Deceased/Not Found AL - Carla Corley, 14, Birmingham, 12 Aug 1980

Hot case

though carla is hot leads/ and has been, i personally understand why one use the word cold, however it is a harsh word to hear when one places that word in front of a child's name. Please help me get carla's story out there out bring the truth out and not only closure and peace, but help others to learn by this. Thanks from someone who loves her very much and so wants this not to happen to you too!

I went to Arthur School with Carla, off of Carson Road. I think I was 2 years behind her, but sometimes kids from other grades and special needs would go to different classes in different grades. That is where I met her. I grew up in that area and when I saw her picture I recognized her and her name. The back ground of the picture is the same as mine. Mrs. Martin was the teacher at the time. She would just come in for that class and then go back with the kids in her grade. (If I remember correctly) It has been a while. She seemed to be quiet and kind of shy. She would have been in the 4th or 5th grade when I met her. Did she go to Arthur through the 8th grade? Only 14, did you go to Arthur?

IF YOU ONLY KNEW THE TRUTH TO WHAT YOU SAY, HOWEVER AS FAR AS THE INFO YOU READ REGARDING MEN A WEEK/DAYS PRIOR, WHEN WAS THAT TOLD? THINK ABOUT IT.:furious:

Fourteen,
I am trying to understand what you are saying. Earlier you mentioned that actual date was 8/8/80. Are you saying that is the date they took her?

I just wanted to pop in to this thread and let you know that I was here. for moral support. I'm so sorry to hear of this little girl's story, and I hope that some day justice will be served to whoever hurt her, and that her body is laid to rest appropriately. Your love for her shines through. My sister has been missing since 11/30/1980 - and while I'm certainly not the only relative, i'm the only relative in the thread - and as far as I know, the only relative still looking. xox I feel your pain, and I so hope you get the answers you seek.

VERY MUCH LOVED AND AM SHOUTING JUSTICE FOR HER AND THE OTHERS, AND THANK YOU FOR ALL WHO POST, AND TGIF/WEBSLEUTH, LADY I CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR GIVING A CARE, FOR A VOICE FOR THOSE WHO CAN NOT SPEAK TO US NOW, THANKSSSSS SO MUCH, GRATEFUL :great:

what is most terrifying about this case is that these men, who have never been named, went on to live the past thirty years doing god knows what to god knows who. I simply cannot believe what this poor little girl must have endured during that attack, and during the possible subsequent one that had her vanish. Justice for carla. I hope someone in the media picks this up someday and gives her the attention she deserves.

yes yes yes it is time they do! Help me yell it! There is so much on both sides of that fence, the public as i am would be outraged , however people like to keep that hidden for they do want it to be known of what all has gone on, it will take the one with courage to print the truth of all. It is horrific.

My god what happened to Carla was truly awful, my heart goes out to her family.

It is not known if the previous attack is related to Corley's disappearance
They have got to be kidding right?

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/18558388/birm...ed-carla-corley

Birmingham's coldest case: what happened to Carla Corley?
Posted: May 18, 2012 5:30 PM EDT
Updated: May 18, 2012 5:36 PM EDT
By Melanie Posey -

An undated family photo of Carla.

Carla's sister, Cat Poe, has never given up the search for her younger sister. Source: WBRC videoBIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - Today, it's known as La Quemada but in the summer of 1980, everyone knew the area as the Eastwood Projects. It was a public housing project located at the corner of the airport where Carla Rebeca Corley lived with her mother.

That August, the 14-year-old was looking forward to her 7th grade year in junior high school.

"Carla was very intellectual, sweet, giving. That's the greatest thing I remember about Carla is her being so giving," Carla's older sister, Cat Poe, said.

The two sisters were close, even though Poe had moved out of the house by the time Carla was a teenager. She says every night Carla would call her at a certain time.

So on the night of August 8, when Poe's phone didn't ring she called her mother's house and asked to speak to her sister.

"I was told she wasn't there, she was at a friend's house," Poe said.

When Carla didn't call the next day, Poe says she called back and the next day as well.

On the fourth day, she was confused and frustrated when she finally called police and met a detective at her mother's house.

"Carla's mother explained that she and Carla was there. They had just washed some dishes and Carla's mother went to bed and Carla was up watching TV," Sergeant Sam Noblitt said.

Carla's mother told police that a few hours later the sound of the TV having gone off the air awakened her.

When she went into the room Carla had been in, the girl's shoes we still there but Carla was gone. Chairs were overturned as was a soda bottle and the door was standing wide open.

Poe remembers hearing her mother explain the story.

"It was very traumatic experience. I was wondering where she was. What I was feeling was Carla's gone. She's dead. I knew something bad had happened to her because there's no way Carla went that many days without talking to me.

"I believe I have the truth of what happened to Carla and no I don't like it. It was injust. It was injust. She wasn't deserving of those things. No one is deserving of that," Poe said.

Police took a report and began investigating. Poe began doing the same.

"I contacted jails, I would call hospitals, I went door to door in the neighborhood. I started there," Poe said." Knocking on doors asking people questions."

It wasn't long before she began hearing stories that a few days before Carla went missing, a group of men had kidnapped her, taken her to Lake Purdy and raped her before bringing her back home.

Investigators thought that when Carla went missing a second time, that she had been kidnapped and raped again, but this time, killed.

They were investigating several other cases throughout the city that had a similar scenario

"Why would someone have done that to her? What I was told is it's because of what she seen. I was told Carla seen something that could get these people convicted," Poe said.

For three years she searched for clues, continuously calling police about Carla's case but had no concrete answers until one day a new investigator was assigned to the case.

Yhey'd never heard of Carla Corley or her case and it took a week to find what turned out to be a one page incident report half hidden in a closed case file.

"It's my understanding info had come in that the person was seen around green track in south alabama and she was well and she was doing what she wanted to do and was just a runaway," said an investigator close to the case, but who did not want to give their identity.

"And when I got a call that this case was closed I was like there's no way. Who, what, when, where, how?" Poe asked.

It was another jerk on the emotional roller coaster Cat Poe had been on for several years. As police reopened the case, she continued trying to find answers on her own.

A few years later, Carla's mother had her declared legally dead and few years after that, a would be suspect told investigators he knew what happened to Carla but later recanted his story.

Based on tips, police have conducted several excavations, hoping to find Carla's remains, the most recent was from 2005.

But now, almost 32 years since Carla Corley went missing, there are still no suspects in the case.

"I have a suspect in mind however, I lack sufficient evidence to file charges or make a public accusation," Sgt. Noblitt said. "We know there are people out there who could close this case for us and find Carla but they're either afraid to come forward and in some case, they may be culpable in her disappearance."

To those who are afraid, Cat Poe sends this message.

"Set yourself free. The truth is what's really going to release them and let this be over for Carla."

i just wanted to pop in to this thread and let you know that i was here. For moral support. I'm so sorry to hear of this little girl's story, and i hope that some day justice will be served to whoever hurt her, and that her body is laid to rest appropriately. Your love for her shines through. My sister has been missing since 11/30/1980 - and while i'm certainly not the only relative, i'm the only relative in the thread - and as far as i know, the only relative still looking. Xox i feel your pain, and i so hope you get the answers you seek.

thanks, i am so sorry you understand the pain and thank you for the words, you will understand when i say this (there are no words) i am same as you with the family situation is what i meant and more which i can't expand on at this time. Dito, xox

I went to Arthur School with Carla, off of Carson Road. I think I was 2 years behind her, but sometimes kids from other grades and special needs would go to different classes in different grades. That is where I met her. I grew up in that area and when I saw her picture I recognized her and her name. The back ground of the picture is the same as mine. Mrs. Martin was the teacher at the time. She would just come in for that class and then go back with the kids in her grade. (If I remember correctly) It has been a while. She seemed to be quiet and kind of shy. She would have been in the 4th or 5th grade when I met her. Did she go to Arthur through the 8th grade? Only 14, did you go to Arthur?

The background in her picture is similuar to most for reason of photographer, however Carla did attened Arthur Knights in the 4th grade, who are you?

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/18558388/birm...ed-carla-corley

Birmingham's coldest case: what happened to Carla Corley?
Posted: May 18, 2012 5:30 PM EDT
Updated: May 18, 2012 5:36 PM EDT
By Melanie Posey -

An undated family photo of Carla.

Carla's sister, Cat Poe, has never given up the search for her younger sister. Source: WBRC videoBIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - Today, it's known as La Quemada but in the summer of 1980, everyone knew the area as the Eastwood Projects. It was a public housing project located at the corner of the airport where Carla Rebeca Corley lived with her mother.

That August, the 14-year-old was looking forward to her 7th grade year in junior high school.

"Carla was very intellectual, sweet, giving. That's the greatest thing I remember about Carla is her being so giving," Carla's older sister, Cat Poe, said.

The two sisters were close, even though Poe had moved out of the house by the time Carla was a teenager. She says every night Carla would call her at a certain time.

So on the night of August 8, when Poe's phone didn't ring she called her mother's house and asked to speak to her sister.

"I was told she wasn't there, she was at a friend's house," Poe said.

When Carla didn't call the next day, Poe says she called back and the next day as well.

On the fourth day, she was confused and frustrated when she finally called police and met a detective at her mother's house.

"Carla's mother explained that she and Carla was there. They had just washed some dishes and Carla's mother went to bed and Carla was up watching TV," Sergeant Sam Noblitt said.

Carla's mother told police that a few hours later the sound of the TV having gone off the air awakened her.

When she went into the room Carla had been in, the girl's shoes we still there but Carla was gone. Chairs were overturned as was a soda bottle and the door was standing wide open.

Poe remembers hearing her mother explain the story.

"It was very traumatic experience. I was wondering where she was. What I was feeling was Carla's gone. She's dead. I knew something bad had happened to her because there's no way Carla went that many days without talking to me.

"I believe I have the truth of what happened to Carla and no I don't like it. It was injust. It was injust. She wasn't deserving of those things. No one is deserving of that," Poe said.

Police took a report and began investigating. Poe began doing the same.

"I contacted jails, I would call hospitals, I went door to door in the neighborhood. I started there," Poe said." Knocking on doors asking people questions."

It wasn't long before she began hearing stories that a few days before Carla went missing, a group of men had kidnapped her, taken her to Lake Purdy and raped her before bringing her back home.

Investigators thought that when Carla went missing a second time, that she had been kidnapped and raped again, but this time, killed.

They were investigating several other cases throughout the city that had a similar scenario

"Why would someone have done that to her? What I was told is it's because of what she seen. I was told Carla seen something that could get these people convicted," Poe said.

For three years she searched for clues, continuously calling police about Carla's case but had no concrete answers until one day a new investigator was assigned to the case.

Yhey'd never heard of Carla Corley or her case and it took a week to find what turned out to be a one page incident report half hidden in a closed case file.

"It's my understanding info had come in that the person was seen around green track in south alabama and she was well and she was doing what she wanted to do and was just a runaway," said an investigator close to the case, but who did not want to give their identity.

"And when I got a call that this case was closed I was like there's no way. Who, what, when, where, how?" Poe asked.

It was another jerk on the emotional roller coaster Cat Poe had been on for several years. As police reopened the case, she continued trying to find answers on her own.

A few years later, Carla's mother had her declared legally dead and few years after that, a would be suspect told investigators he knew what happened to Carla but later recanted his story.

Based on tips, police have conducted several excavations, hoping to find Carla's remains, the most recent was from 2005.

But now, almost 32 years since Carla Corley went missing, there are still no suspects in the case.

"I have a suspect in mind however, I lack sufficient evidence to file charges or make a public accusation," Sgt. Noblitt said. "We know there are people out there who could close this case for us and find Carla but they're either afraid to come forward and in some case, they may be culpable in her disappearance."

To those who are afraid, Cat Poe sends this message.

"Set yourself free. The truth is what's really going to release them and let this be over for Carla."

curiosity? hmm wonder who you are?

Hello to all of You who are REAL about Carla and the others, I have been away from computer for awhile due to work and....., then trying to get all in order for the end at hand for those who watch the air time for Carla remember that is the un-cut verision, and I sincerely want all that have spoke out for Carla, voiced for justice for real, not out of curiosity, Thank You for your concerns and prayers, keep it up is working, I pray the same for Judy. The end/closure is at hand, justice does previal. Will check back in more often now to answer and inform those who are for real pulling for the ATEAM FOR CARLA!!!

Carla, God's mercy and grace and justice is Yours and You are worthy, so I thank THE FATHER IN JESUS NAME IN ADVANCE IT IS DONE, JUSTICE DOES PREVAIL HE IS THE WAY. THANK YOU LORD FOR YOUR MERCY, AND FAVOR IN CLOSURE FOR CARLA, AMEN

Carla, God's mercy and grace and justice is Yours and You are worthy, so I thank THE FATHER IN JESUS NAME IN ADVANCE IT IS DONE, JUSTICE DOES PREVAIL HE IS THE WAY. THANK YOU LORD FOR YOUR MERCY, AND FAVOR IN CLOSURE FOR CARLA, AMEN

I'm sorry for the decades of loss time you were unable to share with Carla.
This is not the news I would like to write to you, but have you checked out the LA Jane Doe? She was found on Nov.5,1980 with an estimated time of death as 2 months. They gave Jane Doe an estimated age range of 15-19, but I see similarites along with the description and timing plus LA isn't that far.
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/1879

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back