CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, there is so much to review since last night, anything new this morning?

Also, this is interesting. My husband works with a man who lives on Jessica's street. He said that last night the neighbors were all swabbed for DNA. Makes me wonder if they're looking for a match? Maybe transfer from the backpack?

There was a girl from Toronto in 2003 - Holly Jones. She was 10 years old, she went to a friend's house one afternoon, and on her way home, a neighbor close to her home called her over. He abducted her into his home, raped and murdered, then dismembered her. He sank two duffel bags with her remains into a body of water, and figured no one would find her. But she floated up anyhow, and about 6 weeks later, he was arrested. Interesting things to consider:

The perp in Holly's case was asked for DNA, and was one of the few people that declined. I think if police are asking neighbors etc for DNA odds are they're looking for someone who is not willing to give it for any reason - that person might then find themselves on a short list of persons of interest. Just a thought.

I've been lurking and reading for days on this case - but this is my first post in regards to this matter (I hate calling it a case - Jessica is a little girl, her family members love her - and want her home - calling it a case, to me, just further depersonalizes things even more. :( Using the victim's names, is just one way I try to be sensitive to the victim and her family members, and demonstrate my respect towards each of them.

What a sweet young lady. My heart is aching for her parents and for her.

Hello WS'ers...I have been a long-time lurker here, since Ayla Reynolds went missing (that is my general neck of the woods) and have followed many cases. You people are just amazing, wonderful people and it feels like I share my heart with you as I grieve the losses of people I've never met.

Anyway, I'm hoping for apprehension of the despicable creature who did this, just like you all. It's nice to have a community of like-minded folks.

We do the same thing for our kids each year through their school (not the DNA mouth swab though). My only question has always been: fingerprints may help ID them, but how exactly will it help locate them? :waitasec:

Recent picture, correct height/weight - yes. But the fingerprints I don't get for helping find them.

Sadly the finger prints would be used to ID them.
I guess maybe fingerprints could be used to help find them. A siting at a location maybe child touched something and the police could ID the prints to say if it was the child or not. Prints would also be useful linking the victim to the perp.

Paraphrased from transmission on scanner thread: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8435263&postcount=2171"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

So Jessica calls J at 7:40 from Mom's cell phone asking if they are going to walk or ride to school.

J's Dad says he received phone call at 7:30 from an unknown voice mail.

Jessica left home around 8:25.
J's dad took him to school about 8:40.

So maybe there was two calls. Maybe JR or Mom left vm at 7:30 - and then called again at 7:40 and talked to J.

I agree with you, but have remains been found in other places? tia

I don't know. I'm behind this morning, but I know they are looking in other places, so my mind just took the leap.....

Salem

The other night when they had the area of Jessica's home blocked off - does anyone know where exactly was blocked off? Would love to see a map that shows where if anyone knows.

This article has probably already been posted, but thought I'd quote a snippet:

The FBI and bloodhounds have been canvassing (Jessica's) neighborhood and an adjacent neighborhood, along with surrounding areas on Thursday.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/11/jessica-ridgeway-neighborhood-alert/#.UHg34VPpR4g.twitter

At this late date (1 week since her abduction), would any traces of Jessica still be in the neighborhood after a dusting of snow and the passage of time? I'm just trying to figure out why bloodhounds are being used in the canvassing. TIA

That's interesting, does not sound very legal though.

manzana, many times folks refuse voluntary submission of dna, which is their constitutional right. POIs and suspects can be identified using this investigative strategy. How many cases have we seen where investigators follow a person to a fast food restaurant and retrieve their cup, straw, or cigarette butt, etc?

Just a couple of examples:

Pizza slice helped link suspect to Grim Sleeper serial killings ...
latimesblogs.latimes.com/.../pizza-slice-helped-link-suspect-to-grim-sl...Jul 7, 2010 – Los Angeles police detectives used a piece of discarded pizza to help build their case against a man ...

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Briere"]Michael Briere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Briere was initially suspected by police for refusing to provide a DNA sample when they conducted a wide-scale request for samples from all men in the area where Jones had gone missing. He was arrested and charged with her murder on June 20, 2003

Westminster Police ‏@WestminsterPD
Jeffco Mental Health & Jeffco Schools have established a crisis center at Wells Fargo Bldg 7878 N Wadsworth open until 8pm. #JessicaRidgeway

Official information about the #jessicaridgeway investigation will only come from the Westminster PD and not outside sources.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
4m Westminster Police ‏@WestminsterPD
Information on crisis center is at http://www.jeffersonmentalhealth.org . #jessicaridgeway
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
6m Westminster Police ‏@WestminsterPD
Jeffco Mental Health & Jeffco Schools have established a crisis center at Wells Fargo Bldg 7878 N Wadsworth open until 8pm. #JessicaRidgeway
Expand Reply

bumping up Kimster's clarification on scanner discussion upstairs.

The bold is by me and I am in total agreement with Kimster.

I think, personally, everyone should try to transcribe a scanner and understand how hard it is to get every spoken detail (especially when you do not live in the area) and you have a different channel talking in each ear!!

What I type here can be seen by all; what is typed in the scanner thread if for members only but somehow the line is now blurred (and I'm not sure I like that but rules are meant to be changed when needed).

I like "what happens in the basement, stays in the basement". I also appreciate it when members notify about breaking news happening upstairs.

I wanted to add my :twocents::twocents:

maybe that's why 2 times in the morning are listed?
mom's cell goes to friend's father's vm at 7:30. he calls her back at 7:40 or she calls again at 7:40 from landline?

I think it was one call, friend's Dad estimated the call came in at 7:30 and JR's mom told LE the call was made at 7:40. Both times are prior to her alarm which was set to go off at 7:45. But there seems to be lots of time discrepancies as the very first part of the rewind says that the first call to LE (as heard on scanner) came in around 4:23 PM and both JR's mom and friend's dad say she called at him at 4:30 PM. I thought she called him, searched a little bit and then called LE but I could not be remembering something I read somewhere in these thousands of post correctly. Just seems like a lot of time and communication discrepancies... but I guess that happens in the mass chaos of having a lost child.

Scanner Rewind:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8435263&postcount=2171"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

did anyone see on Denver news 4 the interviews with the neighbors of where the body was found?

the man spoke of seeing a green truck with a man walking the area where the body was found. he said he'd never seen the green truck or the man before and he knows pretty much everyone who walks down there.

the lady said she saw a car stop on the bridge and just stay there a few days ago.

maybe the suspect scouted out the area in a car, then returned with the body in the truck.

where's the green truck now?

This article has probably already been posted, but thought I'd quote a snippet:

The FBI and bloodhounds have been canvassing (Jessica's) neighborhood and an adjacent neighborhood, along with surrounding areas on Thursday.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/11/jessica-ridgeway-neighborhood-alert/#.UHg34VPpR4g.twitter

At this late date (1 week since her abduction), would any traces of Jessica still be in the neighborhood after a dusting of snow and the passage of time? I'm just trying to figure out why bloodhounds are being used in the canvassing. TIA

bbm: in my opinion yes. dogs found Amber dubois' scent a long time after she went missing (cannot remember the exact timeframe but it was nearly a year later iirc)

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/08/search-dogs-came-close-seeking-amber-last-year/

552393_401036829968303_617539627_n.jpg

Her Mom must have just gotten her school pictures from this year back. :(

I recognize that cute little outfit...I bet this was from the same day. What a darling.

jessica-ridgeway.jpg

This is heartbreaking :(

What a sweet young lady. My heart is aching for her parents and for her.

Hello WS'ers...I have been a long-time lurker here, since Ayla Reynolds went missing (that is my general neck of the woods) and have followed many cases. You people are just amazing, wonderful people and it feels like I share my heart with you as I grieve the losses of people I've never met.

Anyway, I'm hoping for apprehension of the despicable creature who did this, just like you all. It's nice to have a community of like-minded folks.

Welcome!

Thank you for joining us... Yes, this is a very sad case, and like you, I find some comfort in being with others who 'get it' like these WSers do.

I don't know. I'm behind this morning, but I know they are looking in other places, so my mind just took the leap.....

Salem

I was just hoping you had a scoop or some new information. This waiting is unbearable.

Good point about the voice mail. So Mom has said she gets home at 7:30 am, right? We have seen both 7:30 and 7:40 as the time the call was made from Mom's cell phone to J's house. Jessica's alarm set for 7:45. So either Mom called and left a message at J's house or Jessica got up before her alarm went off and did. Maybe that is how J & his Dad got mixed up and were expecting JR to show up at his house and when she wasn't there by 8:40, J's Dad drove him. When I google map from J's house to school - it takes them around the opposite way Jessica would walk. So it is possible J's Dad never even went that direction where he could have possibly seen her.

Not up to speed on the scanner postings, so maybe I'm not understanding the events, but...

Hindsight is 20/20, but why didn't the father or son call JR's mom to say she didn't show up?

The crisis center at Wells Fargo Bldg 7878 N Wadsworth is also open Saturday 10/13 10am to 4pm. #JessicaRidgeway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member