AL AL - Tuscaloosa Co, WhtFem 108UFAL, 30-40, near Sipsey River, Apr'82

Doe Network has gotten back to me and they will be sending the information of Judith Hofferman and Tuscaloosa County Jane Doe (1982) to their panel for comparison.
No one had ever suggested Judith for comparison to this Jane Doe. If it's proven to be a positive match, they will contact me further. Can anyone tell me how long this usually takes? A few months? A year?

Doe Network has gotten back to me and they will be sending the information of Judith Hofferman and Tuscaloosa County Jane Doe (1982) to their panel for comparison.
No one had ever suggested Judith for comparison to this Jane Doe. If it's proven to be a positive match, they will contact me further. Can anyone tell me how long this usually takes? A few months? A year?

Don't expect much. They may not even contact you. However, if they do then it could take several months.

I know of one case in NamUs where I found the missing person just using social media. I've reported that she's active in social media, that there are fresh pictures of her, and her case remains open at least from NamUs.

I can see what you are thinking with Judith Hofferman but I don't think it will be her because of the gap between Judith's disappearance and the date of the Jane Doe's discovery. It's physically possible of course but doesn't seem likely to me. Does anyone know if Judith had upper dentures? NamUs doesn't say anything and I think they would.

Last edited:
I think the Find-a-grave photo is for a different Jane Doe or 'Jayne' Doe. It lists a date of death as February 18th, 1982. That doesn't match the date of discovery or expected date of death between April 14th and 16th, 1982. Could be a typo carved in stone but it could be that it's a different Doe. I did notice another memorial at the same cemetery.

Mrs Unknown X (Unknown-1982) - Find A Grave...

I think the Find-a-grave photo is for a different Jane Doe or 'Jayne' Doe. It lists a date of death as February 18th, 1982. That doesn't match the date of discovery or expected date of death between April 14th and 16th, 1982. Could be a typo carved in stone but it could be that it's a different Doe. I did notice another memorial at the same cemetery.

Mrs Unknown X (Unknown-1982) - Find A Grave...
I’m not too sure about the dates being different, but it is the same photo as one of the ones on her Doe Network profile..

108UFAL

ETA: this could be another Doe. The narrative is more indicative of an April discovery rather than a February one. “On a Sunday morning in the spring of 1982”

I’m not too sure about the dates being different, but it is the same photo as one of the ones on her Doe Network profile..

108UFAL

ETA: this could be another Doe. The narrative is more indicative of an April discovery rather than a February one. “On a Sunday morning in the spring of 1982”

I read the journalism from the time of the discovery. She was found on April 18th by three fishermen and thought to have been dead for a maximum of four days. The February 18th, 1982 gravemarker doesn't make sense.

Clipping from The Montgomery Advertiser - Newspapers.com

Over a year later, has Judith been ruled out? NamUs was recently updated.

Over a year later, has Judith been ruled out? NamUs was recently updated.
Good question.
Doe Network never got back to me regarding the case. They sent their usual 'We'll contact you further if we think this is a match.' I'm looking on Namus right now and after a year, it shows that Judith has not been compared to Tuscaloosa. Doe Network must have a good reason for not sending in the suggestion. It's frustrating, though. Not going to lie.

Judith Hofferman's DNA has been compared to 10 UPs. All are cases from Virginia.
As for Tuscaloosa, 3 missing women have been ruled out. Sandra Matott, Andrea Coyle and Theresa Baxter.

Tuscaloosa County Jane Doe, 1982, murder victim, Romulus

On April 18, 1982, the body of a white female was discovered in Slaughter Creek near the Sipsey River in Romulus. Her age is estimated between 34 and 38. According to Sgt. Jeremy Franks with the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office, authorities exhumed the remains in 2013 for DNA testing that was unavailable in 1982. The victim had been beaten and strangled to death. She was about 5 feet, 4 inches tall and weighed about 110 pounds. She had dark-brown hair, brown eyes and a scar under her right eyebrow.

Click here to read her full profile on DoeNetwork.com.

Her remains are interred in Sunset Memorial Park in Northport. Anyone with information should contact Sgt. Franks at 205-752-0616 or the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences at 205-344-5420.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this Jane Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.

"Woman's body found," Selma Times-Journal, 20 April 1982, 1.
Woman's body found_ (1).jpg
An officer says a woman whose body was found by three fishermen Sunday had been dead about four days. The body of the 35-year-old woman was found near the Black Warrior River, and Tuscaloosa Homicide Chief Warren Miller said Monday she was beaten and strangled and there was evidence of a sexual attack.

"Officials try to identify 2 slain women," Birmingham Post-Herald, 20 April 1982, D3.
Officials try to identify 2 slain women_.jpg
Tuscaloosa County officials said yesterday a woman whose body was found Sunday on the banks of the Black Warrior River died of strangulation, had been beaten and might have been sexually assaulted. An autopsy indicated she had been dead about four days. The body was discovered by three fishermen about 10 miles southwest of Tuscaloosa. She was about 5-feet-4, 115 pounds and had brown eyes and shoulder-length black hair.

"Citizen aid sought," Birmingham Post-Herald, 24 April 1982, B6.
Citizen aid sought_.jpg
A homicide unit official pleaded for citizen help yesterday to provide leads in the sexual-mutilation death of an unidentified woman found Sunday near Fosters. Capt. Shirley Fields, assistant head of the Tuscaloosa County Homicide Unit, called the slaying "one of the most vicious attacks I have seen in 17 years" of police work. He said the homicide unit had no real suspects. The body of the white female, believed to be in her mid-30s, was found partially submerged in Slaughter Creek, where the small tributary feeds into the Warrior River at Robertson Bend, three-fourths of a mile off Dry Creek Road.

"Officials to bury unidentified woman," Anniston Star, 9 December 1982, 4D.
Officials to bury unidentified woman_.jpg
Tuscaloosa County officials planned a funeral today for a woman who was found beaten and strangled in the Black Warrior River last spring, even though investigators still don't know who she is.

[...]

The woman's age was estimated at 34 to 38, and investigators believed the body had been in the river two to four days before it was found near the Fosters community of Tuscaloosa County.

"Unknown woman buried Thursday," Montgomery Advertiser, 10 December 1982, B1.
Unknown woman buried Thursday_.jpg
Homicide investigators will keep the woman's jaw for possible identification later, [Sheriff Beasor] Walker said in the petition.

"4 Homicides Probed For Possible Links," Alabama Journal [Montgomery, AL], 27 October 1983, 5.
4 Homicides Probed For Possible Links_.jpg
Talladega County, Tuscaloosa and Mobile authorities told United Press International Wednesday that they were studying the unsolved murders to see if they can be tied to Henry Lee Lucas or Ottis Elwood Toole.

[...]

Tuscaloosa police homicide detectives have requested information about Lucas hoping for new evidence in the unsolved killing of a woman whose body was found near the Black Warrior River April 18.

Detective Mike Turner said so far no connection has been made. In both the Tuscaloosa and Talladega County cases, officials said Lucas is the more likely suspect, though they declined to say why.

screen-shot-2023-03-29-at-105003-am___29121522294.png
(Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit )
TUSCALOOSA, AL — The Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit has produced new facial images of a longstanding unsolved cold case of a woman who was found dead in the Fosters area of Tuscaloosa County on the Black Warrior River in April 1982.

According to a story written by former Tuscaloosa News reporter Ken Stickney at the beginning of the investigation, the woman's body was found partially submerged in Slaughter Creek on April 18 by three fishermen on Dry Creek Road near the Old Robinson Bend Landing.

An autopsy at the time said the woman — who would go on to become known locally as "Mrs. X" — had been strangled, beaten and sexually assaulted. More:

screen-shot-2023-03-29-at-105003-am___29121522294.png
(Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit )
TUSCALOOSA, AL — The Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit has produced new facial images of a longstanding unsolved cold case of a woman who was found dead in the Fosters area of Tuscaloosa County on the Black Warrior River in April 1982.

According to a story written by former Tuscaloosa News reporter Ken Stickney at the beginning of the investigation, the woman's body was found partially submerged in Slaughter Creek on April 18 by three fishermen on Dry Creek Road near the Old Robinson Bend Landing.

An autopsy at the time said the woman — who would go on to become known locally as "Mrs. X" — had been strangled, beaten and sexually assaulted. More:
1680133770734.png

Autopsy examination revealed that her death was criminal and she suffered extensive trauma," Kennedy said.

"Investigators spent a great deal of time searching missing person reports and publicizing this case, but were unable to identify the victim," Kennedy said. "The more recent investigation into her identity has included exhumation."

Kennedy said the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office has recently worked with the Forensic Anthropology and Computer Enhancement Services Lab at Louisiana State University to create new images of the victim by using the original 1982 photographs and medical records.

In April 1982, a deceased white female was found in the Fosters area of Tuscaloosa County on the Black Warrior River. The victim’s body was found in good condition and very near to the time of her death, likely within 24-48 hours. Autopsy examination revealed that her death was criminal, and she suffered extensive trauma. Color 35mm photographs were taken of her and these photographs were used at the time in an attempt to identify her. Investigators spent a great deal of time searching missing person reports, and publicizing this case, but were unable to identify the victim. The more recent investigation into her identity has included exhumation. The case has been investigated diligently, and has been revisited throughout the years, but the victim has never been identified.
Recently the Sheriff’s Office worked with the FACES Lab at Louisiana State University to create new images of the victim from the original photographs and medical records. The FACES Lab (Forensic Anthropology and Computer Enhancement Services) utilizes forensic imaging to create images of victims that are life-like, and more representative of how a victim would have actually appeared in life. The images provided are in both color and black and white. We are releasing these images to the public now in hopes that an acquaintance or family member may recognize the victim, so that she can be identified, and provide new leads into the investigation of her death.
The victim was a white female, 5’3” tall, with black/brown shoulder length hair, brown eyes and type “O” blood. She wore size 7 tennis shoes. The medical examiner reported that she previously been pregnant and/or given birth to a child sometime in her life.
If anyone believes that they recognize this victim, or has any information they believe may be relevant, please contact the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office at (205) 752-0616 or the Violent Crimes Unit at (205) 464-8690.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...CtTucMQOpYHk5RlDE57dFb2r9ted9egqJawLH_az8qtO8

1680309293744.png1680309304738.png

ABC 3340 News spoke with the director at LSU's FACES Lab, Forensic Anthropology and Computer Enhancement Services Laboratory, as they try to help identify the Jane Doe.

"There's a lot of artistry going into it," remarked FACES Lab Director Ginesse Listi, PhD. The forensic lab opened in 1980 building online data bases using DNA and bone samples. Identification of remains can lead to solving crimes and giving a family closure.

Cases can take six to eight weeks. Most they work are from Louisiana with a handful coming from out of state. Listi recalled one involving an unidentified child. "Her remains had been found plastic garbage bag and police didn't know who she was," said Listi.

The lab was able to make a clay model and from there leads came in with a potential name and the case was solved.

"As new technology comes along we want to try it again," explained Capt. Jack Kennedy with the Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit.

Tuscaloosa investigators connected with the FACES Lab to try and identify a Jane Doe case from 1982. The body was found in April of 1982 on the banks of the Black Warrior River in the Fosters area.

She was likely murdered within 24 to 48 hours of the discovery according to investigators. "The autopsy revealed she had been the victim of a ferocious assault," explained Kennedy.

Images created by the lab were able to give the victim a lifelike look. Old photos from the crime scene revealed eye and hair color. "We hope that is what she would look like in life and someone would recognize her," said Kennedy.

The white female victim was 5'3" with black/brown shoulder length hair, brown eyes, size seven shoe, and O blood type.

The medical examiner said there was evidence she had delivered a baby or been pregnant at some point.

Capt. Kennedy explained there was a lot of publicity on the case in 1982 and more about ten years ago. In the latest identification push her body was exhumed to collect more evidence.

Authorities believe it's unlikely she is from the local area with so much past publicity. She may not have been reported missing as times were different in the 80's with no cellphones and computer records..

Now with social media and updated data bases for the missing, they hope to make a connection.

Some possible matches --
Behdokht Behnia Pyke - #MP14658
Missing From: Miami Gardens, FL
Missing Age: 29
DLC: August 29, 1981
Height: 5'1" - 5'4" (61 - 64 inches)
Weight: 110 - 115 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Race/Ethnicity: White/Caucasian
Circumstances: No circumstances available.
behdokht_behnia_pyke_2.jpegScreen Shot 2023-04-11 at 9.27.59 PM.png

Irma Clouse Chavez - #MP50274
Missing From: Alpine, TX
Missing Age: 30
DLC: July 3, 1981
Height: 5'5" (65 inches)
Weight: 127 lbs
Race/Ethnicity: Hispanic/Latino
Circumstances: No circumstances available.
50274_241030.jpgScreen Shot 2023-04-11 at 9.27.59 PM.png

Vicki Lynn Maynard - #MP43314
Missing From: Union, OH
Missing Age: 26
DLC: April 1, 1981
Height: 5'5" (65 inches)
Weight: 140 lbs
Circumstances: The family reported that in early April of 1981 a deputy sheriff called her father indicating they were out with her on a pedestrian stop and would bring her home. Her father told the deputy she was not welcome at the house. This was the last known contact by the family.
43314_232331.jpgScreen Shot 2023-04-11 at 9.27.59 PM.png

Anna Therese Ciaccio - #MP2774
Missing From: Papillion, NE
Missing Age: 30
DLC: March 5, 1981
Height: 5'4" (64 inches)
Eye Color: Hazel
Circumstances: Ciaccio was last seen in Papillion, Nebraska on March 5, 1981. She had gone to spend the night at her brother's residence, and went missing from there. She left her winter coat and her wallet behind.

Although Ciaccio had dropped out of sight before, she would always contact her family within a few days to let them know she was all right. She is described as a very religious person who spent time in various churches and had even considered joining a convent. Her case remains unsolved. (per Charley Project)
2774_21038.jpgScreen Shot 2023-04-11 at 9.27.59 PM.png

Mrytle Lee June Williams - #MP12156
Missing From: Malvern, AR
Missing Age: 38
DLC: November 1, 1978
Height: 5'6" (66 inches)
Hair Color: Brown, shoulder-length
Eye Color: Unknown
Circumstances: Mrytle was last heard from when she telephoned her brother around November 1, 1978.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back