5.4 Earthquake rocks Illinois

Well, I was at work (3rd shifter, yuckie) in DeKalb, IL and we had just returned from break at 4:15 and none of us felt or heard anything. But where I work there is a large conveyor system and it's VERY loud and there's a certain amount of continuous vibration from that. We didn't even know anything about it until 6:30 when the dayshift came in and they were asking us if we were aware of it.

Of course, I explained to them that I am always moving so fast that there's always a mini-quake around me, so that might explain why I didn't feel it.

HEY! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Tee Hee!!

Waiting patiently for the hubby to wake up to ask him if the dogs went nutz in the middle of the night. I figure they most likely were aware of it and may have made a fuss. Animals are always more in tune to those kind of things that we are.

~TCO~

My DH works in Bloomington, IL third shift and I called him this morning and he said they didn't feel a thing either. When I got to work here at the hospital this morning though the people who worked third said they all felt it and went running outside thinking there was some explosion.

There was damage to the facade of an older building causing that street to be closed. I heard there is also a water main break somewhere downtown. And right before I got on the computer they were saying that an overpass on the Gene Snyder freeway has cracks in it. Apparently there were several people who drive that part of the Snyder every day noticed the cracks and called to report them. Someone from the state is there now checking it out. I am so nervous because my DH drives over the Ohio river everyday to get to work (he works in Jeffersonville, IN) and I know they are saying the bridges are safe but I'm still worried.

Wow, I hadn't heard that ... I drive the Gene Snyder to work every day!

Wow, I hadn't heard that ... I drive the Gene Snyder to work every day!

Ahhh... Be very careful then. I didn't catch what overpass it was and they first mentioned it was being checked around 8:35 or so (I called DH to tell him to fly like a bat out of hell when he leaves work today). Right now the girls are watching cartoons but I'll try to check in with the local news soon and see if they are saying anything else about it.

Quite a few people in west Michigan felt it too.

I do think my cats knew something was up. Since we've gotten the second cat about a month ago, our older cat Hobbes hasn't scratched on the door in the middle of the night at all. And even when he was doing it before, if I hollered no at him, he would usually stop. About a half-hour before the quake, one of them was pawing at the door hard and wouldn't stop. We finally let them in. That's why at first, I thought they were making the bed shake.

I grew up in LA. Pets are great quake predictors. I also believe in a phenom in California called earthquake weather. Unusually warm and the air is very still and quiet. Out of curiosity, what was the weather like there last night and this morning?

I grew up and LA. Pets are great quake predictors. I also believe in a phenom in California called earthquake weather. Unusually warm and the air is very still and quiet. Out of curiosity, what was the weather like there last night and this morning?
Warm and nice!!

Warm and nice!!

Yes it was and it was suppose to T-storm yesterday and they kept saying where is the rain on the radio and it never came, wierd. My dog was barking all over the house. He knew something was up, he just didn't know what.

Yes it was and it was suppose to T-storm yesterday and they kept saying where is the rain on the radio and it never came, wierd. My dog was barking all over the house. He knew something was up, he just didn't know what.
My older dog, when something is wrong will hide under my desk. He was still there this morning at 8, poor thing

Yeah, my cat kept getting spooked and tearing around the apartment all morning after the quake!

Thanks guys. I always like to compare notes on different quakes to see if there are similarities.

Indy, I hope your poor dog comes out from hiding soon. And I am glad everyone is alright.

Thanks guys. I always like to compare notes on different quakes to see if there are similarities.

Indy, I hope your poor dog comes out from hiding soon. And I am glad everyone is alright.
Thanks he seems to be over it now. Man that was mine and Jens first quake ever. So cool. Not cool to those who was injured or suffered damage. I just love stroms and things. I never thought I would ever feel one.

Wow, it sure feels strange for someone here in the S.F. Bay Area wishing you all well in a good size quake earthquake in Illinois!

It's usually the other way around!

Thanks he seems to be over it now. Man that was mine and Jens first quake ever. So cool. Not cool to those who was injured or suffered damage. I just love stroms and things. I never thought I would ever feel one.

Then you will be happy to hear that this could have been a mere precurser to the actual quake. Then there is the aftershock factor. lol.

I'm sure locally authorities are putting out an earthquake FYI this morning. But if they haven't, stay inside your building during a quake and head to a doorway or under a sturdy piece of furniture. There are alot of hazards outside, falling facades, trees, swamp coolers falling off roofs, and bouncing cars. They can bounce a good distance. And strap down your water heaters. Falling and tipping water heaters are the number one cause of gas leaks after a quake and the resulting fires cause more damage than quakes themselves. Keep a big wrench handy to be able to shut off the main gas and water lines.

ETA: always try to keep shoes, flip flops or slippers by your bed. Most earthquake injuries are the result of people running through broken glass during and after a quake.

Glad everyone is safe.But a 5.4 here in the Bay area is considered a Baby. Now if only the Bay area can get some of your T-storms. I will then consider it a fair trade.:crazy:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back