7.0 Earthquake Hits Haiti Hospital Collapses

Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie Reach Out to Haiti Earthquake Victims

USMagazine, January 13, 2010
Related: News, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have pledged their support to victims of the massive earthquake that struck the island of Haiti on Tuesday.
RELATED: Click here to donate to the Haitian earthquake relief effort
In a statement, the couple said, "We are devastated by the news from Haiti. We will work closely with our good friend Wyclef Jean to support the humanitarian efforts on the island and help those who have been injured and left without homes and shelter." Jolie, 34,​

USMagazine, January 13, 2010 Related: News, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have pledged their support to victims of the massive earthquake that struck the island of Haiti on Tuesday.
In a statement, the couple said, "We are devastated by the news from Haiti. We will work closely with our good friend Wyclef Jean to support the humanitarian efforts on the island and help those who have been injured and left without homes and shelter." Jolie, 34, has served as a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations since 2001.​

LINKS for donations on your post are not found: But I am so smiling at Brad and Angie....:)

so this is the one I have for the white house:
http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/HaitiEarthquake

During 9/11 I spent many months at the red cross and this is what I DID learn.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Mark your checks - Donation for Haitian Earthquake.
Because if you don't they may see it fit to use in other ways.
The red cross does that for sure, Unless you write on the check exactly what you want to donate it for.

Right now, they need water and they need gasoline for their compressors.

after we give them money, how long will it be before they start talking bad about us and state how they hate us?

It happens all the time.....I think our own country needs our money...I won't be sending any money to them...

I give to charities in OUR country. For American children.

I feel sorry for Haiti...but they will turn on us in the future....mark my words.

USMagazine, January 13, 2010
Related: News, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt
In a statement, the couple said, "We are devastated by the news from Haiti. We will work closely with our good friend Wyclef Jean to support the humanitarian efforts on the island and help those who have been injured and left without homes and shelter." Jolie, 34,​

USMagazine, January 13, 2010 Related: News, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt

In a statement, the couple said, "We are devastated by the news from Haiti. We will work closely with our good friend Wyclef Jean to support the humanitarian efforts on the island and help those who have been injured and left without homes and shelter." Jolie, 34, has served as a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations since 2001.​

LINKS for donations on your post are not found: But I am so smiling at Brad and Angie....:)

so this is the one I have for the white house:
http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/HaitiEarthquake

During 9/11 I spent many months at the red cross and this is what I DID learn.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Mark your checks - Donation for Haitian Earthquake.
Because if you don't they may see it fit to use in other ways.
The red cross does that for sure, Unless you write on the check exactly what you want to donate it for.
Thank you songline and sorry about that. Try this link.
Click here to donate to the Haitian earthquake relief effort

after we give them money, how long will it be before they start talking bad about us and state how they hate us?

It happens all the time.....I think our own country needs our money...I won't be sending any money to them...

I feel sorry for Haiti...but they will turn on us in the future....mark my words.

A very sad perspective on the children of this world.

And then Americans wonder why other countries don't like us.....can't imagine.

They will turn on us with what - sticks and stones? They are a tiny, desperately poor country and have virtually no military. Not to mention they depend on the US for aid.

I posted this on the other thread on it: They will be getting assistance from Doctors Without Borders, which is an international group that travels to foreign countries...
I think Hillary Clinton promised military and other aide.
I have also been to Haiti on a cruise. They were very poor then, can't imagine how it will be now.:(

You can also make donations at the Clinton Foundation.

The people who have the least tend to have the most to lose. Just $5 will make a difference and help to supply water, basic med supplies, shelter and food.

<modsnip>

I posted this on the other thread on it: They will be getting assistance from Doctors Without Borders, which is an international group that travels to foreign countries...
I think Hillary Clinton promised military and other aide.

I just on CNN the Doctors without Borders station in Haiti has been destroyed too. They did not say what they were planning on doing in the meantime.

I just on CNN the Doctors without Borders station in Haiti has been destroyed too. They did not say what they were planning on doing in the meantime.
They are an international group that travels to other countries. I don't believe they are based in Haiti. I think my brother is a member...
According to this article- they are on the ground and have set up clinics: http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100113/cm_huffpost/421014

and other info about them:
None of the three aid centers in Haiti run by Medecins Sans Frontieres is operable, the group said Wednesday.
The group is focusing on re-establishing surgical capacity so it can deal with crushed limbs and head wounds, said Paul McPhun, an emergency management expert for the organization, also known as Doctors Without Borders.
The aid agency has about 800 staff in the country, not all of whom have been accounted for, it said.
It has a mobile hospital with 100 beds and two operating theaters ready to go, but is not sure how to get it in place, McPhun said.
"The problem is not the materials or the staff, but how to get it into place. The challenge is how to get our people and our resources into Port-au-Prince," he said in a teleconference from Toronto, Canada. http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/13/haiti.aid.response/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100113/cm_huffpost/421014
•The American Red Cross is pledging an initial $200,000 to assist communities impacted by this earthquake. They expect to provide immediate needs for food, water, temporary shelter, medical services and emotional support. They are accepting donations through their International Response Fund.
•UNICEF has issued a statement that "Children are always the most vulnerable population in any natural disaster, and UNICEF is there for them." UNICEF requests donations for relief for children in Haiti via their Haiti Earthquake Fund. You can also call 1-800-4UNICEF.
•Donate through Wyclef Jean's foundation, Yele Haiti. Text "Yele" to 501501 and $5 will be charged to your phone bill and given to relief projects through the organization.
•Operation USA is appealing for donations of funds from the public and corporate donations in bulk of health care materials, water purification supplies and food supplements which it will ship to the region from its base in the Port of Los Angeles. Donate online at www.opusa.org, by phone at 1-800-678-7255 or, by check made out to Operation USA, 3617 Hayden Ave, Suite A, Culver City, CA 90232.
•Save The Children has launched an emergency relief effort for Haiti. Donate to their fund to provide medical attention and clean water to children and families.
•International Medical Corps is assembling a team of first responders and resources to provide lifesaving medical care and other emergency services to survivors of the earthquake. The IMC previously helped recovery efforts after September 2009's earthquake in Sumatra, Indonesia, and the massive 2005 earthquake in Pakistan. Donate to the International Medical Corps through their 24-hour hotline at 800-481-4462
•Ben Stiller's Stillerstrong campaign will be temporarily diverting all donations to support the Haiti relief effort.
•Partners In Health reports its Port-au-Prince clinical director , Louise Ivers, has appealed for assistance: "Port-au-Prince is devastated, lot of deaths. SOS. SOS... Temporary field hospital by us at UNDP needs supplies, pain meds, bandages. Please help us." Donate to their Haiti earthquake fund.
•Mercy Corps is sending a team of emergency responders to assess damage, and seek to fulfill immediate needs of quake survivors. The agency aided families after earthquakes in Peru in 2007, China and Pakistan in 2008, and Indonesia last year. Donate online, call 1-888-256-1900 or send checks to Mercy Corps Haiti Earthquake Fund; Dept NR; PO Box 2669; Portland, OR 97208.
•Doctors Without Borders is on the ground and has set up clinics to treat injured in Haiti. Donate any amount so they can keep their efforts going.
•Direct Relief is committing up to $1 million in aid for the response and is coordinating with its other in-country partners and colleague organizations. Their partners in Haiti include Partners in Health, St. Damien Children's Hospital, and the Visitation Hospital, which are particularly active in emergency response. Donate to Direct Relief online.
•Oxfam is rushing in teams from around the region to respond to the situation to provide clean water, shelter, sanitation and help people recover. Donate to Oxfam America online.
•The UN World Food Programme is gathering all available resources to deliver food to the recently homeless and impoverished in Haiti. Baptist Haiti Mission is operating an 82-bed hospital that is "overflowing with injured." Donate online to BHM and 100% of your donation will go to the relief effort.
•Orphans International America reports that they have been able to make contact with their program director in the town of Jacmel, a city about 20 miles southwest of Port-au-Prince that houses OI's hospitals and schools. Orphans International America is attempting to gather food, clean water and emergency medical supplies to Jacmel. You can contribute to them through Earthquake Haiti, Haiti, Haiti Aid, Haiti Charity, Haiti Disaster Relief, Haiti Earthquake, Haiti Earthquake Relief, Haiti Emergency Services, Haiti Relief, Haiti Relief Efforts, Haitian Earthquake Relief, Help Haiti, Help Haiti Earthquake, Send Aid To Haiti, Send Love To Haiti
p-6fTutip1SMLM2.gif

January 13, 2010 -- Updated 2357 GMT (0757 HKT)
(CNN) -- Haiti's main airport appears to be operable, which should enable foreign aid to start flowing into the country in the wake of the earthquake that slammed the impoverished nation Tuesday.
<snip>
Many other countries have also offered assistance:
-- Brazil's Ministry of Defense ordered its U.N. troops in the country to offer whatever assistance they can, Brazil's official news agency reported.
-- China is preparing to send a 50-member rescue team, including three sniffer dogs, the official news agency Xinhua reported. China has 125 peacekeeping police in Haiti, Xinhua reported.
-- Spain is sending three planeloads of aid -- two from Panama in Central America and one from Madrid, the Spanish capital, CNN affiliate CNN+ reported. Spain is also making 3 million euros ($4.35 million) available for aid and will coordinate the European Union response.
-- France, Haiti's former colonial ruler, dispatched two planeloads of rescue personnel, one from Guadeloupe in the Caribbean and one from Marseilles, France.
-- Russia is sending a mobile hospital with a staff of 45, including 20 doctors, Emergency Situations Ministry spokeswoman Elena Chernova told CNN. The mobile hospital "has intensive therapy, surgery, diagnostics, ultra-sound, X-ray, electrocardiogram modules as well as a blood test laboratory," and can accommodate 50 patients at a time, Chernova said.
-- Cuba sent an additional 30 doctors, plus medical supplies, to join the 344 doctors and paramedics it already had working in Haiti on humanitarian missions, said Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez.
more at link: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/13/haiti.aid.response/
BBM.

This is truly horrible.As if these poor peoples' lives weren't so hard already. When will the suffering stop...

By Associated Press January 13, 2010 | 3:27 p.m.
BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) — The Walmart Foundation said Wednesday it will give $500,000 in cash and food kits worth $100,000 to help victims of the earthquake that hit Haiti on Tuesday.
<snip>
The Walmart Foundation said its donations will be given through the American Red Cross.

The foundation also launched a Web site at walmartstores.com/haiti, where customers and employees can donate to nonprofits that are helping Haitian victims of the natural disaster.

The philanthropic organization said that in September 2008 it donated more than $100,000 to relief efforts for Haitians who were hurt that summer by hurricanes Gustav and Ike, which killed hundreds of people. more at link: http://www.latimes.com/business/nat...rt-foundation-haiti-earthquake,0,132398.story

They are an international group that travels to other countries. I don't believe they are based in Haiti. I think my brother is a member...
According to this article- they are on the ground and have set up clinics: http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100113/cm_huffpost/421014

I didn't mean they were based there; I meant (according to the news) they had a permanent establishment there because the needs were so high.

That is awesome your brother is a member! They do wonderful work.

CNN just interviewed the president of Haiti. He was at the airport where the homeless are gathering because he is homeless too. He said he can't go to his home or the presidential palace. I guess they do not have a plan in place or if they did it did not account for basically the entire city being razed.

It heart-warming to see the whole world come together to help the Haitian people with all the different countries putting differences aside and working together for one cause.

It heart-warming to see the whole world come together to help the Haitian people with all the different countries putting differences aside and work together for one cause.

Yes,all as members of the human race not as any race/religon/creed etc. I am so glad that there are people out there who care so much they are willing to help those who need help no matter what country they live in.

God bless all of you that are helping or even those that cant but hold the people of haiti in their hearts.

Last update - 02:25 14/01/2010
0.gif
0.gif
0.gif
By Barak Ravid, Haaretz Correspondent, Haaretz Service and Agencies
Haitians piled bodies along the streets of their capital Wednesday after the strongest earthquake to hit the poor Caribbean nation in more than 200 years crushed thousands of structures, from schools and shacks to the National Palace and the United Nations peacekeeping headquarters. Untold numbers were still trapped. Officials said thousands of people were dead.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry on Wednesday prepared a rescue team for departure to the disaster-stricken country, saying later that though two Israelis initially regarded as missing had been located, eight Israelis remained unaccounted for in Haiti, among them the daughter of late Israeli peace activist Abie Nathan. The rescue team includes elite army corps engineers and medical corps ready to deploy field hospital, the Israeli consulate in New York reported.

Haitian President Rene Preval said he believed thousands were killed in the quake, and the scope of the destruction prompted other officials to give even higher estimates. Leading Sen. Youri Latortue told The Associated Press that 500,000 could be dead, although he acknowledged that nobody really knows.
0.gif
Advertisement

"Parliament has collapsed. The tax office has collapsed. Schools have collapsed. Hospitals have collapsed," Preval told the Miami Herald. "There are a lot of schools that have a lot of dead people in them."

"Even the main prison in the capital fell down, and there are reports of escaped inmates," United Nations humanitarian spokeswoman Elisabeth Byrs said in Geneva.

The head of the UN peacekeeping mission was missing and the Roman Catholic archbishop of Port-au-Prince was dead. more at link: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1142598.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back