He practiced*criminal and family law for 16 years in state and federal court before donning the robes. Lester is a 1980 graduate of University of Florida College of Law."

After receiving her Juris Doctor degree at the University of Florida's Levin College of Law, She was hired by Ed Austin in 1981 during his tenure as State Attorney....
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Corey"]Angela Corey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

http://p.washingtontimes.com/topics/kenneth-lester/

:star::star:So if Lester is good friends with anyone, I am guessing it is the prosecution.

Is there a defense fund currently active?
I don't think so. gzdefensefund.com <------- not working. Yet. You can go there and see it's a shell.

But yes, delaying discovery IMO, is a strategy - having to do with the timing of those discovery docs and the approval of the gz defense fund. Hold off on discovery release until there is an approved defense fund on-line and ready to go.

Why?

IMO b/c: a doc dump = more MSM coverage = more MOM face-time = more mentions of how to donate to defense fund.

:cow:

As opposed to previous GZ defense funds sites, this new one has a physical address(MOM's). Eager beavers can just mail their contributions via snail mail. MOM did say he had various folks, like hundreds, waiting to donate.
Provides also more privacy.

From this link and the Sandford PD PDF Press Release 2/29/2012:
http://www.motherjones.com/documents/329566-twinlakestownhomesshootingupdate

SPD says that GZ was acting in his capacity of Neighborhood Watch at the time of the shooting.

But since that time, GZ and some of his outspoken friends have been trying to get the public to believe that he was not acting in his capacity as NW and was actually about to run an errand to Target for milk.

So, was this part of his police statement, I wonder? If so, it shouldn't matter what he told his friends or the public, imo. Maybe Trayvon's parents will be able to sue the HOA.

"Lester is married Dorothy Sedgwick, a long-time homicide prosector at the State Attorney’s Office in Orange County."

I also found out that Lester is the same age as Angela Corey and they went to the same law school, and may have graduated the same year. He graduated in 1980, and she got her first law job in 1981.

*"He practiced*criminal and family law for 16 years in state and federal court before donning the robes. Lester is a 1980 graduate of University of Florida College of Law."

After receiving her Juris Doctor degree at the University of Florida's Levin College of Law, She was hired by Ed Austin in 1981 during his tenure as State Attorney....
Angela Corey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:star::star:So if Lester is good friends with anyone, I am guessing it is the prosecution.

Do you have any idea how big the University of Florida is?

IMHO..And I suspect your "gut feeling" may just be correct ..JMHO

So what about the fact that Judge Lester is married to a prosecutor, and went to law school with Angela Corey. Any comments about that?

Do you have any idea how big the University of Florida is?

The law school is much cozier than the University itself.

[In 2009, the College adjusted the size of its incoming class from around 400 to approximately 300 students,]

So? Are you implying judicial misconduct or just making an observation? :crazy:

It is not uncommon for attorneys on both sides to socialize with local judges in the community. Omara has been practicing there many years. I wouldn't call it judicial misconduct, but just human nature. If they are friends the judge might given him more leeway, jmo.

Well, the circumstances in this case are like dots, and I think the jury will be able to follow them to the right conclusion. moo

It all depends on the jury deselection and how clever that is done. Besides too many folks want to protect their precious gun laws. So I am not that optimistic.

It is not uncommon for attorneys on both sides to socialize with local judges in the community. Omara has been practicing there many years. I wouldn't call it judicial misconduct, but just human nature. If they are friends the judge might given him more leeway, jmo.

Judge Lester went to the same law school, same time, size of the class was about 400 students, as Angela Corey, the prosecutor. I am pretty sure they know each other and have lots of friends in common.

Judge Lester is married to a prosecutor. So I really don't think there is any reason to think he is going to give any extra leeway to Omara. imo

"Lester is married Dorothy Sedgwick, a long-time homicide prosector at the State Attorney&#8217;s Office in Orange County."

Angela Corey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you accidentally snipped your quote which causes a misinterpretation. IMO it doesn't say that AC got her first law job in 1981 after receiving her juris doctor degree. . It says she did legal research and defended medical malpractice lawsuits and got a board certification in criminal trial law and the 1981 job was her first prosecutor job. imo.

After receiving her Juris Doctor degree at the University of Florida's Levin College of Law, she did legal research while preparing for the Florida bar examination, then spent 18 months defending medical malpractice lawsuits with Howell & Howell, PA.[4] She later became board certified in criminal trial law.[4]

Prosecutions
She was hired by Ed Austin in 1981 during his tenure as State Attorney from 1975 to 1991, and remained an Assistant State Attorney after Harry Shorstein was appointed by Governor Lawton Chiles in 1991.[5] During her 26 years as a prosecutor, she tried several hundred cases, which included 54 homicides.[6]

Edit: Her first law job appears to have been Howell and Howell (in 1980 or thereabouts).
http://jacksonville.about.com/od/whoswhoinjacksonville/p/angelacorey.htm

Corey is a 26-year veteran of the District Four State Attorney's Office. She joined in 1981 under then-State Attorney Ed Austin after a year at Jacksonville Beach's Howell and Howell practicing insurance defense law.

I think you accidentally snipped your quote which causes a misinterpretation. IMO it doesn't say that AC got her first law job in 1981 after receiving her juris doctor degree. . It says she did legal research and defended medical malpractice lawsuits and got a board certification in criminal trial law and the 1981 job was her first prosecutor job. imo.

That first job was while she was preparing for her bar exam. I think they were in law school at the same time frame. I am pretty positive they know each other. At least I am presenting something more concrete than a 'gut feeling' they might.

http://www.angelacorey.com/sections/information/about_angela.php

Angela attended Florida State University and graduated with a B.S. in Marketing, then went on to law school at the University of Florida. In 1980 she joined the law firm of Howell and Howell in Jacksonville Beach where they specialized in insurance defense work. In 1981, State Attorney Ed Austin hired Angela as an Assistant State Attorney.

ETA: the earliest I can find her working as a lawyer is 1980/

I don't believe the defense fund is accepting any money now since it's not set up.

So, they can't stockpile anything.

I guess that would scratch off that theory.

IMO!

They could just be mailing checks in. After all, they have a physical address.
You really think they would use "return to sender"????:floorlaugh:

Can I ask where O'Mara revealed the name of the friend? Because I've watched the bond hearing a few times, and he never said it during that dialogue. I'm fairly confident the video wasn't edited or cut during that portion... Is this just speculation that's developed legs of its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu