17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you accidentally snipped your quote which causes a misinterpretation. IMO it doesn't say that AC got her first law job in 1981 after receiving her juris doctor degree. . It says she did legal research and defended medical malpractice lawsuits and got a board certification in criminal trial law and the 1981 job was her first prosecutor job. imo.

Edit: Her first law job appears to have been Howell and Howell (in 1980 or thereabouts).
http://jacksonville.about.com/od/whoswhoinjacksonville/p/angelacorey.htm

Corey is a 26-year veteran of the District Four State Attorney's Office. She joined in 1981 under then-State Attorney Ed Austin after a year at Jacksonville Beach's Howell and Howell practicing insurance defense law.

http://www.floridabar.org/names.nsf/0/23723B2D36A730E385256A8300641F07?OpenDocument

Angela B Corey

Law School: University of Florida, Fredric G. Levin College of Law
Graduation Year: 1979
Degree: Doctor of Jurisprudence/Juris Doctor

http://www.angelacorey.com/sections/information/about_angela.php

Angela attended Florida State University and graduated with a B.S. in Marketing, then went on to law school at the University of Florida. In 1980 she joined the law firm of Howell and Howell in Jacksonville Beach where they specialized in insurance defense work. In 1981, State Attorney Ed Austin hired Angela as an Assistant State Attorney. During her 25 year tenure at the State Attorney’s office, Angela tried hundreds of cases including more than 50 homicides. In 2007, Angela joined the 7th Judicial Circuit as an Assistant State Attorney in the homicide investigative unit of St. Johns County.

http://www.angelacorey.com/sections/information/trial_experience.php

Angela Corey is considered one of the premier criminal trial lawyers in Northeast Florida. Her career has been distinguished by the complex homicide cases in which she has participated, co-chairing some of the toughest cases ever prosecuted in this circuit.

http://www.angelacorey.com/sections/information/awards.php

Angela’s love of criminal trial work led her to seek Board Certification in Criminal Trial Law from the Florida Bar which she achieved in 1991. This certification is based on both the quantity and quality of trial work, peer and jurist review, and a written test on tough criminal issues. Angela’s board certification was renewed in 1996, 2001 and 2006.

Angela has been honored for her handling of complex homicide prosecutions with the following awards:

Distinguished Service Award - 1992 State Attorney’s Office
33 Up and Coming Young Professionals - 1993 Jacksonville Business Journal
Criminal Justice Distinguished Service Award - 1993 Florida Council on Crime and Delinquency, Group IX,
Role Model for Women in the Area of Criminal Justice - 1995 Department of Corrections
Acts of Courage - Award- Life is Valuable, January 2001
Judicial Victim Advocate Award - Mayor’s Victim Assistance Advisory Council-April, 2004.

So they were in law school together!!!

The judge and the prosecutor went to the same small law school, class of around 400 students, and graduated a year apart.

If the judge is friends with anyone it is Corey, imo.

Can I ask where O'Mara revealed the name of the friend? Because I've watched the bond hearing a few times, and he never said it during that dialogue. I'm fairly confident the video wasn't edited or cut during that portion... Is this just speculation that's developed legs of its own?

It was during the life broadcast of the bond hearing. Glad to hear though that it was edited out of the video.

With more than a thousand other people.

It was during the life broadcast of the bond hearing. Glad to hear though that it was edited out of the video.

There's nothing to indicate it was edited out of the video, though. That's my question. Was it something someone thought they heard, and has just been blindly corroborated by others? I've also looked for references to it online (you'd think there would have been quite a furor over it), and haven't found much of anything.

There's nothing to indicate it was edited out of the video, though. That's my question. Was it something someone thought they heard, and has just been blindly corroborated by others? I've also looked for references to it online (you'd think there would have been quite a furor over it), and haven't found much of anything.

Why was O'Mara profusely apologizing for letting a name 'slip out'? They were discussing the GF at the time, IIRC.

So they were in law school together!!!

The judge and the prosecutor went to the same small law school, class of around 400 students, and graduated a year apart.

If the judge is friends with anyone it is Corey, imo.

I really do not see any problem as to who knows whom. Like I said before, it is a small world. ( I never can get that song out of my head after multiple trips to Orlando's Disney World). They are probably all acquaintances, some are friends, some are personal friends and some are related by blood or marriage. They all move in the same circles. Kind of unavoidable.
JMO.

I'm sure if you will look at all the posts here from that date you will be able to plainly see that it was extensively discussed so it wasn't like it was just 1 or 2 people complaining about it.

~jmo~

With more than a thousand other people.

I am not the one who started the little 'joke' about this judge playing favorites because he is friends with one side or the other. Someone said they had a gut feeling that he was going to give O'Mara leeway because they were friends. And several people agreed.

And I looked around and found more connections on the side of the prosecution. He is married to a prosecutor and he went to law school with the lead prosecutor. I think it is kind of funny.

The law school is much cozier than the University itself.

[In 2009, the College adjusted the size of its incoming class from around 400 to approximately 300 students,]

I'm thinking you should check something besides wikipedia for "facts". According to the University of Florida, Fredric G. Levin College of Law's own web site

http://www.law.ufl.edu/admissions/pdf/prospectus1011.pdf

The student body during the
2009-10 academic year was comprised
of 1,228 students, with 1,106
of them JD students from throughout
the Southeast and nation

Couple of WS threads back, many posters were listening and posting during the life broadcast. Me too and I heard it.
Unless we were all collectively hearing things and making the same listening error which I find hard to swallow.

I'm thinking you should check something besides wikipedia for "facts". According to the University of Florida, Fredric G. Levin College of Law's own web site

the Southeast and nation

I don't see why both can't be true.... The student body comprises several classes of 300 or so.

Why was O'Mara profusely apologizing for letting a name 'slip out'? They were discussing the GF at the time, IIRC.

He kept asking for the name from the investigator. He never said he let a name "slip out". He clearly asked the investigator for the name of the witness, the investigator said he had access to it, the prosecution said they objected to the name of the witness being disclosed, and O'Mara apologized and said what amounts to, "I asked and realized after I asked that it was wrong."

http://www.wral.com/news/video/11004815/#/vid11004815

All around 1:16:00.

the Southeast and nation

The facts I linked were correct. Mine was INCOMING class size. Like each particular class.

But it does not matter, the point is the same. They graduated one year apart in the same SMALL law school. My high school was bigger than this law school.

My kids high school was 2200 students and they knew everyone at their school.lol

Motion for gag order. The special prosecutor can ask for this? She is not prosecuting the case is she? And using the term muzzle? Is that normal? Tia

http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_Releases/motion for gag order.pdf

She didn't use the term muzzle, she's directly quoting case law...fwiw

I don't know why a defense attorney would not also want a gag order. Unless of course, he intends to contradict himself and try this case in the media...:waitasec:

:moo:

I don't know why a defense attorney would not also want a gag order. Unless of course, he intends to contradict himself and try this case in the media...:waitasec:

Isn't that the truth.

~jmo~

I'm sure if you will look at all the posts here from that date you will be able to plainly see that it was extensively discussed so it wasn't like it was just 1 or 2 people complaining about it.

~jmo~

Couple of WS threads back, many posters were listening and posting during the life broadcast. Me too and I heard it.
Unless we were all collectively hearing things and making the same listening error which I find hard to swallow.
Sounds like a mix of groupthink and confirmation bias to me. They heard O'Mara apologize during a discussion about the names, someone says "Did he just let the name slip?" and it grows legs from there.

After O'Mara asked "You don't know it?", he makes a gesture with his hand like he didn't want the investigator to respond, and the prosecutor objects almost simultaneously.

I am not the one who started the little 'joke' about this judge playing favorites because he is friends with one side or the other. Someone said they had a gut feeling that he was going to give O'Mara leeway because they were friends. And several people agreed.

And I looked around and found more connections on the side of the prosecution. He is married to a prosecutor and he went to law school with the lead prosecutor. I think it is kind of funny.

I have no doubt that lots of lawyers and judges and prosecutors have met each other before in some previous professional encounters or have friends in common and plenty of them studied law in the same schools and whatever. I am personally going to give the judge the benefit of the doubt and assume that he is able to remain impartial until I have reason to think otherwise.

I really do not see any problem as to who knows whom. Like I said before, it is a small world. ( I never can get that song out of my head after multiple trips to Orlando's Disney World). They are probably all acquaintances, some are friends, some are personal friends and some are related by blood or marriage. They all move in the same circles. Kind of unavoidable.
JMO.

I agree. The legal community is very small. They all know each other and went to law school together and socialize together and marry and divorce each other etc etc.

But they can do their work impartially and fairly, imo. And if it is a really close connection they recuse themselves. I only brought up the Corey/Lester law school connection because people were beginning to imply that Lester was friends with O/Mara, and he was going to get favoritism.

But then his $400/hour work at FB would all go to waste...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname