4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes too long because of the DP. I'm following a case where a defendant is charged under the DP with 22 felonies, this includes 8 homicides, 4 aggravated burglary ....etc.....And he was arrested on November 13, 2018 and his trial wont happen until 2025.

6 1/2 years since arrest.
I live in a state that got rid of the DP and murder trials do not take this long when speedy trial is waived.

I don't agree with allowing the stalling. If she is stalling because she doesn't want to go to trial on a losing case then she shouldn't have taken this case. If she thinks he mudered 4 people she should want justice.

She has to say he is innocent because Bryan TELLS HER HE IS INNOCENT. She can't say anything else. She has no choice but to proceed as if he is the wrong person sitting in jail.

I believe she consults with Bryan on every Motion, all Motions are in his name. I believe he wants to drag it out and if he said:

"I'm tired of sitting in jail, let's get me to trial to prove me innocent" Then I believe she would be setting a trial date.

The judge thinks this is dragging out too long and I assume his hands are tied due to this being a DP case. Higher standards according to AT.

2 Cents

Reminds me of two friends of mine who drug out a divorce for 12 years.

No.

He was pulled over twice in Indiana and warned about driving too close to another vehicle.

I find it odd that this happened 2 X's in a row. I believe the FBI had the Indiana hwy partol pull him over to confirm it was him....How it seems to me.
I am suspicious about this as well, but I doubt we'll ever get the truth since it may be classed as an investigative technique.

The police planted the sheath?
No.

He was pulled over twice in Indiana and warned about driving too close to another vehicle.

I find it odd that this happened 2 X's in a row. I believe the FBI had the Indiana hwy partol pull him over to confirm it was him....How it seems to me.
Still, there was a nation wide BOLO for a white Elantra,

The police planted the sheath?

Still, there was a nation wide BOLO for a white Elantra,

I believe the BOLO was unrelated to the 2 traffic stops in Indiana.

On Nov. 25, the Moscow Police Department asked regional law enforcement to look for a white Elantra. Three nights later, a WSU police officer ran a query for any white Elantras on campus and found BK's white Elantra registered to him.

They saw his license matched the witness description and that he had a traffic stop in Moscow with his phone number listed.

His phone cell tower pings coincided with a white Elantra that night, the Elantra that they suspected was his.

They suspected BK before they matched his DNA, this is why this is a strong case. I suspect BK is stalling his own trial...scared I believe. DP is scary.

2 Cents

Last edited:
I am suspicious about this as well, but I doubt we'll ever get the truth since it may be classed as an investigative technique.

If this was an investigative technique I think they screwed it up. Investigators shouldn't be making the suspect suspicious and it looks somewhat suspicious to be stopped 2 times in a row for alledged tailgating. I think - if this was for investigation purposes - that they did not plan to stop him twice. I think one time would be sufficient.... 2 Cents

Way back when this first happened, I recall wondering about this, as we all were at the time.

IMO though it was nothing but troopers on highway duty doing their job. Pulling over a heavy-footed driver.

If the FBI were trying to enact a sting, they would’ve stung then, rather than (as you’ve stated) allow him to drive away for the next few thousand miles.

It’s true too that they couldn’t know at the time if BK would take his dad hostage. They wouldn’t take that risk, IMO.

I cannot envision a scenario where a suspect in a quadruple murder is sent on his merry way, if the FBI at that time was following him.

JMO
IMO, I believe they wanted to know for sure it was him. They knew he had left Washington, and stated that they had lost surveillance on him for awhile. I believe they were just making sure it was him. And he was just a suspect (POI) at the time.

Not sure I've seen a prosecutor state that, but legally, it is taught in law school that the probable cause affadavit has but one purpose (to obtain an arrest warrant; it does not have any relevance to conviction).

The State has filed charges against BK that it expects will lead to conviction. The conviction cannot be based on the PCA but must be based on all the evidence as presented at actual trial. This would include evidence obtained after the arrest (such as BK's actual DNA). In that sense, a prosecutor would be correct to say that the PCA has no relevance to the trial (for example, the whole trash diving thing that resulted in the PCA doesn't need to be brought up again - although it could be). A judge has to decide, based on arguments from both sides, what to allow in (using legal precedents).

So, if something is brought up at trial, it isn't because it was in the PCA, it is because it is now relevant to the trial. In Idaho (and most other states) the Court has to decide what to let in to the trial - and the Defense can challenge each piece of evidence as it comes up and has a duty to try and exclude any evidence that doesn't fit Idaho case law (or cases that have been appealed to higher courts). It's a kind of dance.

IMO.
Great points! And exactly hey? That paternal dna test, matching sheath button dna to trash dna, becomes irrelevant as soon as a direct match between BK buccal swab and suspect sample is made. It's a guess. but this could be what or some of what state is referring to in Motion to Limit Testimony, though ofcourse as @SpiderFalcon noted we haven't seen it and maybe we won't cos sealing. Good to read you!!

So, you think the FBI lied or was playing semantics games or something else?

I admit I, too, was initially suspicious even though my gut told me there was no way in heck LE would allow a suspected mass murderer with a potential hostage/victim to take off footloose & fancy free from one side of the country to the other. The pushback from LE, including the FBI, convinced me otherwise.

Snip below comes from an article that was initially published at 4:18 pm (MT), June 8, 2023 & subsequently updated at 5:01 pm (MT), September 15, 2023:
Was FBI tailing Bryan Kohberger cross-country? Why Indiana police stopping him twice
View attachment 504327

Does the FBI have to tell us the public the truth?

Update: Today's scheduled closed-door evidentiary hearing for #BryanKohberger has been canceled. The court clerk told me she was unable to say why or answer questions about it. The other #Idaho4 closed hearing set for Thursday remains on the calendar.

Is it just me…… but does the suspect / defendant appear smug and even perhaps ‘proud’ or ‘satisfied’ in the picture in that tweet?

IMO the look and perceived smile displayed by BK in that image is somewhat disturbing. MOO

Is it just me…… but does the suspect / defendant appear smug and even perhaps ‘proud’ or ‘satisfied’ in the picture in that tweet?

IMO the look and perceived smile displayed by BK in that image is somewhat disturbing. MOO
I don't think character traits can be inferred from a photograph, personally.

The defendant seems to enjoy getting dressed up in a suit & tie, & playing “lawyer”. This is fulfilling a fantasy for him, in my humble opinion. Who knows?
MOO

If this was an investigative technique I think they screwed it up. Investigators shouldn't be making the suspect suspicious and it looks somewhat suspicious to be stopped 2 times in a row for alledged tailgating. I think - if this was for investigation purposes - that they did not plan to stop him twice. I think one time would be sufficient.... 2 Cents
I know I am the odd person out here, but I believe they purposely stopped BK 2 times back to back in order to let him 'know' they were on to him. By doing that perhaps they were hoping BK would be rattled enough to dispose of evidence or do something incriminating (on his phone or computers) once he got home to PA.

What are the odds that BK would be pulled over twice within 10-15 minutes for tailgating of all things when he'd drove cross country without incident?

Okay, tin foil hat aside, I do believe it's a possibility.

jmo

No. Remember, Moscow police said the witness DM was on the first floor becsuse they didn't want the killer to know she was the witness.

At that time Kohberger wasn't a suspect, but once he was, DM was safe from him because the FBI watched him.

2 Cents ...

Yes, I was under the impression LE is allowed to lie and hide their investigation until court.

I know I am the odd person out here, but I believe they purposely stopped BK 2 times back to back in order to let him 'know' they were on to him. By doing that perhaps they were hoping BK would be rattled enough to dispose of evidence or do something incriminating (on his phone or computers) once he got home to PA.

What are the odds that BK would be pulled over twice within 10-15 minutes for tailgating of all things when he'd drove cross country without incident?

jmo

I agree.

I don't think character traits can be inferred from a photograph, personally.

I will comment again (since nobody liked my first one and my source was even unusual to me).

I have read lots of things about BKs demeanor, etc. It is my opinion, and separate from the facts on this case, that there are many interesting behaviors, patterns, and awkwardness of BK.

I know there are a lot of people who like to defend him (if he is the accused I'm not exactly sure why other than to be empathetic). I think that might be more related to them than him. From what we've learned about this suspect, he has drawn attention physically, behaviorally, and from employers and institutions he was attending. His gait is interesting, and the way that I read his body language is sort of lurchy.

I've read many things people report about him and he is off on many levels. Does that translate to guilty? Well, we will see. My personal reaction is like an 11 out of a 1 to 10 on the "get away" meter. Something is a miss. Or more accurately, lots of things are. JMOO.

jmo

Great thinking outside the box. Investigators did stuff like this in other cases I follow.

It is called:

"Tickling the wire"

2 Cents

IMO, I believe they wanted to know for sure it was him. They knew he had left Washington, and stated that they had lost surveillance on him for awhile. I believe they were just making sure it was him. And he was just a suspect (POI) at the time.
Can you please cite a source where LE indicated they were conducting surveillance on BK & lost track of him at some point on his cross-country drive?

I recall reading after the fact that his license plate was captured on a plate reader in Loma, Colorado on 12/13/22, but I don’t recall reading that he was under direct active surveillance until he was in PA. Indeed, I’ve seen the claim repeatedly denied by LE, so I’d be grateful to be pointed to something I’ve missed — TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esig