2011.06.10 TRIAL Day Fifteen (Morning Session)

Status
Not open for further replies.
KBelichWFTV Kathi Belich, WFTV

Casey hiding her face from jury

here we go...foundation for cause and manner of death...go get 'em Dr. G you :rocker:

JA is going into manner and cause of death. This is good to explain it to the jury!

the cameras followed her in her practice while she performed autopsies and explained how the person died-awesome show!

A show Casey would most likely watch regularly in another universe. She liked CSI, and House. Dr. G is the real deal :twocents:

I think it's important to mention that the cases on her show are just ANONYMOUS, interesting autopsies. NOT famous ones or sensational.

Yes, and it is a documentary, very educational, tasteful and nothing like InSessions or 48hours type of crime shows.

public service announcement !

you can listen to the trial in the afternoon on satellite radio
on xm116 , HLN.

Dr. Jan Garavalia...

JA - chief ME for Dist 9 - prior to that deputy chief, prior 10 yrs ME in Tx, and trained

she is MD - St. Lewis, MO - grad in 82 , special pathology ...anatomic pathology look under microscopes, clinical pathology - runs the labs...sub=specialized in forensic pathology , sudden and unexpected death and board cert in forensic biology....

death of Caylee first learn remains 12/11/08 - late morning or early afternoon - chief Hansen alerted her...she was late for airport - weren't sure who that was @ that point....scene recovery often take long time.....engagement prior scheduled...late for airport....call Dr. Schultz - anthropoligist and and Utz could handle it...

takes awhile to recover skeletal remains usually....absence for night was not an issue....returned and reviewed photos from scene and in facility while gone...arrived back and took case back from Utz....look @ photos taken with the body...case discussed went out to scene - suggestions for what needed done - got other consultants.....

show witness SA exhibit CX - one of the things examined hair mat surrounding the skull...eventually came back from FBI...photo looks like bone attached....photo reviewed Cy photo- publish

CX publish - hair mat of the decedent case 81567 - roots grown thru hair.
CY #251 - looking @ hair mat with roots grown thru hair mat...some holes in hair mat from insect activity..

DA - photo - teased out some of the hair to take sample from the hairmat...possible toxicologic use... publish ....scale have 6" scale...length of hair is more than 6"....

photo DC - scale of one of the roots on the hairmat - to compare size of the scale...

items found w/remains DV a blanket....the WTP blanket....taken @ her direction or staff - it was photo'd several times - publish...condition it came into office - not cleaned ....unfolded only....detect some figures - closer photo to show figures more closely....

photo DW - closer photo of figures on blanket - publish....zoom in on figure....piglet riding on pooh's back....

photo DX - photo of other side of blanket - publish...plant material in blanket

photo DZ - amount of plant and root material growing in the blanket - publish - close up edge of WTP blanket w/piglet - shows plant and root material ontop and through blanket

ED photo - other area root growth in blanket - publish -

EB - root material (kc puts on a sweater/shroud over shoulders)

EE - photo more root material into same blanket-publish

2 black plastic bags - root grow thru the holes in the bags - EI photo -publish....

canvas laundry bag found with the remains...roots growing in that ? canvas on outside and shiny inside ...roots only growing on top on the canvas side....#EN - roots grow into canvas bag....publish

fair to say roots growing in and around everything ...no roots in the shorts....shirt completely disintegrated...certainly 2 plastic bags, canvas bag, blanket.....the letters and the stitching around the .....

identify who this child was/ best thru dna - often use teeth or dental comparison...difficult with this child - so young....hopeful to get nuclear dna and through we would get at least mitochondrial dna....sent off sample bone for dna

EO - photo of bone from return from eval...publish ...portion missing from bone - procedure familiar - must remove piece of bone to test from right tibia.....dna identification of remains from lab.....caylee marie anthony...

your job to determine 2 things - cause of death and manner of death....fundamental to her job why ME's exist.....manner of death is based on scientific principles....gather all info and circumstances of the case....all medical history...come up with an opinion (approach)

Sidebar called as Dr G starts to mention opinion on cause and manner of death.

I think it's important to mention that the cases on her show are just ANONYMOUS, interesting autopsies. NOT famous ones or sensational.

Didn't Dr. Baden from the OJ trial have the same type of show way back when?

Interesting body language. As they are talking about the blanket Casey grabs a sweater or shawl and wraps herself up cocooning.

Maybe she's trying to project that she's just like Caylee a victim??? Who knows? Her theatrics are disgusting either way.

Witness is Dr. G.

JA: how are you employed?

chief ME for OCSO

JA: how long?

JA: prior where work?

deputy cheif and then appoited as ME in Texas, then Atlanta area, and Jacksonville FL and trained in Miami.

JA: what led you to work?

I am a MD from St. Louis, grad in 1982. Internal medicine. Pathology: the dr at the hospital that looks under the mico scope, board certified. Clinical pathology. Forensic pathology a field that specializes why a person dies suddenly...training in Miami. And board certified in forensic pathology.

JA: did you become involved in the investigation of Caylee Marie

yes, under my jurisdiction

JA: when find out?

the 11th, I don't remember the time

JA: alerted by LE?

says name

JA: ?

I was late for the air port and as I was walking out Mr. Hanson told me he found the remains. we weren't for sure who it was, often times the recovery takes a long time. I had an engagment I could not get out of, I would be the next day. We called our consultant Dr. Shults and that Dr. Utz could handle it. It is a long process, I didn't think my absense for the night was important.

JA: when you returned did you go back and review the photos that were taken at the sceen and those taken at your facility?

absolutely

JA: once you took the case did you continue to investigate?

yes, case was discussed went to sceen and made suggestions and made sure we go in other consultants also.

JA: just a moment. I will start by showing "CX" is one of the things you examined was the hair mat that was surrounding the skull.

it was sent to the FBI and I asked for it back and I examined it.

JA: ?

it looks like there is bone so...this is one I reviewed.

JA: go to photo "cy", again is this a photo you took or reviewed?

yes

HHJP: received into evidence

JA: lets start with "CX"

HHJP: publish

JA: what are we looking at?

the hair mat

JA: what else?

we see a lot of the roots that have grown through the hair

JA: what are we looking at here?

the hair mat, also the roots that have grown completely through the hair mat and holes in the hair mat prob because of insect activity.

JA: recognize?

yes, we teased out some of the hair to take as a sample from the hair mat for possible toxicolocial use.

HHJP: received in evidence

JA: the scale you have here is a six inch scale?

yes

JA: more than six inches?

that is correct

JA: if we could have "dc" in evidence. recognize?

yes, that was taken at my direction. that is the scale next to one of the roots.

JA: purpose of scale is to compare?

yes

HHJP: publish

JA: yes please. Publish now. Now some of the items found with remains, did examine and photo?

yes

JA: a baby blanket?

yes

JA: photographed?

yes

JA: please show witness picture

that was either taken by my direction or my staff

JA: move into evidence

HHJP: received

JA: this blanket is the condition that it came into your office?

yes, kind of unfolded

JA: figures?

yes, I might have taken that photograph.

JA: show the witness "dw" recognize?

yes

JA: figures on the blanket?

yes

JA: states exhibit "DW"

HHJP: received. publish

JA: ask mr. Perez to zoom in on this figure. when you viewed that figure did it look familiar?

winnie the pooh with pigglet on his back.

JA: "DX" is this a photo of the other side of that blanket?

HHJP: received into evidence. may publish

JA: did that blanket have some plant material growing in it?

yes

JA: photograph that?

yes I did

JA: next: is that a photo showing the root and plant activity?

yes

JA: DZ into evidence

HHJP: received. you may publish

JA: what are we looking at here?

close up to the edge of the blanket, the winnie the pooh and shows roots growing through it

JA: go to "ED" please. recognize?

yes

JA: enter into evidence

HHJP: received.

JA: for the record that is "ED"

HHJP: you may publish

JA: Now if we could have "EB" root material?

yes

JA: publish please?

HHJP: you may

JA: more root material?

that is correct

JA: can I have "DE"? recognize?

yes

JA: more root material growing into it?

yes

JA: may I publish?

HHJP: you may

JA: was there also root material growing in the black plastic bags?

root material was growing through both the holes in the bags.

JA: does this photo show the roots growing through the bags?

yes

JA: want to put in evidence.

HHJP: received you may publish

JA: was there also a canvas laundry bag?

yes there was

JA: were there roots growing withing that item as well?

it was canvas on the outside and a shiny vinal materal on the inside. the roots where growing on the surface.

JA: do you recognize that as the roots growing into the canvas bag?

yes

HHJP: received may publish

JA: is it fair to say plant roots were growing in and around everything?

no I don't think we saw roots in the shorts, we saw roots in bones and the shirt was disenigrated. but the two plastic bags and the canvas bag.

JA: how did you identify who this child was?

the best id was through DNA. it is difficult because of a child, we use teeth. we thought the best way to go was DNA.

JA: did your office send a bone to FBI for purposes of identification?

yes

JA: a photo of the bone upon its return from the DNA testing?

yes

JA: Dr. the portion that is missing from the bone is that how test?

yes

JA: did you receive results from the FBI?

yes

JA: did that lab indentify as Caylee Marie?

yes

JA: is it your job to determine cause of death and manner of death?

that is fundimental to my job. why we exist as an office.

JA: is manner of death medical or scientific?

it is based on scientific principals, knowing all tests all things into consideration to come up with an opinion...

side bar

Sorry but DT theory the body was moved just went right out window.

No way. No how. Not with that many roots growing through the blanket.

THAT is what I keep getting from all this testimony today! And it is VIP!

Just looking at these photos and hearing the descriptions make it obvious Caylee's little body layed in that swamp since JUNE 2008! The jury will think the same, imo.

Defense theory is bunked. They will never buy that BS.

Sidebar! What a surprise, since Dr. G was about to testify as to manner of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KelsMitts