5.4 Earthquake rocks Illinois

Just to be clear I am not arguing the fact that it was felt there. I have read just about everything I can today. I just think it is so weird it got to Kansas first is all.It is weird how many ppl felt one EQ though.

I cannot belive it reached ATL, Ga....
dang, I knew aftershocks could travel, but THAT far? :eek:
I'm clueless, I guess.

Nevermind i found it! It was on the 46th page!
I see you found it, but even if you hadn't it will only show up if someone takes the time to report it. I always register it when I feel an earthquake. Looks like some of the acitivty in KS was a level III

My older dog, when something is wrong will hide under my desk. He was still there this morning at 8, poor thing

I dunno there must be something wrong with our 2 dogs...lol. This morning they slept through everything.:) Big help they would be in an emergency. lol.
Hey Indy, how are you feeling...not much longer till the little one arrives. Can't wait.
Deb

I dunno there must be something wrong with our 2 dogs...lol. This morning they slept through everything.:) Big help they would be in an emergency. lol.
Hey Indy, how are you feeling...not much longer till the little one arrives. Can't wait.
Deb
Heya Fellow hoosier!!:blowkiss: Feeling as best I can at 8 months, thanks for asking. My other dog did nothing too. My older dog just has problems with loud noises

Makes me a little bit leary about all the talk of the "big one" being in California. Is it just me?!

:woohoo: Hey there Indy, glad you explained about your older dog that has problems with loud noises...I just thought that our dogs were not quite up to par....lol...
Oh yes, I can remember 8 months so very well. Not much longer to go girl. Bet you are excited and I am so very excited for you! I know you are taking good care of yourself. Just think not much longer and you will be holding that bundle of joy in your arms.
Take care my friend. :blowkiss:
Heya Fellow hoosier!!:blowkiss: Feeling as best I can at 8 months, thanks for asking. My other dog did nothing too. My older dog just has problems with loud noises

Makes me a little bit leary about all the talk of the "big one" being in California. Is it just me?!
why? Just because they say there is a 99% chance of the big one in the next 30 years?

California Has More Than 99% Chance Of A Big Earthquake WIthin 30 Years, Report Shows

ScienceDaily (Apr. 15, 2008) — California has more than a 99% chance of having a magnitude 6.7 or larger earthquake within the next 30 years, according scientists using a new model to determine the probability of big quakes

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080414203459.htm

Was this along the lines of the new madrid fault zone? Im assuming it was, if it was I hope this isnt a precursor since I have heard a bad one is suppose to hit there eventually. My mom was calling my family members in Illinois and Missouri yesterday to see how everyone is doing.

Was this along the lines of the new madrid fault zone? Im assuming it was, if it was I hope this isnt a precursor since I have heard a bad one is suppose to hit there eventually. My mom was calling my family members in Illinois and Missouri yesterday to see how everyone is doing.

Yes, it is in the New Madrid earthquake zone. I remember hearing my step-father who grew up in the northwest corner of Tennessee talk about the history of the area as related to quakes. The one in 1812 was one of the worst earthquakes to ever hit our country. It formed a new lake and there were reports that the Mississippi River ran backwards for a moment. I looked it up yesterday and was surprised to see that someone had already posted the information about the one yesterday. They were fast. My daughter in Tennessee had just gotten in from work yesterday and was on her computer when her house started shaking. It frightened her but she was excited when she called me because she had never felt an earthquake before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_earthquake

Here is an article I found this morning.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351771,00.html

I'm sure locally authorities are putting out an earthquake FYI this morning. But if they haven't, stay inside your building during a quake and head to a doorway or under a sturdy piece of furniture. There are alot of hazards outside, falling facades, trees, swamp coolers falling off roofs, and bouncing cars. They can bounce a good distance. And strap down your water heaters. Falling and tipping water heaters are the number one cause of gas leaks after a quake and the resulting fires cause more damage than quakes themselves. Keep a big wrench handy to be able to shut off the main gas and water lines.

ETA: always try to keep shoes, flip flops or slippers by your bed. Most earthquake injuries are the result of people running through broken glass during and after a quake.

I just saw this and I think it was really sweet of you to advise 'us' about keeping sage. :blowkiss: Thank you!

I just saw this and I think it was really sweet of you to advise 'us' about keeping sage. :blowkiss: Thank you!

Hey Brefie, we had a few people in the ER yesterday that got hit in the head with things that fell off there walls but nothing serious. I have a picture hanging above my bed that I am going to move somewhere else. I never thought about it because we don't have earthquakes in IL. I'm headin up your way today to Palos Hills then tomorrow going to take the kids to Schedd's Aquarium as DS has a report on sting rays.

Thanks Annie

Its scary to think of big earthquakes in that area since they are so ill-equipped for it. It has too much potential for major destruction. Im so glad there are no serious injuries or deaths reported yet.

I live in Louisville Ky, and we felt it here too. I was sound asleep ... my fiance woke me up at 5:30 this morning, the exchange went something like this:

him: honey, I think we just had an earthquake.
me: I think you just had a dream.
him: no, I'm not talking in my sleep ... I think we really just had an earthquake!

I had to turn on the news before I believed him. I swear, I could sleep through the apocalypse!

We live in southern KY, and SOMETHING woke me up too. I wasn't even sure what it was, but I woke up around 5:40. Rolled back over and went to sleep. Didn't think of it again until the morning news.

You are welcome. I learned most of what I know from my parents who grew up in Missouri! My first major quake was in 1971

http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/cgi...ary 1971|San Fernando|Earthquake|1971;start=0

I was 13 and my parents managed an apartment building that had a swimming pool in the center. I remember my dad opening the front door during the quake to keep the door from jamming shut and the swimming pool half emptying into our apartment. I can still remember that wave of water. There was no water, electricity or phones for days. It may have even been a week. Unbeknownst to our family in the area, the national news kept showing a picture of a pick up that was flattened by an overpass that killed two men. It was identical to my dads truck and exactly where he would have been driving to work had he not changed shifts a week before. So all of our family out of state had gotten together to prepare for the fact that my dad was killed in the quake. It was days later that they finally learned he was ok.

Magnitude-4.5 aftershock reported from Midwest earthquake

WEST SALEM, Ill. (AP) — A strong aftershock shook Southern Illinois on Monday, three days after a magnitude 5.2 quake rattled the region.
Geologists say the temblor just before 12:40 a.m. registered 4.5 magnitude at its epicenter about 5 miles northwest of Mount Carmel. The location is in the same area as Friday's early morning earthquake, which shook a wide area of the Midwest and caused minor damage

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gWp0O4DbwdCYSUPWYlnQ1t091HswD90693202

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back