17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's right O'Mara, Mark O'Mara, not O'Malley, So sorry my goof.

He's been practicing for 28 yrs. not 3, so it will be pleasant to watch a seasoned attorney defend a high profile case. Unless Zimmerman decides to plea out. If they offer it.

George Zimmerman could go for a bench trial. A defendant can choose to have a bench trial instead of a jury trial. However, they are rarely granted.

is that true? I believe that a jury trial is a right but by no means a necessity. Ive heard tell if one is innocent, go for bench as the judge very likely will be the best thing for you....if you're guilty, go for the jury as we ALL know you never know what a jury will do.

One thing she said that bothers me, she said that Wolfinger wasn't done investigating this case when she came on. I thought he wrote it off as justified ? Isn't that what was told to TM parents ? I'm having a problem believing this..:waitasec:

I didn't like that either, but I think she is forced to being diplomatic and it's not up to her to make the judgement??

I expected manslaughter also JennaT. But today on HLN the TH's were speculating and said that the case will go to either a judge or jury and they could find guilt for lessor charges. So even though GZ is charged with 2nd degree, he could still be found guilty of manslaughter.

change of subject.....Ft on JVM...wishes Ms Corey could have tempered her elation at the presser today. He was offended by it.

MOO

wm

I was offended in the beginning of the PC too. Her demeanor was that of someone announcing something light and wonderful. This is the kind of demeanor you see from LE when a lost child has been found tired and dirty and hungry but otherwise safe after a massive search. Later her demeanor was more serious and respectful, but really, I didn't appreciate that bouyant and congratulatory attitude when announcing felony charges in a case involving the death of a young man.

I was always thinking it would be second degree murder, so I'm not surprised in the least. I just really didn't need to hear anything beyond the screams on the 911 call and learning about GZ's background to think that. I know all evidence needs to be taken into consideration, but those two things just didn't sit right with me. It wasn't just one scream. There were MULTIPLE screams for help. GZ had more than enough time to back off from the situation. And he did not. So now he will deal with the consequences of his actions.

ETA: And it's about damn time he starts to deal with the consequences of his actions. It seems to me like he's been getting away with this type of behavior for a really long time. And I just bet he thought he was going to get away with murder. To think that he was going to just go on with his life knowing that he shot an unarmed teenager as if it was nothing really shows me just how sick Zimmerman really is. And the SPD was going to let him! I am just SO sad that this all comes at the expense of Trayvon Martin's life.

All MOO

JVM saying GZ enroute to Seminole county jail as we speak. She is showing jail from air view.

Ms. Fulton said 'Thank you from my heart to your heart because a heart has no color. a heart is red.'

My heart is with you Ms Fulton.

What a class act! I wish I could give her a hug right now!

moo

wm

I just love how Ms. Fulton said this! GB them all! I am a tough old granny, but have cried so many times today.

Now that I'm hearing second degree murder, my heart breaks thinking of the details that are going to come out about how Trayvon was murdered. I cry every single time I think of how terrified he must have been. There really isn't a place in hell hot enough for GZ.

IMO

As always, I'm way behind :sigh:

BBM

This is why I haven't listened to the 911 call with the cries. I can't bear to hear that boy in terror. Horrible. IMO, not only has his family lost him, I feel we all have. This is a kid who had plans for his future. I feel that he was going somewhere and was going to be 'someone'. I think this is what Obama was trying to say when he said "if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon." This kid could have been someone important to all of us, and he was taken away.

I dunno if that's making sense. I'm relieved that GZ is being charged but my heart still hurts for Trayvon, his family and all of us. :(

He's been practicing for 28 yrs. not 3, so it will be pleasant to watch a seasoned attorney defend a high profile case. Unless Zimmerman decides to plea out.

BBM
The next step could be this. From R Hornsby's blog.

Florida Statute 776.032

This statutory enactment created what is known as “criminal prosecution immunity.” And stated that a person who lawfully defended themselves is “immune” from prosecution from arrest, detention, or prosecution.

As the procedure for making the determination of whether a person was “immune” from criminal prosecution was not defined by the legislature, the Florida Supreme Court cleared up the issue in Dennis v. State, 51 So. 3d 456 (Fla. 2010) and ruled:

A defendant may raise the question of statutory immunity [from criminal prosecution prior to trial] and, when such a claim is raised, the trial court must determine whether the defendant has shown by a preponderance of the evidence that the immunity attaches.

The result of this statute and the Florida Supreme Court’s ruling is that a defendant can now raise self defense at two stages in the criminal prosecution.

First, a defendant can file a motion to dismiss asking the court to find that they are entitled to dismissal by using the procedure outlined in by the Florida Supreme Court. If the court denies the motion, the defendant is still allowed to raise the issue with the jury.

http://blog.richardhornsby.com/

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...032&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.032.html

Now what?

Now more arguing over an arrest? He's been arrested? We could argue the charges, but that's pointless without a doc. dump? FT is so stumped he's muttering on about football?

Hmmm... Jeff Ashton will be on Dr. Drew tonight? That might be interesting?

I was just thinking that maybe they went with second degree murder in hopes Zimmerman pleas to a lesser charge of aggravated manslaughter. which still carries a very high penalty but it could be reduced with a plea. Just a thought.

I expected manslaughter also JennaT. But today on HLN the TH's were speculating and said that the case will go to either a judge or jury and they could find guilt for lessor charges. So even though GZ is charged with 2nd degree, he could still be found guilty of manslaughter.

change of subject.....Ft on JVM...wishes Ms Corey could have tempered her elation at the presser today. He was offended by it.

MOO

wm

Defense Att.'s List of Things to Do First:

1. Have a long talk with Frank Taaffe. :floorlaugh:

He needs to take a long vacation from television, I think.

As always, I'm way behind :sigh:

BBM

This is why I haven't listened to the 911 call with the cries. I can't bear to hear that boy in terror. Horrible. IMO, not only has his family that has lost him, I feel we all have. This is a kid who had plans for his future. I feel that he was going somewhere and was going to be 'someone'. I think this is what Obama was trying to say when he said "if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon." This kid could have been someone important to all of us, and he was taken away.

I dunno if that's making sense. I'm relieved that GZ is being charged but my heart still hurts for Trayvon, his family and all of us. :(

I've listened to the tape twice, I can't bear to listen to it again. I don't know what was being done to him during that time, but it was terrible.

Today we took huge steps toward justice with the arrest and charging of 2nd degree murder of GZ.

I find some peace knowing that Trayvon is now officially in the state of Florida, the victim in this case.

GZ is now officially, in the state of Florida, the accused. It's a good start.

I admire both the special prosecutor and the new Defense attorney....MOM at least initially may be an attorney who will wait and try this in the courtroom. I think the info that the prosecutor used to make her decision did come the post. The angle at which TM was shot, estimated distance, entrance and exit wounds. I would expect there to be gun powder residue on TM's clothes if he was shot close up. Who knows--the post may show he was shot by an upright GZ from a distance of 4 feet. That would give one pause. We just have to wait and trust the legal system.

PS---I wish FT would put a cork in it!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53