17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same response as above :)
LOL OK obviously we are looking at this SYG law differently I'm saying GZ in the beginning had to have a reason for approaching Trayvon. Other then "he looks suspicious" Because Trayvon was defending himself from GZ is not reason for GZ to shoot Trayvon.
I'm not sure how GZ approaching Trayvon negates the SYG law. I haven't seen any evidence that GZ initiated the physical contact between the two of them. Maybe he did or maybe he didn't.

I really do not care how it is sliced or diced. Mentally Trayvon was still a child, regardless how tall he was. Subject to fears and many other factors and more vulnerable than a 28 year old.. He did not think like an adult yet.If he was a 17 year old midget would he be more like a child?

BBM

No.

A jury (if it gets that far) will have to ultimately decide if GZ 'attacked' TM or if they believe GZ's story (TM attacked him).

Trayvon was scared. He had every right to attack and defend himself against GZ if GZ followed and subsequently ambushed him, which I believe he did based on the little bit of evidence we have seen so far..

I'm not sure how GZ approaching Trayvon negates the SYG law. I haven't seen any evidence that GZ initiated the physical contact between the two of them. Maybe he did or maybe he didn't.

This is the ultimate debate and I guess none of us here know the law well enough to say what's the correct answer. Some seem to think that simply following TM negates the SYG law. I have seen lawyers disagree on that very point alone.

Trayvon was scared. He had every right to attack and defend himself against GZ if GZ followed and subsequently ambushed him, which I believe he did based on the little bit of evidence we have seen so far..

BBM

But is that the law? If the situation was reverse and TM followed GZ, would GZ have every right to invoke SYG with a gun even if TM never physically attacked him?

Well if it was anything gross it was probably part of Trayvon's heart or chest or back. IMO

Using the scientific/medical definition of gross.

I was talking about the actions of the officer. Could have been blood or it could have been dog poop but to think he touched it and then just wiped it on his pants is gross in my book.

I was talking about the actions of the officer. Could have been blood or it could have been dog poop but to think he touched it and then just wiped it on his pants is gross in my book.

Or it could have been something he sat on in his truck or at home.

BBM

But is that the law? If the situation was reverse and TM followed GZ, would GZ have every right to invoke SYG with a gun even if TM never physically attacked him?

Why throw this hypothetical into the mix when we know this didn't happen?

Why throw this hypothetical into the mix when we know this didn't happen?

Isn't that's why it's called a 'hypothetical'? :waitasec:

The hypothetical is attempting to answer the question on the law? Do you know the answer?

Here's another hypothetical. If I start following you around the corner and you start getting scared, can you turn around, pull a gun out and shoot me, then claim SYG?

I'm not a lawyer, I'm just wondering if that's how the law is supposed to be interpreted.

LOL OK obviously we are looking at this SYG law differently I'm saying GZ in the beginning had to have a reason for approaching Trayvon. Other then "he looks suspicious" Because Trayvon was defending himself from GZ is not reason for GZ to shoot Trayvon.

Respectfully, if you are looking at from a non-legal perspective, you could conclude that he "had to have a reason." But under the law, imo, he did not. So, unless George did something else to Trayvon that amounted to a certain type of crime or threatened him with imminent bodily harm or death FIRST (which following him, in and of itself, was not), Trayvon's alleged physical assualt would be what triggers SYG at the moment GZ became fearful or serious injury or death. And that fear doesn't have to be based on Trayvon's actual ability to inflict such harm. GZ's fear just has to be reasonable under the circumstances. jmoo

I think the sticking point in the conversation is the idea that following, approaching or even confronting Trayvon verbally is illegal. It is not, imo. So that's the basis of my interpretation of how SYG will apply in this case

Still I wonder what was it GZ thought he was preventing? By law, GZ could have just thought Trayvon looked like he was going to commit a felony so by law GZ could shoot Trayvon? I don't think so, GZ had to have something more then just how a person looks, by law. When GZ confroted Trayvon, the only thing Trayvon was doing is walking, I'm pretty sure walking does not mean there is going to be felony commited. Time will tell.

In fairness to GZ, he only mentioned TM's suspicious behavior (as GZ perceived it, of course) to the 911 dispatcher, even suggesting that TM may have been on drugs. The dispatcher then asked for a description of TM's race and what he was wearing.

It's also signficant that in Angela Corey's affidavit GZ is said to have profiled TM. Profiling is not a crime. It's only a crime when it involves race, religion, etc. She would have definitely attached "racially" to "profiled" if she thought that she could prove it.

I really don't know how to address the rest of your statement. You seem to be suggesting that GZ left his truck with the intention of shooting TM to prevent a felony. If that was his intention, why call 911?

As you said, time will tell.

JMO

Forget it, it's not worth the trouble trying to discuss. Obviously everyone knows what exactly the SYG law is and how it can be used and not used.

Watching the part where the one officer is looking at the back of his head...
The officer touches something on the back of GZ's jacket, holds his hand out to look at it and then wipes his hand off on his pants.
I wonder what it was, if it were blood the officer was kind of dumb and gross at the same time.

I'd be willing to bet that it definitely wasn't blood. I would certainly hope that the Sanford Police Department has taught their police officers about universal precautions, but then again, we are talking about SPD, they probably could care less.

~jmo~

This is the ultimate debate and I guess none of us here know the law well enough to say what's the correct answer. Some seem to think that simply following TM negates the SYG law. I have seen lawyers disagree on that very point alone.

I know I don't know this law. It's very confusing to me, which is why I ask so many questions about it. I am reading everything I can find on it. But I think it's not so much GZ approaching Trayvon as it is how GZ approached Trayvon.

If GZ had been charged with manslaughter, it would have been 'aggravated' because of Trayvon's age.

That's it, and that's all.

There are such huge differences between a 17 and 28 year old, mentally-physically-emotionally. One of them should have already developed proper reasoning, problem solving skills, and impulse control. The other was in that stage of development.

:moo::twocents:

In fairness to GZ, he only mentioned TM's suspicious behavior (as GZ perceived it, of course) to the 911 dispatcher, even suggesting that TM may have been on drugs. The dispatcher then asked for a description of TM's race and what he was wearing.

It's also signficant that in Angela Corey's affidavit GZ is said to have profiled TM. Profiling is not a crime. It's only a crime when it involves race, religion, etc. She would have definitely attached "racially" to "profiled" if she thought that she could prove it.

I really don't know how to address the rest of your statement. You seem to be suggesting that GZ left his truck with the intention of shooting TM to prevent a felony. If that was his intention, why call 911?

As you said, time will tell.

JMO

BBM

I think that's a statement of fact? How can you be so sure of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA