4-year-old boy suspended for hair length

I don't think all parents are able to choose the schools their children attend. Many districts are zoned, and your children attend the schools they are told to attend.

My own personal belief is that it is completely and totally illegal to discriminate against anyone---even a child---because of his/her gender. We have laws that prevent that! I am frankly shocked that schools are allowed to continue to enforce rules that are enforced for one sex and not the other.

Not to mention that it is the parent's job (NOT the school's) to see that their child becomes a constructive member of society. Also, tight braids are very nice for a short while, but it is damaging to the hair if the hair is continually kept braided tightly for nine months of the year. The "solution" offered by the district simply points out that they are unfamiliar with the negative impact of tight braiding.

I completely and totally agree!

Back when I was in high school, girls could wear skirts, yet boys were not allowed to wear shorts. So sure enough...every year a massive bunch of boys would come to school dressed in skirts as spring arrived and temperatures got unbearable. And every year they were promptly suspended.

.......In a nation where girls have the right to join the boy scouts, it is rather "backward" thinking, not to mention illegal activity, on the part of that school district.

Really? Girls can join the Boy Scouts - tell me more! I've never heard that.

Did we establish whether this was a public or private school? He's four, so if it's a privately-funded pre-kindergarten then the school has every right to enforce an appearance code.

I know I probably have a really unpopular view, but there are going to be appearance codes throughout life. Long-haired men don't get the same attention during the interview process. They're not taken as seriously, unless they're in art or tech or something non-corporate.

I worked for Disney, and they have one of the strictest appearance codes on the planet. It's definitely been more relaxed over the last 10-15 years, but by "casting" and not employing, they can shuttle the long-haired, long-bearded me in one door and out the other. It doesn't fit with their image.

I say this as the wife of a guy who was a late-born hippie and would love to have long hair. He doesn't, though, because HR will say something. He won't do as well on interviews, should he choose to switch jobs. This mom revolting against the system now isn't going to change reality, which is that the kid will always be looked at differently by his teachers, peers, employers, etc, should this get that far.

I'm not some stodgy person who looks down on long hair. If guys keep it neat, it can look pretty presentable. But my perception has nothing to do with societal pressure, which is likely to be there for a very long time.

That said, I won't let my boys keep their hair long. I just don't like the look on little boys. So often, they look like little girls or the parents don't spend enough time combing it out so it looks unkempt. Or the parents get tired of caring for it and it turns into a mullet. And with the really little boys, it always seems less cute and more like the parents are trying to make a statement, which I think is part of what is happening in this story.

Once upon a time, there was a long haired, dyslexic high school drop out..........his name was albert einstein

Really? Girls can join the Boy Scouts - tell me more! I've never heard that.

I don't know about officially, but my mother was a Den Mother and my father was a Den Leader (or whatever it's called), so I was as close to a Boy Scout as any kid could be, as I was at every meeting and did every activity. I didn't get the perks of the uniform or the ceremony, but I didn't care; I was eight years old and just wanted to do the fun stuff.

Did we establish whether this was a public or private school? He's four, so if it's a privately-funded pre-kindergarten then the school has every right to enforce an appearance code.

I don't think anyone ever stated whether this is a public or private school. At age 4, I'd have to guess a private preschool. Private schools have the right to set the rules. You obey or you don't attend. If this is a public school the situation gets trickier.

I don't think anyone ever stated whether this is a public or private school. At age 4, I'd have to guess a private preschool. Private schools have the right to set the rules. You obey or you don't attend. If this is a public school the situation gets trickier.

It's a public school - Mesquite Independent School District in TX.

songbird Celine Dion's well-loved, adorable six year old son with her husband:

rene-angelil-celine-dion-04.jpg

rene-angelil-celine-dion.jpg

I think the school rule is sexist and discriminatory. Since public tax money and funds go to that school, they should conform to the laws of the country and state against discrimination. I admire that little four year old boy's stance and I'm glad his mother fully supports him.

Francine, I see your point, but my view is this.....in life we all have to conform to a certain extent to thrive. When his parents chose to send him to public school they should be willing to honor the rules there as long as they do not intimidate or hurt anyone. Hes four years old, his parents should cut his hair. If they don't want to make him cut his hair, homeschool him. This is one of those silly issues we get hung up on when really serious stuff is ignored.

Francine, I see your point, but my view is this.....in life we all have to conform to a certain extent to thrive. When his parents chose to send him to public school they should be willing to honor the rules there as long as they do not intimidate or hurt anyone. Hes four years old, his parents should cut his hair. If they don't want to make him cut his hair, homeschool him. This is one of those silly issues we get hung up on when really serious stuff is ignored.

I see what you're saying, but if nobody ever stood up for change, then where would we be? Back to old-fashioned ideals that were tried and true until someone said it wasn't necessarily fair, and from that voice change was implemented. The hair is not a big issue, but I disagree with standing down and going with the flow. If it was me, I'd probably just cut my child's hair so he could go back to school. But I'm not a mover or a shaker. It's the movers and the shakers who have brought much-needed change to the world, even simple things like girls wearing pants to school, or playing more diversified sports.

I have a long-haired (longer than the 4 yr. old's hair) 6th grade grandson attending public school in Pennsylvania. No one at his school has said a word about his hair. And they do have a dress code, which at the K-6 level seems to address mostly the words or messages on T shirts.

Grandson is now considering having his hair cut. According to his parents, it will be his decision. And yes, we have discussed donating the hair for children who have cancer.

In the Texas case, if the school policy does not apply to both girls and boys regarding hair length it is clearly a discriminatory policy.
But I don't know that federal laws against discrimination cover school dress and grooming policies.

It would be interesting to find out.

songbird Celine Dion's well-loved, adorable six year old son with her husband:

rene-angelil-celine-dion-04.jpg

rene-angelil-celine-dion.jpg

He's cute,but I don't see how this relates to this topic,unless Celine is sending him to a school with a strict dress code and is refusing to cut his hair?:waitasec:

IMO,it's not about the hair,it's adhereing to rules and regulations in some situations,something that children will have to learn in life and what some schools want to teach. I find nothing wrong with that.

My opinion will be unpopular - but I feel that school (along with hopefully the HOME) is a place where children learn that we ALL have to follow rules in life - and in this case the school has a rule about hair length. .. The kid's hair should be cut (IMHO) ..

I believe the REAL child here is the mother - who is really the one refusing to cut the hair.

I truly believe that it's a general lack of respect for ANY rules that leads to the disintegration of society .. this story is teeny weeny little example - but it's a sad but growing trend for our society.

If the mother has THAT much of a problem with the rule ... MOVE to another district ... Pony up the money and send the kid to a private school that doesn't have the rule ... Or for pitys sake - just cut the hair ... don't make an issue out of breaking the rules ... all for the sake of attention (which is how I see it..)

I've been following this post for a few days..

I'm not sure exactly how I feel; I think it's gone on for too long though and someone needs to do something so this child can go back to class. It is the boy suffering.

I don't doubt the boy has an opinion on his hair; my son did at that age. Tails were popular back then, his "father" hated it & actually cut it off one time.. my son was so mad.

This boy has a lot of hair; the way it waves, may cause problems with some cuts.

I'm sure a cut could be found that would make him & his parents happy as well as the school. I don't feel he needs to buzz it all off. I think if the bangs were trimmed some, then do a modern "bowl cut" he should be fine.

I understand what the parents problem is though, and I'm be ticked someone is dictating what I had to do. Sure, it's easy to say move; but who has the money? Could be that they do not

Edit - My son was never happy with a boy cut.. his hair never looked right. He eventually stopped cutting it; and at 24 it is down his back. He keeps it neatly pulled back & has not been a problem with work.

Celine's boy looks like a girl...totally. Young kids normally don't care about
hair.....can't we all just kinda follow the rules...they are life changing so what is the problem.

Years ago we could'nt wear pants or jeans to school. So we didn't.
I don't get why a parent wouldn't cut a 6 year olds hair and no, I don't
give HIM credit for standing by his decision.

Celine's boy looks like a girl...totally. Young kids normally don't care about
hair.....can't we all just kinda follow the rules...they are life changing so what is the problem.

Years ago we could'nt wear pants or jeans to school. So we didn't.
I don't get why a parent wouldn't cut a 4 year olds hair and no, I don't
give HIM credit for standing by his decision.

He's cute,but I don't see how this relates to this topic,unless Celine is sending him to a school with a strict dress code and is refusing to cut his hair?:waitasec:

IMO,it's not about the hair,it's adhereing to rules and regulations in some situations,something that children will have to learn in life and what some schools want to teach. I find nothing wrong with that.

I agree with you in large part, capps. But when a rule is stupid or evil, we need to rebel against it and change it. This rule is stupid and needs to be changed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back