AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if BW's phone is internet capable? If it is, would law enforcement have access to web searches or sites visited through the records from the cell phone provider?

Yes, they can obtain net activity...but idk if Brittney's cell was net capable. I kind of think it might be bc aren't most cells internet capable now? I seriously don't know. Do we know yet the phone that she had? Net capability is based on the phone as well as the service carrier.

When was the exact date that the reward/search fund was set up? Does anyone have the info on what bank, etc? Is a lawyer handling it? Are there stipulations in place where receipts would be utilized (for accounting purposes) in order to withdrawal funds to search and/or buy info? Can the funds be used for anything else?

I'm trying to catch up as I had a busy night last night, but I saved a lot of what people requested. In looking over RSW's wall, this guy really does appear straight laced & caring, seems like he frequently does the 'right thing' and he seems like the most stable out of the entire family.

I most certainly believe in the innocent until proven guilty idea, however one thing I will never do is assume the victim is lying.

Here's how it works people...

Somebody says something to the cops that implicates a person in a crime. Police interview everyone - the perp(s) as well as the victim(s). If the victim is underage, their parent or guardian will be present unless they're the one doing the victimizing . The same thing goes for the perp. Everything, the entire interview is recorded by voice & most of the time by video. Written statements are taken from both the victim and the perp. Law enforcement then determines if there's true basis, if the alleged perp should be charged based on the victim and/or witness testimony. Law enforcement charges if they determine probable cause & truth to a statement.

So, it's tricky here for some to think RSW could be guilty. That is fine. Same goes for DAK & DH. However, no matter what, I'll never so blatantly assume that a minor child victim of sodomy, incest, rape, sex, etc would be lying. If one goes with the theory that the victim, out of guilt over DH's suicide, decided to cast blame elsewhere - then no matter how one looks at it, or whatever reasons there may be given, then that would still imply that the victim is lying and is not believable.

Police won't arrest & charge a person just bc they're implicated by another suspect. In a sex crime case, unless the charge involves cyber crimes, the victim will be interviewed before any charges are sought. They charged based on probable cause.

Whenever I read that RSW or DK could have been implicated out of guilt that the victim may have held due to the suicide of DH, I think about all the child victims of molestation/sex/incest/rape whose mother or father didn't believe them when they came to them to report such crimes. There is no difference except for the fact that most of us may not be related or know said victim.

Again - the victim had to have been interviewed as well.

BBM. I think that my post about my mom set off this discussion of whether or not the victim is lying. I made it clear in a subsequent post that I do not believe that the victim is lying. The response in my post was to the question that came up as to why wouldn't the victim come forward 4 months ago, if in fact it is the same victim that DH was being investigated over.

It is horrifically difficult for an adult victim to come forward and I believe that it is even worse for a child. That said, there is a possibility that DH's suicide was a catalyst for this victim to feel strong enough to come forward. It is also possible that the victim was terrified of DH, or even loved him and was protective of him. My point was that children that are victims of abuse often react in ways that surprise people because their emotions are filtered through the eyes of a child and not the eyes of an adult.

BBM. I think that my post about my mom set off this discussion of whether or not the victim is lying. I made it clear in a subsequent post that I do not believe that the victim is lying. The response in my post was to the question that came up as to why wouldn't the victim come forward 4 months ago, if in fact it is the same victim that DH was being investigated over.

It is horrifically difficult for an adult victim to come forward and I believe that it is even worse for a child. That said, there is a possibility that DH's suicide was a catalyst for this victim to feel strong enough to come forward. It is also possible that the victim was terrified of DH, or even loved him and was protective of him. My point was that children that are victims of abuse often react in ways that surprise people because their emotions are filtered through the eyes of a child and not the eyes of an adult.

Yeah, I think along the same lines as you. I'm still catching up, missed a lot yesterday & last night - but I do know how the charging part of it all works so thought I'd comment. I don't know how bail & such is set. Brb, I'll see what I can find real quick...

Yes, they can obtain net activity...but idk if Brittney's cell was net capable. I kind of think it might be bc aren't most cells internet capable now? I seriously don't know. Do we know yet the phone that she had? Net capability is based on the phone as well as the service carrier.

I was curious about this because MPD as stated that they believe that BW is hiding. If they are the ones that have access to cell records, I am wondering if they have indications from web searches that she may have been looking to take off. Perhaps she researched travel distances or time. Maybe she researched shelter information, so on and so forth.

Does anyone know if fliers have been sent out to shelters in the surrounding area? Are there any places in the area that serve free meals to the homeless?

In our area, we have 24 hour laundromats. In bad weather the homeless are known to frequent these places. Some plan ahead to have enough change to wash laundry so that they won't be kicked out. If there are agencies that work with the homeless population, it might be a good idea to get fliers out to these out reach programs.

Another thought is that we have several intersections in the city where the homeless beg. If the same is true there it might be worth the effort to hand out fliers directly to these folks. It has been my experience that they are often over looked and disregarded. Because of that they see and hear things that other people don't. I know that the drug task force in our area has leveraged this information network in the past.

I am curious to know if RSW hung out with or mentioned DK during the time One has known RSW.

No, the first time I ever heard about DK was when I saw the arrests in the news. I'm pretty sure they didn't hang out but of course I can't be 100% sure.

Found this fwiw... This link refers to IL but can still be used for reference.

http://www.fcnetwork.org/reading/illinois.html

Snipped:
FIRST POLICE CONTACT

Lawful arrests cannot begin with police officers simply choosing to hassle an innocent victim for no reason. Even an officer's suspicion of wrongdoing isn't enough for the police to stop a suspect, not even an articulatable suspicion (one based on more than a simple intuitive hunch, that can be explained in words) is enough. But combine an articulatable suspicion with reason, and you have all that is necessary to begin the arrest process. To stop or detain a suspect, the police must possess a reasonable articulatable suspicion that the arrestee has committed or is about to commit an unlawful act. If such a suspicion exists, next follows probable cause -- the confirmation of the suspicion, or the discovery of a criminal offense -- after the initial police contact.

If time permits, the wise officer will appear before a judge to explain his opinions regarding reasonable suspicion and probable cause to obtain an arrest or search warrant. But such warrants are not necessary in all circumstances and are not sought when the police fear that evidence, or a criminal, might vanish if time is taken to obtain a warrant.

Whether arrested by probable cause or by warrant, the next step is the beginning of police custody -- the point at which the arrestee's freedom is taken into the hands of the arresting officer and law enforcement agency. He will be handcuffed, placed alone in the back seat of a squad car, and transported to jail. It is important to understand that even during an illegal arrest, it is unlawful to disobey the arresting officer. Immediately upon his arrest, Miranda warnings are usually given.

Snipped:
FELONY BAIL

If the arrest was charged as a felony, bond will not be set at the police station on the night of the arrest. The arrestee will be required to spend the night in jail until sometime, usually the next day, when he will appear before a judge who will hear the facts and set bond.

At this appearance before the judge the defendant will not be given the right to court appointed counsel. He will be given the right to future court representation, but is seldom appointed a Public Defender for the first appearance process. The State's Attorney will tell the judge what crime is alleged, tell him about the defendant's record, and the judge will choose the appropriate bond amount. If the defendant speaks up and gives the judge a reason, he might set bond lower than the amount requested by the State's Attorney. If the defendant speaks up and says the wrong thing, the State requested amount can be increased, or the defendant can be charged with contempt, or maybe further charges arising from the original incident. Anything said in court is fair game for the prosecutor to use to amend present charges or file further charges against the defendant or those who speak up in his behalf.

At the bond reduction hearing, private counsel can participate, but because no Public Defender is available, defendants usually appear without counsel. The States Attorney explains to the judge why this particular offense warrants a particular bail, and recites the defendant's criminal and arrest record to the judge. The defendant will be given a chance to respond to the recommendation, but usually the State's Attorney gets the bail he suggests.

Snipped:
BAIL DETERMINATION FACTORS

The judge considers the severity of the offense and the defendant's criminal record when deciding how high to set bail, but certain other factors are available to suggest lower bails. Among these are:

1.) Defendant's period of residence in the area. If he has been a lifelong resident of the County, his bond may be reduced based upon the expectation that the defendant is unlikely to move away during the criminal case.

2.) Defendant's ties to the area. If he has many family members in the area, he may be considering the effect on his family should he flee the jurisdiction, and if he does, he'll probably return sometime, and be rearrested.

3.) Employment history. The guy with the same job all his life is unlikely to voluntarily leave that job because of the criminal charges.

4.) Property in the area. Defendants with financial ties to the area can usually be depended upon to remain here to care for their property.

5.) Financial obligations. Defendants whose flight from the jurisdiction would result in foreclosure of a mortgage, or default on a loan, have great incentive to comply with the terms of bail.

6.) Family dependants. Likewise, if others depend upon the defendant for their support, flight is unlikely.

7.) Special circumstances. Such as family members with extraordinary medical needs or hospitalized immediate family members.

If you get the opportunity to visit with a jailed loved one before the bail hearing, go over this list with him. Remember that there will be no attorney to speak for the defendant unless private counsel has been retained and can get to court before the first appearance. If the bond amount requested by the State's Attorney is excessive, the defendant may be given the right to respond to the State's request for bond.

Oftentimes, a concerned family member in the audience who respectfully asks the judge for the opportunity to address the court, might be permitted to help the defendant explain his financial predicament to the court. The judge needs information to believe that the defendant is solidly committed to the community and will not flee the jurisdiction if released on bail. Tell the judge every reason you can for him to release the defendant if you are given the opportunity to speak in the defendant's behalf -- but say nothing to incriminate him about this arrest or any other, and be respectful!

Snipped:
BOND REDUCTIONS

When the court sets bond (and bail), the amount can be reduced later. If an attorney files the appropriate motion, and can convince the court usually of information not presented when bail was originally set, the court can reduce bail. If a request for bond reduction is denied by the judge, don't expect him to change his mind later unless the defendant presents important new reasons to be released.

In regards to faxing a copy of Brittney's Missing Persons poster to all of the truck stops, maybe somebody could consider Faxability. I had it at my old job & it's fast, plus several faxes can be sent at the same time. It's not expensive. It's all done through the computer. One would just have to pull into a link for the Missing poster, attach and then send. Literally - it's that simple.

Very glad to see new members!

39626,xcitefun-welcome.gif

I am a little confused...
There is only 1 victim (brave hero) who came forward (as of now) and it was after BW disappeared and this lead to the arrests of DK and RSW.
The police had been investigating abuse allegations for the past 4 months.
And only DH had been questioned by police about this before the arrests.

Regarding BW...IMO meth changes your boundaries so I do not find it hard to believe BW took off and hasn't been in contact with CW. I think her child and her family are very important to her but with meth use things tend to get overshadowed by the need to get high. And it wouldnt be hard to stay away and out of touch IMO with all the stuff going on in her family.

I'm confused, too! So it was DH and DH only (not DK or RSW) under investigation for 4 months, and after he died someone came forward? Why was he under investigation for the past 4 months, then? The whole "he was arrested for what he reported" makes me wonder, then, if RSW reported DH 4 months ago??

Found this fwiw... This link refers to IL but can still be used for reference.

http://www.fcnetwork.org/reading/illinois.html

Respectfully snipped. There was a lot of good information in the link that you provided, but it didn't really get into the confession angle. I am still searching, but everything that I have read so far implies that a confession keeps you in jail with no bail or bond until court proceedings reach the plea stage. The exceptions that I have found all indicate that the prisoner would be released on a special program like house arrest or have to wear an ankle monitor while they are awaiting those proceedings. But, in those cases bail doesn't apply.

The more that I dig into the legal end of this, the more baffled I get as to why bail was set for both of them, not to mention why both of them are out of jail.

I hope that the victim is being shielded from some of this information because I can't imagine how difficult it is for a juvenile victim to understand the legal process on top of everything else.

Found this... Omg I'm still trying to figure out their tactic & train of thought, so frustrating...

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/...n=display_arch&article_id=770&issue_id=122005

Understanding the Psychology of Child Molesters: A Key to Getting Confessions
By Tom O'Connor, Chief of Police, and William Carson, Captain, Maryland Heights, Missouri, Police Department

Snipped:
If a complaint came in to your agency alleging that a popular school teacher, a youth pastor, a Little League coach, or a previously convicted predator like Duncan had been molesting children in your community, are you confident that your investigators have the training and skills necessary to interview that suspect and get a full confession? These can be intense, high-profile cases. The suspect might be a prominent citizen, a pillar of the community. The reality is that in most child sexual abuse cases, the offender is someone who is known and trusted not only by the victim but also by the victim's family.

Child sexual abuse exists in every community and at all levels of society, but allegations of molestation can sometimes be divisive for a community. Some people refuse to believe that the accused is capable of such a crime. It is not unheard of for parents, friends, and coworkers to rally in support of the suspect, proclaim his innocence and even post his bond.

These can be extremely difficult cases to investigate. Often there is little or no physical evidence and no witnesses, only a child's allegation that molestation has occurred. With these cases, the suspect interview can be the most critical stage of the investigation. The outcome of the interview can mean the difference between a successful prosecution and the release of the suspect to continue molesting other innocent children. There is nothing that solidifies a case and quiets the dissenters more than a detailed written or videotaped confession from the sexual abuser.

Snipped:
Getting the Confession
Getting a full confession is crucial. There is a difference between an admission and a confession. An admission is a partial acknowledgment of the facts of the crime. A confession contains a description of all the elements of the crime. A good investigator can bring closure to many other crimes by being thorough during the interview process and not being too quick to accept a suspect's assertions that this was his first and only victim.

(More at link)

I'm ready to know more about the "iceberg." I wish LE would get on with it.

I'm taking a break from all this today. My kids are starting to think I've lost it.

I am really irritated that a credible sighting of a young woman looking very much like BW isn't being taken seriously. The same person is trying to get the missing poster faxed to this particular truck stop because that is the area where this young woman was seen!

So unless family has an idea (as I still believe MOO) that BW is no longer with us, why are they so lackadaisical per their communication TO me?!

Hope I have not broken TOS, and I have NOT mentioned WS in any return conversation.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

dillysmom, you did the right thing. Be proud of yourself. Don't let it get to you. Seriously.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

When was the exact date that the reward/search fund was set up? Does anyone have the info on what bank, etc? Is a lawyer handling it? Are there stipulations in place where receipts would be utilized (for accounting purposes) in order to withdrawal funds to search and/or buy info? Can the funds be used for anything else?

There is a short post on the search FB page. It does state the bank but gives little other information. Sorry, I don't have the date of that post as I'm not looking at it currently. Hopefully, they are getting donations but without fundraisers, getting the word out beyond a short, vague post, I fear sufficient funds are not being raised.

No, the first time I ever heard about DK was when I saw the arrests in the news. I'm pretty sure they didn't hang out but of course I can't be 100% sure.

Thanks. Is it also your understanding that it was NOT RSW who provided a confession? Reading between the lines, it seems he is maintaining his innocence at this point. Thanks for your input. It has been difficult just keeping straight who's who.

I'm confused, too! So it was DH and DH only (not DK or RSW) under investigation for 4 months, and after he died someone came forward? Why was he under investigation for the past 4 months, then? The whole "he was arrested for what he reported" makes me wonder, then, if RSW reported DH 4 months ago??
I am confused on all that too. I know DH had been interviewed and was to have another interview the day he committed suicide, and that the investigation has been going on for a while.

I am not for sure if other info is coming straight from LE's recorded interviews or from news stories. You have reporters who get facts messed up, so I only trust them to a certain point on some details. A live press release/update from LE would be nice.

I would research this myself right now, but I thought today was Wed. until my husband corrected me. Like Dillysmom, I am too immersed in this case. I need to pack to go out of town tonight and all I can think about is not being able to be online. I swore I'd never get involved in another case after Caylee's...but here I am.

Respectfully snipped. There was a lot of good information in the link that you provided, but it didn't really get into the confession angle. I am still searching, but everything that I have read so far implies that a confession keeps you in jail with no bail or bond until court proceedings reach the plea stage. The exceptions that I have found all indicate that the prisoner would be released on a special program like house arrest or have to wear an ankle monitor while they are awaiting those proceedings. But, in those cases bail doesn't apply.

The more that I dig into the legal end of this, the more baffled I get as to why bail was set for both of them, not to mention why both of them are out of jail.

I hope that the victim is being shielded from some of this information because I can't imagine how difficult it is for a juvenile victim to understand the legal process on top of everything else.

I have never heard that a confession automatically means no bail. Confessions can be attacked by defense attorneys no different than eyewitness testimony. For example that it was signed or given under duress, that the person wasn't competent to at the time and so forth. A confession COULD persuade a judge to deny bail, or the judge can set the bail amount and put added terms and conditions to his bail such as those things you listed, house arrest, GPS, surrendering passports/drivers licenses etc...

Individuals, including these two, are allowed out of prison because our criminal justice system is founded on the presumption that they are, in fact, innocent until proven guilty. The purpose of the bond isn't so much related to their innocence or guilt as it is there to ensure they appear in Court as instructed and don't abscond. That is why bond is higher for more serious crimes. The more at stake, the more likely someone is to run, thus the bond requirements are higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member