2010.07.01 - The Oregonian and Willamette Week not invited to the presser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not me. I don't let the trivial things bother me, given that Kyron is still gone. All I saw today that made any impact on me was a begging, desperate, distraught, sad mother pleading for her little boy, in the face of so little hope that he's out there alive.

Not allowing reporters from the two biggest newspapers in Oregon to be present at a press conference about your missing child is anything BUT trivial. If my kid was missing I would want his face everywhere. Truly bizarre behavior, but that is nothing new with this case. It tells me that Kaine's main priority right now is protecting himself and controlling the media.

I wonder if there are yet even more unsavory details about the dynamics of this family that haven't been released yet. What we know could only be the tip of the iceberg, and Kaine could be doing damage control by showing the other news outlets exactly what will happen to them if they report things that Kaine disapproves of :no: :furious: :banghead:

Moo and all that.

What I don't like is not knowing if the team-player outlets are now publishing only Horman-approved news in order to get an invite to the next soiree...

I hate when the little press we have left is messed with...I do not put much stock in internet news, but I do count on newspapers and major networks to report what they learn without fear of hurt feelings.

He said more than that -- he also clearly cut them a break given what they're going through (which he has actually been through), and was not condemnatory of them at all.

Nancy Grace said that and he agreed. In addition, he didn't seem to be aware of the process by which papers were excluded for not being 'team players' but Klaas seemed to think they were just omitting local papers that they thought might not be able to help.

And I don't think anyone is trying to condemn them, it is just behavior that quite clearly doesn't logically fit with their stated goal of focusing upon finding Kyron and we're just trying to discuss it in a way that I believe is within the rules of this site.

Looks like he may have a control problem. IMO

I would want any and all news and info about my child out there if my child were missing. Not everybody is going to do things exactly how you want it done, but IMO that one news outlet may or could have been the one who got to the person who may be responsible for Kyron disaperance. I would deal later with the petty stuff after my child was found.

The more I think about the "control issue" aspect of what happened at the PC, the more nervous I am getting about it. Something is just not right here. I realize that is not very scientific or informative, but, in a word: "wow".

If they want Kyron's face out there, they should not get to pick and choose what the media reports. I have yet to see an article that didn't mention him and the general facts in regards to him being missing. I can understand being upset that WW reported about Terri's prior DUI conviction and other things, but armchair detectives would have found it sooner or later anyway and it would have still been all over the internet, which would have put it in the news.
None of this can ever be about JUST the missing child, because that child has parents and family, and the family dynamics always play a big part in finding the child. LE has to study those dynamics as well, in order to get a feel for what happened. In short, they cannot be picky when it comes to media coverage... if they try to control it too much, they will end up getting NO coverage whatsoever.
I'm just sad that it has come to such a thing. Poor Kyron! I hope their belief that he is alive somewhere turns out to be true.

More Notes from the Strange Press Conference with Kyron Horman’s Family

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/01/more-notes-from-the-strange-press-conference-with-kyron-hormans-family/

When Kyron comes home they joked and said they’re not letting him leave the house but also said they had vacations planned, camping and fishing. They will focus on making him happy every day.

They would like the community to continue what they’ve been doing. Keep Kyron’s face out there and look on their properties for him.

The family is helping with the case everyday by working with investigators and the media to make sure his face stays out there. They’re handing out fliers, getting t-shirts out there. Desiree said it is her goal for everyone any where in the world to know what Kyron looks like.

They have been fully briefed by police and they are optimistic.

They are fully confident in the investigation and investigators who are doing everything they can to find Kyron.

Scheduling:
Next week they will meet with media at 10am on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday

On Thursday they will do interviews starting at 4pm but nothing live. Everything taped as has to be held for air until Friday because Kyron went missing on a Friday.

What I don't like is not knowing if the team-player outlets are now publishing only Horman-approved news in order to get an invite to the next soiree...

I hate when the little press we have left is messed with...I do not put much stock in internet news, but I do count on newspapers and major networks to report what they learn without fear of hurt feelings.

EXCELLENT point.

Exactly, they accomplished taking the focus off of Kyron in two ways: by excluding media that was there to report on what they had to say about his disappearance - including apparently the largest newspaper in Oregon - and by shifting the focus to their 'agenda', their rules for 'team players' and more about them, them, them (or more precisely the father and rules he was laying down) -- and not Kyron.

And Mark Klaas on Nancy Grace rightfully said earlier that he actually can put himself in their shoes and he doesn't get excluding various members of the press either. I posted earlier that I thought how that that's how he would see it since he always says that parents of missing children tend to manage to not be offended by investigations because the focus is on doing whatever to move an investigation forward and find their child. And it makes sense that that would go for the press as well as law enforcement.

My opinion only...but I think KH doesn't appreciate family history being reported by these media outlets. But what he needs to realize is that, that is the reporters jobs. History tends to repeat itself and it helps to give insight into the family.

However, I have always thought that if something tragic happened in my family and we were thrust into the spotlight...my history would crucify me. As a teenager I was every parents worst nightmare...I ran away...did drugs...rebelled in every way...got pregnant. But the moment I had my child I changed my life in a drastic way. Even still, it's my history and people would still judge me by my past. IMO...but that would be the least of my worries if my son was missing. I wouldn't care what anyone thought of me, I would just want him found!

Kind of contradictory, isn't it? Kaine wants the focus to be on Kyron... yet he says, in effect, WE are a team and if you can't play by the rules WE set out then you can't be on OUR team. Good grief! I don't think I like this guy and I'm getting a very bad feeling about this.

However, I have always thought that if something tragic happened in my family and we were thrust into the spotlight...my history would crucify me. As a teenager I was every parents worst nightmare...I ran away...did drugs...rebelled in every way...got pregnant. But the moment I had my child I changed my life in a drastic way. Even still, it's my history and people would still judge me by my past. IMO...but that would be the least of my worries if my son was missing. I wouldn't care what anyone thought of me, I would just want him found!

But remember that history may hold a clue if it involved your chiid missing. As a parent you would want to explore every thing, every possibility, every one you had ever come in contact with.

More Notes from the Strange Press Conference with Kyron Horman’s Family

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/01/more-notes-from-the-strange-press-conference-with-kyron-hormans-family/

When Kyron comes home they joked and said they’re not letting him leave the house but also said they had vacations planned, camping and fishing. They will focus on making him happy every day.

They would like the community to continue what they’ve been doing. Keep Kyron’s face out there and look on their properties for him.

The family is helping with the case everyday by working with investigators and the media to make sure his face stays out there. They’re handing out fliers, getting t-shirts out there. Desiree said it is her goal for everyone any where in the world to know what Kyron looks like.

They have been fully briefed by police and they are optimistic.

They are fully confident in the investigation and investigators who are doing everything they can to find Kyron.

Scheduling:
Next week they will meet with media at 10am on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday

On Thursday they will do interviews starting at 4pm but nothing live. Everything taped as has to be held for air until Friday because Kyron went missing on a Friday.

What???? They can only air the tapes on Friday because Kyron went missing on Friday??? WTH??? I never heard of anything like this before!
Geeeesh! Sounds almost......... witchy.
No offense to any witches out there. :innocent:

My opinion only...but I think KH doesn't appreciate family history being reported by these media outlets. But what he needs to realize is that, that is the reporters jobs. History tends to repeat itself and it helps to give insight into the family.

Exactly! Look at what the Van Dam's endured! Their drug use & sex activities had very many people ready to convict them for Danielle's disappearance *HOWEVER* they held their heads up & kept the focus on their missing child & if memory serves they NEVER banned ANY news outlet or anyone or anything that could help find their child.Some awful things were said about their family(a million times worse than ANYTHING said about the Horman's)and yet they never went looking for "team players".........MOO!!!

But remember that history may hold a clue if it involved your chiid missing. As a parent you would want to explore every thing, every possibility, every one you had ever come in contact with.

I totally agree...that's why I said KH needs to realize that history gives insight! As much I would hate my teenage years coming to light...it could give insight and I wouldn't care what anyone thought about me. My focus would be my son. But I think he doesn't appreciate those news outlets focusing on history and family dynamics.

Some interesting comments on this article at the end of this the Williamette Week article. It seems like there is alot suspicion goin on now. I didn't realize till now that the stepfather was a medford police detective. This case is all over the place.

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/01/kyron-hormans-family-boots-ww-and-the-oregonian/comment-page-1/#comments

Thanks Winnts, I had no idea the public has been stirred to this point and in that direction. What a wake up call !!

Geez. I don't know what to make of Kaine's behavior but after reading the article about his "team player" shananigans (WTH!), I'm beginning to wonder if he exerted this kind of control over Terri, thus the reason for her not speaking out and now she conveniently looks like the bad guy in all of this. I thought I read somewhere that Kaine was working from home that day (June 4). If true, why didn't he go to Kyron's exhibit... maybe he did. Maybe Terri took Kyron in her mustang w/his project, helped him set it up, stayed for a while and left and Kaine showed up in the white truck... something stinks here.
JMHO ~

I'm not only back on the fence, I'm starting to lean in the other direction now.

This makes no sense to me. I wish I could have gotten the tone of the first statement, because jovial joking as if he's run away from home for 15 mins is how it's coming across to me. I don't know, the tone as I read it just doesn't seem to fit the gravity of the situation we've been presented.

And then asking people to continue to look on their properties? Is he just chilling in a barn somewhere, playing an elaborate game of hide and seek?

I've been on the fence about TH despite the negative attention she's received. With the baffling statements given today, I'm not sure what to believe.

Watch it with the snarky comments about the family and to each other. This post is landing at random and is not about the post above it. I removed the ones that were over the line.

Thanks!

I'm not only back on the fence, I'm starting to lean in the other direction now.

From the beginning I was very strong in one direction. But after reading comments on local new stations and the "orchestrated mini presser" today; I am seriously confused. Which is very rare for me. I don't know what to think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500