2010.06.07 SM Claims inaccuracies in media reports

If she had ever contacted them at all, they would have said that "we got an email from" or a voice mail, or we spoke to, etc. AND they would have for sure used an exact quote just to have the scoop of having been in direct contact with the family when the family was NOT speaking to media. I am looking at this from the angle of a journalist and knowing from experience how they work. Having a direct quote from the family would have been BIG and I mean really BIG and they would have used it! Just look at how demanding they were to get a family statement for days and days. If they had ever had any contact with them prior to that, believe me it would have been right there in their headline article.

jmoo
Why would we doubt that Terri contacted the media to clear up what she feels are inaccuracies? By the time a media person questioned LE about this, the investigation appears to have begun closing the ranks, as far as allowing any information not approved by them to be discussed.

This may be the very best thing for Kyron, but it certainly doesn't mean that Kyron's step-mom was not contacting the media herself. It appears, that if she did (and why would the reporter lie?) LE, or someone, asked Terri to no longer speak publicly.

This is just speculation on what the legitimate news report, linked above, could mean.

This is also my opinion.

The only place that comment was made by TH was on her FB page, so we are not supposed to discuss anything from that now private page.

jmoo

I don't know if I was in this situation,if I would be thinking about posting
on my Facebook page.I would be on tranquilizers and balling my eyes
out. Just don't know if a "misstatement" would have been that important
to me at this time. I'm just saying moo:angel:

I get what you're saying, Raeann. Really I do. However, the family is NOT speaking to the media outside of prepared LE press conferences. If the line of communication is shut down, and the reporter asks LE directly which inconsistencies were being referred to, and the answer deflects to a 'prepared statement' which says they are GETTING the correct information, doesn't it leave one to conclude that the media, regardless of what they're getting, could be representing the information which could lead to a wrong conclusion?

Perhaps it should suffice to say that media everywhere likes to take a story and make of it what it will until they're forced through a clearer and unequivocal comment to walk their own conclusions back a few steps.

They may have been getting the correct information from LE, but media made quite a few errors in the first reports.....so As late as yesterday, which is the last time I checked, the video link which shows the truck being towed away to the dealership contains a glaring error. Although the video says LE tells media that the family had the truck towed to the dealership, the written article which appears at the same link claims that "LE had the truck towed."

That is a huge error with terrible implications, and days and days later, there was still no correction. Anyone who reads the article but cannot access the video will be left thinking that LE towed the truck to process it for evidence......so yes, I do believe that even though the media received the correct information, they "could be representing the information which could lead to a wrong conclusion" In fact, at least regarding early reports, I think that is exactly what media did, and on purpose, too. Sensationalism sells.

This was one of the original thoughts I had regarding this as well. I'd like to know what precisely she felt was being wrongly reported, and why she didn't correct it.

I am sure she was feeling defensive when she made that statement, which I also believe was a post not made directly TO media.

She was very wise, IMO, not to try to hash this out publicly, because as long as LE is on track and on target, wise people will be able to discern the difference in importance to reports quoting LE and reports quoting "somebody"

I take the facts of the case from the page provided by the sheriff's department, and anything else, even if I personally believe it is accurate, is up in the air.

I don't know if I was in this situation,if I would be thinking about posting
on my Facebook page.I would be on tranquilizers and balling my eyes
out. Just don't know if a "misstatement" would have been that important
to me at this time. I'm just saying moo:angel:

The only studies ever done on how parents grieve when a child goes missing or dies shows that just about 50% of parents are going to grieve quite differently from others. Some people grieve loudly, for a long time. Some people never get past it. Others (called resilients) pick themselves up by their bootstraps almost immediately. They don't fail to grieve: they do grieve. But they continue with their normal lives.

Google Dr. Bonnano to read his grief studies.

It is very freeing, and really really helps us to empathize with others when we learn their behavior isn't "odd" it is merely "different" and well within the bounds of normalcy.

I've been reading virtually everything, and I haven't seen anyone point this out yet. In the Monday June 4th update, which is given by Captain Jason Gates from the Multnomah County Sheriff's office. At the end of the statement, when things shift to Q & A, A member of the media tells Captain Gates that Kyron's stepmother is informing the media that they are reporting inaccuracies in the articles and reports from the weekend.

You can find the video here.
http://www.kgw.com/video?id=95820394&sec=547977

5:00 - Media asks, “Yeah, cause, we understand from Kyron’s stepmother that there’ve been several innaccuracies being reported over the weekend, and…we’re getting information from you guys. Can you comment on what she’s referring to? What’s wrong that you guys are giving us?”

“I don’t know what innaccuracies she’s indentifying. What I can tell you is that everything you’re receiving from us is absolutely correct.”

This fascinates me. This means, that, as early as June 7th, The Stepmother WAS contacting the media and telling them that their reports weren't entirely accurate, but when LE is questioned about it, they maintain that everything they've shared has been true. Wow.

I just thought this was pretty powerful. What could that mean?

BBM: I take this to mean, as of Monday June 4th, SM was already upset with the media. Why?
As far as I know all they said about her was the last time she seen Kyron was at the school... or is there something I am missing?

Wasn't the 4th a Friday?

BBM: I take this to mean, as of Monday June 4th, SM was already upset with the media. Why?
As far as I know all they said about her was the last time she seen Kyron was at the school... or is there something I am missing?

I cannot get the multi quote thing to work so I'm bouncing off your post..

Monday was June 7th, Kyron went missing on Friday June 4th. =)

Her statement about inaccuracy in the media, to me, says one thing. Preemption.

To this date, though, the media have been quite respectful of the family's privacy. So her preemptive strike against the media rings hollow. However, I believe in time as the details emerge, we'll understand better why she posted that.

I get what you mean, but I am not sure I agree. I understand her statement about inaccuracies was made as a post on a FB page which is now private. The wording when the reporter asked the question seems to allow the possibility that they were not contacted directly by Terri. In fact, the wording seems to lean in the other direction for me, but that is just my own opinion, based on my subjective views.

IF she contacted media directly and showed them she'd come out fighting, then I would be more inclined to agree with you. If, however, media read a FB posting in which Terri told someone something along the lines of "don't believe everything you read, because there have been errors in the news articles" then I would tend to think she was just cautioning her friends to keep their minds open.

BTW, horrible things happen to people who have a past as well as those whose past may be milder. However, unless her past has a direct link to what has happened to Kyron, it really shouldn't bother any of us. At least, IMO!

I've been reading virtually everything, and I haven't seen anyone point this out yet. In the Monday June 4th update, which is given by Captain Jason Gates from the Multnomah County Sheriff's office. At the end of the statement, when things shift to Q & A, A member of the media tells Captain Gates that Kyron's stepmother is informing the media that they are reporting inaccuracies in the articles and reports from the weekend.

5:00 - Media asks, “Yeah, cause, we understand from Kyron’s stepmother that there’ve been several innaccuracies being reported over the weekend, and…we’re getting information from you guys. Can you comment on what she’s referring to? What’s wrong that you guys are giving us?”

“I don’t know what innaccuracies she’s indentifying. What I can tell you is that everything you’re receiving from us is absolutely correct.”

This fascinates me. This means, that, as early as June 7th, The Stepmother WAS contacting the media and telling them that their reports weren't entirely accurate, but when LE is questioned about it, they maintain that everything they've shared has been true. Wow.

BBM. I'm not getting the correlation between Terri complaining that the media was inaccurate, and LE stating their info was accurate. Terri complained about the media info - not LE info.

Not everything media has reported came from LE. We don't know if Terri's complaint was about LE info, which although accurate, could have been inaccurately reported by the media, or if her complaint was about non-LE provided info the media reported.

I don't believe that where they got that from.

Even though it is reporting on its website that Kyron's body has been found, the KOIN News 6 is saying it is not true and they are not sure how it got on their website.

Even though it is reporting on its website that Kyron's body has been found, the KOIN News 6 is saying it is not true and they are not sure how it got on their website.
yes!!! THIS IS TRUE!! I spoke to them TWICE. Poor lady was freaking out. I told her SHAME on the guy that wrote that!! They need to go LIVE and report its wrong and get on their knee's saying they are sorry!

This is exactly why we should never listen to Rumors. This is what the news person did.

Just when I think I've learned leassons of life I keep learning more.

Do what? IT ended up on KOIN's website? In comments or an article?

CRAZY!

Do what? IT ended up on KOIN's website? In comments or an article?

CRAZY!

ARTICLE!! but its stuck in the Deleted files and for SOME REASON coming up in the search but its a RUMOR not true.

What's worse is that it is still there. They haven't deleted it entirely!

What's worse is that it is still there. They haven't deleted it entirely!
They said the guy went home that wrote it and they are trying! ( or that's what they told me). The Rumor they told me came from a "crime" Website tip. UGH so it could of came from that thread here.

Yep, it's also possible that the SM heard things from other people that were inaccurate, and THOSE people claimed to have heard the inaccuracies from the media - and that may or may not have been true. So the SM's perception that the media was getting stuff wrong may have been out of proportion to what the media was actually wrong, but she wouldn't have known that.

I agree with this. Also, many of the media sites have the ability for any one to comment on articles. From the beginning a lot of those comments have been awful.

First of all, that is factually true; the media reports from the first few days were full of inconsistencies. There were a lot of posts here on WebSleuths pointing out inconsistencies based only on logic. I'm sure there were more errors apparent to someone who knew more of the facts.

Second, I believe that the SM made a post to her Facebook page saying something to the effect that there were errors in the media. I believe that media question was based on her FB post.

You are so right! We were going crazy in the first thread because the information reported was changing every hour. It was a mess and if it's your child who is missing, you want the media or someone to get it right. If it were my child missing, I'm sure I'd be pulling my hair out over the misinformation. For sure. Seems to be happening all over the country with the media.moo

We've had two MAJOR inaccuracies in about 24 hours and IMO, at this point, this should not be happening. Add all the changing information that we had at the beginning and to be honest, I have no problem with the SM's comment.

Another stellar moment in media:

Fox News just reported about the rumors swirling around "Kyron's step-mother, Desiree Young." :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

They were just repeating the same gossip about <rumor removed by mod>.

To make it even more clear, they chose a 2-shot of Terri and Desiree together at the press conference.

Morons.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg