All things Joe Paterno

from your post coastal-

there is a certain karmic irony here. the Paterno's, half blind with the power crazed ego lust that propelled their dead patriarch, are duped into believing a transparently flawed "expert" investigation will magically resurrect the legacy of the fallen despot

But they want to do this expert investigation, apparently, using the Freeh group's material. Umm, and they are expecting a different outcome?

My dad used to tell this story-A man is banging his head against a wall over and over again, crying out in pain. Another man asks him why he continues to bang his head against the wall? The first man replies, "Because it feels so good when I stop."

I want to go back and get the MSM reports regarding Joe and his reorganizing his estate before he died...didnt he transfer his assets?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/s...rred-ownership-of-home-to-his-wife-for-1.html

According to documents filed with the county, the house’s fair-market value was listed at $594,484.40. Wick Sollers, a lawyer for Paterno, said in an e-mail that the Paternos had been engaged in a “multiyear estate planning program,” and the transfer “was simply one element of that plan.” He said it had nothing to do with the scandal.

and

“I can’t see any tax advantages,” Frolik said. “If someone told me that, my reaction would be, ‘Are they hoping to shield assets in case if there’s personal liability?’ ” He added, “It sounds like an attempt to avoid personal liability in having assets in his wife’s name.”

This is part of the story I recall.

your exactly correct...spent a little time at the pennlive comment thread last night where over 270 Central Pennsylvanians commented on the Paterno's pathetic attempts at legacy retoration. it isnt pretty for them, at all. The overwhelming response there is for them to just shut up. pretty much everyone but the true die hard joepa cool aid drinker realizes that this misguided attempt is only making it worse for Joe.

Which leads me to believe that the Paterno lawyers have helped unbalance the Paterno's already tilted judgements in favor of this diastrous plan, and to noones great surprise, it is a plan which will suck many of the retirement dollars that ole Joe and his co-conspirator, Spanier, funneled into the patriarch's bank account at the 11th hour and out of the families greedy little hands, into their lawyers bank accounts.

there is a certain karmic irony here. the Paterno's, half blind with the power crazed ego lust that propelled their dead patriarch, are duped into believing a transparently flawed "expert" investigation will magically resurrect the legacy of the fallen despot. and it is the lawyers who pull them over the edge with legalistic arguments, which are fine in the controlled American courtroom, which heavily favors the guilty, as long as they have enough money to keep paying the lawyers, who are intimately aware of ALL the courtroom slight of hand and smoke and mirrors they use on a daily basis to hide the truth from unsuspecting and easily duped jurors.

but this isnt court. this is the court of public opinion, where the truth stands a much better chance of being recognized. Lawyer tricks in the court of public opinion are more easily seen for what they are. They are not given the pompous gravitas at large in the community that they are afforded in the hamstrung, criminal-friendly court room.

consequently, when a Paterno lawyer argues that an email which refers only to "coach" is ambiguous and doesn't refer to "the" Coach, well that is fine in the criminal coddling court room, and a measure of doubt may cloud the mind of juries who are constanly bombarded with the ridiculously flawed "beyond a resonable doubt" instruction.

but in the light of day, in the court of public opinion, when the Paterno lawyer makes that ridculous claim, it is easily seen as the courtroom trickery it is. The whole world knows that when the President of Penn state university changes his mind on a policy that would out Sandusky, which he has already agreed upon with Curly and Schultz, and which, by the way, would solve the problem and put an end to the Sandusky reign of terror, and when he does so unilaterally, at the last minute, after talking to the "coach"....well the whole world outside a courtroom knows which coach Spanier is talking about.

But inside the courtroom, the Paterno lawyer can create maybe a tinge of "resonable doubt" in at least one jurors mind. ( dont forget the jurors have been hand picked by defense experts, highly paid professionals who know what signs to look for in potential jurors that show them to be the most vulnerable to the atty's slight of hand arguments).

but not in the light of day. here the truth is not so easily obscured. and when the lawyers assure the Paternos that for a few million dollars (they hardly put it THAT way) they can turn reality into fantasy, and joepas legacy back into the fantasyland the Paternos want everyone to believe....well, that plumb is just too ripe for the state-made-weathy Paterno's to reject.

but all its going to do is solidify in most folks minds what is becomming more and more obvious every day. It turns out, the Paterno's are no better than their dead patriarch, and by attempting to pull the wool over our eyes with lawyer slight of hand arguments, they are actually making our vision clearer. Now, maybe, even more folks in Central Pa. and happy valley and the penn state "family" will more clearly see who and what was in charge of their University for the last 40 years.

and its the greedy lawyers who are egging the unsuspecting Paternos on. oh well, they end up with some of the ill got Paterno millions, and there is a certain justice to that after all.

You're absolutely right about the desperation of the JoePa loyalists. They're clinging to the belief that "the coach" referred to Sandusky in Curley's email, even though the subject line was PATERNO.

Sorry to quote my own post, but here's a beaut:

"I don't think I ever put winning a football game ahead of what was best for a kid."

:floorlaugh: :cry: :furious:

As long as the kid was on his football team.

Obviously, if you happened to be anyone else and/or hadn't been issued the PSU sports equipment needed to help defend yourself, all bets were off.

My father (also a head football coach) used to have an old expression that goes like this:

"Some of the greatest love affairs only involve one person."

It seems rather fitting for that (once) much-revered superman known as JoePa. Heh. Pa. Paterno. Paternal.
Pater: a title given to a father deity

You're absolutely right about the desperation of the JoePa loyalists. They're clinging to the belief that "the coach" referred to Sandusky in Curley's email, even though the subject line was PATERNO.

correct me if i'm wrong, but part of that original plan was to confront Sandusky with the fact that he was being accused. If that is true, how in the world could Sandusky "be" the coach? especially since the new plan is to not to do anything but talk to the "subject"?

am i wrong?

As long as the kid was on his football team.

Obviously, if you happened to be anyone else and/or hadn't been issued the PSU sports equipment needed to help defend yourself, all bets were off.

My father (also a head football coach) used to have an old expression that goes like this:

"Some of the greatest love affairs only involve one person."

It seems rather fitting for that (once) much-revered superman known as JoePa. Heh. Pa. Paterno. Paternal.
Pater: a title given to a father deity

at one time penn state had so many felons being allowed to play football that it caused quite a stir among those who paid attention in the sports world....it was all smoke and mirrors...but the media helped fuel the propaganda by being lazy and not doing their homework and routinely repeating the bs that penn state and joepa was without reproach.

interesting 1. that they would do it, and 2. that their website would deny the reason they did it was because Paterno has brought disgrace onto them all.:

"....On its website, the student organization that runs makeshift campgrounds said that "since it was unlikely another coach would stay as long as Coach Paterno had, changing the name for each new coach would be impractical."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/16/penn-state-paternoville-to-be-nittanyville/?test=latestnews#ixzz20tXtLoyg...."

In death, paterno will never live up to the legend that he was, in his mind and in the minds of his fanatical followers. Power left unchecked corrupted.

just heard on xm radio sports talk that BROWN UNIVERSITY where Paterno played QB in the late 1960's has taken action to remove his name from....something...sorry, not sure what, maybe an award or trophy....but something.....somone needs to tell the family....they may want to challenge the action by BROWN on insufficient grounds.

Paterno family still trying to cover up

From link below:

The unfathomable audacity of the family of the late Joe Paterno is beyond offensive. It's sickening. It's distasteful.

However long it takes for their "experts" to conduct their farcical "review" of the damning 267-page investigation by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh, it won't change a thing. No matter how much the toadies and sycophants try to twist the facts of the Freeh report into a pretzel or a French cruller, it will never exonerate Paterno from the disgusting truth.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...2d5-5269-8b22-6e4d543b8af3.html#ixzz20v92nM1y

....and the hits just keep on coming. If nothing else sheds light on the dangers children face out there, this story will.

Brown removes Paterno's name from coach job, award

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Brown University has removed Joe Paterno's name from its head football coaching position and a student award and is reviewing whether to remove him from the Brown Athletic Hall of Fame.

http://www.abc6.com/story/19045829/brown-removes-paternos-name-from-coach-job-award

Uh-Oh. Looks like Jay Paterno is going to have to go get a real job.

The PSU/Paterno gravy train just made its last stop.

I stumbled across this IMO extremely well written viewpoint.

EXACTLY!

ETA: I think this is truly the best analysis of the situation I've read yet.

From link:

But how the university, how the alumni, how the fans and players, march into a successful future while still marrying themselves to Paterno's legacy is impossible to see.

Joe Paterno knew.

So how can he continue to be painted as some sort of paragon of virtue, the man who set the standard for all Penn Staters? Those who played for him and were influenced by him will try to reconcile the Paterno we thought we knew with the Paterno who helped let this happen the same way the football-crazed fans who idolized him because he was a relentless winner will. They'll say that more than 60 years of good actions shouldn't be discounted because of one mistake.

This was more than a mistake. This was the worst kind of mistake.

http://citizensvoice.com/sports/collins-paterno-knew-and-did-nothing-1.1342956

Paterno family still trying to cover up

From link below:

The unfathomable audacity of the family of the late Joe Paterno is beyond offensive. It's sickening. It's distasteful.

However long it takes for their "experts" to conduct their farcical "review" of the damning 267-page investigation by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh, it won't change a thing. No matter how much the toadies and sycophants try to twist the facts of the Freeh report into a pretzel or a French cruller, it will never exonerate Paterno from the disgusting truth.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...2d5-5269-8b22-6e4d543b8af3.html#ixzz20v92nM1y

i agree with burwell seldom but in this case he is right on except for his belief it would be wrong for the NCAA to punish "innocent" victims and he also states no NCAA viiolations were made. absurd. this is the most obvious case of lack of "institutional control" in the history of college football. Burwell of course knows the NCAA always punishes the innocent and he should know what "lack of institutuional control" means...but hes not alone in that last falacy. lots of knowledgable sports commentators dont seem to understand the dictate, but the President of the NCAA does, as he pointed out yeststerday. now whether he acts or not...who knows. but its good to agree with burwell on something at least. its a first for me.

i love it that he slams the family. and his take on their economic incentive is smart. he could be right on about that. i had thought it was just another Paterno ego driven power exercise, but it makes more sense they are trying to protect their ill got state funded millions, negotiated with a co conspirator at the 11th hour. joe the moralist. right.

I don't think his family has a clue as to what Joe Paterno knew. My dad was of his same generation. While, I have to believe my father would have acted/reacted entirely differently with such knowledge, I firmly believe he would never had said a word to me or my mother. Such facts would have been just to abhorrent to him to relate to us but he would have taken steps to see the matter was handled properly. If whomever didn't handle it, he would have gone higher. That was just my Dad's way...but quitely but onward.
As a coach, all the offensive and defensive plays in the world count for naught unless there is follow-through to get the score up on the scoreboard. A tackle is told over and over again to "wrap-it up" to follow-through. With the report, that's what makes no sense about Paterno's ultimate actions...no follow through....did he really think it was such a trivial matter.....or was he trying to protect Penn State from retaliation from Sandusky....such as bringing in the NCAA for whatever alleged reasons. One just has to wonder. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back