2010.08.30 - Status Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are being very kind today woe.be.gone.:innocent:

Uh oh I'll have to change that.

Really though all that dot stuff isn't about the dots, it's about determining if we have or have not been privy to key parts of peoples' interviews. That's been my point all along. Someone asked me for further dot info and I accommodated - what's unkind about that?

(1) In a criminal case the obligations of the prosecution and the defense are not "symmetrical." The prosecution must turn over all evidence in its possession that is potentially exculpatory to the defense, called "Brady materials" after the case of U.S. v. Brady. However, the defense is NOT obligated to turn over all potentially incriminating materials in its possession to the prosecution.

(2) Gallows humor.

Thank you very much.
Is the defense required to turn over copies of the depositions they take?
I'm unclear about that and have read where other people are saying that the defense is not turning anything over. What must they turn over?

Uh oh I'll have to change that.

Really though all that dot stuff isn't about the dots, it's about determining if we have or have not been privy to key parts of peoples' interviews. That's been my point all along. Someone asked me for further dot info and I accommodated - what's unkind about that?

Sorry Woe - I think you misunderstood me! You were being kind - that was just it - you were. About your comments about Baez's humor in the court. Just two different points of view is all. I think it shows he has no understanding how people view him and his comments, and you think it's gallows humor. You were thinking kind things and I was not.

Sorry Woe - I think you misunderstood me! You were being kind - that was just it - you were. About your comments about Baez's humor in the court. Just two different points of view is all. I think it shows he has no understanding how people view him and his comments, and you think it's gallows humor. You were thinking kind things and I was not.

Well I'm not sure because actually I was talking about the exchanges between JP and CM - lol!

Honestly, I don't get why JB is grinning/smiling all the time - it bugs me.

Well I'm not sure because actually I was talking about the exchanges between JP and CM - lol!

Ignorance is bliss.

Or so I've heard.

bbm

Me too; I dont know why; it just bugs.

Speaking of things that bug....

If I have to see that infernal clip of JB's arm around her coming out of that building with both of them huddled head to head clutching each other under that freakin umbrella..... well.... bye bye breakfast.

jus' sayin'

moo... and barf

If I have to see that infernal clip of JB's arm around her coming out of that building with both of them huddled head to head clutching each other under that freakin umbrella..... well.... bye bye breakfast.

jus' sayin'

moo... and barf

Yes, Baez and "his girl" but that's before he knew for sure she was guilty and how she really disposed of her daughter.
It's a whole different picture in court - he barely speaks to her, unless he wants something from her or wants her to do something.

Thank you very much.
Is the defense required to turn over copies of the depositions they take?
I'm unclear about that and have read where other people are saying that the defense is not turning anything over. What must they turn over?

Let's be clear on what a "deposition" is. A deposition is the examination of a witness, under oath, compelled by the issuance of a subpoena (or, in a civil case, of a party, under oath, compelled by a notice of deposition--in a criminal case, the state is an entity and the defendant can't be compelled to testify at all, hence the absence in criminal procedure of this form), at which all parties are entitled to attend and ask whatever questions they will of the witness. The deposition can be transcribed by a court reporter, videotaped, audiotaped or I suppose technically none of the above, but then there would be no record of the deposition.

All parties to a case have the right to attend the deposition of any witness called in the case and to make inquiry of the witness. Any party to the case has the right to purchase their own copy of the transcript of the proceedings made by the court reporter. The court reporter is considered a neutral entity--a de facto arm of the court--and will provide a transcript for any party who lays their money down. (It is common, but considered somewhat slimy by court reporters, for the lawyers for two parties to order a single transcript and then make a xerox copy for the other party. Each person is *supposed* to order their own transcript. The court-reporting profession has been hit hard indeed by the rise of cheap, high-quality video equipment, although for some purposes there is really no substitute for a written transcript).

Now, an INTERVIEW of a witness, even if there is a court reporter present to make a transcript and even if the witness takes an oath that he or she is telling the truth, is not a DEPOSITION. The other side has no absolute right to participate in interviews. The tricky part about interviews is that your witness may or may not talk to you if you just call them up and try to interview them absent the legal force of a subpoena. Witnesses also have been known to clam up and refuse to supply information in front of a tape recorder or court reporter that they previously provided off-the-cuff. Interviews of witnesses can indeed, in my mind, be considered work product, particularly if the lines of questioning reveal the lawyer's theory of the case, thoughts and impressions. The defense may be resisting turning over transcripts of interviews.

I have a dim recollection of some quirk of Florida criminal law (not my part of the country) regarding the effect of listing someone as a witness--I think it subjects the witness to deposition by the other side, but don't rely on my recollection. So that's what some of the battles about delaying witness lists are about.

ID channel is very good though - 48 Hours on ID, Unusual Suspects, Dateline on ID, Killer on Campus, The New Detectives, Bone Detective, Most Evil, Personal Justice and Disappeared are the shows airing until 2PM tomorrow. I like ID channel but can see why you'd be disappointed about loosing InSession.

Thanks but actually Woe our lineup is different up here as we require a certain percentage of Canadian content each day. I may forget where I was born and how to spell colour if they didn't shelter me with Canadiana. :waitasec:
We get really exciting stuff to replace Court Tv like police cadets in Regina getting sworn in. Oh yes!
The courts put publication bans on everything up here. We can only hope the courts are acting responsibly and then bam we're smacked with a Karla H sweetheart deal. I'm not paying a Canadian media conglomerate (sp?) to publication ban me from your legal system too.
Sorry for OT rant but I learned here from DC that access to knowledge is a right lol!! Plus I pay the cable bills.

jus' sayin'

moo... and barf

And he claims, ICA stated, don't cover my face, I want to walk out of here with my head held high, I did nothing....(paraphrased)JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Originally Posted by kant

jus' sayin'

moo... and barf

And he claims, ICA stated, don't cover my face, I want to walk out of here with my head held high, I did nothing....(paraphrased)JMHO
Justice for Caylee

And Leonard P (consider the source) said that is NOT what she said ... that she said "get me the F outta here".

Either way ... it IS disgusting to see the "closeness" in body language!

I just want to say -

I have seen a lot of judges in my job, but Judge Perry may be my favorite ever. He is FAIR to BOTH sides. He tells them what he expects, gives them latitude to take care of things, BUT he can see a sorry excuse immediately and cuts them off at the knees. I think should either side attempt to 'push the envelope' any further to the edge, it would be very, very foolish.

This case will go to trial in May. I'd bet my last dollar on it. The defense better get their act together and fast.

30 depos in one day? :floorlaugh: Well, CM better figure out a way. He postured loud enough, thats for sure.

I agree, Beach. Judge Perry is the one to watch and learn from.
View attachment 30 Status Hearing-1.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member