2011.02.21: HPD Press Conference, 3pm Feb 21, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
The charge really bothers me: It also states that Elisa hid the victim from family members and desecrated Zahra's body to hinder detection, investigation and prosecution of the offense.

What family members did Elisa hide Zahra from - Adam?

That was the impression I got, but I'm not buying it. I'm happy she's been indicted but I don't believe for one minute he isn't culpable of something.

This charge also is strange: Based on their findings, Gaither said there is no credible evidence to suggest anyone other than Elisa Baker was involved in death of Zahra.

Exactly what credible evidence did they find to suggest it was Elisa soley?

I'm thinking the only credible evidence they have on EB is what EB herself told them. I'm also thinking the reason they don't have credible evidence about AB's involvement is because he lawyered up from the jump and followed his attorney's advice.

Pains me to say this, but I don't believe there would have been any justice for Zahra at all if EB hadn't handed it to LE on a silver platter.

The charge really bothers me: It also states that Elisa hid the victim from family members and desecrated Zahra's body to hinder detection, investigation and prosecution of the offense.

I also am at a loss on this. He lived in the house. Why didn't he go into Zahra's room and see that she was alright? Zahra had a history of cancer. How could he not want to make sure she was alright? :waitasec: MOO

IMO, for now, these are very weak charges. I only say this based on the individuals who claim they saw this and that and did nothing, IF, they actually saw anything at all and some lying and on drugs.

I also am at a loss on this. He lived in the house. Why didn't he go into Zahra's room and see that she was alright? Zahra had a history of cancer. How could he not want to make sure she was alright? :waitasec: MOO

For 2 WEEKS!! Makes no sense whatsoever, actually it's impossible to miss a child for that long, absolutely impossible.

For 2 WEEKS!! Makes no sense whatsoever, actually it's impossible to miss a child for that long, absolutely impossible.

According to Adam Baker, he "100% genuinely" saw Zahra out of bed on Friday. Perhaps he is given to hallucinations. Or perhaps he is simply too stupid to comprehend the difference between 1 day and 2 weeks. Some people just aren't able to grasp the difficult concept of time.:innocent:

I think we have to remember that there is still and investigation as well as a trial upcomming unless she pleads guilty thus they would have to be very careful with what they say...as crazy as all that might sound

If EB has anything on AB, she better open her mouth and start singing. She's a goner anyway...might as well take his slimy, smirking *advertiser censored* down with her.

Perhaps that is why LE made such a point of saying there was no evidence that anyone else was involved?

That would have to really make EB mad if there WAS someone else involved...

Her step siblings
Her biological Mom
Her grandmother

Anyone who might call and talk to her... or want to see her.

IMO, I think the grand jury had to do something rather then nothing in this case based on how the charges are worded. They did this because the public wants something done and done now.

If I am not mistaken, they would have had to let her out on the ransom note charge anyhow - she has been in jail for almost the max time that charge would have received if found guilty and sentenced. Perhaps a motivation for charging her so lightly. The aggravators seem strong enough for a capital case. Something just isn't right.

Originally I believed she was killed within a few days (after when he claimed he last saw her) of the 911 call. Stretching the timeline back to 9/24 makes it almost impossible for me to believe he didn't at least suspect something was wrong. Even if he had been told Zahra was sick or some excuse why she didn't come out of her room, why didn't he go in there anyway? :waitasec: MOO

This bit from the article has me confused:
Faherty first reported Monday afternoon that the Hickory medical examiner along with the prosecutor’s office had concluded what the cause of death was in the case.

The Hickory medical examiner said there is now a cause of death listed on the autopsy.
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/26939338/detail.html
Does that mean they are concluding COD to be "undetermined homicidal violence" and that is the end of it?

If during the trial they gain more information will they alter the COD? I would assume the autopsy will remain as is, as it is dated, and that trial information is held separately to this when new info is found – or do they re-release the autopsy with new information if considered consistent with their original findings?

I am unfamiliar with NC's process but I do know in my area, an autopsy finding can be corrected in future if more information or evidence comes to light. In that instance, at least where I am, the autopsy findings would be amended.

Originally I believed she was killed within a few days (after when he claimed he last saw her) of the 911 call. Stretching the timeline back to 9/24 makes it almost impossible for me to believe he didn't at least suspect something was wrong. Even if he had been told Zahra was sick or some excuse why she didn't come out of her room, why didn't he go in there anyway? :waitasec: MOO

I believe he stated that he saw her up and about on the Thursday? If the 24th is correct for date of death, then he lied IMO and he is part of the coverup at least.

MOO

I've been reading material to try to understand the difference between 1st & 2nd degree murder. From what I can gather the 1st is usually associated with multiple murders or torture. I gather 2nd is considered "Premeditated or with intent to kill for personal gain". And the penalties are effectively the same as 2nd can be 25yrs which is the standard for 1st. Is this the same in NC? Is the death sentence in NC only applicable to 1st degree? Does this mean that they have lowered EB's charge from 1st to 2nd because of her confessions? I thought that was dependent upon her not having anything to do with the murder (as opposed to the disposal which she admitted to). Or can they choose to alter the charge in court when information on the case is uncovered in detail? Many questions. I'd appreciate answers if anyone can assist.

I flat out don't understand the 2nd degree murder charges? Did her Attorney early on plead lesser charges for her cooperation in locating the body? Seems to me that did happen, I just can't remember. Anyone?

I assume the 2nd degree as oposed to 1st degree is because they cant prove it was premeditated. JMO

It also may get down to intent. If she died without intent, even though she was being tortured that may fall under 2nd degree. They may not be able to prove intent and have it stick so they went with 2nd degree. I still think she may have been promised a lessor charge for her cooperation.

I recall a deal was offered to take either 1st degree or DP off the table in exchange for her leading LE to remains.

You will prob find that a new one will be re-issued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member