2007 Church Yearbook Ranks Largest Denominations

Nova said:
Power.

Which is why the same remark may be hate speech or not, depending on whether it is directed at the majority or the minority.

This is not to say blacks should make racist remarks about whites, or gays should bash straights, just that we should be mature enough to understand why it is different on the rare occasions when they do.

(ETA: there is also a distinction between real and imagined fears. Fearing all Muslims are terrorists is not based on objective proof; fearing that conservative Christian denominations are hostile to gay rights is objectively demonstrable.)
Well spoken and I see your point.

sandraladeda said:
I think the comment might be regarded as one in a long line of comments designed to inflame and antagonize Christians/Catholics on the WS board, despite an awareness that these comments are hurtful and do not contribute to meaningful discussion. There are more diplomatic ways to express opinions. In my opinion, it is the relentless nature of these sorts of comments which make them hateful.

Hateful comments say more about the poster than about the group being targetted.

imo
Nicely said, Sandra! :)

southcitymom said:
Hi Nova! There was indeed a stronger post.
Did you read it South?

I don't think you were even here, so how would you know if it was 'stronger'?
Are you going to take DK's word for that?

The only reason I deleted it was because I saw I was getting reported for it, it wasn't worth getting banned over.
What I said was the truth as I see it, you are all entitled to your truths as you see them and I'm sorry, but so am I.

Nova said:
Power.

Which is why the same remark may be hate speech or not, depending on whether it is directed at the majority or the minority.

This is not to say blacks should make racist remarks about whites, or gays should bash straights, just that we should be mature enough to understand why it is different on the rare occasions when they do.

(ETA: there is also a distinction between real and imagined fears. Fearing all Muslims are terrorists is not based on objective proof; fearing that conservative Christian denominations are hostile to gay rights is objectively demonstrable.)
Exactly Nova.

And I'm the one being accused of being intolerant, if that isn't calling the kettle black I don't know what is.

Nova said:
I don't want to make this another "gay" thread, but I will repeat that I have been treated quite decently by almost all Catholics (certainly including Catholic posters at WS). (ETA: but that doesn't mean I'm not concerned about Christianity's political influence in the U.S.)

I see that Narla deleted something. Maybe she said something worse.

But equating "Scary, huh?" with hate speech is an overreaction, to say the least.
To say the least.

It's okay to say you fear Muslims [because they are all terrorists] but it's not okay to say you fear conservative Christian religions, how is that fair?

Nova said:
Being justifiably concerned about the power represented by certain groups with large numbers is not intolerance. Nobody has said those groups - or their individual members - should be oppressed; nobody has even hinted that their activities should be banned.

Using the word "intolerance" too broadly has the same effect of denying that it exists.
No it isn't, it is........justifiable concern :p

No, nobody has said that- not even me.

I have seen posters here say stuff like -'let's blow the whole lot up' in regards to Muslims and that is okay!
I've never seen anyone here come down on the posters who said stuff like that, like you have all come down on me here.

I say one word against a certain conservative Christian religion and look what happens.

narlacat said:
Did you read it South?

I don't think you were even here, so how would you know if it was 'stronger'?
Are you going to take DK's word for that?

The only reason I deleted it was because I saw I was getting reported for it, it wasn't worth getting banned over.
What I said was the truth as I see it, you are all entitled to your truths as you see them and I'm sorry, but so am I.
I did see it narla and I am very comfortable with your truths regarding the subject.

narlacat said:
No it isn't, it is........justifiable concern :p

No, nobody has said that- not even me.

I have seen posters here say stuff like -'let's blow the whole lot up' in regards to Muslims and that is okay!
I've never seen anyone here come down on the posters who said stuff like that, like you have all come down on me here.

I say one word against a certain conservative Christian religion and look what happens.
I have spent several lengthy threads debating posters who say lets blow all the Muslims to the sky, so I disagree with this assessment. Plenty of people here come down hard on what they perceive to be religious intolerance.

I do believe if you had made a similar comment about Jews or Muslims, people would have come down on you - I was agreeing with DK about that.

I feel like I backed off my original agreement that the post was "hate speech" because Nova made some very good points about power being the determinant factor in making that call and these were points I had not considered before his posts.

I still think "power" is often pereceived in the eyes of the beholder (ie - plenty of people think the Muslims have the power to cause our undoing). And I also think that if you make a statement like that about Christians (Catholics) then the Christians (Catholics) are going to defend their stance. That's human nature.

(Segueing to a slightly different focus) When I was growing up in Montgomery, AL during the 50's and 60's, the public schools all served fish every Friday, in deference to the Catholic practice back then to not eating meat on Fridays. I really dislike fish and gave my portion away every week.

Public schools serving fish every Friday for 2 decades in an area predominantly Protestant--now that's what I call power! Or maybe abuse of power, given my dislike for fish :p

Whatever happened to that Roman Catholic regulation? are the members being added to RC taught to eat only fish on Fridays?

LovelyPigeon said:
(Segueing to a slightly different focus) When I was growing up in Montgomery, AL during the 50's and 60's, the public schools all served fish every Friday, in deference to the Catholic practice back then to not eating meat on Fridays. I really dislike fish and gave my portion away every week.

Public schools serving fish every Friday for 2 decades in an area predominantly Protestant--now that's what I call power! Or maybe abuse of power, given my dislike for fish :p

Whatever happened to that Roman Catholic regulation? are the members being added to RC taught to eat only fish on Fridays?
Catholics coming into the Church are taught that Fridays are a day of penance. Prior to Vatican II, the Church basically told its members the discipline to follow, which was not eating meat on Fridays. Since Vatican II, the Church has allowed its members to choose their own act of penance on Fridays. Catholics are still required to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent.

Maral said:
Catholics coming into the Church are taught that Fridays are a day of penance. Prior to Vatican II, the Church basically told its members the discipline to follow, which was not eating meat on Fridays. Since Vatican II, the Church has allowed its members to choose their own act of penance on Fridays. Catholics are still required to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent.
I think it's primarily during Lent that it's expected. I was never taught about Fridays during Ordinary Time being about penance during RCIA. That's not to say others aren't teaching that, of course. A lot of people forget that you cannot do sacrifice on the Sundays during Lent as it's the Sabbath and is considered a Feast Day. So the Lenten rules don't apply on Sunday's. (For those giving something up for Lent.)

Dark Knight said:
I think it's primarily during Lent that it's expected. I was never taught about Fridays during Ordinary Time being about penance during RCIA. That's not to say others aren't teaching that, of course. A lot of people forget that you cannot do sacrifice on the Sundays during Lent as it's the Sabbath and is considered a Feast Day. So the Lenten rules don't apply on Sunday's. (For those giving something up for Lent.)

Hi, DK. I'm surprised that you weren't taught about Fridays during Ordinary Time being about penance. It is in the Code of Canon Law and also in the Catechism.

From the Code of Canon Law:
Can. 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church's penitential practice.36 These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).

Maral said:
Hi, DK. I'm surprised that you weren't taught about Fridays during Ordinary Time being about penance. It is in the Code of Canon Law and also in the Catechism.

Can. 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.

1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church's penitential practice.36 These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).
Thanks for the information, Maral!!!! :blowkiss:

Maral said:

According to the March 2007 edition of St. Anthony Messenger, the U.S. Bishops amended that Canon Law in 1966 to just Lent, but still encouraged people to abstain from meat every Friday.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back