2010.04.30 911 Call Statement Analysis

I am very interested in statement analysis, I think it's fascinating. Do you happen to have a link that shows Peter's status as an investigator, instructor to LE, etc...? I am also wondering how someone would become an expert in statement analysis. TIA.

Credentials and background here:

http:///2010/04/credentials-how-to-study-statement.html

Here's a link to a comprehensive website on Statement Analysis from the guy that developed the technique while working as an instructor for the US Marshalls Service - Mark McClish. The site includes some analyses from high profile cases, including Caylee, OJ, Natalee Hollaway and JonBenet. There's even a couple of sample statements provided to test your own skills. The point of the website is to market a book he has written, for those who are really interested.

http://www.statementanalysis.com/

Mark McClish is referenced on the wikipedia article on same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statement_analysis

Here's a link to a comprehensive website on Statement Analysis from the guy that developed the technique while working as an instructor for the US Marshalls Service - Mark McClish. The site includes some analyses from high profile cases, including Caylee, OJ, Natalee Hollaway and JonBenet. There's even a couple of sample statements provided to test your own skills. The point of the website is to market a book he has written, for those who are really interested.

That's interesting. You can even buy your own software and enter the text and it will analyze it for you. That could be pretty handy.

Very interesting, thank you for the link ! I had read several of the FBI articles on this, but can't find them anymore online. They might have been pulled.

I think he's waaaay off base on Ron.

I've known and parented many teens just like Ron. He wasn't coaching her and his honest reaction of violence is a learned response, nothing more. He only understands violence, he doesn't want to answer what he feels are stupid questions with zero relevance to his current problem. For example..How is knowing her birthday going to help find her? He already said she was 5 years old....He wants the police there now, not 5 minutes from now. Patience isn't a virtue of his.

His mind leaps to someone stole her because that's the world he lives in. Theft is common. He didn't think someone killed her, just that someone had her. He needs to get her back and he feels the penalty of stealing his child, is death by his own hand. Gangs operate on the very same mentality.

The first time I heard the 911 call, I thought it was staged. One of the biggest reasons was Ron's insistence on Haleigh being "stole." IMO, that was said to move the investigation AWAY from home.

If you just say she is missing, they search around the home in case she wandered off. If you say she was "stole", they are searching for a person who took her away, moving the search away from the home.

They thing they forget in their script was to have Misty wake up because she heard a car driving away. That would have made the "stole" more believable.

With this statement analysis, I would love to see the "WE" explained in GMA Sykes interview about her trip to Green Lane on Feb9. That person must have been glued to the seat of the car because whoever it was never moved..

Aloha'oe Whisperer, JMHO ... this individual didnt even know she was there in the "WE." My best guess is she didnt find out till Misty took her LVA test!!!

Oh, im pretty sure there was discussions within the Cummings family who the individual in the "WE" was going to be. They made their decision and Misty was prepped to announce it in her LVA test ... done deal!!!

Now we just sit and wait to see how this individual in the "WE" story holds up when being questioned by LE. Even with all the coaching Misty got, she couldnt keep her story straight.:twocents::twocents:

The statement analysis is pretty good in places, but a real analyst wouldn't use it to speculate that someone was coached or what that person's "saw." Statement analysis is a tool to detect the possibility of deception in an individual's statements about an event. It can show what the speaker wants the listener to think vs. what might be the truth. The best statement analysis examples I've seen would not go beyond the statement to "analyze" people who aren't making the statement. An analysis of Misty's words won't tell us anything about the involvement of Ron, Joe, Tommy or a stranger, unless she is talking directly about those people.

What the analysis shows is that Misty is likely being deceptive about what she was doing when the child went missing, what the child was doing, the situation with the back door, and her own emotional attachment to the child. These statements should suggest avenues for LE to attack the cover story she was erecting with the 911 calls. But it is irresponsible, I think, to go beyond the speaker to other potential individuals because we cannot know, from statement analysis of the 911 call, who else might have been involved. We can only use statement analysis as a tool to examine what Misty was "saying" in the call. It's the unconscious use of language by the speaker that is revealing.

Here are a link to a professional's statement analysis site and some quotations from McClish on the site and in an article. These might clarify the scope of statement analysis--what it can and cannot do.

Statement Analysis is the process of examining a person's words to determine exactly what the person is saying. This includes determining if the person is being truthful or deceptive, discovering additional information within the statement, and seeing if the person is withholding any information. Statement Analysis is based on three things:

1. Word Definitions
2. Rules of Grammar
3. Research and Observations

People’s words will betray them. Therefore, the techniques will work with anyone who has the ability to communicate. However, if the person has poor grammar skills then some of the techniques may be difficult to use. For example, the person may use present tense verbs instead of past tense verbs not because he is being deceptive but because he does not know how to speak proper English. We have to take this into consideration when analyzing a statement. Other techniques will still work no matter what their educational level or background is.

ICB: I know that word order and certain phrases can be indicators of deception. How do issues like regional dialects and suspects who speak English as a second language change the statement analyst’s approach to an interview?

MM: The approach in obtaining information should be the same. However, when analyzing the statement we have to consider regional dialects or if English is not the subject’s first language. The person may use a phrase that is unfamiliar to the interviewer. The interviewer will then need to ask additional questions to clarify what the person said. If English is the subject’s second language, this may cause him to use the wrong pronouns. An interviewer needs to recognize this and look for other signs of deception or truthfulness.

http://incoldblogger.blogspot.com/2010/03/catching-liars-interview-with-mark.html

Edited to fix quotation.

With this statement analysis, I would love to see the "WE" explained in GMA Sykes interview about her trip to Green Lane on Feb9. That person must have been glued to the seat of the car because whoever it was never moved..

This doesn't even require statement analysis, just interviewing 101. If a person says "we", the interviewer should say, "Who was with you?" I can't imagine that LE hasn't thoroughly established, from the AC guy to GGM Sykes, who was at the mobile home and whether the stories those people told hold up to scrutiny. We just don't know what they learned.

Aloha'oe Whisperer, JMHO ... this individual didnt even know she was there in the "WE." My best guess is she didnt find out till Misty took her LVA test!!!

Oh, im pretty sure there was discussions within the Cummings family who the individual in the "WE" was going to be. They made their decision and Misty was prepped to announce it in her LVA test ... done deal!!!

Now we just sit and wait to see how this individual in the "WE" story holds up when being questioned by LE. Even with all the coaching Misty got, she couldnt keep her story straight.:twocents::twocents:

Your post is the first time I saw this in writing. I always thought that GMA was insisting on that LVA and misty WAS going to reveal who the person was that drove over there with her that night. We had been doing a lot of questioning on the "WE" part of her statement and GMA wanted it explained. That part looked staged by misty as she just offered it up there.

This lengthy visit with laundry beind carried in by two people and changing of the kids clothes was not even remembered by misty upon her first interviews. She still doesn't talk about this part GMA told us about the visit....red flag is up for me!

I do think clothes were brought over though. I also think they were brought over much later....like at 4:00am as Ron and Jr would need clothes for the media and the days ahead.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back