Lou Smit has Died

So so sorry :(
I know that most of the times I disagreed with his theory but I am SO SORRY that he didn't live to see the day JB's killer is caught no matter who it is,I know this case meant a lot to him and he was dedicated.

RIP Lou and sorry for all the naughty things I said ,really really sorry.

:rose:

So so sorry :(
I know that most of the times I disagreed with his theory but I am SO SORRY that he didn't live to see the day JB's killer is caught no matter who it is,I know this case meant a lot to him and he was dedicated.

RIP Lou and sorry for all the naughty things I said ,really really sorry.

:rose:

Don't beat yourself up. Many of us disagreed with him and many felt he damaged this case. But I believe, as do many of us, that he was trying to get justice for JB. He was not a villan in this case. He was a good man who I feel was misguided as far as this case was concerned.

I agree we should be respectful;however,I balance that with respect to JonBenet,and as such,have kept my comments neutral.

From the article:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15749364

But, with his death, Smit said last week, he expects to know what happened to JonBenet much sooner than those he left behind.

"I'll say, 'How could I have been so stupid? The guy was right here.' "

Well, isn't that something? :(

The great singer Randy Travis once said, "It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you. It's what you leave behind you when you go." Lou has left a legacy. What that legacy is depends, I suppose, on how you look at it.

The great singer Randy Travis once said, "It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you. It's what you leave behind you when you go." Lou has left a legacy. What that legacy is depends, I suppose, on how you look at it.

With the greatest respect, I wish to say that it's a good legacy, SuperDave. He may have done things to damage this case irreparably, but it's a good legacy. He put a lot of killers behind bars.

snipped: Though the retired Colorado Springs homicide detective put more than 200 killers behind bars in a career spanning more than 30 years, many people will remember him for the few suspects, including the Ramseys, that he helped keep out of prison.

It helps me to focus on the bolded part.

Postscript: It says something to me that some of his last words were about JonBenet and finally knowing who killed her. After all these years, it haunts him. He obviously cared very deeply about her. I respect this man.

With the greatest respect, I wish to say that it's a good legacy, SuperDave. He may have done things to damage this case irreparably, but it's a good legacy. He put a lot of killers behind bars.

I couldn't have said it better myself, tragco. It's a shame that his conduct in this investigation will probably overshadow all of his positive accomplishments.

snipped: Though the retired Colorado Springs homicide detective put more than 200 killers behind bars in a career spanning more than 30 years, many people will remember him for the few suspects, including the Ramseys, that he helped keep out of prison.

It helps me to focus on the bolded part.

I understand.

Postscript: It says something to me that some of his last words were about JonBenet and finally knowing who killed her. After all these years, it haunts him. He obviously cared very deeply about her. I respect this man.

So do I. I have no doubt he thought he was doing the right thing.

Rest in peace Lou. You are one of my heros. I've thought about you so much recently when someone posted the ..."shoes, shoes" statement on another forum.

I think Lou was a very good man; a very fair man; a smart, kind, down-to-earth man. I'm so sorry he never got to see, in his lifetime on earth, JonBenet's killer caught.

It pains me to see such negative thoughts about the man posted here on the thread about his passing. My grandmother used to say if you can't say something nice about a person who has passed, say nothing at all. There's a time and a place...

Here's to you Lou.

Rest in peace Lou. You are one of my heros. I've thought about you so much recently when someone posted the ..."shoes, shoes" statement on another forum.

I think Lou was a very good man; a very fair man; a smart, kind, down-to-earth man. I'm so sorry he never got to see, in his lifetime on earth, JonBenet's killer caught.

It pains me to see such negative thoughts about the man posted here on the thread about his passing. My grandmother used to say if you can't say something nice about a person who has passed, say nothing at all. There's a time and a place...

Here's to you Lou.

I don't see people being disrespectful at all. They are offering their condolences and stating they still have another point of view. Not everyone goes down with the boat just because it sinks. JMHO

I know but it's like saying "but"...which negates all things said before it. If condolences are heartfelt there's no need to add the rest, like I said a time and a place.

Seeing as how LS played such a big part in this case, I'd say this IS the time and place.

Seeing as how LS played such a big part in this case, I'd say this IS the time and place.
Makes sense to me. After all, if he had NOT played such a big part in this case, there would not be a thread about his passing in the first place.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if, upon hearing of my death, folks said, "Dang, I'm sorry to hear that, but mytee sure did...(insert any less-than-perfect thing I've ever done here).

Take it from me, NONE of us will care one whit about what anyone says about us when we are dead. As for me, I plan to be just as annoying from the "Other Side" as I am now. Can't WAIT to pinch people whenever I want. Death will be the ultimate Invisibility Cloak. Got a whole list of people to slap upside the head, which I can't do while alive because of lawsuits and all....

Take it from me, NONE of us will care one whit about what anyone says about us when we are dead. As for me, I plan to be just as annoying from the "Other Side" as I am now. Can't WAIT to pinch people whenever I want. Death will be the ultimate Invisibility Cloak. Got a whole list of people to slap upside the head, which I can't do while alive because of lawsuits and all....

Shhh...don't tell....that's my plan as well.

Anytime anything off-the-wall happens to my brother or myself, we swear it's our sister "throwing it down on us."

I know but it's like saying "but"...which negates all things said before it. If condolences are heartfelt there's no need to add the rest, like I said a time and a place.

When a famous or infamous person dies are we just supposed to remember the good and positive things or choices that person made in his life? Look at some of the statesmen, profits, movie stars. We never hear the end of their imperfections.

One cannot go into a case like this, especially with the way this was played out from the beginning and with the HORRIBLE INITIAL POLICE INVESTIGATION, and KNOW that Patsy was innocent!

JMO & GMAB

When a famous or infamous person dies are we just supposed to remember the good and positive things or choices that person made in his life? Look at some of the statesmen, profits, movie stars. We never hear the end of their imperfections.

One cannot go into a case like this, especially with the way this was played out from the beginning and with the HORRIBLE INITIAL POLICE INVESTIGATION, and KNOW that Patsy was innocent!

JMO & GMAB
I totally agree! It's not the day of his funeral first of all, and then there's Patsy Ramsey and Michael Jackson. Should we never speak of their actions just because they are dead??? How about when O.J. Simpson dies?:waitasec:

Wouldn't it be better to close this thread?
I mean this was the death announcement thread&condoleances,not a point his mistakes out thread.
Can't you bash him on another thread?
And don't bash ME now,this has nothing to do with this man being an IDI or supporting PR or something else.......can't we let him(a human being) RIp a bit?

RIP Lou Smit, you called it the way you saw it, and fought for what you thought was right with only justice for JonBenet as your motive.

I agree perhaps the thread should be closed and the bashing take place elsewhere. I'm thankful for the thread because I did not know he had passed until I read it the other day. That's why I come to Websleuths - it's like my local paper really.

@4Jacy and LinusK - It's not as if because a person is famous or infamous that nothing negative about them be discussed, nobody has EVER suggested that and I detect that reading into it that way is an intentional ploy for justification. I suggested a time and a place. This is the "announcement of his death" thread, much like an obituary in the paper. It would be analogous to visiting the obituary announcements at the online newspaper and post negative comments about the deceased because that's essentially what's happening... a time and a place does not mean "never ever" and I honestly believe that you know that. We have other threads and an entire forum for disagreeing opinions which leaves no reason to antagonize here.

I'm standing for the dignity and compassion for not only the dead, but those who may have loved or admired them when the appropriate time and place are given to share condolences (which are very distinct from criticisms -and there's nothing wrong with criticising someone who has passed) and now I can only ask God to help me forgive those who choose being right over compassion and anger over grace and for modertors to be fair.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back