2022 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Hey all. It has been too quiet and now all of a sudden... Hurricane Fiona is headed for Canada.

Okay, Florida is now in the cone. I am in the cone. Eek, here we go.

Edited to add: where were you PayrollNerd? It appears so far, not a good time to return to Florida. I haven't been on in a while. How are your daughters doing?

Fiona heading for Canada looks scary. Hope everyone is taking the warnings seriously.

A side note, my friend is dog sitting a little Sheltie at her house for a couple of weeks. I’ve been helping her because this is a very active dog. She tears around the house barking and jumping on all the furniture. She is a 20 pound terror.

Her name is Fiona. We promptly renamed her “Hurricane Fiona.”

Fiona heading for Canada looks scary. Hope everyone is taking the warnings seriously.

A side note, my friend is dog sitting a little Sheltie at her house for a couple of weeks. I’ve been helping her because this is a very active dog. She tears around the house barking and jumping on all the furniture. She is a 20 pound terror.

Her name is Fiona. We promptly renamed her “Hurricane Fiona.”
Dear @IceIce9,

With every update, this looks even more ominous.

I can't imagine how extremely worrisome this is for the people on the Eastern coast.
My heart is with them and I can only hope for the best in such a frightening situation.

Excerpt:

'Historic, extreme event'

The Canadian Hurricane Centre says Hurricane Fiona will make landfall in eastern Nova Scotia as a powerful post-tropical storm early Saturday.

In a Friday afternoon briefing, Bob Robichaud, a warning preparedness meteorologist with the centre, cautioned people not to focus on the hurricane's track since its effects will be felt across a swath of eastern Canada.

Environment Canada says this includes much of Nova Scotia, P.E.I., southeastern New Brunswick, western and southwestern Newfoundland, and some parts of Quebec bordering the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Robichaud said Fiona is bigger than Hurricane Juan, the 2003 storm that pummeled Nova Scotia. It's similar in size to Hurricane Dorian, which hit Nova Scotia in 2019, but it's stronger.

"It is certainly going to be a historic, extreme event for Atlantic Canada," said Robichaud.

Hey all. It has been too quiet and now all of a sudden... Hurricane Fiona is headed for Canada.

Okay, Florida is now in the cone. I am in the cone. Eek, here we go.

Edited to add: where were you PayrollNerd? It appears so far, not a good time to return to Florida. I haven't been on in a while. How are your daughters doing?
I went north to see my friend in GA, an uncle in WV and an uncle in PA. I was gone for 2 weeks. I was really hoping any bad storm would have happened during my absence. Both my girls are moving in the next week so it's been a bit nuts here.

I am in Sarasota but my house is not in an evacuation zone. I typically stay put for CAT 1, 2 & 3. However, if a CAT 3 is a direct hit, I may go back to my friends place in east Atlanta. My place is concrete block construction with a 4 year old shingle roof. That means the under-layment meets the new code. It has to be a "stick down" material so if shingles blow off, you don't have to put up a tarp.

My oldest and I will probably put up the hurricane shutters but I'll need to rent the right drill. The person who initially installed them used incorrect bolts.

What part of FL are you in?

I went north to see my friend in GA, an uncle in WV and an uncle in PA. I was gone for 2 weeks. I was really hoping any bad storm would have happened during my absence. Both my girls are moving in the next week so it's been a bit nuts here.

I am in Sarasota but my house is not in an evacuation zone. I typically stay put for CAT 1, 2 & 3. However, if a CAT 3 is a direct hit, I may go back to my friends place in east Atlanta. My place is concrete block construction with a 4 year old shingle roof. That means the under-layment meets the new code. It has to be a "stick down" material so if shingles blow off, you don't have to put up a tarp.

My oldest and I will probably put up the hurricane shutters but I'll need to rent the right drill. The person who initially installed them used incorrect bolts.

What part of FL are you in?
Oh my, WV and PA would be better. Atlanta, GA I guess..too big a city for me. I remember accidentally going downtown Atlanta in a down pour, very scary. I have a panic fear of storms. Oh no your daughters moving at perhaps an inconvenient time.

The good place to be is cement construction. I assume you are still in same place. You still fostering dogs? I so enjoyed your stories and photos. I haven't been in Websleuths for a while except for the runaway guard Vicky White with the criminal Casey White and Johnny Depp defamation trial which was a first for me to venture out of murders and the missing.

I am in Putnam County.

I have a cousin in St Petersburg, FL, with hurricane windows as of year or so ago. I have a newly adopted sister in Cocoa Beach, FL across from the ocean. Brother and nephew in Port Charlotte, FL and step brother in New Smyrna Beach, FL, just a sand dune and then the ocean. Not counting friends.

Wow, your daughter has to be worrying every time and now a new baby. Florida when you think about It is surrounded by water. Prayers for your family in Tampa Bay area.

Is there a hurricane heading toward Florida in addition to Fiona, which is heading to Halifax in Canada?

Oh my, WV and PA would be better. Atlanta, GA I guess..too big a city for me. I remember accidentally going downtown Atlanta in a down pour, very scary. I have a panic fear of storms. Oh no your daughters moving at perhaps an inconvenient time.

The good place to be is cement construction. I assume you are still in same place. You still fostering dogs? I so enjoyed your stories and photos. I haven't been in Websleuths for a while except for the runaway guard Vicky White with the criminal Casey White and Johnny Depp defamation trial which was a first for me to venture out of murders and the missing.

I am in Putnam County.
I haven't fostered as many dogs as I was, simply due to my health. The shelter is normally closed Monday but I am going to email them to see what the plan is for this upcoming hurricane. I've helped them out thru prior hurricanes.

Yes, the girls both having to move by Sept 30th, their Dad is remarrying tomorrow (he's in TN) so they had to travel and oh, let's throw in a hurricane, just for good measure.

1663983471557.png

I haven't fostered as many dogs as I was, simply due to my health. The shelter is normally closed Monday but I am going to email them to see what the plan is for this upcoming hurricane. I've helped them out thru prior hurricanes.

Yes, the girls both having to move by Sept 30th, their Dad is remarrying tomorrow (he's in TN) so they had to travel and oh, let's throw in a hurricane, just for good measure.

View attachment 368320
I guess your daughters will be back in Florida before the hurricane (Ian) arrives, correct? Looks like it will head up to my state (NC) later, but of course we don't know the exact path of the storm yet.

View attachment 368320
I am sorry to hear your health not up to par. You are an amazing wonder. That's really nice of you to help out during hurricanes.

Oh my wrong timing for their Dad to get married. Did you have to throw in a photo of a hurricane? (lol) poor joke, I know. :)
I guess your daughters will be back in Florida before the hurricane (Ian) arrives, correct? Looks like it will head up to my state (NC) later, but of course we don't know the exact path of the storm yet.
Oh no, well I don't know how this happened. But I wanted to reply to you Anneg but thought I posted the one to PayrollNerd already.

My BFF lives in NC...about one hour or so from Cape Hatteras. We are in touch frequently. The last couple of hurricanes she reminded me today that they were on the right side (the worst side) of the last two. I hope y'all stay safe up there.

An unofficial barometric pressure of 931.6 mb was recorded at Hart Island, which would make Fiona the lowest pressure land-falling storm on record in Canada, according to the Canadian Hurricane Centre. Wind observations on Beaver Island in eastern Nova Scotia were recorded at 94 mph (152 km/h).

An unofficial barometric pressure of 931.6 mb was recorded at Hart Island, which would make Fiona the lowest pressure land-falling storm on record in Canada, according to the Canadian Hurricane Centre. Wind observations on Beaver Island in eastern Nova Scotia were recorded at 94 mph (152 km/h).

Rampant power outages were triggered due to Fiona's landfall, with over 400,000 residents of Nova Scotia without power as of Saturday morning, along with more than 82,000 outages for Prince Edward Island.

The storm continues to move northward at a brisk pace as of 8 a.m. Eastern Time on Saturday, with a forward speed of 23 mph. Some of the highest wind gusts in Atlantic Canada thus far were noted in Wreckhouse, Nova Scotia (103 mph); St. Paul Island, Nova Scotia (98 mph); and Beaven Island, Nova Scotia (93 mph).

Fiona is expected to continue moving quickly northward into Atlantic Canada, bringing damaging winds, flooding rain and coastal flooding.
FionaEyePathUpdate924.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back