GUILTY AL - Kelci Lewis, 1, beaten to death, Birmingham, 11 Oct 2015

I find it quite ironic that the mother could post a $15,000.00 bond ($1,500.00 in cash) in 90 minutes, but couldn't hire a proper babysitter?

I don't care how mature an 8-year-old appears to be... they are not capable of being the primary care taker of any child for a long period of time... let alone that many children. Especially so many toddlers and a 1-year-old baby! I also believe that the behavior the 8-year-old displayed towards Kelci was learned. That child had probably been beat themselves... and seen the other children beat as well. That child would not be able to grasp how fragile a one-year-old baby is and probably mocked what had been done to him and the other children.

I am not comfortable with this child being charged. I am all for BOTH mothers being charged. I do believe the child needs serious counseling and a good and loving home. I really hope something can be done to help. I also pray for the other children. What a horrible situation for all of them.

I also don't believe those mother's got home at 2:00am.
BBM
This was my thinking, too, Lola. And I can't imagine what those other children who witnessed Kelci's death will have to live with. I hope they will all get counseling.

I think it's not possible for a reasonable person to believe that was the "first" time Katerra Lewis, or the homeowner, left those kids home alone. Katerra Lewis also has other kids--Police Lt. Sean Edwards confirms that twice in response to reporter's questions.

Lt. Edwards said KL turned herself in, and was cooperating, as far as he knew.

He also postulated that the women may have been counting on the kids falling asleep and staying asleep while they were out-- but he also acknowledged that the kids were all awake when the 2 women left. That means that none of the kids under age 8 had a reasonable, age appropriate bedtime, IMO. The kids probably just fall asleep wherever they are. Lack of appropriate parenting. Children left to raise themselves, with maybe a little food provided, and a video game system or movie for a babysitter. All too common in a lot of communities nowadays. And IMO, we can't "fix" this problem-- women having lots of children, no one properly supervising them, or raising them, and the adults too immature, selfish, and/ or criminal to care about the children. Every community in America has irresponsible adults like this.

The "no bedtime" thing is increasingly common, according to my elementary teacher friends who have taught public school for 20-30 years. Every year they each have a couple kids who routinely fall asleep during seat work time-- kids who are chronically sleepy. They say these kids often describe falling asleep watching a movie on a sofa or the floor on a school night. Many of these kids have never had a bedtime or a bedtime routine. The teachers report the sleepiness to the school social worker, and try to reach the parents to let them know, but they both say they have never once had a parent who they reached with the "falling asleep in class" news, that was the least bit worried about it, or took it seriously. Some were angry or annoyed with the teacher for "criticizing" them. And the sleepiness thing isn't serious enough to warrant a report to county social services unless there are other, more serious issues. IMO, the chronic "no bedtime" thing is a big red flag for a lot of inappropriate parenting behavior.

But again-- I don't think negligent or inappropriate parenting can be "fixed". I don't think it's a matter of a few parenting classes or some CPS visits-- it's a much deeper and broader set of social and emotional problems that lead to that.

I feel so sad for all the kids conceived and born into these bad social situations, to negligent parents. I wish there was something we could do.

I think it's not possible for a reasonable person to believe that was the "first" time Katerra Lewis, or the homeowner, left those kids home alone. Katerra Lewis also has other kids--Police Lt. Sean Edwards confirms that twice in response to reporter's questions.

He also postulated that the women may have been counting on the kids falling asleep and staying asleep while they were out-- but he also acknowledged that the kids were all awake when the 2 women left. That means that none of the kids under age 8 had a reasonable, age appropriate bedtime, IMO. The kids probably just fall asleep wherever they are. Lack of appropriate parenting. Children left to raise themselves, with maybe a little food provided, and a video game system or movie for a babysitter. All too common in a lot of communities nowadays. And IMO, we can't "fix" this problem-- women having lots of children, no one properly supervising them, or raising them, and the adults too immature, selfish, and/ or criminal to care about the children. Every community in America has irresponsible adults like this.

The "no bedtime" thing is increasingly common, according to my elementary teacher friends who have taught public school for 20-30 years. Every year they each have a couple kids who routinely fall asleep during seat work time-- kids who are chronically sleepy. They say these kids often describe falling asleep watching a movie on a sofa or the floor on a school night. Many of these kids have never had a bedtime or a bedtime routine. The teachers report the sleepiness to the school social worker, and try to reach the parents to let them know, but they both say they have never once had a parent who they reached with the "falling asleep in class" news, that was the least bit worried about it, or took it seriously. Some were angry or annoyed with the teacher for "criticizing" them. And the sleepiness thing isn't serious enough to warrant a report to county social services unless there are other, more serious issues. IMO, the chronic "no bedtime" thing is a big red flag for a lot of inappropriate parenting behavior.

But again-- I don't think negligent or inappropriate parenting can be "fixed". I don't think it's a matter of a few parenting classes or some CPS visits-- it's a much deeper and broader set of social and emotional problems that lead to that.

I feel so sad for all the kids conceived and born into these bad social situations, to negligent parents. I wish there was something we could do.
:goodpost:

BBM. I totally agree with everything you said, and as a local, so does everyone else around here. People are livid. Just to add, "mom" must have broke her piggy bank for the bond money because there's a gofund me account set up for baby Kelci's funeral arrangements. *Disgusted*

All these "accounts" being made to raise funds for "individual" cases need to stop. I agree that Kelci should have a proper funeral/burial (it's not her fault), but I think people really need to donate straight to the funeral home/cemetery in cases like these. I know a lot of funeral homes/cemetery's go "out of pocket" to give proper burials for those who cannot afford it and they have gone out of business because they are so passionate about it.

I have a certain percentage taken out of my paycheck to donate to my charity of choice, but I am thinking about changing it to a local funeral home/cemetery. Just because I know how much they want to help people who cannot afford the costs.

My heart literally aches for Kelci. Poor baby probably suffered tremendously before she was at peace. My heart literally aches for the 8-year-old child too. If he was "troubled", it is my opinion (based on the MOTHER'S actions), stemmed from years and years of abuse this child had to endure himself.

I really hope he can be saved.

R.I.P. Kelci... I am so sorry.

What a wonderful post!

I agree 100% and unfortunately, I do not have the answers. I really wish I did.

The 8 year old must have experienced violence himself. He probably thought this was how you "deal" with children and conflict in general. )-:

I searched but could not find a thread for this very sad case. If there is one already please delete this one. Thanks!

In a nutshell, an 8 year old boy was left in charge of (amongst 4 other young children) 1 year old Kelci Devine Lewis, while mom went out clubbing with a friend. Because Kelci wouldn't stop crying he beat her. When mom came back home she did not check on the kids. She found the girl unresponsive the next morning and called police around 10:30am. Kelci died from head trauma and internal injuries.

The boy has been charged with murder, the victim's mother, Katerra Lewis, has been charged with manslaughter.

This case makes me extremely sad and angry. Imagining the poor girl lying there for hours in pain and no one came to help her. :tears: What was this mother thinking??

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...e-beating-death-ala-toddler-article-1.2430617

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/boy-8-charged-beating-baby-6815229

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/11/boy_8_charged_with_murder_in_t.html

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/11/us/alabama-boy-murder-charge/

Apparently this happened in mid-October.

The 8 year old must have experienced violence himself. He probably thought this was how you "deal" with children and conflict in general. )-:

That was my first thought as well. So sad.

DA confirms 8-year-old accused of toddler's murder won't be charged as an adult

"In Alabama, juvenile law operates under the premise that the primary goal for each child charged with a delinquent act, whether that act is a minor misdemeanor or a violent felony, is to see that the child receives the care or guidance needed in order to benefit the child. This may involve individual or family counseling, psychiatric services, drug recovery, or other individualized therapeutic programs designed to rehabilitate the child," he continued.

https://www.facebook.com/WBRCnews/posts/10156211359910293?comment_id=10156211403100293&offset=0&total_comments=19&notif_t=share_comment

I don't know what sort of rehabilitation they will get for this child. In patient treatment is few and far between, particularly for the length of time I'm imagining this child would need.

I don't know what sort of rehabilitation they will get for this child. In patient treatment is few and far between, particularly for the length of time I'm imagining this child would need.
What this child so desperately needs is habilitation -- learning skills he was never taught to begin with. There are children's homes that deal with aggressive children, but not sure this would be the best environment because I've heard that there is much abuse in some of these places. I don't know if a children's home would offer long-term treatment or only short-term.

The mother is now denying the children were left without adult supervision.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent-nightclub-denies-children-left-alone.html

In that case, why did an adult sit by while one child beat another child to death, to the point where there were severe internal injuries as well as major head trauma? If an adult was indeed present, I hope the police are really looking into the person and his or her activities at the time of the murder.

There are children's homes that deal with aggressive children,

Respectfully snipped

I don't know if this child was aggressive.
They might just have done what they thought was the common accepted thing to do when someone does not behave the way they like: Beat them up until they're quiet.
Learned from mom and dad.
idk, but sounds like it. jmo
Mother of Kelci doesn't look like she knows what a brain is. Or has never been near one.
Again, imo.

Respectfully snipped

They might just have done what they thought was the common accepted thing to do when someone does not behave the way they like: Beat them up until they're quiet.
Mother of Kelci doesn't look like she knows what a brain is. Or has never been near one.
Again, imo.

I agree. Kids don't need to be hit to learn how to hit. That does seem to be an innate thing with some, if not many, kids -- sort of like some kids just start biting on their own. But in THIS particular case, I really do wonder if the kids were hit fairly frequently (pure speculation on my part) and this boy was simply doing what he'd seen or experienced.

The mother is now denying the children were left without adult supervision.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent-nightclub-denies-children-left-alone.html

In that case, why did an adult sit by while one child beat another child to death, to the point where there were severe internal injuries as well as major head trauma? If an adult was indeed present, I hope the police are really looking into the person and his or her activities at the time of the murder.

From multiple comments from multiple articles, the mom, KL is going with the story the children where left with an 18yr old babysitter, who then left the apartment. The second mom, and mother of the 8yr hasn't made any public statement yet. I was wondering, if you guys think it's possible LE are believing this story, even though they haven't made any mention of this person, and perhaps that is why the 2nd mom hasn't been charged with anything and the bond was so low on KL's charge? Also, if this 3rd person does exist, do you think charges can be brought against her?

From multiple comments from multiple articles, the mom, KL is going with the story the children where left with an 18yr old babysitter, who then left the apartment. The second mom, and mother of the 8yr hasn't made any public statement yet. I was wondering, if you guys think it's possible LE are believing this story, even though they haven't made any mention of this person, and perhaps that is why the 2nd mom hasn't been charged with anything and the bond was so low on KL's charge? Also, if this 3rd person does exist, do you think charges can be brought against her?

Oh, so Kelci's mom is going to take the "Imaginary Nanny" route?

Here's my issue with the "babysitter" story. Let's say both mother's really did get home at 2:00am? Where was the "babysitter" when they got home? It's not like there was an "extra" bedroom for this "babysitter" to sleep in, so wouldn't they notice she was gone and immediately check on their children?

Oh, so Kelci's mom is going to take the "Imaginary Nanny" route?

Here's my issue with the "babysitter" story. Let's say both mother's really did get home at 2:00am? Where was the "babysitter" when they got home? It's not like there was an "extra" bedroom for this "babysitter" to sleep in, so wouldn't they notice she was gone and immediately check on their children?

Yeah it doesn't hold up, and I doubt anyone is going to give any credence to that story.
I think her facebook quote (the mother's) which was included in a mainstream media story (link below) says it all really. Not even a hint of regret for her actions or letting her daughter down as her guardian. Only that she'll miss her and how it's hurt her and her family.

"I’m still in shock over it all I willenver forget u I will nevr stop luving u there will never be another Kelci Lewis in dis world dat make me feel like u did ima miss seeing dat pretty smile hearing ur voice calling myu name non step hear dem lil feet running around da house baby girl ur missed ur loved … i juz wanna kno y dey took u from me not only did dey hurt me by taken u but our hole family and real friends r hurt.”

http://heavy.com/news/2015/11/kelci...eath-dead-club-facebook-twitter-photos-vigil/

Yeah it doesn't hold up, and I doubt anyone is going to give any credence to that story.
I think her facebook quote (the mother's) which was included in a mainstream media story (link below) says it all really. Not even a hint of regret for her actions or letting her daughter down as her guardian. Only that she'll miss her and how it's hurt her and her family.

"I’m still in shock over it all I willenver forget u I will nevr stop luving u there will never be another Kelci Lewis in dis world dat make me feel like u did ima miss seeing dat pretty smile hearing ur voice calling myu name non step hear dem lil feet running around da house baby girl ur missed ur loved … i juz wanna kno y dey took u from me not only did dey hurt me by taken u but our hole family and real friends r hurt.”

http://heavy.com/news/2015/11/kelci...eath-dead-club-facebook-twitter-photos-vigil/

Besides the atrocious slaughtering of the English language, it's odd to me that she worded it like this. It comes off as if someone kidnapped the child, instead of her negligently putting the baby in harms way. And if she's speaking of 'dey' as being a Higher Power, it's very unusual here, deep in the bible belt, that she doesn't say God. Maybe she had more sense than to call Him out on an act she set in motion. moo

Respectfully snipped

Again, imo.
Whether the 8-year-old was aggressive by nature or by nurture, he is still aggressive and that appears to be the concern of prosecutors. JMO, drawing on my work in the past in behavior modification with mentally challenged populations, negative behaviors can only be extinguished by replacing them with positive behaviors. Children learn what they live, so the behaviors they are mimicking must be unlearned through positive reinforcement of appropriate behaviors. It will take intense therapy for this child to unlearn what he has learned through imitation. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back