2010.07.24 - The Oregonian: Armchair detectives article

Oh Wow!!! Finally a great article about Websleuths. Tricia, Kimster and ValHall you did great and it was wonderful that Kimberly was able to identify and communicate to others what we do here. I will send her my compliments for an article well written.

Just think how furious those basher's are!!! LOL

KUDOS to all of you and thanks for providing a place for discussion that is safe (I don't worry about who has my personal information, etc.), up-to-date, readable, and expletive free. You, the moderators, and the rest of the posters are class acts.

I haven't been a member for even 2 months yet and I feel very lucky to be in such a wonderful group. Rather than repeat,I'm quoting Tink (Hope you don't mind Tink. TIA) because she's on spot with all the reasons I really like WS. The article was great Tricia and Kimster. Thanks.

By the way I have collected cans before when I was beyond broke and a teenage. If I have to do it again I will. There is no shame in hard work despite what John Ramsey may think.
<Quote>

Thanks Tricia and Kimster! It's truly a privilege to be a member of WS and I am really thankful for it.

BTW, I collected my share of those cans! They paid for me and my sister to see many movies at the theater when we were growing up. I just realized that I am around the same age as you two, ya think teenagers collecting cans is a thing of the past? I hope not 'cause you've really got to wanna go to do this to earn enough money!

I LOVED the article. These cases are so close to our hearts, it's nice to know that what posters do here actually helps solve them. We are a unique group among these true crime forums--some of which feel like a mean-spirited, creepy conspiratorial bunch of characters. I think it's because the board is operated so professionally....thanks to all who give their time to make it work!

Great article, just one thing missing..."WS ROCKS!" other than that, it was absolutely perfect. Thanks Tricia and Kimster for representing all of us here at Websleuths. Thank you Mods for all you do and thank you to everyone who puts their heart and soul into these cases hoping to bring justice for the victims and peace and closure for their families. And thanks for letting me be part of WS! :blowkiss:

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

My sincere thanks to Tricia and Kimster and all the mods that make Websleuths possible. The article was wonderful. Very proud to be part of this. Thank You.

By the way I have collected cans before when I was beyond broke and a teenage. If I have to do it again I will. There is no shame in hard work despite what John Ramsey may think.
<Quote>

Thanks Tricia and Kimster! It's truly a privilege to be a member of WS and I am really thankful for it.

BTW, I collected my share of those cans! They paid for me and my sister to see many movies at the theater when we were growing up. I just realized that I am around the same age as you two, ya think teenagers collecting cans is a thing of the past? I hope not 'cause you've really got to wanna go to do this to earn enough money!

LOL! My starving college student collects cans AND plastic bottles! :dance:

BTW, I want to be sure Grandmaj gets mentioned here! She is my right arm and I would be a start-raving lunatic alien with a ray gun if she weren't here to help me all the time! :D

And we really do love our "family" on Websleuths! That's one thing I told Kimberly that didn't make it in the article. Maybe it was too mushy. HAHA!

:grouphug:

Mark my words, you are going to see Websleuths continue to grow and branch out in ways we all never dreamed.

Websleuths is an untapped resource and people all over the world are finally discovering us.

One of the many reasons I am a member here! I believe there are great things ahead for this forum as well!!

Thank you, Tricia, for the venue. Thank you also to all the moderators who keep things real here. And a big, big thank you to all the posters who don't all think like me and always give me something new to ponder!

One of the many reasons I am a member here! I believe there are great things ahead for this forum as well!!

Thank you, Tricia, for the venue. Thank you also to all the moderators who keep things real here. And a big, big thank you to all the posters who don't all think like me and always give me something new to ponder!

TRUE! You just reminded me of something else I said to Kimberly. I was telling her how I was posting about how I thought TH's rapid blinking in the first presser made me wonder about her demeanor and someone here said it could be caused by medication or anti-depressants or something. I was so sure it was a hinky thing and changed my mind when someone else weighed in. I love all the brainstorming!!!

Very nice article. Well done ladies. You really are making a difference. Who knows what further evolution of crime-blogging the future will bring.

I have never thought of the hinkymeter.com as a "safe" place to get info or exchange ideas...but that's just me.

Some of the sites out there are so full of vitrol and abuse, it is hard to believe. Makes one a little scared to know there are so many angry, vengeful people around. Much more appreciative of WS each time I happen upon one of them.

I have never thought of the hinkymeter.com as a "safe" place to get info or exchange ideas...but that's just me.

Some of the sites out there are so full of vitrol and abuse, it is hard to believe. Makes one a little scared to know there are so many angry, vengeful people around. Much more appreciative of WS each time I happen upon one of them.

Thanks Cluciano.

It seems so easy to realize now that people want a safe place to post but back when we started to tighten the rules we were getting all kinds of complaints. I lost count of the posters who e-mailed me and claimed "All the good posters are leaving WS" or "WS is going down in FLAMES because of the moderation." My favorite is, " You are losing your credibilty." I was worried I'll be honest but the exact opposite happened. All the good posters came and stayed at Websleuths. :) We have grown in leaps and bounds far from "going down in flames" and we are now the go to website for true crime.

Now, if we could find Kyron and bring him home safely then this would be a perfect day.

Good article ladies. I wouldn't be a mod anywhere but at WS. What I love about WS is that we try to sleuth facts. But we are also victim friendly. We try to move with the changing news which IMO is the best way. Rumors can really muddy up our thinking.

And our victim friendly stance is also TOPS. Add that to our protocol about the way we talk to each other and I think WS rocks.

Thanks for being with us at WS. Each of you has something to offer. That is what makes us proud of our site. You as posters are important. You are WS. So be proud of your responsible posting.

Thank you first lady, Tricia, for giving us the opportunity to establish this all volunteer researching group to aid law enforcement. As we move forward through the coming years the services of our group will prove and has proven in the past to be exactly what our victims, survivors and law enforcement need to help bring swift justice and closure. The dedication exhibited on our Websleuths is beyond belief.
I am humbled to be in the company of such compassionate, caring people who strive continuously to find the answers, solve the mystery and extend a loving hand.
God bless you all my dear friends.
BB

Nice article, though it could have been a little less brief. (I know, I know - I mark too many papers for a living!)

I just wanted to toss in my two cents on WS - though we all post behind our hats, so I can't actually show you all the thing, I wanted everyone to know I thanked my WS peeps in my dissertation acknowledgements for keeping a slogging mom/student sane (or as close to it as possible for me) all those long nights working on my degree when it gave me such comfort to have people to connect with.

This is my virtual home, and I thank you all. :blowkiss:

Armchair detectives: True-crime websites are nonstop outlets for facts and opinions on Kyron Horman case

{snip}
But denizens of the crime sites have their opinions -- and they're doing the virtual legwork to try to prove they're right. Meet "Kimster," a 21-year-old Eugene-area empty nester with a penchant for Ann Rule's psychological true-crime thrillers. Or "ValHall," a 46-year-old aerospace engineer and grandmother from Oklahoma who got snared by the criminal justice bug during the O.J. Simpson trial. Or Tricia Griffith, a 51-year-old former rock radio DJ turned unsolved-mystery website owner, eking out a living for herself, her 13-year-old son and a menagerie of birds and dogs in Utah.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/armchair_detectives_true-crime.html

Oops! I'm so embarrassed. I didn't see the article was already posted. :blush:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back