2011.09.15 EB Pleads Guilty to the Murder of Zahra

Could the $10,000 be part of the Federal Charges? No explanation that I'm aware of.

Video games were talked about but they kind of slid off the board as more things came forward.

In BOTH instances--still part of an ongoing federal investigation.

:cow:

Racking my brain and using every bit of logic I can muster up.

IMO, LE would not have brought the blood on the pants to our attention if it had been menstrual blood. I definitely think LE has tied the blood on the pants to Zahra's murder. Why would they point out something that didn't apply to the actual murder? Were they, LE, trying to tell the public Zahra didn't die from natural causes? So far, they have not explained many things with this case...so WHY did they make a point to tell this?

I would have liked to have heard from the medical examiner/coroner if the blood on the pants is one reason why he defined the death unknown homicidal causes. I was assuming the blood on the walls and floor was his basis.

Re BBM - Possibly an intricate part of their case against EB - proof that Zahra met with violence in that house. The guilty plea is an admission that Zahra did not pass away quietly from any illness.

Something that really bothers me, LE and the DA know without a smidgen of doubt that Zahra was murdered and 14 to 18 years was the best they could do - not blaming them, after FCA walked out of jail a free woman I have more insight into the whys and whatnots of the criminal justice system, but what a sorry statement this is that the DA had to settle for the minimum rather than going to trial and letting the truth be told in a court of law. This was not justice for Zahra! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have been staying with my DD, her DH and gbaby for the last several months in a condo that is roughly the size of the house the Bakers were living in when Zahra was murdered. It's like tent camping, no one can burp without everyone knowing. Baby has a bad night we all have a bad night, if someone were to go missing, there's no way it could be concealed for two weeks... Could. Not. Happen. So where are Adam's charges for child neglect, child abandonment, filing a false report to 911/LE?

ITA, LCoastMom -- Even if EB told him Z was not feeling well & not to wake her FOR TWO WEEKS, this chicken-hearted man should have at least quietly gone in there & given his flesh & blood a kiss or a pat on the head. Check her breathing? Did she look okay? Let her know he loved her? Let her know he was there?

Did he trust EB that much, to believe whatever she said about his own daughter? Did she tell him Z was visiting cousins & not home? Or did he already think something bad had happened & he was afraid to face EB's wrath if he asked about it? (There was, apparently, his "illegal status" to worry about.... If true, I guess EMS, the Emergency Room, County Health clinic, or LE was out of the question...) Damn the torpedoes, I'd get her somewhere if I had to put her on my back & walk.

I have been wondering all along whether he was mesmerized by her -- under some foggy (do not blame the pot, do not blame the pot) love-haze she put on him -- or was he scared to death to cross her?

Was he simply that gullible, or did he just not care about Zahra that much??

Neglect, heyell yes.

All IMHO.

...Something that really bothers me, LE and the DA know without a smidgen of doubt that Zahra was murdered and 14 to 18 years was the best they could do - not blaming them, after FCA walked out of jail a free woman I have more insight into the whys and whatnots of the criminal justice system, but what a sorry statement this is that the DA had to settle for the minimum rather than going to trial and letting the truth be told in a court of law. This was not justice for Zahra! :cry: :cry: :cry: ...

It sure seems that wasy doesn't it? It is hard to grasp.

I wonder if the DA's office has taken a holistic view on overall sentencing and events? As they've stated, given circumstances (evidence available) they were unable to secure a larger sentence, and risks were great going to trial. But if they're looking at this holistically then they might see the up-coming federal charges as an integral aspect of EB's crimes. I presume the DA would have been working hand-in-hand with the various legal organisations (FBI included) who were investigating EB? Is that correct?

I realise Zahra's death deserves the most serious consideration, and I would love to see huge ramifications resulting from that, but if I see EB go to jail for additional decades as a result of the other charges, then I'll be satisfied. I see Zahra's treatment and circumstances as a part of the whole situation – the drug dealing circumstances may have led to Zahra's death. EB was evil and immoral, she acted despicably in so many ways. Her dealing in drugs no doubt led to misery and suffering in countless lives and families beyond her own, and perhaps even deaths. So I'm keen to see the greatest possible cumulative sentencing possible. In that regard, I'm happy to trust the DA and FBI to secure that no matter how they need to.

I do want more facts to come out. I want Zahra's other remains to be located. I want explanations to why Adam was so negligent in his parental duties. I'd love to find out just how much information he offered in assistance to the authorities. But I may never get any of this. So for the moment I have to be satisfied with EB's sentences.

Also, I keep thinking back to my earliest posts about what I observed in Adam – that he appeared heavily medicated. At the time I thought it was because he was suffering from the trauma of Zahra's demise, but now accept it was probably part and parcel of his pot-headed malaise. Who knows if there were other drugs as well? Maybe he's just totally drug-f$@&#$ as it's called? It goes a long way to explain his lack of emotional elevation, his monotone voice and attitude. We've all grappled with observing these things ... I think the word "dope" was thrown around countless times to describe his behaviour, attitude and personality, though we didn't realise how close to the mark that was! What a pathetic situation. Poor Zahra :(

Well, I have been away, and just found out about this plea deal.

It makes me sick.

Rest in Peace, sweet Zahra. :(

15548164_BG2.jpg

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15548164/anniversay-of-zahras-death-was-saturday

I can't figure this out...WHY DID ELISA PLEA? She is well aware of the drug charges and knows she will probably be in prison for the rest of her life because of those. In my mind, Elisa did not cop a plea for compassion but instead to benefit herself. But how does this really benefit her?

The only things I can come up with are: she didn't want to go through the trials regarding bigamy and see/confront all those past husbands, or she truly is afraid of a courtroom. I don't know.

Maybe she was informed if she plead guilty, the truth would never come out. That would benefit her ego, I guess.

Can anyone come up with good reasons?

BBM: I think EB plead out, because she wouldn't be able to stand any more attention on ZAHRA, at a trial. SHE ended it, had the control.

Purely vile, selfish, wicked, evil, non-human being. :furious:

BBM

I've been wondering the same thing, L-CMom - Maybe they felt they couldn't have charged her with 1st DM -- what evidence of premeditation did they have? -- IDK. No COD really hurt their case, IMO.

And maybe it was truly 2ndDM -- EB just lost her temper, as she had so many times before, and beat her (??) so badly that she caused a blunt force trauma injury to her head, or just let her bleed to death, or smothered her (smothering takes a few minutes like strangulation, literally, and this could be stretched by the ADAs to 1st DM, possibly -- but they don't have proof of that...

Probably EB this time, just simply beat her too, too much & killed her. If so, a 2nd DM charge might have been the best they could do with no COD.

And NC Sentencing Guidelines state how many months a defendant can be charged -- it has to do with aggravating factors -- which she admitted and this added to her sentence today, also prior felony points add to a sentence, but IIRC, EB had none. So this might have been a better deal than we think. That's the best light I can put on it -- and I'm not trying to make the ADAs look good, I'm just trying to find something from this thing that I can tolerate & feel okay with.

I'm now, as we all are, pinning my hopes on the Feds with their drug charges -- and they spare no mercy on drug charges, rest assured of that. And our EB probably has nothing to give them to help reduce what could be a 115 YEAR sentence.

So cross your fingers, folks. And hope for the worst.
icon8.gif

borndem I've reread this post a couple of times, something kept niggling the back of my mind. In CA child abuse that leads to death can bring a charge of First Degree Murder - we don't need aforethought or premeditation. Abusing a child and causing that child's death will get you 25 to Life, that means you spend 25 years in prison minimum before you get parole (other charges will also apply and add time to the sentence). Is that law different in NC?

Surely there were enough reports from outside sources that could have proved EB was abusing Zahra. So many people came forward claiming to have called CPS - EB was never exonerated, she slipped through the cracks when they moved. She even has a history of abusing her former spouses.

EB was facing 60 years of hard time, how in Hades did she end up with over 2/3's of her sentence being wiped away?

I wonder, wonder, wonder what she has planned for her federal case? Does she think she can pull this off again? Does she plan on turning evidence on others to get a deal? :maddening: :maddening: Something stinks here.

...I wonder, wonder, wonder what she has planned for her federal case? Does she think she can pull this off again? Does she plan on turning evidence on others to get a deal? :maddening: :maddening: Something stinks here.

Question: If EB agreed to provide evidence to something considered BIG and VALUABLE in relation to the drug-related world, and a deal was struck (with FBI, DA or whoever is relevant), would this have been mentioned at the court sentencing? Will such an arrangement be mentioned at the forthcoming drug-related court appearance? Is that type of information available to the public or is it kept quiet for privacy reasons pending investigation?

borndem I've reread this post a couple of times, something kept niggling the back of my mind. In CA child abuse that leads to death can bring a charge of First Degree Murder - we don't need aforethought or premeditation. Abusing a child and causing that child's death will get you 25 to Life, that means you spend 25 years in prison minimum before you get parole (other charges will also apply and add time to the sentence). Is that law different in NC?

Surely there were enough reports from outside sources that could have proved EB was abusing Zahra. So many people came forward claiming to have called CPS - EB was never exonerated, she slipped through the cracks when they moved. She even has a history of abusing her former spouses.

EB was facing 60 years of hard time, how in Hades did she end up with over 2/3's of her sentence being wiped away?

I wonder, wonder, wonder what she has planned for her federal case? Does she think she can pull this off again? Does she plan on turning evidence on others to get a deal? :maddening: :maddening: Something stinks here.

Hi, LCoastMom!! :seeya:

I don't know where the "60 years of hard time" was mentioned, so I can't speak to that, LCoastMom. ::
icon7.gif
:: The years she got for 2nd DM comes from the NCGS Sentencing Guidelines for penalties for crimes. Her sentence was in the "aggravated" (maximum) range for someone with no or low prior felony points, so for a charge of 2nd DM, she was hit with the max in her category. If she had been given the minimum in her category, it would have been 7 years/10 months to 10 years/2 months. So apparently her atty couldn't or didn't even try for that level. (As if)

In 1994, NC did away with parole in sentences, and instead is using "Structured Sentencing" which has to do with what I mentioned above, having to do with "mitigated," "presumptive," and "aggravated" sentences and prior felony points, but there is a way of earning good-time, or whatever it is officially called, but it is not a "one day forgiven for one good conduct day."

I still say that without a cause or method of death other than "homicide," I think a 1st Degree Murder case would have been a real crapshoot with a jury trial.

So, with regard to NC law, all I can do is to cite the North Carolina General Statutes section defining 1st & 2nd Degree Murder (hope this helps!). Just a little light reading
icon11.gif
--

SUBCHAPTER III. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON.
Article 6.
Homicide.
§ 14‑17. Murder in the first and second degree defined; punishment.
A murder which shall be perpetrated by means of a nuclear, biological, or chemical weapon of mass destruction as defined in G.S. 14‑288.21, poison, lying in wait, imprisonment, starving, torture, or by any other kind of willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing, or which shall be committed in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of any arson, rape or a sex offense, robbery, kidnapping, burglary, or other felony committed or attempted with the use of a deadly weapon shall be deemed to be murder in the first degree, a Class A felony, and any person who commits such murder shall be punished with death or imprisonment in the State's prison for life without parole as the court shall determine pursuant to G.S. 15A‑2000, except that any such person who was under 18 years of age at the time of the murder shall be punished with imprisonment in the State's prison for life without parole. All other kinds of murder, including that which shall be proximately caused by the unlawful distribution of opium or any synthetic or natural salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of opium, or cocaine or other substance described in G.S. 90‑90(1)d., or methamphetamine, when the ingestion of such substance causes the death of the user, shall be deemed murder in the second degree, and any person who commits such murder shall be punished as a Class B2 felon. (1893, cc. 85, 281; Rev., s. 3631; C.S., s. 4200; 1949, c. 299, s. 1; 1973, c. 1201, s. 1; 1977, c. 406, s. 1; 1979, c. 682, s. 6; 1979, c. 760, s. 5; 1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1251, ss. 1, 2; c. 1316, s. 47; 1981, c. 63, s. 1; c. 179, s. 14; c. 662, s. 1; 1987, c. 693; 1989, c. 694; 1993, c. 539, s. 112; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 21, s. 1; c. 22, s. 4; c. 24, s. 14(c); 2001‑470, s. 2; 2004‑178, s. 1; 2007‑81, s. 1.)

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-17.html

BBM:
LCoastMom, I think it's more the other way around. I don't think she's got anything planned for the federal charges... I think they have something planned for her.

I sure hope so, anyway. :innocent:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/23/2715365/from-jail-elisa-baker-insists.html

From jail, Elisa Baker insists she didn't do it

She speaks publicly for first time since pleading guilty to killing stepdaughter Zahra

--snipped----

Throughout the interview, Elisa Baker deflected blame for the crime, saying she had no choice but to follow her husband's orders.

"I took blame for everything and I shouldn't have," she said. "I'm very angry he's not here."

In fact, Baker said, she helped investigators. Police stated in court that they would not have found any of Zahra's body without Baker's assistance.

"Quite honestly, I'm going to be blunt," she said. "If it hadn't been for me, the Hickory police would still be going around chasing tail and eating doughnuts."

"I wanted her found," Baker told the Observer. She talked for a few more minutes about her case and revealed that her three biological children have not visited her. She mentioned writing a book when a sheriff's deputy opened the door and cut off the interview.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/23/2715365/from-jail-elisa-baker-insists.html

From jail, Elisa Baker insists she didn't do it

She speaks publicly for first time since pleading guilty to killing stepdaughter Zahra

--snipped----

Throughout the interview, Elisa Baker deflected blame for the crime, saying she had no choice but to follow her husband's orders.

"I took blame for everything and I shouldn't have," she said. "I'm very angry he's not here."

In fact, Baker said, she helped investigators. Police stated in court that they would not have found any of Zahra's body without Baker's assistance.

"Quite honestly, I'm going to be blunt," she said. "If it hadn't been for me, the Hickory police would still be going around chasing tail and eating doughnuts."
"I wanted her found," Baker told the Observer. She talked for a few more minutes about her case and revealed that her three biological children have not visited her. She mentioned writing a book when a sheriff's deputy opened the door and cut off the interview.

BBM

Quite honestly if you had'nt murdered Zahra....we would'nt be subjected to you lonely rambling for more attention. IMO I think she's jealous that they (LE) are free to chase tail and eat doughnuts. Good.

I am amazed that karma has not just dropped this woman dead in her tracks...yet.

Thank you Laurie J.

In my opinion, SOME of this makes more sense than Adam not knowing anything for 2 weeks. Adam's excuse of being high on pot every night doesn't get it with me! I'm not a pot smoker, but I don't think that someone smoking pot is oblivious to the world around them.

In my opinion, the only way now to see Adam serve some time in prison is for Elisa to give "good evidence" to the FEDS, & her defense attorney, where Adam was involved with the drug transactions.

Yes, I THINK she killed Zahra, but I don't know that for a fact. But, I also think she is telling the truth about Adam dismembering Zahra...to save his own skin and not be deported back to Australia. Come to think of it, maybe the reason why Adam was so willing to have Zahra homeschooled was he was afraid the school would find out HE was here illegally.

Zahra's blood spatter on the ceiling? :(

Is there no end to the atrocity?

That woman is pure evil.

Baker said her lawyer, Scott Reilly, told her accepting a plea deal was in her best interest.

"I wouldn't get a fair trial here, or anywhere," she said. "I'm going to be an old woman when I get out." Reilly said Saturday that he advised Baker to take the plea deal because the evidence against her was strong. He cited Baker's inconsistent statements, her acknowledgment that Adam wasn't around when Zahra died, blood splatter on Zahra's bedroom ceiling, and cellphone records that placed her where the remains were discarded.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/23/2715365/from-jail-elisa-baker-insists.html#ixzz1bcNhtOuA

EB Claims She's Innocent

The North Carolina woman who pleaded guilty last month to killing her 10-year-old disabled stepdaughter now insists in a jail interview that she's innocent and was an unwilling participant in covering up her death.

The Charlotte Observer reported Sunday that 43-year-old Elisa Baker portrayed herself as a loving stepmother who was only following her lawyer's advice in pleading guilty.

“I pled guilty, but I'm not guilty,” she told reporters in a 30-minute interview at the Mecklenburg County jail. Zahra was “the light of my eyes.”

Snipped: http://www.gastongazette.com/articles/death-62347-old-baker.html

This is sickening. :(

*shudder*

agreed Kaylynn, the particular quote that put me over the edge was her saying that "Zahra was the light of my eyes"

Those soulless eyes, IMO, nothing could light them and her statement that Zahra was the light of them is just despicable given the circumstances.

:frown:

Ugh, she is revolting. And at this stage I'm perfectly willing to see AB go free on possible neglect charges or charges related to covering up a death, if convicting him has even a slight chance of opening the door for EB to appeal. She spreads pain and criminality among law abiding and vulnerable people where-ever she goes and keeping her locked up is a matter of public safety.

Oh lord and blood splatter on the ceiling.

This lady is pure evil and still no why.

I can only hope that the feds can put her away for a very long time

They would have to prove that the abuse directly resulted in the death to charge like that. While they can prove that she died and they might be able to prove that she was abused at some point, the two things are not necessarily linked. That would be the problem for the prosecution.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back