About Caylee's Memorial toys for poor kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand from the interview I saw this morning, a compromise of sorts was reached and they are leaving all items from the memorial behind that have included a message for Caylee, and donating only the other items without a note to needy children at Christmas.

I am glad that at least a compromise was reached.

i'm torn on the subject. while i agree there are many families that need toys this xmas, i think it is too soon and really when it comes down to it, they are not their toys to donate.

they should have just stayed out of it. hell it would have been better for them to take a toy down there and place it among the rest.

I see how people would get upset about this. It is too soon to remove the items imo. And yes, they probably should've just stayed out of it. It really isn't their say. I am glad that the toys will go to needy children, rather than be thrown away. People are going to continue to bring toys to the site imo.

It seems to me, the will of the people who brought the items should rule, not the will of the Anthonys. If people wanted the toys to go to charity, they would have arranged for that to be done. Instead, for some reason that was important to them, they brought the items to the memorial site for Caylee, not for other children in this particular case. THEIR wishes should control, not the Anthonys'.

Please do not be upset but....

With the same reasoning, should it be the people that placed the toys complaining, not people on this board????

I think donating them is an excellent idea, if they had been there for more than a week! I personally see this as Cindy trying to regain some control.

I'm extremely torn about this particular issue. While I think it's very generous and noble that the Anthony's want to donate to children on behalf of Caylee and their family, I also feel that it's really not their place.

The people who have left toys at the site for Caylee obviously WANT those items to be there....right? What business do the Anthony's really have to remove all those things based on what they feel is appropriate? I just don't necessarily feel they are honoring the kindness of people who have given those items, if that makes any sense.

Honestly, if they want to make a difference in the life of children on bahlf of Caylee, why not have Brad Conway make a public statement to the effect of...
"Those who feel the desire to honor Caylee Marie, the Anthony's encourage you to please donate an item of clothing or a toy to the Salvation Army or Amway to help those less fortunate."
At least that would give people the CHOICE, and an alternative if they want one. But I think items placed at the site as memorial should be left there. Would you take flowers off a gravesite to reuse in some other way? eh, probably not.

And, not that my opinion matters, but the title of this thread..."poor kids" just bugs me. It's kindof, I don't know.....lacking tact? I think "Less Fortunate" might look better. JMOO.

From what I understand from the interview I saw this morning, a compromise of sorts was reached and they are leaving all items from the memorial behind that have included a message for Caylee, and donating only the other items without a note to needy children at Christmas.

Yes, I understood it that way too and I agree with them. It was a nice compromise, but of course, someone out there will still be unhappy about it and complain.

I feel the A's should leave them there. If someone wants to donate in Caylee's name then so be it. There was a family killed in the neighborhood where I work (a mom and her two kids) and there were tons of toys left at the site, but the grandparents waited until after the funerals/memorials for the toys to be given away.

Maybe the A's should wait until the memorial service before they snatch the things up to give away. that is my opinion anyway.

I can see how a lot of people would be offended by the A's wanting the memorials gone, but they aren't just throwing them in a dumpster (this time) or allowing them to rot to nothing in the outdoors. Think of the kids that don't have toys that drive past those memorials every day wondering why they have nothing and a little girl that cn't play with them has hundreds.
I think this is a healing step for everyone.

Actually, I don't think it is about wanting the memorials gone, as they said they would leave the balloons, cards, etc. All they are talking about is the toys.
I wouldn't care if they donated a toy I left, but to be honest, I wouldn't leave a toy in the first place. It just seems to me if you leave a toy, it would be classified as a gift, and since the A's are Caylee's family, I think they do have the right to do with the stuff what they want to. JMO.
Lanie

Until what? until they are loaded into the trash truck and dumped at the landfill? I guess I'm just not getting this huge display of toys for a child who never hold them.
That same $5. for a toy could have provided 5 lifesaving vaccines for children the same age that Caylee was when she went missing. $5 would buy shoes for a child in foster care.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I watched one woman wailing at the site about the fact that couldn't have children and not one hour later two little girls who have waited for an adoptive family were shown on TV in the hope that they could find a home.

Caylee is beyond suffering and she was gone before 99% of the people who are sobbing at the memorial site ever knew that she existed here on earth.
I can double darn guarantee that some of those sweet little ones laying down toys and flowers are at risk in their homes too.

Justice for Caylee will come but the real memorial to her life is making a positive choice to improve the lives of children who need us here.

With all due respect---someone who believes as you do shouldn't be forced to take toys to a memorial and should be allowed to adopt as many children as they qualify to adopt, but the wishes of people for whom it is meaningful to memorialize Caylee in this way should not be undone by the wishes of others who think they are smarter, kinder, wiser or more important. People are entitled to use their resources as THEY decide. If they want to make this display, that is their right and it should not be interfered with....whether someone else understands or agrees with their motivations or not.

I feel the A's should leave them there. If someone wants to donate in Caylee's name then so be it. There was a family killed in the neighborhood where I work (a mom and her two kids) and there were tons of toys left at the site, but the grandparents waited until after the funerals/memorials for the toys to be given away.

Maybe the A's should wait until the memorial service before they snatch the things up to give away. that is my opinion anyway.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but maybe the A's just wanted to make sure they were distributed in time for Christmas?

I think that giving the toys to needy children is the right thing to do.

I honestly don't understand why people are saying things such as 'those are for Caylee'. Caylee will not be able to play with these toys...ever. Caylee will not be able to read the notes...ever. These toys from strangers provide no source of comfort to the people who were left behind in the wake of this awful act done to Caylee. So, giving the toys to children who would love them is the appropriate thing. What would be inappropriate would be to let the toys sit and rot and be taken away to the dump. Which is what would happen.

In these days of economic hardship I would much rather see people donate their money or time to abused/neglected/abandoned children in honor of Caylee. Not leave toys that won't be enjoyed or notes that won't be read on a street where they don't live.

*steps off soapbox*

I think donating them is an excellent idea, if they had been there for more than a week! I personally see this as Cindy trying to regain some control.

ITA! coming from anyone else it would be a sweet gesture...but they way it was done and how they said that it is what Caylee would have wanted it was so obviously not honest. IMO, of course. another "right back at ya" at the protesters whom they associated with those against KC.

Actually, I don't think it is about wanting the memorials gone, as they said they would leave the balloons, cards, etc. All they are talking about is the toys.
I wouldn't care if they donated a toy I left, but to be honest, I wouldn't leave a toy in the first place. It just seems to me if you leave a toy, it would be classified as a gift, and since the A's are Caylee's family, I think they do have the right to do with the stuff what they want to. JMO.
Lanie

I agree with you. I don't get the concept of going out to buy a toy for a child who is dead. But that's just me. If a toy is donated to Caylee out on the side of the road, the A's should do as they see fit, send the toys to where they want and to whom.

I'm no fan of the A's, but I think some people are just looking for reasons to further crucify them. Enough.

If this was any other family besides the Anthony's most posters would say what a wonderful thing for them to do!
But it's the Anthony's... so the bashing continues.
It's sad.

That's just it. It's probably not the Anthony's, it's the advice of their counsel and/or new PR rep. I find it equally sad that their GD has to die for them to start listening to counsellors and advisors, or their own hearts.

I honestly don't understand why people are saying things such as 'those are for Caylee'. Caylee will not be able to play with these toys...ever. Caylee will not be able to read the notes...ever. These toys from strangers provide no source of comfort to the people who were left behind in the wake of this awful act done to Caylee. So, giving the toys to children who would love them is the appropriate thing. What would be inappropriate would be to let the toys sit and rot and be taken away to the dump. Which is what would happen.

In these days of economic hardship I would much rather see people donate their money or time to abused/neglected/abandoned children in honor of Caylee. Not leave toys that won't be enjoyed or notes that won't be read on a street where they don't live.

*steps off soapbox*

100% agree. Donating to abused children = a selfless act.

I just think it's totally wrong and am stunned at the arrogance of it. It seems like people are discounting the intentions of others as less important and less altruistic than their own. Just because I would give a stuffed animal to a living child rather than using it to memorialize a dead one doesn't give me the right to impose my will on others. The cemetaries are full of such memorials. Who is one person to overrule the memorial of another? I just don't think it should be done.

I know it's JMO, but I honestly think is is an agree to disagree issue that will stay that way. Assuming a decent motivation on the part of the A family, I can see that this might have been perceived as a nice gesture in Caylee's name that wasn't expected to be controversial. Maybe no one really distinguished going onto A property and someone else's in taking control of the toys and giving them elsewhere. On the other hand, it doesn't seem fair to paint the people who are opposed as people who condemn the family no matter what they do. Again, with all good motivations, a lot of people don't consider items left at a grave or memorial as things that are judged by a standard of "just rotting" or being put to practical use. They weren't really intended for Caylee's use, but as an expression by the person who left it. A lot of memorials suffer through the elements and are eventually removed, without serving another "useful" purpose. The people who feel this way don't want to deprive kids at Christmas.

*steps off soapbox*

Why do people bury things with their loved ones? Why do people put flowers by at the Cementary? why do people create memorials? It is a way of letting go of emotions and showing respect. these is how they chose to honor Caylee and this how they chose to spend their money. They didn't choose to buy the toys in Caylee's name to donate them to needy children. That's the point. Do I agree that there are better ways to honor Caylee? yes, probably. but that would be my choice on how I choose to do so. It is inappropriate to tell someone else that how they are choosing to honor Caylee is wasteful and that we know better so we will give those things to whomever we choose however we choose. Sorry, it was not the anthony's to touch or decide on.

The toys have already been given to other children.

http://www.wftv.com/news/18334836/detail.html

From the article but slightly unrelated:

""I hope the courts understand that she was a young mom and there are hard times," said Jennifer G.."

:bang:

I thought the rest of the article was lovely though, and I am happy that they children who benefited will have some joy this christmas.

Toys are ment to be played with not boxed away in an attic or rotting in the outside. My heart breaks for G & CA Christmas is going to be awful quiet this year, and that is hard.

I think they did the right thing, you can not keep everything.

The conflicting views here just show you, they are danged if they do or danged if they don't.

I kept my son's toys in the attic for over a year after he died, then looking at it, those toys are a link to him, I gave them to my children to play with. It is hard, I want to keep them all, but rotting away in our attic isn't honoring my son's memory it is letting my grief win. I am not sure my kids will want those toys when they are grown anyway, I feel that when they are their own adults, they need to make their own memories, not my old memories.

Bolded by me. Boy, you are so right. It's sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean