17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a common question, and if you recall, he was trying to show that the investigator had not reviewed the actual testimony/statements. If he did not know the witness's name, that would be a major blow to the credibility of the investigator. IMO, O'Mara's body language after he asks the second time indicates he realized he was wrong for asking again. His hand gesture towards the investigator is kind of like the one you make when you want someone to stop talking.

If it is a common question to ask the names of minor witnesses that should be protected I am shocked.

Considering his overflowing concern for the other witnesses safety delaying the discovery and for the Zimmerman family's safety forcing them to testify by phone the complete disregard of this minor's safety seems ... odd and pointed. JMO.

OK so if he didn't say it I'm very sorry for having unfairly blamed him for doing so.

However, I don't like this line of questioning either. Why was he trying to get the investigator to reveal a minor's name in a televised hearing?

Doesn't he know it yet?

If he wasn't trying to trick the investigator into revealing the name to the public or the defense team this line of questioning seems completely pointless to me.
It's a sure bet that the investigator would know the names of all the witnesses or have access to documents with the names if he doesn't remember. So why ask him if he knows?

What does her name have to do with the price of eggs or Zimmerman's bond?
BBM: I don't agree that it is a sure bet, based on my observations during DG's testimony.

IMO it's possible that as DG's responses began to confirm the same impression I was getting (LOL), he instinctively zeroed in without realizing he wasn't supposed to "go there," until the question had already slipped out. Re-watching the video, I have to agree with m00cow that O'M appeared to realize his mistake almost simultaneously with BD. JMO.

Respectfully leaving your other questions and comments for other, more informed folks to address. JMO

I took it that he was apologizing for pressing the investigator for a name that shouldn't be released. No one acted like he let a name slip, and the investigator continued with the line of questioning, saying he had access to the name. The judge even clarified what the investigator was saying - that he had access to the name but did not want to reveal it in court.

IMO, the dialogue is so fluid, there's no way it could have been clipped from the video without it being noticed. I don't think he actually said her name. I think several people got that impression and it's been passed around as fact since then.

BBM.

That seems to happen a lot. Kinda like when people keep saying he harassed 7 and 9 year old AA boys, when the call log shows that he called in concerned about the safety of a 7- to 9-year old boy (not two boys, one boy between the ages of 7 yrs old and 9 yrs old) who was walking alone on a busy street.

JMO, OMO, and :moo:

BBM
I looked a bit to see if I could find any mention in the media saying Mark O'Mara mentioned the GF's name and I can't find anything.

I went back and looked at the thread when the bond hearing was playing live and can see only maybe two members saying that O'Mara said her name. After that I can't tell if people are responding to those posts or heard the name themselves.

Beginning at post #292.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169515&page=12

Something else that is curious is...If he really did 'slip' her name in there, wouldn't Crump be shouting from the rooftops about it?

If it is a common question to ask the names of minor witnesses that should be protected I am shocked.
First, minors testify at trials just like other witnesses. Their identities aren't always protected.

Second, it seems common sense to ask if the investigator actually knows who the witness is when you're attempting to establish how credible or not credible the investigator's testimony is.

I'm a new member and so happy to be here.

Has anyone considered that GZ might suffer from (Short Man Syndrome?) I'm a 5'9" woman and have dealt with it most of my adult life. He seems to fit the pattern, IMO.
If I've done this wrong, I apologize. I'll get the hang of it.

:welcome5:

BBM: I don't agree that it is a sure bet, based on my observations during DG's testimony.

IMO it's possible that as DG's responses began to confirm the same impression I was getting (LOL), he instinctively zeroed in without realizing he wasn't supposed to "go there," until the question had slipped out. Re-watching the video, I have to agree with m00cow that O'M appeared to realize his mistake almost simultaneously with BD. JMO.

Respectfully leaving your other questions and comments for other, more informed folks to address. JMO

Which impression would that be? You don't think the investigators have a file folder that lists the people they're going to want to testify for them? How are they going to call these witnesses if they don't know their names?

Can I ask where O'Mara revealed the name of the friend? Because I've watched the bond hearing a few times, and he never said it during that dialogue. I'm fairly confident the video wasn't edited or cut during that portion... Is this just speculation that's developed legs of its own?

CNN Transcript 3/20/2012 10:00 a.m. - I saved this transcript on this day and it doesn't appear to be redacted.

"O'MARA: During this time, Martin was on the phone with a friend and described what was happening. How did you get that information?

GILBREATH: From Detective Osteen.

O'MARA: How did he get it?

GILBREATH: He interviewed the witness.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I'll object to that witness' name being disclosed.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I apologize."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1204/20/cnr.02.html

BBM
I looked a bit to see if I could find any mention in the media saying Mark O'Mara mentioned the GF's name and I can't find anything.

I went back and looked at the thread when the bond hearing was playing live and can see only maybe two members saying that O'Mara said her name. After that I can't tell if people are responding to those posts or heard the name themselves.

Beginning at post #292.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169515&page=12

Speaking only for myself, I was involved in that discussion and was basing my comments solely on the assertions that O'Mara did, in fact, state her name in court. :banghead:

First, minors testify at trials just like other witnesses. Their identities aren't always protected.

Second, it seems common sense to ask if the investigator actually knows who the witness is when you're attempting to establish how credible or not credible the investigator's testimony is.

Other trials are other trials. In this legal process I thought everybody was supposed to be extremely concerned for the privacy of the witnesses, hence all the legal action to protect them.

The investigator's ability to memorize lists of names seems less important to me than the content of the witness statements but that's just MOO.

BBM.

That seems to happen a lot. Kinda like when people keep saying he harassed 7 and 9 year old AA boys, when the call log shows that he called in concerned about the safety of a 7- to 9-year old boy (not two boys, one boy between the ages of 7 yrs old and 9 yrs old) who was walking alone on a busy street.

JMO, OMO, and :moo:

Let's be fair here. That knife cuts both ways, ya know. IMO

:maddening::banghead::pullhair::steamed::rage::cursing::noooo::waitasec:

We need a spin and a dizzy icon...JMHO

CNN Transcript 3/20/2012 10:00 a.m. - I saved this transcript on this day and it doesn't appear to be redacted.

"O'MARA: During this time, Martin was on the phone with a friend and described what was happening. How did you get that information?

BBM

Now I wonder if anyone ever truly heard a name at all and was just basing their assumption on the bolded line above. I'll admit if you hear him say that in real time, you assume he said a name because of the objection but it sounds like he was objected to before he even got to that point.

Let's be fair here. That knife cuts both ways, ya know. IMO

Everyone makes mistakes but let's be honest, MOM was getting killed on here for days because everyone thought he said her name.

I think the lesson learned is we all need to make sure something actually is said (either via transcript or tape) before determining it as fact.

He may have been apologizing for letting a question slip out, that if answered, could have resulted in her name being spoken in court.

Video
http://www.wral.com/news/video/11004815/#/vid11004815
at 1:16.

JMO

I watched it live and did not hear the young lady's name mentioned. I, too, interpreted the apology for his line of questioning. I also believe that Mr.Crump would have mentioned it in his press conference afterwards if it happened.

Everyone makes mistakes but let's be honest, MOM was getting killed on here for days because everyone thought he said her name.

I think the lesson learned is we all need to make sure something actually is said (either via transcript or tape) before determining it as fact.

I have been without TV at one of 2 locations I am at and if I had been with (TV) I would have known and we all would have known. I thought that the info I was getting here was fact. Guess I know better now. What a travesty.

I guess I don't see much difference in saying something yourself, or trying to get someone else to say it...and then getting busted in the middle of it by an objection.

That is not a complete transcript, they say some other things, MOM asks if he doesn't know the name and the investigator says he has access to it and something that I can't really hear before the objection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny