2011.05.16 Sidebar Thread (Juror Selection Day Seven)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking that perhaps Caylee's great grandma, Shirley, might make a victim's impact statement.

I hope that happens, but if she speaks for Caylee, she would basically be speaking against KC in the penalty phase. CA would have a fit, so I don't think she would go against CA in public. The fact that AF spends part of her time going over the victim impact statement with the pjs does really make me wonder what's up though.

I hope that happens, but if she speaks for Caylee, she would basically be speaking against KC in the penalty phase. CA would have a fit, so I don't think she would go against CA in public. The fact that AF spends part of her time going over the victim impact statement with the pjs does really make me wonder what's up though.

The clearest explanation I found about victim impact statements indicates that they are done before the sentence is imposed. To me this means it would come after the penalty phase (if required), and before the judge imposes sentence. In Florida they have a state constitutional amendment granting the right to a victim impact statement...as long as it does not interfere with the rights of the defendant.

http://www.sao10.com/victim-impact_statement.asp

Holy Baloney! HHBP is going to look ominous there won't he? Thanks for the link Joanner!

wow - that is very cool. Though I heard the DT was going to be seated against one of the walls = opposite the jurors, so no one could look at their precious computers and notes. So I think the layout will change just a tad. Man, what a view the jurors will have a ICA!

MOO

Mel

I am wondering that, if Cindy were to make a victim's impact statement and then instead start supporting Casey, would anyone be able to stop her legally? Objection? Can HHJP stop her?

That would be appalling,IMO .

Perhaps she will concede that ICA is responsible,but they could not bear to have a second death .Then she could talk about CAYLEE MARIE!
It might just save ICA's life.

Most of you probably know this but WFTV is going to feature 2 live feeds during the trial: One of the general proceedings and one focused on ICA.

I was thinking that perhaps Caylee's great grandma, Shirley, might make a victim's impact statement.
Shirley is sweet but not stupid and Shirley raised her daughter CA. She's old and a bit disconnected which is part of what makes her so endearing but I'm not sure that she did all that much to convince me that she would do justice to Caylee. Maybe but, I'm not convinced. "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" is something we've heard a lot on this case and I'm not convinced that there aren't bizarre cross-generational dysfunctions in this family all-around.

moo

I believe that the STATE should be Caylee's voice as they are the only representative of her that is impartial and has only her interests at heart as mandated by law. Anyone else involved in this fiasco is dubious at best.

moo

The clearest explanation I found about victim impact statements indicates that they are done before the sentence is imposed. To me this means it would come after the penalty phase (if required), and before the judge imposes sentence. In Florida they have a state constitutional amendment granting the right to a victim impact statement...as long as it does not interfere with the rights of the defendant.

http://www.sao10.com/victim-impact_statement.asp

Sorry, I wasn't clearer. I think the impact statement comes after the attorneys have presented their case in the penalty phase but before the jury deliberates the sentence. This is why AF is instructing the jurors on it. The judge has the final say but usually goes along with the jury's decision.

Most of you probably know this but WFTV is going to feature 2 live feeds during the trial: One of the general proceedings and one focused on ICA.

TY for that info!
OH and posters please pOsrt quotes of what is said.. soo many times there is a bunch of posts in a REACTION BUT SINCE SOME OF US CAN'T SEE SEE WE DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON.. THANK YOU ALL SO VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!

See you guys on the flip flop!! We are thanking you when watching your words an pics from work! TYSM!!

It is still my hope that somehow Caylee's father will find the strength to speak for her. Whoever he is. I would listen.

moo

I missed a lot of the proceedings the past few days due to dr.'s appt.'s...long ones. Ughhh! I missed the ICA laugh a thon outbursts can someone point me to video or dish on it please???
...and if anyone knows where to find the female juror who got Casey so angry...I'd love to see that.

...and if anyone knows where to find the female juror who got Casey so angry...I'd love to see that.

I would like to see that. Was that today? I only saw the very end when they were getting ready to leave court. Do you know why she got angry? I am fascinated watching ICA gesture, expression, movements and changing moods, her interaction and lack of.

Sorry, I wasn't clearer. I think the impact statement comes after the attorneys have presented their case in the penalty phase but before the jury deliberates the sentence. This is why AF is instructing the jurors on it. The judge has the final say but usually goes along with the jury's decision.

It kind of surprises me that victim impact would come before the jury decides the sentence. I thought they were more a vehicle for victims to confront the perp than a circumstance for a jury or judge to use in deciding the sentence. I can't see how victim impact can be used as an aggravation in determining sentence. I'm just thinking of non-DP cases where a sentencing report is prepared and letters may be submitted to the judge-but it never occurred to me that victim impact was an attempt to up a sentence. I hope I'm making sense...lol

I know that the judge can, but usually doesn't, go against the jury's sentence recommendation.

I believe that the STATE should be Caylee's voice as they are the only representative of her that is impartial and has only her interests at heart as mandated by law. Anyone else involved in this fiasco is dubious at best.

moo

I also think Jesse Grund! he will certainly be a huge voice for Caylee, of that I am certain. He adored Caylee still after they'd broken up.

Does anyone know when opening arguments begins. Sorry if it's already posted, I just don't wanna miss it :D

Wondering if anyone noticed one of ICA's little aberrant 'behaviours', today. First time I saw it was the other day when the female pot. juror that had lost a son said that she thought ICA was guilty and it happened again today. Can't remember what juror, but I think said juror stated they thought ICA was guilty. In any case, the behaviour is this: Casey writes furiously on her notepad, while glaring angrily at the pot. juror. She doesn't look down at what she is writing, at all.

One other thing... at the end of the proceedings today, while the lawyers were sidebar, it looked like ICA was super-upset.. almost like she was about to cry. Wonder if the fact that the trial is so close to starting is getting to her. I hope it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member