7.0 Earthquake Hits Haiti Hospital Collapses

I can just imagine the terror and helplessness of people who cannot find their loved ones in the rubble.

The whole place, from the pictures I've seen, looks like a war zone. Incredible.

To be going about your life one moment, and with no warning whatsoever, to be right in the midst of complete chaos and total devastation.

My continued prayers for the people of Haiti....

And I must add, the people of Haiti have been struggling for so long with substandard conditions (ie' housing, food, healthcare, etc) yet they are rich in their customs and family. To have this happen is just devistating. We take so much for granted in life.

I was there when I was 5, it was a live effecting experience. Children in dirty clothes comming up to me at the port feeling my dress and trying to take the bows from my hair. I took them out myself and gave them to 2 beautiful little girls. I remember the look on their face and then they hugged me. My mother was angry that I had given the bows away. My mother....who only wanted the best things in life that died at 47 and as they say you cant take it with you.

What do I give money every year to Habitat for Humanity for????? So people continue to live in homes made of cement where the thousand pound cement roofs just collapse upon those poor people! Also, where does all the feed the children and send a third world child to school millions that people donate go? Seeing the pictures of even before the earthquake, I cannot see that it has helped the people of Haiti.

I am bitter this morning that we spend so much on war, and prisons, and cosmetic surgery, hot tubs on our lanais, vacations to these countries and expect great service and accomodations, etc, etc ,etc, while people dont have indoor plumbing much less a "real" house and they have probably never had a ribeye steak with all the trimmings.

I cry for the people of Haiti, for their poverty sticken communities and now for the loss of lives that never had starbucks and all the cruises I have been on.

I have said my peace.

BTW, where are those 2 little girls? they where 2 or 3 years older then me. They would be 45-46 now, mothers, grandmothers. I am distraught to think they are among the victims of the rubble.

This devasation is absolutely stunning. I dread what the death toll will be fron this. Prayers for all affected, however trite that sounds.

Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie Reach Out to Haiti Earthquake Victims

USMagazine, January 13, 2010
Related: News, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have pledged their support to victims of the massive earthquake that struck the island of Haiti on Tuesday.
RELATED: Click here to donate to the Haitian earthquake relief effort In a statement, the couple said, "We are devastated by the news from Haiti. We will work closely with our good friend Wyclef Jean to support the humanitarian efforts on the island and help those who have been injured and left without homes and shelter." Jolie, 34,​
Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie Reach Out to Haiti Earthquake Victims

USMagazine, January 13, 2010 Related: News, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have pledged their support to victims of the massive earthquake that struck the island of Haiti on Tuesday.
RELATED: Click here to donate to the Haitian earthquake relief effort
In a statement, the couple said, "We are devastated by the news from Haiti. We will work closely with our good friend Wyclef Jean to support the humanitarian efforts on the island and help those who have been injured and left without homes and shelter." Jolie, 34, has served as a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations since 2001.​

Hundreds of thousands dead in Haiti quake, PM says

Port-au-Prince, Haiti (CNN) -- Hundreds of thousands of people have died in Haiti's earthquake, the prime minister told CNN Wednesday.

Haitian authorities said the powerful quake destroyed most of the capital city of Port-au-Prince.

A top envoy called it a "major catastrophe."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/13/haiti.earthquake/index.html

Hundreds of thousands dead in Haiti quake, PM says

Port-au-Prince, Haiti (CNN) -- Hundreds of thousands of people have died in Haiti's earthquake, the prime minister told CNN Wednesday.

Haitian authorities said the powerful quake destroyed most of the capital city of Port-au-Prince.

A top envoy called it a "major catastrophe."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/13/haiti.earthquake/index.html

Dear God. This is so horrible. I feel so badly for all of them and I have no idea how they'll be able to recover from this. Bless them all.

What an absolute catastrophe. :(
Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, which just compounds this incomprehensible tragedy...
How they will even begin to heal and recover is beyond me.

If you can give $5, text the word YELE to 501501.
If you can give $10, text HAITI to 90999.
It's billed to your phone.

From the link posted by Quiche:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Am counting 26 quakes (after shocks probably) for today alone in the region of Haiti. There are probably more as I counted them quickly.

May the affluent countries of the world get assistance to Haiti as quickly as possible. The devastation is horrific.

BBM

This is when we all need to step up. Anyone who has the means to help, should. Even if you donate $5, it's something (not YOU personally, I'm speaking generally :) ).

According to CNN, the "quake knocked down the penitentiary and the inmates escaped".

Did everyone see the pictures of their capital building?

It is just so hard to grasp the sheer magnitude of the destruction. As bad as it looks in pictures, it is said to be millions of times worse.

Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, which just compounds this incomprehensible tragedy...

It's billed to your phone.[/quote]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you so much for this information!
I don't have much money, but I can certainly spare $10 to help these people.
I just wish it could be more.

(this is a snip from somthing that came in my e-mail today)
<<snip>>
This is also a time when we are reminded of the common humanity that we all share, and Americans have always responded to these situations with generosity of spirit. If you would like to support the urgent humanitarian effort in Haiti, I encourage you to visit our website where you can learn more about how to contribute:

http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/HaitiEarthquake

Americans trying to locate family members in Haiti are encouraged to contact:
the State Department at (888) 407-4747.

We will continue to stand with the people of Haiti and keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

From songline:
PS: IMHO this is one of the most corrupt countries and it would be a good idea to send money through the White House. Unless you have a better idea please beware...there will be corruption...the GOAL is to help these folks.

This is not from that e-mail:

Canadians with family in Haiti can call the Foreign Affairs Emergency Operations Centre in Ottawa at 800-387-3124, 613-943-1055, or email sos@international.gc.ca. Canadians in Haiti can get in touch with Canadian Embassy officials in Port-au-Prince by calling 613-996-8885.

It's billed to your phone.

Thanks for that. I'm wondering how to know where is the best place to donate money?? (that sentence was horribly grammatically incorrect) I saw a huge long list on CNN but I never know which place will take my money and make the most use out of it?? I don't want only 10% of my donation going to the actual relief fund whereas the other 90% goes to who-knows-where.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back