Africa - Seychelles Police Probe Deaths of Sisters Annie and Robin Korkki Sept 2016

The sun rises around 6:00AM and it sets around 6:00 PM. For whatever reason, being in the Tropics makes you very tired. Maybe all of that fresh air and sun.

I would think at those kinds of prices, the rooms are quite well guarded and a random person is going to be noticed considering each room has their own butler. I have never stayed some place like that so not sure about the security, but with the internet, resorts know any issues will now be spread around the earth.

Fergie of Royal fame vacations, or did, on the Seychelles.

It is possible someone wanted to rob them, but compared to how rich people are that go there, they probably are not that rich. And how would someone get into the room.

I am sure the room has a safe.

Extending the vacation probably was because they loved it so much.

After Jennifer Anniston's wedding, a woman in her party drowned in Bora Bora . The cause was cocaine.

When these rich people go to a luxury spot, the pilot hands out the Passports and everyone stays on the private plane. These countries want and need the money so the really rich get away with a lot.

I'm just joining after following a bit in MSM. From the reports of them drinking so much they had to be helped to their room and then the cause of death that looks like drugs....couldn't they have been slipped something without their knowledge? That's the first thing I thought of.

I know you can't judge by looks, but these two don't seem like vacation drug users.

Sorry if the idea of being slipped something at the resort bar or restaurant has been discussed already.

jmo

What level of hypoxia would it take for someone to appear as 'drunk'?

I suspect their edemas were well under way before they were assisted back to their rooms.

Had the butler had training to recognize medical emergencies as opposed to only recognizing 'drunken tourists' maybe they would have had a chance (not knocking the butler, just making a point).

What level of hypoxia would it take for someone to appear as 'drunk'?

I suspect their edemas were well under way before they were assisted back to their rooms.

Had the butler had training to recognize medical emergencies as opposed to only recognizing 'drunken tourists' maybe they would have had a chance (not knocking the butler, just making a point).

I imagine they have training for medical. It would shock me if they did not.

Seychelles hit by third sudden tourist death, after sisters found in their hotel room

Another tourist has died suddenly in Seychelles, after two American sisters were found dead in their holiday villa on the African island.

On September 26, a South African national was discovered "unresponsive" in his room at the Plantation Club Resort at Baie Lazarre, also on the main island of Mahé, according to Seychelles police, reported Today.

So far everything I've found about this death has been vague.

Apologies if it's already been posted.

Here's more...

Seychelles Police said a South African national was found “unresponsive” in his room at the Plantation Club Resort at Baie Lazare on the main island of Mahé on September 26, according to local publication Today.

14457391_1109660335738442_5241963595363684782_n.jpg

Image from https://www.facebook.com/todayinsey
http://www.todayinseychelles.com/

Wow. This is scary. Kind of like how Legionaiire's disease killed people until they figured out it was coming from air conditioning units.

Wow. This is scary. Kind of like how Legionaiire's disease killed people until they figured out it was coming from air conditioning units.

Ooh, I didn't even think of that possibility.

Vacationing sisters died of water in lungs
http://www.9news.com/news/local/vacationing-sisters-died-of-water-in-lungs/327954352

"THE SEYCHELLES - An autopsy report reveals that vacationing sisters -- one of whom most recently lived in Denver -- died in the Seychelles Islands from fluid in their lungs, a condition commonly known as Acute Pulmonary Edema.*

The report, released by Police in the Republic of Seychelles, details the autopsies done on 42-year-old Robin Marie Korkki, and her 37-year-old sister Anne Marie Korkki, who lived in Denver. While the cause of death for both sisters was Acute Pulmonary Edema, Cerebral Edema was also listed as a contributing cause for Anne Marie."

This could be caused by drug overdose. I remember this from the show that used to be on tv with the woman pathologist. Cant remember her name, but she identified Caylee Anthony's remains.

This seems like a lot of death in a very short period of time. Is this normal for Seychelles? Or other expensive island tourist destinations? Hope not. But if they are all accidental overdoses, I hope the distributor is found and held accountable. If the toxicology report comes back positive for a recreational drug for the Korkkis and the two men who died elsewhere, ideally a local dealer can be identified.

Someone quoted an article above where a local (?) woman said that cocaine overdoses are common in Seychelles and that it's a "big problem" there. Is it just a problem for tourists or residents, too? Where does it come from? It's a pretty remote country...

I am guessing that it is like other tourist locations where very wealthy tourists go. The ones that come in on a private jet do not leave the aircraft. The pilot hands out the passports. No one checks for drugs.

At most airports, there are drug sniffing dogs, but the super rich do not step foot in the airport. Also, some people bring the drugs in on their yachts. The police do not hassle the super rich.

I am guessing that it is like other tourist locations where very wealthy tourists go. The ones that come in on a prkvate jet do not leave the aircraft. The pilot hands out the passports. No one checks for drugs.

At most airports, there are drug sniffing dogs, but the super rich do not step foot in the airport. Also, some people bring the drugs in on their yachts. The police do not hassle the super rich.

I would put the Seychelles on a list with places like Fiji, Tahiti, and St. Barts.

Very exclusive and shishi lala.

I grew up with a guy who went on a trip to either Thailand or Indonesia (I forget which but I believe this happens in both places), a sports team trip, they all went out for dinner/drinks at bars, he wasn't feeling so good at one point and went back to his hotel room. They found him dead in his room the next day. It was because bars were essentially using 'homebrew' spirits in their drinks. He was not the first, he is not the last. I'm not sure how that relates to the causes of death of these two, I'm not sure of the official cause of death of the guy I knew. I don't know too much about the Seychelles but I know that in Thailand/Indonesia the advice is to think about how that drink is going to be made - beer where you see them pop the top is best, even if you see them pour vodka out of a bottle you recognise - well, it could have been refilled with homebrew. I'll see if I can find any articles, in the last couple of years there was a little spate of incidents.

Here's one article: https://www.crikey.com.au/2013/01/10/the-dangers-of-cocktail-hour-in-kuta-why-does-arak-kill/

Again, I'm not sure of the drinking culture of the Seychelles but this was the first thing to come to mind since it's 2 people at once.

I grew up with a guy who went on a trip to either Thailand or Indonesia (I forget which but I believe this happens in both places), a sports team trip, they all went out for dinner/drinks at bars, he wasn't feeling so good at one point and went back to his hotel room. They found him dead in his room the next day. It was because bars were essentially using 'homebrew' spirits in their drinks. He was not the first, he is not the last. I'm not sure how that relates to the causes of death of these two, I'm not sure of the official cause of death of the guy I knew. I don't know too much about the Seychelles but I know that in Thailand/Indonesia the advice is to think about how that drink is going to be made - beer where you see them pop the top is best, even if you see them pour vodka out of a bottle you recognise - well, it could have been refilled with homebrew. I'll see if I can find any articles, in the last couple of years there was a little spate of incidents.

Here's one article: https://www.crikey.com.au/2013/01/10/the-dangers-of-cocktail-hour-in-kuta-why-does-arak-kill/

Again, I'm not sure of the drinking culture of the Seychelles but this was the first thing to come to mind since it's 2 people at once.

I think you're right - someone spiked their drink (but why? I haven't read anything about rape, assault, or theft) or they got a bad batch of some kind of drug.

Anyway, all this Seychelles googling is just making me wish I could go. These pictures are freaking gorgeous. (5k per person for a week so that ain't happening.)

Most of the warnings I've found have to do with shark attacks and drownings. Petty theft is also mentioned though it doesn't sound like it's any worse than other tourist areas - advice is don't carry a lot of cash, don't offer rides to strangers, keep your car locked and your wallet with you.

This is so weird and confusing. Both of them at the same time. Is it possible one poisoned the other and then killed herself? Seems crazy but there are crazy cases all over WS.

*advertiser censored* is strictly forbidden!!

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/30/annie-korkki-robin-korkki-autospy/
[FONT=&amp]Many things can cause acute pulmonary edema and cerebral edema, said Dr. Patrick Lank, a Northwestern Medicine assistant professor of emergency medicine in Chicago. Emergency rooms commonly see it in drug overdoses, he said, but it might also come from a viral infection.“Two people at the same time is odd,” Lank said. “It suggests more of a toxicologic or environmental cause, or a potential infection if they’re traveling together.”

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]An itinerary found at the Maia hotel indicated the sisters had been touring Africa since Sept. 1, and that they had visited Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar before arriving in Seychelles on Sept. 16[/FONT]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back