Africa - Seychelles Police Probe Deaths of Sisters Annie and Robin Korkki Sept 2016

Considering they were both coming from the American Midwest, their flights (a quick Google search tells me there are 0 direct routes from anywhere in the US to Seychelles) must have routed through Doha or Dubai (on Etihad/Emirates) or else somewhere like Addis Ababa, although the fact that they're going to as expensive a country as Seychelles as tourists suggests they would have flown on one of the first two and not on Ethiopian Airlines. But in any of these cases, the flights to get to their stops also must have been quite long, and depending on how many stops they ended up having to make, they might have gone up and down a few times and definitely spent a lot of time in the air.

It's not as if people don't drink while on vacation, but it's hard for me to believe that the Korkki sisters would have wanted to drink so much alcohol that they needed to be helped back to their room at only 8:15 PM; a night cut so short two days before they're going home would mean they had terrible hangovers (in a very sunny country) on their penultimate day there. The toxicology report is currently being prepared in Mauritius, so we can't know what it'll show yet, but IMO, that state of drunkenness under those circumstances points to someone putting something into their drinks, causing them to appear much more drunk than they might have been otherwise. Perhaps a worker or a fellow guest intended to knock them unconscious to then assault or rob them, but put too much of whatever it was into the drinks.

The autopsy says they both had pulmonary edema and one had cerebral edema. Could anyone with a medical background tell us if it's unusual, assuming the same cause of death (drug, poison, etc.) that two people's bodies would react in different ways (that is, no cerebral edema in one person) to the same toxin?

Also, I was just curious about what can cause edema and came across heavy metal poisoning (specifically mercury). A 1998 study conducted in Seychelles by the University of Rochester showed that people there have 10-20 times as much mercury in their bodies because many of them eat fish meals a dozen times a week. If the sisters didn't eat a ton of fish at home but decided to do as the Seychellois do once they'd arrived--and maybe they were already immunocompromised in some way, like from flying, etc.--perhaps a quick buildup proved fatal?

I think you're on to something, ohhpossum. They both had similar causes of death at about the same time. There are no other reports of death at the resort. So, to me, it seems they both ingested a toxic substance at around the same time. We do know they appeared intoxicated around 8:15 PM. My theory is: Someone at the resort put something in their drinks, for a nefarious reason. I'm not sure the person intended for them to die, however. The sisters probably drank similar amounts and looked to have similar body sizes. When they arrived back in their room, they passed out at the same time. Very sad...
IMHO

Very interesting, bluedivergirl. And surely the resort would have it on record if Annie and Robin went scuba diving at some point.

Also, some weird things I was wondering about:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/0...can-sisters-found-dead-on-african-island.html

In this article, it says, "[FONT=&quot]Hotel staff had observed the pair drinking alcohol throughout the day and had to be helped to their room last Wednesday by a butler at around 8:15 p.m., according to the Seychelles Nation. Police said the butler returned to the room at around 8:30 a.m. the next day to find the door left the same as it was the night before. By 11 a.m., there was still no sign of them and that’s when hotel staff entered the room."

What is this about the door? Left how? The same as what? Most hotel room doors will swing shut if the footstand isn't kicked into place, so it's hard to imagine it was left open. Plus, if there was, as it says, no sign of them, surely the door wasn't open, or someone could have just looked/walked inside and seen that they were there.

Are cerebral/pulmonary edema visible outwardly, or are they only detectable in an autopsy? Because if the door had been left open and someone checked in on them before 11 AM, I'm wondering if that person might have noticed that their heads/chest areas looked swollen.

It's strange to me that there's no mention of vomiting. If there had been a toxin or enough of a drug in their bodies that they died, they would have almost certainly thrown up, wouldn't they? And even if they made it to the toilet in time to throw up there, I can't believe there wouldn't be any splatter in the bathroom. In the states they were in, I seriously doubt they would have had the presence of mind to clean it. Was someone else there, wiping up after them? If so--and it was someone like the butler--why wouldn't they have said so?[/FONT]

The sisters — 37-year-old Annie and 42-year-old Robin — died last week on an island in the Indian Ocean. The American siblings were vacationing at a high-end resort in Seychelles, where their bodies were reportedly discovered Sept. 22.

In the immediate aftermath of their deaths, few details were known.

Police in the Republic of Seychelles released a report Friday showing that the women died from an excess of fluid in their lungs, according to NBC News. The autopsy report states that Robin Korkki died from acute pulmonary edema and that Annie Korkki died from acute pulmonary edema and cerebral edema, Seychelles police spokesman Jean Toussaint told the network.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ir-family-is-searching-for-answers/?tid=sm_fb

They were staying together at the $2,000-a-night Maia Luxury Resort and Spa when staff found them dead in their room on Sept. 22.

"We still don't know how they died," their brother, Chris Korkki, told NBC News from his home in Minnesota on Thursday. "The U.S. Embassy has been incredibly helpful but there are more questions than answers."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/s...se-death-annie-robin-korkki-n657306?cid=sm_fb

CBS Denver reports Annie Korkki, 37, and Robin Korkki, 42, were found dead in their villa at the posh Maia Luxury Resort on the Seychelles, a chain of islands in the Indian Ocean about 900 miles from the coast of East Africa.

Local media have reported the sisters were found without any clear signs of physical attack or obvious trauma to their bodies.

The Seychelles Nation newspaper said the women had to be helped to their room by resort staff after drinking the night before they were found, according to CBS Denver. Resort staff found the women in their room and reported it to the police on Sept. 22.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/american-sisters-annie-korkki-robin-korkki-found-dead-seychelles-resort/

According to the Mayo Clinic, there are a number of possible causes for pulmonary edema, including heart problems, pneumonia, exposure to certain toxins and medications, or trauma to the chest wall. (It can also result from living or exercising at high elevations, but the Seychelles are not high altitude.) The condition can be treated if emergency medical care is received in time.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/seychelles-police-autopsies-sisters-found-dead-resort-island-villa/

Very interesting, bluedivergirl. And surely the resort would have it on record if Annie and Robin went scuba diving at some point.

Also, some weird things I was wondering about:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/0...can-sisters-found-dead-on-african-island.html

In this article, it says, "[FONT=&quot]Hotel staff had observed the pair drinking alcohol throughout the day and had to be helped to their room last Wednesday by a butler at around 8:15 p.m., according to the Seychelles Nation. Police said the butler returned to the room at around 8:30 a.m. the next day to find the door left the same as it was the night before. By 11 a.m., there was still no sign of them and that’s when hotel staff entered the room."

What is this about the door? Left how? The same as what? Most hotel room doors will swing shut if the footstand isn't kicked into place, so it's hard to imagine it was left open. Plus, if there was, as it says, no sign of them, surely the door wasn't open, or someone could have just looked/walked inside and seen that they were there.

Are cerebral/pulmonary edema visible outwardly, or are they only detectable in an autopsy? Because if the door had been left open and someone checked in on them before 11 AM, I'm wondering if that person might have noticed that their heads/chest areas looked swollen.

It's strange to me that there's no mention of vomiting. If there had been a toxin or enough of a drug in their bodies that they died, they would have almost certainly thrown up, wouldn't they? And even if they made it to the toilet in time to throw up there, I can't believe there wouldn't be any splatter in the bathroom. In the states they were in, I seriously doubt they would have had the presence of mind to clean it. Was someone else there, wiping up after them? If so--and it was someone like the butler--why wouldn't they have said so?[/FONT]

My guess is that the Butler meant the door was closed and the do not disturb sign was still on it.

Vomiting only would've occurred if the substance they ingested were swallowed. If it were snorted, they would not have vomited...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ses-locals-tell-cocaine-culture-tourists.html

Health risks in the Seychelles

* Chikungunya, which causes ailments resembling flu like joint pain. The virus can cause death and symptoms can last for months.

* Leptospirosis, a bacterial infection caused by contaminated water.

* Cercarial dermatitis can infect ocean swimmers. Yellow fever is also possible.

* Palm spiders are visible by their huge nests, and ants, sand fleas and roaches also hang out on the islands. <-- Can people be allergic to spiders? Though I guess it's unlikely they would both have an allergy.

IMO it would be really weird for both of them to get one of the above at the same time, but carbon monoxide poisoning or some kind of intentional poisoning or bad drug/OD could do that.

It looks like they were staying at a fancy-schmancy place and I think they would have had to have all the necessary vaccinations up to date.

Hmmmm.

I have retired to a place similar to the Seychelles but not exclusive like that. Not sure why there would be carbon monoxide for any reason. Everyone where I live had chikungunya. It causes arthritis like symptoms.Lepto is flu like and will kill,you but it takes a couple of days and they would notice they are very ill. The eyes turn yellow and the blood black so I Think they would kmow that although it would not help the tourist industry.

I doubt they would fit in the very rich category that customs overlooks, but some other super rich person could have brought in some kind of screwed up drug. But then I would think someone else would be sick or dead from it as well.

Daily Mail - "American sisters found dead in $1,800-a-night Seychelles villa had fluid on their lungs often linked to drug overdoses, authorities say - as locals tell of 'cocaine culture' among tourists."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ses-locals-tell-cocaine-culture-tourists.html

Don't know about the Seychelles, but I know tourists are into drugs on other luxury places. Most airports have drug sniffing dogs, so I think if it was drugs, it was brought in by someone else, not the sisters. Someone who is not scrutinized.

Vacationing sisters died of water in lungs
http://www.9news.com/news/local/vacationing-sisters-died-of-water-in-lungs/327954352

"THE SEYCHELLES - An autopsy report reveals that vacationing sisters -- one of whom most recently lived in Denver -- died in the Seychelles Islands from fluid in their lungs, a condition commonly known as Acute Pulmonary Edema.*

The report, released by Police in the Republic of Seychelles, details the autopsies done on 42-year-old Robin Marie Korkki, and her 37-year-old sister Anne Marie Korkki, who lived in Denver. While the cause of death for both sisters was Acute Pulmonary Edema, Cerebral Edema was also listed as a contributing cause for Anne Marie."

Vacationing sisters died of water in lungs
http://www.9news.com/news/local/vacationing-sisters-died-of-water-in-lungs/327954352

"THE SEYCHELLES - An autopsy report reveals that vacationing sisters -- one of whom most recently lived in Denver -- died in the Seychelles Islands from fluid in their lungs, a condition commonly known as Acute Pulmonary Edema.*

The report, released by Police in the Republic of Seychelles, details the autopsies done on 42-year-old Robin Marie Korkki, and her 37-year-old sister Anne Marie Korkki, who lived in Denver. While the cause of death for both sisters was Acute Pulmonary Edema, Cerebral Edema was also listed as a contributing cause for Anne Marie."

In secondary drowning, fluid builds up in the lungs, called pulmonary edema, after a near-drowning incident. The fluid causes trouble breathing. ... But all dry drowning results in breathing trouble and brain injury, just as drowning in the water does.

http://www.m.webmd.com/children/news/20140602/dry-drowning-faq

I might have missed it if it was posted up thread but I keep wondering why they extended their vacation by two days. Seems odd to rearrange travel plans like that.

Can any prescription medications mixed with steady drinking of alcohol throughout the day have caused pulmonary edema?

The combination of extreme intoxication, pulmonary edema, and cerebral edema are probably a much simpler explanation than viruses or pesticides. IMO, it could have been a positional partial asphyxia from airway blockage (tongue occlusion, relaxation of upper airway structures), which produced acute negative pressure pulmonary edema. That is, attempting to take breaths against an obstruction, either glottic or supra glottic, often produces NPPE. Brain swelling followed the hypoxia and hypercapnia (low oxygen, high carbon dioxide). Could definitely have been exacerbated by any additional cerebral depressants, like sleeping pills, opioids, or Valium type drugs.

This could have happened over the course of just a couple of hours, or less, depending on their position, and level of intoxication, plus any additional depressant drugs. They had to live a little while after the pulmonary edema, in order to get to a state of cerebral edema.

That's my take on the probable physiology, based on what has been released to the media.

We deal with the risks of NPPE in the OR regularly. Can happen with patients bucking the vent, straining against a closed glottis, laryngospasm, etc.

Here's an explanation.

Having trouble pasting these links. On a mobile device.

https://www.openanesthesia.org/nega...pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=1933322

If it was caused by drugs could they have swallowed packets of something as they were about to fly home?

They weren't flying home just yet&#8212;don't think they would have taken something like Valium or another drug with similar effects 48 hours in advance. A stimulant like cocaine, maybe, but not something with depressant-type effects.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back