Casey at Colonial High

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_parent

"A helicopter parent is a term for a person who pays extremely close attention to his or her child or children, particularly at educational institutions. They rush to prevent any harm or failure from befalling them or letting them learn from their own mistakes, sometimes even contrary to the children's wishes. They are so named because, like a helicopter, they hover closely overhead, rarely out of reach, whether their children need them or not.

The term "helicopter parents" is a pejorative expression for parents that has been widely used in the media; however, there has been little academic research into the phenomenon. Foster W. Cline, M.D. and Jim Fay defined "helicopter parents" very precisely in a section on "ineffective parenting styles" in their 1990 book "Parenting with Love and Logic: Teaching Children Responsibility"[1]. It gained wide currency when American college administrators began using it in the early 2000s as the millennial generation began reaching college age. Their late-wave baby-boomer parents in turn earned notoriety for practices such as calling their children each morning to wake them up for class and complaining to their professors about grades the children had received..."

She sounds like a perfect example of this. Note it's described as an "ineffective parenting style." Ya think?

ROTFLMAO...I saw quite a few of these as my kids were growing up we had different names for 'em. This is hilarious.

She has recently updated this because I know that One Republic is a new band. The song Apologize is their most recent single release. They had Stop and Stare as their first single and now this one is the current single. Even if she bought the cd it's still a new album.

It had to have been released a little over a year ago ... I got my daughter the Timbaland remix version of the song (which I assume would have been released later than the original) for her cell phone ring tone around this time last year.

It had to have been released a little over a year ago ... I got my daughter the Timbaland remix version of the song (which I assume would have been released later than the original) for her cell phone ring tone around this time last year.

I too remember "Apologize" coming out this time last year. Trust me I know, I love the song:)

I taught high school in Orlando for over 15 years.

Yes, the teachers know all about the parents. And they discuss it. The reason teachers are not interviewed in this case, is because they are permitted to only say good things. If, they can't say anything good, it is best to not say anything. It's an unwritten rule. You don't want to end up in court over a tv interview. Publicly, you only say positive things about kids.

I can guarantee the teachers at CHS know exactly what is going on and have discussed it amongst themselves. They could tell you anything you would want to know about KC and her parents.

If KC was just a half credit short of graduating it is not that she failed one semester of something. I don't remember what the actual amount is in Orange County, but the required credits used to be 24 credits to graduate (including 9th grade). But you are scheduled for 28 credits (not including summer school). So, she would have had to flunk 4.5 classes. Someone else probably knows what the actual required credits are now. I haven't taught for 10 years. I bet she violated the attendance policy (she skipped) and that's what nailed her.

Was a former cheerleading coach. You have to have a 2.5 grade point average to cheer. And you can not violate the attendance policy. I would have to see the yearbook picture of her with the cheerleading squad to believe that she cheered.

The whole thing is fishy....or as some of you would say, hinky!

BeagleMom

Spend just one month as a teacher and you're entire opinion will change.......

I spent just one month as a classroom mom, for the 5th grade, and I could tell...
Some parents will really get under your skin..

She sure looked pretty in that photo. Ive seen it before and wondered how old she was when it was taken.

I have a difficult time picturing Casey in a physics class. I'm not saying she wasn't in one, but I can't picture it.

Her personality seems to have changed in the years since high school.

Or, for that matter, in ANY Advanced Placement class.

Wasn't there a friend in the 400 pg doc who was a friend from school? She stated that she couldn't go into the A home when CA was there because CA doesn't like hispanics. Also, I believe the name is Ryan of someone else.

Amy couldn't visit at the house. Amy's the one who reported KC for emptying her account.

Interested in men and one of her favorite shows is Prison Break. I need a new keyboard because I just spit lemonade all over it.

I wish Casey could get some "gen pop" time with the likes of Prison Break's "T-Bag". :)

Amy couldn't visit at the house. Amy's the one who reported KC for emptying her account.

She was speaking of Kiomarie..she was the one claiming the CA doesn't like Hispanic thang!

casey.jpg

In my circles, a hover mother is a mom who doesn't let their kid out alone, no unsupervised playdates (regardless of the age), no dances that they are not personally chaperoning, no mall trips with friends, etc. Hovering is not about making excuses for the child, or "fixing" their problems, but is more about keeping them way too safe for their own emotional good.

I see Cindy as a control freak parent, who worries more about appearances and how they will reflect on her. JMO

Also, I disagree completely about Casey sounding educated. I have BA in Adolescence Education (7-12 English), a minor in English, and a BA in Lit Studies. What I hear in Casey-speak is an attempt to sound educated and more believable by using "big" words and phrases. I have noticed that she misuses words frequently, especially when she is trying to impress someone. She may have been "smart" on a highschool level, but beyond that I bet she would have had difficulty. Anyone with average intelligence can easily fluff her way through hs.

I've been waiting for a thread to say this. I would love to see videos of Casey as a little girl, Caylee's age, maybe. See what Cindy was like as a young mother...not that you can tell by a video tape.

I don't think she necessarily dropped out - she just did not graduate - she was 1/2 credit shy IIRC.

Sorry, not finished reading this thread when I happened upon this tidbit and it made me reminisce a bit about a friend I once had. Casey seems the person who has NEVER finished anything that she started. I believe it has been unfortunately been a running thread in her life.

I had a friend like that. They would start a "project", job, relationship, sign up for college and then somehow find a way to sabotage their great situation. Parents had to bring them back from college for too much partying and not enough studying. Cooked a up a "get rich quick" idea of selling homemade food and then backed out on the friends who started it. Signed up for college classes again but the very same day goes out to buy a brand new truck. Always shooting themselves in the foot. They, like Casey has NEVER put a period on the end of their sentences. This whole Caylee fiasco was another way of her not finishing, not completing, a task assigned to her......her job as mother. Now she maybe looking at jail time. There seems now to be a thing Casey can finally finish.......Guess the law will be putting the DOT at the end of this "SENTENCE"!

Sorry, not finished reading this thread when I happened upon this tidbit and it made me reminisce a bit about a friend I once had. Casey seems the person who has NEVER finished anything that she started. I believe it has been unfortunately been a running thread in her life.

I had a friend like that. They would start a "project", job, relationship, sign up for college and then somehow find a way to sabotage their great situation. Parents had to bring them back from college for too much partying and not enough studying. Cooked a up a "get rich quick" idea of selling homemade food and then backed out on the friends who started it. Signed up for college classes again but the very same day goes out to buy a brand new truck. Always shooting themselves in the foot. They, like Casey has NEVER put a period on the end of their sentences. This whole Caylee fiasco was another way of her not finishing, not completing, a task assigned to her......her job as mother. Now she maybe looking at jail time. There seems now to be a thing Casey can finally finish.......Guess the law will be putting the DOT at the end of this "SENTENCE"!
Great post!

wow, imagine f--king up your own life just to spite your parents!

teens, if you are reading this - there's a lesson here - don't f--k up your own life out of spite for ANYONE.

I believe that many, many lives have been ruined because of rebellion and retribution against parents.

My mom had an expression, "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face".

Considering how she was plugging a sushi bar every day, it's interesting how she lists her favorite cuisine as everything but sushi and seafood.

As I recall, on Myspace or Facebook she said that she liked it. I realize that one's taste-buds change throughout the years, but I wonder when she had the change.. Could it be that she started liking sushi just because TL liked it and worked there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa