GUILTY AK - Miley Edwards-Gust, 3, froze to death in her Barrow home, 2 Feb 2012

http://www.thearcticsounder.com/article/1207new_charges_pressed_against_boyfriend

Charging documents noted that the 1-year-old had bruises and crusted blood around her lips and mouth, and that police found clothing in the house with dried blood on it.

Tilden has a long list of prior charges and convictions for alcohol-related crimes, including domestic assault against his late wife.

I think we might need to see what actually happened to his late wife. Currently, because of my internet I am unable to find any mention of her.

I have found both Richard's and Michelene's facebook pages and other additonal information about their relationship. What I have yet to find is what actually happened to Michelene. How did this young woman with children die?

I don't understand the reason for dry towns. I'm not much of a drinker, maybe a glass or two of wine per year, but it just causes more trouble when it's made illegal. When all the areas around it are legal, it makes no sense at all. Just strikes me as some busybody being in everybody else's business.
Native Alaskans have a very high predisposition to alcoholism. It is not just a busybody thing.

Today, substance abuse is the number one debilitating force among Alaska Natives. More precisely, the suicide rate for Alaska Natives is four times more than the national average and almost 80% of all Alaska Native deaths are related to alcohol abuse or alcoholism.

Additionally, the rate of fetal alcohol syndrome among Alaska Natives is the highest for any American population researched to date (4.2 per 1,000 live births).

http://www.alcohol-information.com/Alcohol_Abuse_in_Native_Communities.html

I have found both Richard's and Michelene's facebook pages and other additonal information about their relationship. What I have yet to find is what actually happened to Michelene. How did this young woman with children die?

I can find nothing about a cause of death, not even an online obituary.
Only a mention of her in the Social Security Death index (and even that is a 2nd-hand source) that has her born in 1982 and dying in 2011. No mention of the month or day.

This is what I found on his deceased wife. She hasn't been gone a year :(

Name:

Michelene K. Tilden

State of Issue:

Alaska

Date of Birth:

Thursday August 19, 1982

Date of Death:

Thursday July 21, 2011

Est. Age at Death:

28 years, 11 months, 2 days

Last known residence:

State:

Unknown

Confirmation:

Proven

Let me go check some papers around her date of death to see if there's anything. I hope it's okay to sleuth her.

Mel

I just remembered - I don't think native death certificates are made public in the paper. My bro lives in Anchorage and his SIL is a native. You can order a death certificate, but death notices are not usually posted in the local newspapers.

I could be wrong, but I can't find a thing - and it does appear she was associated with a particular village in Dillingham.

I've also been to AK several times, and there are many out of the way villages that are not very welcoming (IMHO) of outsiders. I did get to see a few shops where folks would sell their wares, but that's about it.

What a sad sad story :(

Mel

http://www.nodeju.com/19362/alaskan-toddler-freezes-to-death.html

An Alaskan court declared the mother and her friend as being officially responsible for the girl’s death.

The mother was allowed to get out of jail to care for her surviving daughter. Her male companion will be prosecuted for child endangerment and second degree murder.

I found a bunch of speculation on what happened to Tilden's wife, but nothing I can link to or show to be fact. In my opinion though, he needs to stay in jail where he is now.

another disturbing article. So the boyfriend drank 2 bottles of whiskey and woke at 12:30 PM only to find the girls dead/unresponsive?

For someone who's been in Alaska, you don't leave a bedroom window open - EVER - in the winter. I'm just horrified.

Girl, 3, dies of hypothermia after 'mother and boyfriend locked her in freezing bedroom for wetting the bed'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-freezing-bedroom-Alaska.html#ixzz1oCKRUQR9

Modern culture has greatly impacted Alaskan Native populations. Alcohol, depression and suicide are problems in recent history.

Native Americans and Alaskan Natives are five times more likely than other ethnicities in the United States to die of alcohol-related causes. Native Americans are predisposed to alcoholism because of differences in the way they metabolize alcohol.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh301/3-4.htm

An elder shared how dysfunctional drinking norms learned from miners, whalers, and other Westerners were integrated with the Inupiat value of sharing, he said, “That’s who we learned to drink from. When you had it, you drank till it was all gone and everybody drank cause we shared with everybody.” Some saw alcohol as a Native problem, not being able to drink like other races, i.e. - “hold their liquor” or “social drinking”. Others saw alcoholism as a spiritual problem. Divorce, physical and sexual abuse, job loss, depression, guilt and shame, and opening up the person to negative spiritual forces were problems associated with substance abuse.
http://www.swancircle.com/Suicide .html

This is a link to an excellent paper on Alaskan Native cultures:

http://www.alaskool.org/native_ed/articles/EMaclean-CC.htm

Prayers offered to the families of this young girl. I hope the mother will turn herself in and not do anything drastic; there has been enough sadness for her family.

What happened to these children and Tilden's wife has nothing to do with culture. He is a sick man who can not control his temper. He was angry that these BABIES wet their bed! He didn't want to be bothered! Opening the window was a diluted attempt to teach them a lesson. He was drunk and 'forgot" to close it. No excuse! Drunk or not, he made a choice. The wrong one!

IMO second degree murder is too good for him!

MOO!

What happened to these children and Tilden's wife has nothing to do with culture. He is a sick man who can not control his temper. He was angry that these BABIES wet their bed! He didn't want to be bothered! Opening the window was a diluted attempt to teach them a lesson. He was drunk and 'forgot" to close it. No excuse! Drunk or not, he made a choice. The wrong one!

IMO second degree murder is too good for him!

MOO!

That is the point of my post. The info at the links shows that.

Thank you!

I am so overwhelmed by the information I have found out about this man!

The fact that this type of abuse went on for so long is saddening! The fact that it continued even after is maddening!

He is not indicative of all Yu'pik, Inupiaq or Inuit peoples. btw, Eskimo is considered a derogatory term. These cultures are beautiful, I loved studying them, and the encroachment of the modern world has caused heartache for the Elders and the community. I am not condoning his actions.

He is not indicative of all Yu'pik, Inupiaq or Inuit peoples. btw, Eskimo is considered a derogatory term. These cultures are beautiful, I loved studying them, and the encroachment of the modern world has caused heartache for the Elders and the community. I am not condoning his actions.

From what I have learned, he is the polar opposite of what is indicative of that "tribe". They have a beautiful culture! A beautiful way of life. This man is an anomaly!

From what I have learned, he is the polar opposite of what is indicative of that "tribe". They have a beautiful culture! A beautiful way of life. This man is an anomaly!

Alcoholism and drugs do that, in any culture. :(

He should never have been watching children; the one article states he woke up at 12:30 in the afternoon. I'm wondering where in the apartment his sons were; a window open in -30 will have a whole apartment freezing. It sounds like he passed out.

His father, Richard Tilden Sr., now deceased, advocated creation near Dillingham of a "spirit camp" in 1995 to help local people recover from alcohol addiction.

That is so profoundly sad, and speaks to how alcoholism can affect families and communities for years, and yes, generations. This man realized it, wanted to change it, and look how his own son ended up, destroying his own life and the lives of others. :(

Poor babies. :rose:

My gut tells me this door latch wasn't "broken" but had probably been fixed by one of the adults so that the babies couldn't get out of their room. Babies wanting their breakfast in the morning are not condusive to sleeping off your drunk.

So many of the stories I read about on here are about parents having totally unreasonable expectations of little kids. Babies will wet their beds if you don't let them use the bathroom until after noon! They can't hold it and especially in a freezing cold room. Also, babies cannot survive frigid temps without clothing or blankets and maybe not even with them!

I can't even imagine 30 below zero, much less wet with an open window. Those poor, poor babies. I feel so bad for what they suffered. I wonder how the 1-year-old is doing. It is kind of surprising that she has so far survived, while the 3-year-old didn't. I hope she is doing okay. Anybody know what the long-term prognosis would be for something like this?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Champ86
Back