AB's Immigration Status

I am wondering how he can afford an attorney. The bad check or charges similar show that he does not have the funds to keep himself above water..

perhaps EB was in fact involved in drugs and cash paid for much of living expenses.. I assume with all thier bad checks they were not able to open a checking account.

More then likely Adam's mother and family are footing the bill for all of Adam's living expenses.

Perhaps Adam is using AY's vehicle or perhaps one of Elisa's children's vehicles to get around town when needed.

No word has come out yet with regards to whether Adam's mother and brother have left town. IMO, they will stay until Adam faces the charges for the checks, etc. and perhaps longer.

Perhaps his Mother is providing financial assistance, that would be my assumption.

Not overlooking the fact that being an Australian citizen, is it possible he was still receiving Family Assistance payment. If he was that will obviously be discontinued given Zahra is no longer alive.

Imagine - stuck in another country, no money, no passport, two nations pointing their finger at him for his possible involvement in Zahra's death, no friends, no support network (other than his always faithful Mum) .... that in itself would be similar to being in prison. Let's also assume he isn't too popular wherever he is living and it's virtually impossible to leave the house.

Regardless of whether he is guilty or not, AB would be looking for a virtual rewind button to take him back to the pre EB days in Australia. Life was probably so much simpler with the support of family and friends.

Well if he is being supported, so is his mother and brother...can't be cheap.

AB not a citizen, so no welfare.
How does he buy food, pay rent on new apartment (deposit/utilities)
get around town?
Who pays for this?
His mother?
His brother?
Are they still here in USA???

My guess is that someone in his family has mortgaged their house to put together a fighting fund. Australia has had quite good real estate value growth over the past sixty years or so, and also managed to escape the global financial crisis without entering recession and without having a huge amount of bank foreclosures. Home ownership is a bit of a passion amongst even poorer Australians, it is referred to as 'the great Australian dream"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Dream

Basically, because of this dedication to home ownership for building wealth, even a lot of lower working class families here can manage to fork out several hundred thousand dollars in an emergency if they have owned their own homes for a couple of decades.

When my son was accused, our family paid for the lawyers, and any other expense that came up. It is not cheap.

There is something you all should take into consideration here. The media sensationalizes things. Sometimes something very small is made into something very big. You the public do not get to see all evidence. I am also noticing that EB's letters seem to be taken as truth. The jail does not let out letters that have anything pertaining to the case. They do not "slip-up". They will let someone ramble and rant something that does not go with evidence they have against them. They will also cut a phone conversation when it leads to something that has to do with evidence. This is my own personal experience and it is not rumor.

Baiting - the act of "hint hint, nudge nudge," where you drop hints to this Big Secret Knowledge that you have, but can't say - is against the TOS. And some posters on here are multiple violators of that rule. If it continues, TOs will be considered.

Baiting - the act of "hint hint, nudge nudge," where you drop hints to this Big Secret Knowledge that you have, but can't say - is against the TOS. And some posters on here are multiple violators of that rule. If it continues, TOs will be considered.

If it was my comment. I was not trying to imply I had secret knowledge. I was expressing my own personal experience in a complete different case. If it is could you please delete it. I tried to but there is no edit button or delete button. Thank you.

When my son was accused, our family paid for the lawyers, and any other expense that came up. It is not cheap.

There is something you all should take into consideration here. The media sensationalizes things. Sometimes something very small is made into something very big. You the public do not get to see all evidence. I am also noticing that EB's letters seem to be taken as truth. The jail does not let out letters that have anything pertaining to the case. They do not "slip-up". They will let someone ramble and rant something that does not go with evidence they have against them. They will also cut a phone conversation when it leads to something that has to do with evidence. This is my own personal experience and it is not rumor.

Absolutely on the Media sensationalizing things!

Firstly, we really don't even know if the letters are legit. We're going on what we have been told by the Media.
Secondly, we don't know, officially 'who' killed Zahra, if she was killed, if she died of an illness, etc. The media's job is to get viewers/readers and to sell their product. Sadly, real journalism is often left by the wayside in many cases.

It's why I take everything said with a grain of salt. Not sure how true most of what's being reported is.

get around town?
Who pays for this?
His mother?
His brother?

How about the animal he married? :waitasec:
He married a citizen....It only take 3 years...
How long is he in the US? and Married?
After 3 years he is ours to keep :banghead:
that would qualify him for free lots of stuff.

However, don’t illegal aliens get lots of FREE stuff too?

How about the animal he married? :waitasec:

AB has been in the US less than 2 years. He arrived in Dec 2008.

If it was my comment. I was not trying to imply I had secret knowledge. I was expressing my own personal experience in a complete different case. If it is could you please delete it. I tried to but there is no edit button or delete button. Thank you.

Don't worry, CH - t'wern't you. If it were, it would already be gone.

You guys can always PM me if have questions!

E=songline;5802846]How about the animal he married? :waitasec:

A person only becomes eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years AFTER receiving a Green Card if it's based on marriage, it isn't automatic. Many permanent residents never apply for citizenship. Also we have no confirmation that AB ever received a Green Card even though he's been here 2 years. Say he did though, and stayed long enough to apply for citizenship and (highly unlikely IMO) was approved he would not even then be automatically eligible for welfare or benefits of any kind since Elisa Baker as his sponsor would have had to sign an affidavit of support so he would not be a burden on the State, that applies for up to 5 years so if any benefits were given to him she would have to repay them. That would apply even if they got divorced until such time as he fulfilled the requirements to qualify in his own right ie have worked and paid taxes for 10 years.

As for what illegal aliens get free, I really don't see how that applies to this case.

get around town?
Who pays for this?
His mother?
His brother?

He married a U.S. citizen and i think they can collect welfare im not sure ill have to investigate this, sure hes not a citizen till he takes his test but i think being married to an American gives him some benifits...

I don't know if you have to be a citizen to get food stamps or housing assistance. Anyone? You have to be registered with the Employment Commission or have a disability, so I'm thinking you must be legal.

In NC, you can't get medical coverage (Medicaid) as a childless adult unless you have a disability or are a senior citizen. You can't get SSI or Disability unless you are disabled, as far as I'm aware - I'm not sure about those with kids. Just Social Security as a senior citizen if you don't have kids, as far as I know.

With a child? Lots more benefits there.

snipped from link:

"If someone is arrested there is usually and detainer issued by ice."

Adam Baker faces list of charges ranging from bad checks to assault.

Sources familiar with his case say that the Australian native may have overstayed his welcome in the states.

Investigators in at least two police agencies have knowledge that his work visa may be expired.

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13522366

snipped from link:

"If someone is arrested there is usually and detainer issued by ice."

Adam Baker faces list of charges ranging from bad checks to assault.

Sources familiar with his case say that the Australian native may have overstayed his welcome in the states.

Investigators in at least two police agencies have knowledge that his work visa may be expired.

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13522366

BBM (and thanks 78gidget78!)

That leads to even more questions. As far as I can recall AB only started working at Real Tree Services approximately 6 months ago but had been in the US for nearly 2 years. Was that his only employment? I could be wrong but it was my understanding to be issued a work visa you first need a job offer. :waitasec:

BBM (and thanks 78gidget78!)

That leads to even more questions. As far as I can recall AB only started working at Real Tree Services approximately 6 months ago but had been in the US for nearly 2 years. Was that his only employment? I could be wrong but it was my understanding to be issued a work visa you first need a job offer. :waitasec:

Not if you are applying for a Green Card based on marriage to a US citizen. When you put in the petitions for the Green Card you can apply at the same time for a temporary work permit and you don't need a job offer first. These work permits are issued pretty quickly so as not to cause unnecessary financial hardship (ironically there is an additional application fee) during GC processing. They are valid for a year and have to be renewed if it takes longer than that for the GC, which is itself a work permit. Many, like me, if there is no pressing financial need for them to be able to work immediately don't bother and just wait for the GC itself.

Given the time frame of June 2009 when they were looking into applying for a GC via that site that scammed them, maybe they did go ahead and file properly with another agency and AB applied for a work permit which if say issued around late Summer/Fall last year would have expired around the same time this year if he hadn't yet been issued a GC.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back