2011.06.29 TRIAL Day Thirty-one (Morning Session)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4

11:33

PROFFER BY JA

Why did you obtain the fire arm? Two reasons - I wanted to go get answers that I believed I could get from individuals that I felt in my mind were responsible for Caylee.

JA: You were going to force them at gun point to tell you?

GA: When he picked up the gun, the 2nd or 3rd of September, the Sheriff's department came to the house, and because ICA was there, told him that they had found out he had purchased the gun and it was in violation of having a gun and alcohol with someone who was incarcerated. It was taken from him

On 1/22/09 were you going to take your life? Yes, and I still have those feelings.

Did you write a note? Yes. He was shown the note and identified it. He agreed it was a true and accurate statement of his thoughts and feelings as of that date.

Have you also sent text messages to friends, lawyer? He knows he sent them and that he called his sisters, mother and father to tell them good by. Told them not to worry (GA breaking down again) He needed at that time to go and be with Caylee because he felt he failed her.

Were you prevented of accomplishing your goal? Yes, if it weren't for LE, he would not be here today.

In that note, did you express some of the unanswered questions you had? I know I did, but I don't know exactly what I wrote. He wrote the note over many hours.

End of proffer.

HHJBP: Objections, JB?

JB: Much is beyond the scope of Direct, don't see the bearing of the gun.

JA: I believe counsel asked the witness about his knowledge of August to January. This is direct rebuttal.

JB: Counsel, please tell me what question you believe.

JA: I rely on the Court.

JB: I could cover the areas - decomp, his behavior with LE at first, behavior on jail video, financial interest, media appearances, abuse and knowledge of duct tape and gas cans.

JA: Questions were not limited to date and scope.

HHJBP: The subject of cross deals with the issue of GA's attempt to commit suicide. The issue of suicide was brought out in the Defense's cross(?) of GA. Those questions are a logical progression in that the gun had a relationship. So the Court will permit this ine of questioning. As I said before, you can mark and have him identify the note. As you know, until it comes into evidence, you can't question him about the contents.

Jury being returned (11:42)

CROSS EXAMINATION OF GA BY JA - continued

Did you purchase a gun in August of 2008?

Yes I did.

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

What was your purpose in purchasing the gun? He wanted answers from people who he thought knew what happened to Caylee.

Before he had a chance to do that, LE found out and came and took the gun away because ICA was home on bond.

On 1/22/09, 6 weeks after remains were found, did you travel to a hotel in Daytona Beach to take your own life? Yes, sir.

Why? He doesn't know why that day. His emotional state, even through today, is very hard to accept he does not have a granddaughter anymore. That day felt like the right time to go be with Caylee.

Did you call relatives?

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

He wanted to talk to his parents, his sisters, his son, his wife - to say goodbye for the last time. He did not recall the conversations. He was supposed to be going to a meeting.

Did you write a letter then? Yes. He was drinking alcohol and taking pills. He wrote the letter to his wife to tell her how he felt and how he didn't want to be in this world anymore.

Did you include questions you had about what happened? He does not remember what he said in the letter. It had numerous pages. He probably repeated himself. He had to express what he was feeling.

You wanted CA to know why you would be dead when she found the letter? Yes, because I couldn't tell her face to face.

He was shown the letter - 8 pages. He recognized it as the letter he wrote to his wife and family as he prepared to take his life.

But for the intervention for LE, you would not be here today?

OBJECTION - relevance and asked and answered - SUSTAINED

JA: I didn't ask in front of the Jury.

That is correct, is it not? Yes.

No further questions.

REDIRECT BY JB

Do you need a break Mr. Anthony? No, I'm fine.

JA asked you about sparring with him at the depo? Yes.

And that sparring ...

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

Do you recall JA reminding you of your oath? I'm sure he did.

This sparring was to try to pin your answers down on the gas cans?

OBJECTIONS - SUSTAINED

The questions had to do with the gas cans and duct tape? I know we talked about gas cans, duct tape, a lot of things.

The sparring related to the gas cans and duct tape? He guesses it was verbal sparring.

Would you classify my questions today about gas cans as sparring? Yes.

ICA was out on bond when he got the gun. When she came home, they met with a person from the Department of Correction regarding house arrest. The rules were explained. He was given a list of what could and couldn't be in the house. He knew that he couldn't have fire arms in the house and if one was found, she could go right back to jail. Within hours of them pulling up, they were there and they almost took ICA back to jail.

His emotional state when he purchased the gun...

OBJECTION - unresponsive - Listen carefully GA

He did not buy a gun before his daughter got out on bond.

Attempted suicide - you bought a 6 pack of beer? I don't know how much alcohol I purchased. It was beer. The pills were blood pressure pills? I had just gotten them a week before.

So you were drinking beer and blood pressure medication? Whatever it was, I took a large amount of medication along with drinking beer. He doesn't know what was recovered.

All of this was subsequent to 2 search warrants? 12/11/08? He wasn't there.

LE went through a lot of his things? They completely went through the house. They went through YOUR things? Everything in that house was associated with me. Yes, they went through my car.

You know the car was not in the search warrant?

OBJECTION - relevance - OVERRULED

You know your car was not listed and they went through it anyway? Yes.

They went through a lot of your personal things? I wasn't there.

They got the gas can on that day? I don't know.

You were given a property list? He wasn't there when the warrant was served and he can't recall the 70 or so items taken.

As ex LE he knows the warrant should be left at the home.

They took the duct tape on the gas can? He doesn't know.

When you came back from doing the Larry King show on 12/11, did you see that gas can ever again in your home? He did not come back to his home on that date. He doesn't remember when he came back. The house was in shambles. Things were flipped around.

OBJECTION BY JB - narrative - OVERRULED

Did you go to the Ritz Carlton? Yes.

OBJECTION - relevance - SUSTAINED

Came back home before the second search warrant was executed? Yes sir. I was there. He doesn't remember if he saw the gas can on that day.

OBJECTION - items?- SUSTAINED

Lunch recess

Does JB ever have to stop? God could he continue on like this for days?

I hope baez hires some body guards after this. I bet hes making alot of enemies!

I missed transcribing profer....HHBP rules logical sequence of questioning by JA and it will be allowed....
JA w/GA ...in 8/08 did you purchase firearm (object-overrule) purpose of purchase? want to get answers from people he believed were involved with grandaughter missing...felt they had info to give about Caylee and going to use that gun to force them to tell you about her....LE found out about purchase and came to my home with someone from DOC - handgun nor alcohol allowed inside home while kc was home....they took it same day I brought home it was in the rear spare tire area...had all proper locks and papers with it....on Jan...2009 six weeks later after remains found...traveled to motel decide to take life...why on that day? on that day don't know why that day...I know emotional state very hard to accept what happened to Caylee...just felt like right time to go and be with CAylee...(object-overrule) wanted to talk to my parents/sister to say goodbye for last st time...I was supposed to go to meeting that day....time to be with caylee...as sat in hotel write a letter to my loved ones ..yes letter drinking alcohol and took pills wrote letter to my wife...how I felt...include questions about what happened to Caylee...what I said in that letter I don't remember...didn't look over...numerous pages wrote....penmanship...probably repeated myself....I had to express what I was feeling and not feeling...wanted CA to know why you would be found dead....
Cross - exhibit A...approx 8 pages ...recognize that as letter wrote to wifeand family as prepared to take life....yes definiately ...
GA crying on stand...kc coldstare....but for intervention of LE you would not be here to today....(object-asked and answered...) he can answer....that is correct....

Re-direct-
JB - do you need break Mr. A no I am fine....Mr. Ashton asked you about sparring with Ashton @ depo....this sparring had him question your truthfulness? object
sparring went on about these gas can pin answers down...object my intention? sustain
questions had to do with gas cans....knbow thre were conversations we had gas cans, duct tape, my granddaughter....clarify sparring looked @ two ways...verbal sparring...considered yes....
JB JB classify my uestion with you about sparring....yes
first day kc on house arrest - first day came home met with person having to do with house arrest...yes and explained rules of what can do and cant do..given a list of what could and couldn't be in the house....on top of firearms could not be in that house...you knew if firearm in that house she would have to go right back to jaill....as soon as you drove up DOC right there...they almost took her back to jail....my emotional state when purchased that gun was go get answers about my granddaughter....my question to you before your daughter had those conditions from DOC didn't buy a gun...no I didnt....attemtped suicide - 6 pack of beer? 12 pack beer? don't remember....pills took blood pressure pills...got it a week before from physician...I had a lot of stuff nerves to keep me calm....took a bunch of pills and beer...do you know what recovered from hotel room? don't know....all of this ...
seach warrant issued on home 12/111/08 - wasn't there to accept....LE went thru alot your things...went thru whole house....everything inside house I have knowledge of I purchased ....my stuff...associated with you? your car....went thru it...went thru your car...not in search warrant (object-overrule) know your car not listed on search warrant went thru a lot of your personal things....not there to see search warrant went thru whole house...confiscated gas can...don't know....property list of what confiscated...I was not there...exactly what taken over 70 items taken from our home....you are ex-police warrant and all property taken left at the home? all I know house turned upside down...I don't know what taken from our home....when came back from Larry King show in Calif on 12/11 did you see gas can in your home again....I did not come back to my home on 12/11/08 I did not.....I don't remember what time we came home...I will say this...our house was in shambles ...flipped upside down...took us days...(object to narrative 0verruel)....went to Ritz-CArlton days...yes arrangements were made for CA and I...then came back home before 2nd search warrant ..yes...didn't see duct tape or gas can on that day? i don'tremember....had list of everything confiscated....I don't know all I know over 70 items taken....had in your possession of all items taken before 2nd search warrant...HHBP - sustain rephrase - it is 12 noon....
recess for lunch....

I truly believe this jury has no idea at all why Baez keeps yammering on about that gas can.

MagpieFromHinky Pamela
BZ is talking like he wishes GA had done a better job of killing himself.
5 minutes ago

Baez shut up about the gas cans already... Good grief.

HHJP cuts JB off at the knees.

OMG he is soooo combative and evasive and refusing to answer the question. What is wrong with just saying we came home the 12 not the 11th?????

I think the shame and embrassment Baez has caused him so he just trys gving it back to Baez like give him diffcult issues to.

Is Jose trying to show GA wanted to commit suicide because LE took his gas can? ... and GA was worried because he put that special duct on that gas can? ... because he hid Caylee's body?

Wow, HHJP means business. Makes me think he's weary of this testimony just like we are! Lunchtime straight up noon til 1:30!

Notice how GA did not say he was going to use the gun to force ICA to tell what happened to that little girl, but he was going after her friends. Does anyone else find this odd?

He was desperate to find Caylee. He was hoping beyond hope she was alive. He was getting stories from Casey about dropping Caylee off, Zanny kidnapping Caylee, they were looking for Zanny in North Carolina, Puerto Rico, New York....where else? Yeah, I think George was wanting to believe part of Casey's lies if only so he could continue believing Caylee was alive. So yeah, he was going to go after her friends to see what they knew. Under the circumstances, I don't find it odd.

I honestly have no idea where JB is going with this neverending gas can argument. At this point all I know is that KC stole them, JB is obsessed with them and GA has made a metric kabillion statements about them.

Baez seems to me to just ask the same questions over and over and over...

always wish we could get defense done before lunch so they can’t regroup

OMG he is soooo combative and evasive and refusing to answer the question. What is wrong with just saying we came home the 12 not the 11th?????

he's playing semantics like RK did but is NOT pulling it off.

Oh no. Baez has an hour and a half to find more questions to ask GA now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500