2010.06.08 Misty quiet at FELONY PRETRIAL HEARING: Trials set for same day Aug 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Misty resting her feet on the rungs of the chair? It looks like a swivel-type office chair on casters. jmo

looks like it to me
I often do that when my feet don't reach the floor comfortably

she is a tiny little thing

I've read that Misty is 5'4" - same height as moi. I wouldn't consider myself a "tiny little thing". Lisa Croslin, Misty's mom is said to be 4'11" - that is very petite, imo.

Judge Sets Trial Date for Misty Croslin on Drug Charges

"Snip" http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=157135

Today in court, Putnam (?) County Court Judge Wendy Berger asked if the prosecution had any offers on the table for her; they do not.

Investigators have maintained she may not be a suspect, however Croslin knows more than she's letting on about what happened that night.

The search has continued ever since then, but reintensified in April after a tip led investigators to a boat ramp near Haleigh's home in Satsuma. :furious: The tip turned up nothing.:furious:

BBM: I think there is a typo in the article because the hearing was in St. John's today not Putnam.

The evidence they could be waiting for are things such as a judge's order to allow the sting and record it, information about the informant, copies of the tapes that haven't been published, names of all involved in the sting, any other evidence. If I recall they agreed to participate in discovery... so that would mean that the State would have to provide all evidence to the defense and vice versa.

I wonder if one court will delay? I honestly don't believe it is reasonable to have her appear before two courtrooms in two different jurisdictions on the same day. It reminds me of the Debra Lafave case, the teacher in Tampa convicted on statutory rape. It crossed county lines thus two different jurisdictions and separate charges . The judge in the second county refused to accept plea-agreement terms from the first county that included no prison time and set a Trial date. The prosecutor in the second jurisdiction later dropped the charges.

Croslin's attorney, Robert Fields, said he is waiting on evidence analysis from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and said he expects to ask later for a change in the St. Johns trial date.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...st-drug-trial-date-set-st-johns-misty-croslin

What kind of evidence would be tested in the drug case?
The drugs themselves. In drug arrests, the confiscated controlled substances (drugs) are sent to a crime lab to be weighed and chemically analyzed.

The drugs themselves. In drug arrests, the confiscated controlled substances (drugs) are sent to a crime lab to be weighed and chemically analyzed.

Yep, that is pretty much what this article is saying. Wouldn't it be something if some of the pills were placebos. I wonder if LE uses placebos in place of the real drug at times. Maybe that is why Fields wants all the pills tested, if they are placebos then Misty can't be charged for those. Sounds like a smart move on Fields part.

Misty Croslin gets August 23rd trial date
Media circus surrounds brief appearance in court

Posted: June 9, 2010
"Snip" http://staugustine.com/news/local-ne...ust-trial-date

By RICHARD PRIOR
Elbow room was at a premium in the St. Johns Co. Circuit courtroom as extra reporters and television crews jockeyed for the little space available to get a clear look at just one of the 51 defendants listed on the afternoon docket.

But it all turned out to be a brief, routine hearing for Misty Janette Croslin, who is now tentatively scheduled to go to trial in August on one count of trafficking in prescription medications -- oxycodone and hydrocodone.

She faces 25 years in prison if she pleads to the offense or is found guilty at trial.

Misty Croslin faces an additional 7 trafficking cases in Palatka.

Circuit Judge Terry LaRue told her Thursday that Aug. 16 is her "last-chance plea date" to work out a deal with prosecutors.

After that, she is open to the potential of minimum mandatory sentences that could total decades in prison.

Croslin appeared pale and lifeless as she sat in front of Circuit Judge Wendy W. Berger's bench. She has gained a little weight and barely acknowledged the bank of video and still cameras lined up off her left shoulder.

She looks as forlorn as she did the day of her arrest. She still has the same thousand-yard stare.

While activity swirls around her, she seldom looks to the side and rarely speaks.

Fields told Berger that the "few" depositions he had taken probably completed the process. He said he is still waiting for some discovery materials from the state.
He also said his client hasn't received any sentencing deals from the prosecution.

Fields is being cautious about what he says in court or agrees to with the prosecution until the FDLE confirms that the pills seized Jan. 20 were, indeed, oxycodone.

But would they have needed this info for Hope's situation? Seems to me LE could have/should have gotten chem results back fairly quickly. Just wondering out loud....I personally think (read HOPE) that there is something else delaying this process and I am praying its the truth......:crazy:

In a case with multiple charges like Misty's, the defense tries to get some charges dismissed or at least reduced. With one or two deals a typical defense tactic would be entrapment. With eight separate deals on video, an entrapment defense would be difficult to argue, if not impossible.

If it could be proven that even one of Misty's UC drug deals was actually for a lesser amount than given in the UC report, Fields could push to have the charge dismissed. At the very least, it would have to be reduced, which might reduce the mandatory minimum for that charge. If Fields could prove it on other charges those could be dismissed as well.

Fewer charges, or lesser charges, would not only reduce the mandatory minimum, it could pave the way for Misty going through Drug Court or being sentenced as a Youthful Offender. She may be eligible for that regardless, but with fewer or lesser charges, her chances improve significantly.

video report on Misty's court appearance yesterday

http://www.news4jax.com/video/23837549/index.html

Thank you twall for the video. Those leg irons look very dangerous. I can see how someone could easily fall.

The look on Misty's face is not going to help her at all. She looks angry and cocky; judges don't like that. Also, they should give her something for her skin, it is all broken out, and must be terribly uncomfortable. Who is the heavy set woman in back and off to the right of Misty that seems to be smirking?

Yep, that is pretty much what this article is saying. Wouldn't it be something if some of the pills were placebos. I wonder if LE uses placebos in place of the real drug at times. Maybe that is why Fields wants all the pills tested, if they are placebos then Misty can't be charged for those. Sounds like a smart move on Fields part.

If the drugs are fake or placebo's it would not knock out the trafficking charges. Their was intent to traffic drugs. The buyer, rather it be the UC or Ron/Misty, believed the drugs they were buying was real.

In one of the tapes, they shorted the UC. He was supposed to get 25 pills and on tape they counted out 24. The police report lists the 25 pills.

Report on yesterday's hearing coming up on HLN.

Well, that was quick. Just clips from the video posted above with brief commentary about the drug charges, that Misty was married to RC, and that Misty has until August 16 to take a plea deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther