9 Dec 2010 - Reports: Elizabeth confessed a second time to killing Gabriel

Transcript last night regarding Gabriel from Nancy Grace:

Everybody, we want to take you right now to the great state of Arizona. When I`ve heard about the development in this case, I couldn`t believe it. Take a listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: Did baby Gabriel`s mom Elizabeth Johnson allegedly confess to killing her baby?

KPHO reporting a source close to the investigation tells them that Johnson confessed during what`s being described as an unauthorized meeting between Johnson and a San Antonio police detective.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And it`s a very real possibility that Elizabeth killed Gabriel.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: Allegedly told her ex-boyfriend she killed the child.

LOGAN MCQUEARY, BABY GABRIEL`S FATHER: She put it in the text that I killed him.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: That she killed him?

MCQUEARY: Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: Now reports the alleged confession will never see the inside of a courtroom. Why?

MCQUEARY: Once you betray her trust or she thinks you did, she will not talk to you, won`t do anything for you, never -- you know, it`s just how she is.

(END OF VIDEO CLIP)

CASAREZ: All right. Let us go straight out to Phoenix, Arizona, Mike Sakal. He is a reporter with the "East Valley Tribune."

Mike, the last thing I remember on this story was Elizabeth Johnson had said that she had given baby Gabriel away to another family, another couple in San Antonio, somebody she met at a park.

Well, now we have developments. Start out with a San Antonio detective, goes to Arizona and actually talks with her in a room and she confesses?

MIKE SAKAL, REPORTER, EAST VALLEY TRIBUNE: Correct. This interview happened in May when detective Jesus Salome flew into Arizona, got into the Maricopa County and straight to jail. And he apparently interviewed Elizabeth for a number of hours without her legal counsel present when she was reportedly on medication. And that is when they are saying --

CASAREZ: But Mike, that`s OK. If she waived her rights, she can talk. It`s free, it`s voluntary. But what`s the issue here?

SAKAL: The issue -- well, her former attorneys are claiming, contending that her Sixth Amendment rights were violated because her legal counsel was not present. And the detective in San Antonio contends, while this didn`t have anything to do with the case in Arizona, and now Elizabeth`s new attorney has been granted a motion by a Maricopa County judge for him.

A judge signed an out-of-state subpoena to try to get Detective Salome into Arizona to testify. However this could create a legal quagmire in the case because --

CASAREZ: Mike.

SAKAL: Sure.

CASAREZ: Mike, did she confess to killing baby Gabriel?

SAKAL: According to what other media reports understand and the McQueary family, they understand that Elizabeth has said that --

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

MCQUEARY: She`s very, very stubborn. Very secretive. She -- you know, it`s hard to get anything out of her. I`m just hoping, you know, she`ll have a change of mind and change of heart, and just tell somebody exactly what happened.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: Breaking news. KPHO reporting that baby Gabriel`s mom Elizabeth Johnson allegedly confessed to a San Antonio police detective that she killed baby Gabriel.

(END OF VIDEO CLIP)

CASAREZ: Elizabeth Johnson takes baby Gabriel from Arizona to San Antonio. She is in a San Antonio motel. She tells everybody she gives the baby to a couple she meets at a San Antonio park. She then goes on her way from San Antonio. Now she`s charged with kidnapping.

To Mike Sakal, reporter our of Phoenix, Arizona, tonight, the "East Valley Tribune." What I was asking you when we went to break, we know a San Antonio detective went to Arizona, he spoke with her for hours.

Did she confess to killing baby Gabriel?

SAKAL: Yes. According to media reports and KPHO, as well as the McQueary family, they understand that Elizabeth has said -- once again, for the second time that she has killed her son. The details of her confession have not been revealed. But we may learn more in January. If not sooner.

CASAREZ: All right. To Eleanor Odom. Felony prosecutor Eleanor Odom out of Atlanta, Georgia. This confession, prosecution is saying, they don`t think they can use it because that she may have been incompetent, that she was on medication, could not have voluntarily waived her rights.

Further more, the defense is saying that there was an inappropriate touching from the San Antonio detective. How can this confession be saved?

E. ODOM: I don`t know that it can be saved because she was not Mirandized most importantly. But here`s one way it might be saved. She also allegedly confessed to the baby`s father so they could use that confession.

CASAREZ: All right.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1012/09/ng.01.html

Didn't they search the landfill and come up with nothing?
I still think (or maybe just want to believe) that she gave him away and is terrified of the other people involved.

Remember, she drove to Victoria, she could have disposed of him out there.
nobody knows which dumpster she went to.

Why would she be terrified of other people involved? She's in Jail, they can't hurt her.

I think she did exactly what she told Logan she did.

Almost a year later and "Mystery Couple" have yet to be identified.

Such sad news. The way she carried on and led everyone on.. I had really hoped it was out there. As time went on, I think it became pretty clear he was no longer with us. Shame they can't use the info

They still have the text message she sent Logan. Hopefully, they can use that.

I bet once they charge her with First Degree Murder and the DP (Texas is one state you DO NOT mess around with when it comes to the DP).

I bet she'll really start talking. If they do charge her with 1st degree murder (and I very likely think this will happen). I can see her doing a plea deal.

Remember, she drove to Victoria, she could have disposed of him out there.
nobody knows which dumpster she went to.

Why would she be terrified of other people involved? She's in Jail, they can't hurt her.

I think she did exactly what she told Logan she did.

Almost a year later and "Mystery Couple" have yet to be identified.

I do remember.

I don't know why she would be terrified of others involved. I was just throwing out thoughts.

I have thought and thought about this interview with the detective and what EJ knows about the laws. She okayed the interview and in my opinion, she knew that the Det could be violating her 6th Amendment Rights. SHe knows the system well and most likely she knew nothing in that interview could be used against her. Therefore, saying again that she killed G would make the public not look for him. She know the text she sent to Logan can be used against her. She is good at playing poker face and someone needs to beat her at her own game. JMHO Cause seriously, the evidence from TS shows EJ and she were talking after she sent LM the text. SHe would have 1 hr to dispose of kill, dispose of G without getting caught in a place that she is not familiar with. It just does not seem possible on because wherever G was handed off, it happened between 10am and 11am. Broad daylight? Don't think so.ive

Another thing that sticks out for hand off is the fact that the car seat was strewn into the car. That tells me she took the car seat out to give it to the couple, but they had brought their own. If someone brings their own, and similar size to the TS has, they were looking at keeping this child for awhile. WHO TOLD THEM WHAT SIZE TO GET??? I have a good idea!!

i knew all along EJ was a crazy liar that killed her baby. I am shocked she confessed, but she should at least be decent and tell where she put the body. If she didnt want the baby why not just give him back to the father. Lord have mercy... My baby is almost 8 months now. I cant even imagine how u can hurt a child. I cant even go there.

I still believe he is alive. Why would she go through all the motions she went through just to off him in San Antonio of all places. No way did she just magically end up there, pay someone to babysit and eat pizza with someone. She was there for a few days as well not just one night. She kept in contact with the people whom she originally was going to give him to even though she knew he wasn't going to them either because she killed him or she gave him to someone else. She most likely stayed in contact with them because they helped her arrange everything. Why else would she kept in touch with them. If her plan was to ditch the baby with strangers or kill him and then head off to Floridia then why bother with people she barely knew.

I still believe he is alive. Why would she go through all the motions she went through just to off him in San Antonio of all places. No way did she just magically end up there, pay someone to babysit and eat pizza with someone. She was there for a few days as well not just one night. She kept in contact with the people whom she originally was going to give him to even though she knew he wasn't going to them either because she killed him or she gave him to someone else. She most likely stayed in contact with them because they helped her arrange everything. Why else would she kept in touch with them. If her plan was to ditch the baby with strangers or kill him and then head off to Floridia then why bother with people she barely knew.

I don't believe there ever was a mystery couple. I believe that the supposed "Couple" was Tammi & Jack Smith all along.

I would believe Gabriel is still alive except for a couple of things:

1. No Witnesses have come forward
2. I doubt EJ is going to sit in jail all this time just to protect this "mystery" couple; she's doing it to save her own butt.
3. EJ has shown that she is VERY capable of violence
4. EJ's hatred of Gabriel
5. EJ's Hatred of Logan

I have always felt too that Gabriel is no longer with us, and with this second confession, it only confirms what a lot of us believed. Of course, there are those that hold out hope, then everyone is entitle to their opinion. I always felt the scenario of parental kidnapping, all the rage and anger against Logan, and EJ's deeply troubled state of mind all contributed to the unspeakable act she must have committed against the poor defenseless baby. As we now face a new case, the missing Skelton boys, I feel the same dynamics are at work. The parent is seeking revenge against the other parent by killing the child. (this time 3 children instead of 1) So incredibly sad to see these cases on the news, but I felt from day one that this was the case in Gabe's case, especially hearing her confession and spite in the text messages. Hopefully Det. Salame could give more info and clues so that they could try to bring him (Gabriel) home for a proper buriel. No other scenarios add up him being alive- no sightings, E not saying where he is, her first confession to Logan, her state of mind. So sad....

I don't believe there ever was a mystery couple. I believe that the supposed "Couple" was Tammi & Jack Smith all along.

I would believe Gabriel is still alive except for a couple of things:

1. No Witnesses have come forward
2. I doubt EJ is going to sit in jail all this time just to protect this "mystery" couple; she's doing it to save her own butt.
3. EJ has shown that she is VERY capable of violence
4. EJ's hatred of Gabriel
5. EJ's Hatred of Logan

Good list, and I'll add one more VITAL one to the list, which is MY OPINION ONLY and not a diagnosis:

6. EJ has a mental illness marked by extreme lack of empathy for anyone, including her own child, and also marked by episodic rages beyond control.

Having worked with young women sadly impaired in this way, I have always leaned towards believing she did kill sweet precious Gabriel in either a mad rage or deep depression, leaning toward mad rage. Her text to Logan was real. She realized quickly the written confession could end her own life, so she recanted. - - I wonder how the Smiths will feel if it is proven that she did murder her son and they helped push her to it? My opinion only, of course. :(

Good list, and I'll add one more VITAL one to the list, which is MY OPINION ONLY and not a diagnosis:

6. EJ has a mental illness marked by extreme lack of empathy for anyone, including her own child, and also marked by episodic rages beyond control.

Having worked with young women sadly impaired in this way, I have always leaned towards believing she did kill sweet precious Gabriel in either a mad rage or deep depression, leaning toward mad rage. Her text to Logan was real. She realized quickly the written confession could end her own life, so she recanted. - - I wonder how the Smiths will feel if it is proven that she did murder her son and they helped push her to it? My opinion only, of course. :(

Do you think they (EJ's lawyers) will go for the "Elizabeth was mentally insane when she drove to San Antonio" defense?

Do you think they (EJ's lawyers) will go for the "Elizabeth was mentally insane when she drove to San Antonio" defense?

I've given up trying to second-guess strategy, but I believe that bipolar, post-partum depression, and the multitude of personality disorders that have been raised regarding EJ do not qualify as insane. Knowing right from wrong, ya know. She DID recant rather quickly, and she WAS able to plot and scheme herself all the way to Florida, with booty to boot!

I think that the second "confession" might be another manipulation/red herring to divert LE or anyone looking for Gabriel. If everyone thinks he's deceased nobody's going to be loojing for a living child...

NEW YORK, Dec. 15, 2010
Baby Gabriel Mom Makes Possible Confession
In Taped Phone Calls, Voice Said to Be Elizabeth Johnson Tells Baby's Father She Suffocated Son, Put Him in Dumpster

Article: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/15/earlyshow/living/parenting/main7152004.shtml

Looks like you have to click the title on each of these videos to get them to play.

"Baby Gabriel" Case: A Closer Look
December 15, 2010 8:56 AM
TruTV's "In Session" correspondent, Beth Karas talks to Harry Smith about the "Baby Gabriel" case.

Video: [ame="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7152651n"]"Baby Gabriel" Case: A Closer Look - CBS News Video[/ame]

Possible "Baby Gabriel" Confession
In audio tapes acquired by CBS station KPHO, the mother of missing baby Gabriel allegedly confesses to killing him to get back at her boyfriend. Bill Whitaker reports.
11:46 AM EST 12/15/2010

Video: [ame="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7152078n"]Possible "Baby Gabriel" Confession - CBS News Video[/ame]

I'm not sure why if she planned on killing Gabriel...WHY she drove to san antonio tx, sold all her personal belongings to get down there, used a GPS/had directions written down, stated in a motel for several days, ordered 2 LARGE pizzas (too much pizza for one person..) and then left for florida later. It doesn't make sense. If she wanted to kill him why would she drive all the way there? And why did Tammi Smith give her the GPS? I'm leaning on hoping she did give him away, but at this point I have no idea!!

Also. how can anyone explain the babysitter that watched him at the hotel in San Antonio for a while while EJ went out with some random people? I think she was meeting the adoption people. She didn't know anone in San Antonio, but Tammi Smith did. The hotel that she stayed it is known to detectives as an underground adoption hotspot.

I'm not sure why if she planned on killing Gabriel...WHY she drove to san antonio tx, sold all her personal belongings to get down there, used a GPS/had directions written down, stated in a motel for several days, ordered 2 LARGE pizzas (too much pizza for one person..) and then left for florida later. It doesn't make sense. If she wanted to kill him why would she drive all the way there? And why did Tammi Smith give her the GPS? I'm leaning on hoping she did give him away, but at this point I have no idea!!

BBM. So far as I know, that's a Facebook/internet rumor.

Also. how can anyone explain the babysitter that watched him at the hotel in San Antonio for a while while EJ went out with some random people? I think she was meeting the adoption people. She didn't know anone in San Antonio, but Tammi Smith did. The hotel that she stayed it is known to detectives as an underground adoption hotspot.

BBM. So far as I know, that's a Facebook/internet rumor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back