2011.04.12 Adam Baker Arrested

Hickory, I have been searching and cannot find anything on why no bond shows. All I can think is if he is still on the list, he is still there.Maybe it was revoked? If it was paid ICE should have picked him up by now.

Anyone know if the GJ meets this week? I believe LE has more possible inditements to present to them regarding Adam.

Hickory, I have been searching and cannot find anything on why no bond shows. All I can think is if he is still on the list, he is still there.Maybe it was revoked? If it was paid ICE should have picked him up by now.

Anyone know if the GJ meets this week? I believe LE has more possible inditements to present to them regarding Adam.

I thought they met the first or second Monday of the month. But I think the DA can call for a special meeting of GJ. I might be wrong.

Thanks for responding to my questions lauriej. It's often difficult for me to understand what the legal principles are in the US.

The Aust government certainly would extradite AB to the US for Zahra's case if he refused to return (if he was allowed to return to Aust before the trial). One valid reason I think they'd prefer to find ways to keep him on-site, and behind bars until trial is that the cost would be considerably less than the extradition avenue. Makes sense.

I think you're right about LE having an ace up their sleeve to keep him in the US. Your theory makes perfect sense. He had, I gather, sorted out his debts for the bad cheques, and had voiced his desire to get his passport back to return to Aust ... so this was, as you suggest, perfect timing by LE. Curious that they can keep charges up their sleeve ... but as I say I don't understand how the system works.

Noetic's comment about ongoing investigation – don't get me wrong, I wasn't disputing the accuracy of that, just trying to understand it. I thought that once the material was handed over to the defense that there were issues with introducing new evidence. I do recall that some time back I (and others) asked if the investigation was still ongoing by FBI & SBI, but I never saw replies confirming this - I presumed that once the case went to court & evidence was turned over to the defense that this was final. Apparently not. Q - do they have up till trial to build on existing evidence or is it only to introduce new info? If the defense is causing disruption with the "I cant read the CDs" claim, then how are they going to react if new material is introduced? Do they extend the case again over and again? I guess they'd have to if justice is to be maintained.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there are more charges to be laid against AB. If they can hold on to them until needed, they'll just keep them in store. I also think Noetic's hunch about future charges is probably pretty accurate (I've no clue about the specifics though). I've also always felt there were more people involved (and have stated that many times) and that much more sinister issues laid below the surface. I've never been able to work out who or what though, as that info just isn't within my grasp. I was shocked when the LE declared that it was EB alone who acted. Very odd IMO.

I'm still super curious about that claim about a new warrant being released. I'll try and hunt down the comment and repost it here so people can investigate further.

Re BBM - New evidence (called discovery) can be brought to the courts attention all through the pretrial period. Once the trial starts the discovery ends - new discovery at that point would require a new trial with new charges. Of course if it suddenly became clear through evidence (physical or witnessed) that a defendant was wrongly accused the state could decide to drop charges. IMO this doesn't happen often but makes for a great plot twist in the movies.

One thing that is highly frowned upon here is called trial by ambush - where one side or the other tries to throw in "new discovery" after the trial starts. A good judge will not allow this to happen.

One case that I have been following for two years is slated to go to trial this week - there have been on-going issues with the defense's failure to share depositions and witness statements. Making the defense atty look like a jerk. On April 1 the SA suddenly presented an eye witness who was present at some point during the evening in question - talk about a bombshell - since this witness was employed as a night guard at the location, I have to believe the State has known of this witness since day 1.

Just spoke with a reporter at the Charlotte Observer and he was unaware of AB being out of the Catawba Couty jail...but would check into it. Maybe we will hear something soon.

Good stuff Hickory, thanks for being proactive!

I'm sure we will know soon where he is. If ICE took him last night,he may be at a bond hearing, or in the mmidst of transfer, therefore not showing up on the ICE database as of yet. Then again maybe he is on a plane to OZ. Nothing would surprise me anymore!

According to VineLink (https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/initMap.do), he's in the Newton Detention Facility:

Offender Details
Offender Name: ADAM TROY BAKER
Offender ID:
Date of Birth:
08/06/1977
Race:
White

Custody Status:
In Custody
Location of Offender:
Newton Detention Facility

However there's also a notation I've never seen before that reads:

Registration for notification is not currently available for this offender.

ETA: If ICE has him (https://locator.ice.gov/odls/homePage.do), there's no record of it yet.

Detainee Not Found

Your search has returned zero (0) matching records. Please re-check the search terms you entered to ensure they are correct and try your query again. Please remember the system does not provide information for detainees under the age of 18.

If you conducted a name-based search, please remember that only exact matches to the name you entered will be returned. You may want to try searching any name or spelling variants used by the detainee.

If you conducted an A-Number search you may want to try conducting a name-based search instead.

Wonder why it says Newton> Just posted to the media thread,

"Baker made bond on Saturday, but there was a "hold" placed on him and he was not released until just before 7:30 am Tuesday when he was handed over to the custody of federal immigration officials.

He has not been charged in the death of Zahra, his daughter, who was killed and later dismembered.

Adam Baker is now not listed on the jail's website and is shown as an inmate at the La Tuna Federal Correction Facility in Anthony, Texas. "

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14476282

re my link above, think that is a different Adam Baker. Color me confused....

Baker made bond on Saturday, but there was a "hold" placed on him and he was not released until just before 7:30 am Tuesday when he was handed over to the custody of federal immigration officials.

Adam Baker is now not listed on the jail's website and is shown as an inmate at the La Tuna Federal Correction Facility in Anthony, Texas. However, he is not actually being held in Texas. According to his attorney, Baker is in Caldwell County wearing an ankle bracelet, which is monitored by federal officials.

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14476282

He's out according to his attorney.... :(

Please don't Google ankle bracelets cut off in North Carolina - it will just discourage you in the AB case.

We've had a rash of these happening. And with AB and his Ma who knows what they might do? :banghead:

Letting him out frustrates me but if they can only hold him 48 hours guess the ankle bracelet is better than nothing. Grrrrrrr!

I totally agree with Grrrrrrr! Maybe it is time for more charges to come down the pike.

Adam Baker out of jail, wearing ankle monitor
Immigration officials are keeping tabs on him.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2011/apr/19/adam-baker-out-jail-wearing-ankle-monitor-ar-962161/

“Adam wants to stay here for the trial for Zahra,” Killian said. “Adam wants to stay and see that through. But he’s concerned he’ll be deported as soon as his cases are resolved.”

Seems to me that Mr. Killian is talking out of both sides of his face. Eight days ago, Adam wanted to return to Aus as soon as possible...today he wants to stay for the trial. Methinks Mr. Killian and AB heard the public outrage at him wanting to leave before seeing justice served. :cow:

Please don't Google ankle bracelets cut off in North Carolina - it will just discourage you in the AB case.

We've had a rash of these happening. And with AB and his Ma who knows what they might do? :banghead:

Letting him out frustrates me but if they can only hold him 48 hours guess the ankle bracelet is better than nothing. Grrrrrrr!

Wouldn't he be taken into Federal custody if he were to dismantle the ankle monitoring device? I doubt the Feds would give him a second chance. MOO

I believe you are right panthera, the feds would not go easy on such a thing, however, they would need to find him first.

The difference with AB and your average US citizen who cuts off a bracelet is that US criminal would have a network of possible friends and accomplices, places to run to, places to hide, etc which might make re-apprehension difficult. AB however, not a citizen, not in this country but a few years, with limited friendships and none probably long enough to warrant anyone harboring him, only ally we are aware of is his mother, also a guest in this country.

I would say the odds of him cutting off the bracelet are slim to none. Where would he and mom go exactly? Who would assist or harbor them?

The only good thing I can come up with to think about him being released is the fact that I'm *sure* EB is seething that he's been in and out of jail twice in the time she's been incarcerated.

Wouldn't he be taken into Federal custody if he were to dismantle the ankle monitoring device? I doubt the Feds would give him a second chance. MOO

Where's he going to go - the Feds have his passport! At least this way 'we're' not paying his room and board and IIRC he is paying the government for the pleasure of wearing the device in the comfort of his own home.

Adam Baker out of jail, wearing ankle monitor
Immigration officials are keeping tabs on him.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2011/apr/19/adam-baker-out-jail-wearing-ankle-monitor-ar-962161/

Seems to me that Mr. Killian is talking out of both sides of his face. Eight days ago, Adam wanted to return to Aus as soon as possible...today he wants to stay for the trial. Methinks Mr. Killian and AB heard the public outrage at him wanting to leave before seeing justice served. :cow:

Damage control - as if that was going to help... :cow:

I believe you are right panthera, the feds would not go easy on such a thing, however, they would need to find him first.

The difference with AB and your average US citizen who cuts off a bracelet is that US criminal would have a network of possible friends and accomplices, places to run to, places to hide, etc which might make re-apprehension difficult. AB however, not a citizen, not in this country but a few years, with limited friendships and none probably long enough to warrant anyone harboring him, only ally we are aware of is his mother, also a guest in this country.

I would say the odds of him cutting off the bracelet are slim to none. Where would he and mom go exactly? Who would assist or harbor them?

Yes, exactly. I also have a feeling he doesn't like being in jail since he's bonded out twice now, and am sure his attorney has advised him what would happen should he tamper with the device. MOO

Zahra Baker's father is out of jail, but what now?

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14485061

Snippits:

"He's in limbo right now and we don't know what is going to happen," attorney Mark Killian told WBTV.

"We were blindsided by the charges," Killian said

The problem, according to his attorney, is how Baker will support himself.
"With his immigration status, he can't work and his family doesn't have many resources left to support him." Killian added that Baker has to "rely on the charity of others."

Killian said it could be a year of longer before Baker's charges are all resolved and he still has not heard if Baker will be needed in the trial of Elisa Baker.That case may not get to a courtroom for years, said Killian. The attorney said he will explore all options.

"He needs to work and wants to work," Killian said.

Maybe he should have stayed in jail? I know its not all that nice there, but he would have all his needs provided for, and his family would have some relief from the financial stress, maybe gather some resources from those willing to donate to his cause. He can plead guilty ASAP on his charges and get them dealt with, go home when thats done and come back if he is needed in the trial of Elisa Baker.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back