17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing to indicate it was edited out of the video, though. That's my question. Was it something someone thought they heard, and has just been blindly corroborated by others? I've also looked for references to it online (you'd think there would have been quite a furor over it), and haven't found much of anything.
I heard the verbal dialogue in court regarding the slip, and O'M apologizing for id'ing her. So I assumed it actually did happen.

However, like you, I didn't hear her name spoken -- I assumed her name was clipped from the audio, but don't really know. JMO

---

ETA:

:what:

Wow. I just listened again. Three times. And watched, too.

I'm not finding where O'M said her name at all!

1. He asked witness DG if he knew the witness's name.

2. Prosecutor BD objected to the question, citing concerns for the girl's safety.

3. O'M immediately apologized for having asked.

DID he speak her name? Now I don't think he did at all!

ICBW, but wow.

1:16
in video:
http://www.wral.com/news/video/11004815/#/vid11004815

I heard the verbal dialogue in court regarding the slip, and O'M apologizing for id'ing her. So I assumed it actually did happen.

However, like you, I didn't hear her name spoken -- I assumed her name was clipped from the audio, but don't really know. JMO
I took it that he was apologizing for pressing the investigator for a name that shouldn't be released. No one acted like he let a name slip, and the investigator continued with the line of questioning, saying he had access to the name. The judge even clarified what the investigator was saying - that he had access to the name but did not want to reveal it in court.

IMO, the dialogue is so fluid, there's no way it could have been clipped from the video without it being noticed. I don't think he actually said her name. I think several people got that impression and it's been passed around as fact since then.

Can I ask where O'Mara revealed the name of the friend? Because I've watched the bond hearing a few times, and he never said it during that dialogue. I'm fairly confident the video wasn't edited or cut during that portion... Is this just speculation that's developed legs of its own?

If you've watched the video of the hearing several times and didn't hear Mr. O'Mara reveal the name, I would assume that the media outlets have edited that portion out and most likely by request of the judge, the pros, and the defense attorney as well. No reason to continue to broadcast something that shouldn't have been said.

While I didn't listen to the live broadcast, I know the defense did accidentally reveal the g/f's name and apologized. It was a slip and I'm sure he's very embarrassed that he did that. Just like anyone else would be as well. Protection of minors and not identifying them publicly isn't only recognized on Websleuths, but in the legal community as well as media outlets. Often times they talk about arrests in cases and the accused isn't being identified as they're a minor. That is unless they're being tried as an adult, then the protection of a minor goes out the window, so to speak.

Course, this is just mho, but I'm pretty confident with the assumption.

JMHO
fran

If you've watched the video of the hearing several times and didn't hear Mr. O'Mara reveal the name, I would assume that the media outlets have edited that portion out and most likely by request of the judge, the pros, and the defense attorney as well. No reason to continue to broadcast something that shouldn't have been said.

While I didn't listen to the live broadcast, I know the defense did accidentally reveal the g/f's name and apologized. It was a slip and I'm sure he's very embarrassed that he did that. Just like anyone else would be as well. Protection of minors and not identifying them publicly isn't only recognized on Websleuths, but in the legal community as well as media outlets. Often times they talk about arrests in cases and the accused isn't being identified as they're a minor. That is unless they're being tried as an adult, then the protection of a minor goes out the window, so to speak.

Course, this is just mho, but I'm pretty confident with the assumption.

JMHO
fran
BBM

Respectfully, how?

But then his $400/hour work at FB would all go to waste...

Well, social media is apparently a valuable tool when defending a client in a high profile. It was extensively used in the Caylee case and it paid off. Remember Amy Singer?
So I am not faulting MOM to employ it. After all, he owes it to his client to provide the best defense possible.
But I still do not like it.

I took it that he was apologizing for pressing the investigator for a name that shouldn't be released. No one acted like he let a name slip, and the investigator continued with the line of questioning, saying he had access to the name. The judge even clarified what the investigator was saying - that he had access to the name but did not want to reveal it in court.

IMO, the dialogue is so fluid, there's no way it could have been clipped from the video without it being noticed. I don't think he actually said her name. I think several people got that impression and it's been passed around as fact since then.
Yes, please see my edit above.

I watched it three times just now --- and I'm shocked. But I agree with you. JMO

I didn't actually hear the name either but I did hear him apologize. I know when it happened the first post here was 'did he just say the GF's name?' A true court transcript with redaction would show exactly what he was apologizing for.

ETA: What I do find interesting is not one news article that I saw ran any mention of the notion that he has mentioned a witnesses' name. I also can't recall any interview since then with MOM that asked him why he blurted out the witness' name.

As opposed to previous GZ defense funds sites, this new one has a physical address(MOM's). Eager beavers can just mail their contributions via snail mail. MOM did say he had various folks, like hundreds, waiting to donate.
Provides also more privacy.

MOM reminds me of cm ... LOL

He may have been apologizing for letting a question slip out, that if answered, could have resulted in her name being spoken in court.

Video
at 1:16.

JMO
IIRC, there was/is a court order against witness names being released publicly (that the judge even references when asking why the investigator doesn't want to release the name). That would warrant apologies for asking a witness's name. I think O'Mara realized right after he asked the question that he was in trouble if the investigator revealed a name.

I'm a new member and so happy to be here.

Has anyone considered that GZ might suffer from (Short Man Syndrome?) I'm a 5'9" woman and have dealt with it most of my adult life. He seems to fit the pattern, IMO.
If I've done this wrong, I apologize. I'll get the hang of it.

Has anyone considered that GZ might suffer from (Short Man Syndrome?) I'm a 5'9" woman and have dealt with it most of my adult life. He seems to fit the pattern, IMO.
There's very little evidence to suggest that such a "syndrome" or complex exists.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6501633.stm

I mentioned this very thing last week.

Welcome to the board. It's always good to have new faces here!!

~jmo~

IIRC, there was/is a court order against witness names being released publicly (that the judge even references when asking why the investigator doesn't want to release the name). That would warrant apologies for asking a witness's name. I think O'Mara realized right after he asked the question that he was in trouble if the investigator revealed a name.
That is exactly what it looks like, and I'm amazed how many of us *assumed* otherwise. I'm still kind of reeling from this revelation, considering the intensity and volume of the discussion about something that I'm realizing probably did not happen. Wow.

I feel like a :lamb: . LOL

:Welcome1:

Get ready for a wild ride! :)

:rollercoaster:

I didn't actually hear the name either but I did hear him apologize. I know when it happened the first post here was 'did he just say the GF's name?' A true court transcript with redaction would show exactly what he was apologizing for.

ETA: What I do find interesting is not one news article that I saw ran any mention of the notion that he has mentioned a witnesses' name. I also can't recall any interview since then with MOM that asked him why he blurted out the witness' name.

BBM
I looked a bit to see if I could find any mention in the media saying Mark O'Mara mentioned the GF's name and I can't find anything.

I went back and looked at the thread when the bond hearing was playing live and can see only maybe two members saying that O'Mara said her name. After that I can't tell if people are responding to those posts or heard the name themselves.

Beginning at post #292.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169515&page=12

---

ETA:

2. Prosecutor BD objected to the question, citing concerns for the girl's safety.

ICBW, but wow.

in video:

OK so if he didn't say it I'm very sorry for having unfairly blamed him for doing so.

However, I don't like this line of questioning either. Why was he trying to get the investigator to reveal a minor's name in a televised hearing?

Doesn't he know it yet?

If he wasn't trying to trick the investigator into revealing the name to the public or the defense team this line of questioning seems completely pointless to me.
It's a sure bet that the investigator would know the names of all the witnesses or have access to documents with the names if he doesn't remember. So why ask him if he knows?

What does her name have to do with the price of eggs or Zimmerman's bond?

OK so if he didn't say it I'm very sorry for having unfairly blamed him for doing so.

However, I don't like this line of questioning either. Why was he trying to get the investigator to reveal a minor's name in a televised hearing?

Doesn't he know it yet?

If he wasn't trying to trick the investigator into revealing the name to the public or the defense team this line of questioning seems completely pointless to me.
It's a sure bet that the investigator would know the names of all the witnesses or have access to documents with the names if he doesn't remember. So why ask him if he knows?

What does her name have to do with the price of eggs?
I think it's a common question, and if you recall, he was trying to show that the investigator had not reviewed the actual testimony/statements. If he did not know the witness's name, that would be a major blow to the credibility of the investigator. IMO, O'Mara's body language after he asks the second time indicates he realized he was wrong for asking again. His hand gesture towards the investigator is kind of like the one you make when you want someone to stop talking.

---

ETA:

ICBW, but wow.

in video:

I never heard the name in the first place so I was mainly going off the assumption that he did say her name based off the posts here. Great sleuthing (to MooC0w as well) if this is indeed the case that he in fact did not 'slip up' and say her name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz