AK AK - Scott, 13, & Amy Fandel, 8, Sterling, 5 Sept 1978

As a matter of fact that episode was just on again the other night. I too wonder if there is a connection.

Also if you watched the news last night there was a man arrested for an unkown number of possible child molestations. He was previously either charged or convicted of molesting a child in Alaska...probably not connected but worth looking into. Did anyone hear when the man was in Alaska by chance? I think I remember hearing he was first arrested in 1970. Not sure where that was.

Be careful... all that get involved with this story. They are a very dangerous family to deal with..... At the time, Alaska was FULL of drug dealers and criminals. Work was good and pay was good too so many guys went up there. There's much speculation about who took the children and what happened.

IF it wasn't family related, what I don't understand is the "stagging" involved. Scott was "apparently shot". Blood was found along with ammunition shells. The theory here is that "they" were kidnapping Amy and Scott got in the way. ONE problem with this theory is that they wouldn't have bothered to take Scott.

This is very likely a family abduction and I got too close to finding out some stuff. Tread carefully folks.

Regarding the case of Scott and Amy Fandel, I don't think it's likely that the father is involved in their disappearance. I think it's much more likely that there was a child predator at the bar that night who noticed that the children were taken home and the adults were back. I am thinking of the Shasta and DYlan Groene situation as comparable. In my opinion, if Amy were still alive she would have found a way to contact someone no matter how afraid she may be of her possible abductor. Amy would be in her mid 30's now. I entered the zip code for Sterling AK and a neighboring town into one of those child molestor databases and was stunned at the number of them in this small rural area.

I agree. It would be nice to think of it as a family abduction because that would mean it's likely that they're still alive, but I think it is much more likely that it was a stranger. Or probably strangers, as I don't see how one person could have gotten both kids, not without a huge noisy fuss and struggle anyway.

The fact that two children were abducted reminds me of the case in Australia in (I think) the 70s. It happened at a huge game -- football or soccer or some such -- in a large public arena. The two girls didn't know each other, but their families were sitting near one another. One girl was around 4, the other around 10. The ten year old was asked to take the younger girl to the bathroom. They never returned. People questioned how two children, one of them old enough to scream and make noise, could be abducted in such a busy place. Recently a man has come forward saying he saw a little girl around 10 angrily chasing and shouting after a man who was carrying a smaller girl. He thought it was a domestic disturbance at the time; now they think it was the older girl trying to save the younger girl.

If Scott Fandel was trying to save or protect his sister, he might go along willingly with an abductor. Also, it could very likely be someone they knew, even if it wasn't a family member. Didn't it look as if they had been cooking something on the stove? Maybe someone came in, said, "Your mom's hurt" (or something to that effect), and gotten both to go willingly along.

I was just reading about this case and wondered if anyone else thought it was unusual that the mother comes home from the bar and finds an open can and water boiling with no one around and thinks the children are at a neighbors? I wonder if after the mother tried calling the girl at school the next day, did she call her sister Cathy and see if the kids were home. It seems like with her sister staying at her cabin she would call at some point since she called the school concerned for them. However, it's only when the neighbor kids come looking are the police then summoned.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fandel_scott.html
I don't suspect the mother, her alibi is being with people at a bar. It just seems unusual and could be some kind of clue as to what was going through the mothers mind when all this occurs.

This is a very interesting case. I wish someone would find out what happened.

I hadn't seen that other thread. Blueclouds would have made me think twice about my post...

Does anyone know if they determined what caused the fire that burned the cabin down after they go missing?

The Fandel case is one of my “it” cases and is always on my mind. I was really into it for a while there and had even conversed with BlueClouds via email as she had apparently involved herself in the case on some level but I never really got a detailed story from her as to the extent of her involvement and what she actually knew. The old website put out by the mother's side of the family is no longer up and running, but I may have a copy of the webpage saved to my documents somewhere. I also have some other misc. information as well as some newspaper articles, one of them is particularly long and very informative. After reading the longest article I have my doubts about the father being involved, but I remain open to the possibilty that other family members on the Fandel side could be responsible. The stranger theory also holds a lot of water with me as well. I don't know, this is such a puzzling and frustrating mystery. Let me do some digging for what I have and I’ll get back with ya'll. If I can find them and anyone wants a copy you can just PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you.

Thanks, KT Can!

I'll be waiting to see what you can find!

I had PMed you my email address. I was trying to think of motives but without articles and details it's hard to come up with one. If it was Amy's father the motive isn't really apparant with the little information I've read. Sounds like he left the mother so that kind of makes revenge on his wife an unlikely motive. It also seems unlikely this was due to child support or anything like that. Does anyone have any motive ideas for any possible abductors?
I wonder where Amy's father was when Margaret can't reach him after the kids are missing.

HollywoodBound said:
I had PMed you my email address. I was trying to think of motives but without articles and details it's hard to come up with one. If it was Amy's father the motive isn't really apparant with the little information I've read. Sounds like he left the mother so that kind of makes revenge on his wife an unlikely motive. It also seems unlikely this was due to child support or anything like that. Does anyone have any motive ideas for any possible abductors?
I wonder where Amy's father was when Margaret can't reach him after the kids are missing.
The long article I have will anser A LOT of your questions on this case. There are too many scenarios to discuss and most can be explained away. I'm searching for my case stuff now.....

If I came home at 1 or 2 in the morning and found food cooking on the stove with nobody in the kitchen or living room I would be wanting to know from my oldest why the stove was still on, that would lead me to his bedroom if he was not in any other room?? Something is not right with that story. I am saying that you just don't go to bed when you come home and find food cooking on the stove with nobody there watching it the first thing that would come to mind is "if your not watching it the place could burn down" then I would want to know why it was left there? and something can only cook for so long untill it burns.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back