2010.06.04 ~ Why won't Misty take a plea deal?

Because she's never going to admit to her part in HaLeigh's death? ..and she figures she's going to do time either way, so she prolly thinks that she'll do her 'drug time' and everyone will have forgotten about HaLeigh. She couldn't be more mistaken...:furious:

BBM.. There might be a problem with viewing her as a victim considering..I recall hearing her call out... Babee.. Babee..Hey Ronald.. He doesn't want to do it here..JMO

bbm~
Seriously Emeral! With her being the mastermind that she is, you know..:rolleyes:..

"baby take whatever they throw at you for the dope, they can't get you on anything else. remember I love you baby! You're a first time adult offender; they ain't got nuthin' on you, 'cept this BS, and just keep your mouth shut and it's all good."

I believe that Fields knows that no plea will be offered because of all the lying.

"baby take whatever they throw at you for the dope, they can't get you on anything else. remember I love you baby! You're a first time adult offender; they ain't got nuthin' on you, 'cept this BS, and just keep your mouth shut and it's all good."

I realize that you are not quoting but rather just giving a plausible scenario of words that Ron would be saying to Misty. to keep her on "script"(and keeping their secret). Ron to keep encouraging of everythings gonna be great, just stay on track with "our story". But this encouragement of any sort what soever could not be going on (atleast could not happen without LE KNOWING every word and every look btwn the 2 of them)because they have been incarcerated separately since day 1 of them even having an idea of these drug charges... IMO

I realize that you are not quoting but rather just giving a plausible scenario of words that Ron would be saying to Misty. to keep her on "script"(and keeping their secret). Ron to keep encouraging of everythings gonna be great, just stay on track with "our story". But this encouragement of any sort what soever could not be going on (atleast could not happen without LE KNOWING every word and every look btwn the 2 of them)because they have been incarcerated separately since day 1 of them even having an idea of these drug charges... IMO

Good Morning Jessi. I'm certain you are correct as to LE being aware of any possible direct communication between these two. I do want to remind you, however, that Misty is alleging that conversation between her and Ronald has occurred since their incarceration. It's here in this short snip of her visit with "Cher":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-eOqt-pmVM

Debs paraphrased comment, which you quoted, certainly seems a plausible extension of what Misty says to Cher.

"We're not in the business of giving up," he said." <snipped>

http://staugustine.com/news/local-ne...-deal-deadline

That statement certainly looks like Mr. Fields is going to roll the dice with his client. My guess is that Misty hasn't given Fields anything to bargain with in the Haleigh case, so he has totally separated the cases in his defense of her. I suppose he has no other alternative, than to take her case(s) to trial, in order to defend Misty.

It's a huge roll of the dice and if he rolls craps I don't see that the jury or judge will have much leeway in sentencing. He has to go full board for an acquittal or she will end up with a guilty charge. Misty is obviously dealing drugs in those videos and there are mandatory minimums for each charge.

Setting Haleigh's death aside, I would have a problem convicting someone that young in a crime dealing a few prescription pills, that would put her away for 15-25 or more years. Even smart-mouthed Hope, I could probably agree to something like 3 years for an attitude adjustment, but the judge was not given that option when she pled nolo. Likewise, with Misty, if she is found guilty of any of the trafficking charges, she will pay the piper with very high penalties.

I can see a definite defense for Misty. Her youth; her unstable home and a desire to want to belong somewhere; her relationship with a controling man who took her under his wing at the tender age of 16 and her desire to please him; her lack of education and illiteracy; and the desire of LE to solve the Haleigh case, thus perhaps targeting Misty in a drug sting. I can see where he might go with a defense.

What I do NOT understand is Misty's reluctance to turn the tables and testify against Ronald in his crimes. It would seem to me, to be effective in Misty's defense, she would need to testify as to how she was brought into this life of trafficking drugs (and her jailhouse videos remind me, she didn't even know the definition of trafficking). But that's just my take on it. I didn't go to law school and Mr. Fields did, so there.

So my answer as to why Misty won't take a plea deal is because she hasn't given her attorney the information necessary to facillitate one.

OMO

It only takes one juror to believe she was set up. One juror to say the state has not proven it's charges beyond a reasonable doubt. Her lawyer wants to be able to show how young she is and put that doubt in the minds of a jury. He knows she is going to not get any great deal. His only chance is to claim fowl and have one juror decide there may be something to his claim.

Isn't Florida a majority rules state? Convictions can be gotten with seven out of twelve jurors voting guilty, or something like that. That's how it is in murder trials. I would expect other trials to have similar rules. Where are our attorneys? I know Louisiana and Oregon aren't "unanimous jury verdict' states.

Misty could be thinking 30 - 50 years or so for drugs is better than life (or death) for murder? Or taking a chance with a trial is the best he can do for a client who won't talk?

I still think Misty has given up everything she knows and I don't think she knows as much as everyone thinks she does in regards to Haleigh.
I think she has been told what happened and does not have first hand knowledge ...

I still think Misty has given up everything she knows and I don't think she knows as much as everyone thinks she does in regards to Haleigh.
I think she has been told what happened and does not have first hand knowledge ...

BBM See that in of itself would be something LE would want to know. If she was told what happened, then WHO told her and WHY???????

Her silence and lies, failing tests, tells us that she is withholding something and that is what they want to know, and why. If she killed Haleigh, even by mistake, or by accident, then she had help getting rid of her body. Maybe that is what she is not telling, that she is responsible and is afraid of a murder rap.

Misty has lied so much and been so inconsistent that her credibility is now zero. If she were to provide some information, it would have to be something that either could be collaborated by a believeable witness or backed up by concrete evidence. In the absence of either of these, her words would be worth nothing to LE.

new to posting but have been reading for quite awhile.

imo MC is not taking a plea because she not being offered one. with her history of lying any time spent by the SA's office would be a waste if it was contingent at all on what she says. any defense attorney could tear her apart on the stand.

as far as field's using the RC was the 'ringleader' defense, he's going to have to overcome her october fiasco that happened WITHOUT RC, her first AND last busts that also occured WITHOUT RC.

this is O/T and may have already been discussed, but does anyone know why the "kelly" that was listed as suspect #2 in the last bust has never materialized or been mentioned by anyone?

I don't know about the material witness, for sure, but I would think they are trying to keep things under wrap, on the QT, until necessary. Protection, maybe? They've kept a lot of stuff quiet, so it's anyone's guess.

[/B]

BBM See that in of itself would be something LE would want to know. If she was told what happened, then WHO told her and WHY???????

Her silence and lies, failing tests, tells us that she is withholding something and that is what they want to know, and why. If she killed Haleigh, even by mistake, or by accident, then she had help getting rid of her body. Maybe that is what she is not telling, that she is responsible and is afraid of a murder rap.

IIRC - there is transcript here where Misty says "they don't wanna know about Ronald" or something to that effect. I believe Tommy has said the same thing, LE won't listen.

2010.05.23 ~ Misty Jailhouse videos released: General Discussion - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

It only takes one juror to believe she was set up. One juror to say the state has not proven it's charges beyond a reasonable doubt. Her lawyer wants to be able to show how young she is and put that doubt in the minds of a jury. He knows she is going to not get any great deal. His only chance is to claim fowl and have one juror decide there may be something to his claim.

BBM

Perhaps Fields suggested to Misty to gain the weight so she would look more child-like. IDK I just hope this trial is going to be on TV! We deserve that at least.

Why would anyone be offering her a plea? LE seems to want her in prison for as long as possible, in case they can never pin charges re: Haleigh on her. I don't think she has been offered any plea, unless she is able to prove to them what happened on 2/9 and that isn't happening for a number of reasons. We have only heard defense lawyers talking about plea deals...not prosecution.

Also I am almost positive that the defense will not be able to bring in any allegations Crystal made against RC re: domestic violence. Unless he was convicted (not sure?) this would not be allowed and maybe not even then.

Why would anyone be offering her a plea? LE seems to want her in prison for as long as possible, in case they can never pin charges re: Haleigh on her. I don't think she has been offered any plea, unless she is able to prove to them what happened on 2/9 and that isn't happening for a number of reasons. We have only heard defense lawyers talking about plea deals...not prosecution.

Also I am almost positive that the defense will not be able to bring in any allegations Crystal made against RC re: domestic violence. Unless he was convicted (not sure?) this would not be allowed and maybe not even then.

What about character witness? Can they be called for trial purposes?

"We're not in the business of giving up," he said." <snipped>

http://staugustine.com/news/local-ne...-deal-deadline

That statement certainly looks like Mr. Fields is going to roll the dice with his client. My guess is that Misty hasn't given Fields anything to bargain with in the Haleigh case, so he has totally separated the cases in his defense of her. I suppose he has no other alternative, than to take her case(s) to trial, in order to defend Misty.

It's a huge roll of the dice and if he rolls craps I don't see that the jury or judge will have much leeway in sentencing. He has to go full board for an acquittal or she will end up with a guilty charge. Misty is obviously dealing drugs in those videos and there are mandatory minimums for each charge.

Setting Haleigh's death aside, I would have a problem convicting someone that young in a crime dealing a few prescription pills, that would put her away for 15-25 or more years. Even smart-mouthed Hope, I could probably agree to something like 3 years for an attitude adjustment, but the judge was not given that option when she pled nolo. Likewise, with Misty, if she is found guilty of any of the trafficking charges, she will pay the piper with very high penalties.

I can see a definite defense for Misty. Her youth; her unstable home and a desire to want to belong somewhere; her relationship with a controling man who took her under his wing at the tender age of 16 and her desire to please him; her lack of education and illiteracy; and the desire of LE to solve the Haleigh case, thus perhaps targeting Misty in a drug sting. I can see where he might go with a defense.

What I do NOT understand is Misty's reluctance to turn the tables and testify against Ronald in his crimes. It would seem to me, to be effective in Misty's defense, she would need to testify as to how she was brought into this life of trafficking drugs (and her jailhouse videos remind me, she didn't even know the definition of trafficking). But that's just my take on it. I didn't go to law school and Mr. Fields did, so there.

So my answer as to why Misty won't take a plea deal is because she hasn't given her attorney the information necessary to facillitate one.

OMO
I agree with you on Hope's sentence, but these minimum mandatory charges, pretty much take human compassion, out of a judge's & jury's hands. Unless, a defendent rolls the dice for nothing, he automatically gets a long sentence. But ironically enough, that's one of the reasons, this seems like entrapment, to me. (to get these people in such desperate situations, that LE can break them). But, unless a deal of no time is offered, their plan could backfire. From what I saw on the videos, these charges seem bogus. Manufacturing meth, selling it, using it...seems worse to me. especially, when you factor in the risks of a lab blowing up & killing someone, (especially, a child). IDK for sure, but if I was Misty's lawyer, I think I'd go to trial.

They're recidivists; they're all multiple offenders. Getting a mandatory minimum is the law telling them they've had their chance to make their lives right. Now the law has to take over and make their lives not damage the rest of the community in which they were living.

Ron told her to get that tattoo to prove her love (blah blah) and no doubt RC has used that same MO to get her to do whatever he wanted ... "to prove her love"
He said the rat incident was to see "if she would lie"
He is a master manipulator, and that will all come out in court. Previous women in his life will acknowledge this also, e.g. the gun to his mouth, throwing over the bridge ... physical, emotional and mental abuse.
I do NOT believe MC can accept a plea deal as she has no knowledge of "who actually took Haleigh"-only clues to the lives of those that may be suspect (POI) - JMO
"someone known to Misty Croslin and/or Ronald Cummings. There is no specific individual whom investigators have identified as a person of interest."
(9 Feb 2010: Hardy has asked that the following information be released to the public) http://www.pcso.us/2010-2-9-a

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back