All things Joe Paterno

Too bad no one had a "panicked response" for the boy(s) seen being raped in the showers at PSU. The Paterno family needs to shut the f up- IMO!

Gregg Doyel, CBS Sports, does not suffer fools gladly (as we've seen):
The victims of Jerry Sandusky want their lives back.

The relatives of Joe Paterno want their victories back.

Compassion? Looks like it skipped every generation of the Paterno family, which sent an indignant letter to the NCAA on Friday demanding an appeal of the sanctions levied July 23 against Penn State -- and against Joe Paterno.
---
the rest at the link above

Oops, here's that link, belatedly: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...t-of-record-goes-from-insulting-to-irrational

According to the letter, the Paterno family wants to soften "the enormous damage done to Penn State, the State College community, former and current students and student-athletes, Joe Paterno and certain others involved, as a result of the unprecedented actions taken by the NCAA."

Let's try that last paragraph again, because the part written by the Paterno family was misleading:

According to the letter, the Paterno family wants to soften "the enormous damage done to Penn State, the State College community, former and current students and student-athletes, Joe Paterno and certain others involved, as a result of the unprecedented actions taken by the NCAA."

That's what this was all about -- those 409 victories, a number reduced to 298 after the NCAA vacated the wins from 1998-2011. The Paterno family probably wouldn't mind if the school didn't owe $60 million in fines, didn't miss the next four postseasons, didn't face massive scholarship restrictions.

But that's not what the family is after. The family wants the record back.

Can you believe it? After everything that happened -- even the Penn State-commissioned Freeh report that affirmed Paterno's negligence -- they want the record back.

The family reaction to this scandal has been an affront to decency every step of the way, from its series of tone-deaf statements to Jay Paterno's "inspirational" tweets and nauseating interview on ESPN, but this letter to the NCAA broke new ground.

The Paterno family is no longer merely insulting. Now it's irrational.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...t-of-record-goes-from-insulting-to-irrational

I agree. I'm sorry that JP was not the man the P family thought he was, but all of this 'kicking & squawking' to protect his legacy is getting ridiculous. Heck, JP even admitted he wished he had done more. IMO, the Paterno family is revictimizing the survivors.

my opinion

wm

"The Paterno family needs to step away from Penn State football and stop adding more fuel to the fire. They are only making matters worse on themselves and the school. Nothing is going to change.

The NCAA is trying to make it clear to the Paterno family that the sanctions are not subject to appeal. It is a polite way of advising them to go away and drop all of this nonsense going forward. It is over."

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/201...te-football-and-stop-adding-more-controversy/

On the bright side, the Paterno family has already secured victory and won my August StFU Award.

Poor, poor Jay Paterno- like Jerry, his dreams of being Head Coach vanished- and even his job- but left with a pretty big inheritance and probably unlimited media exposure for years to come.

Sue, I can feel sorry for- not the Jay. Look at it this way, Jay: now that your father is human-sized, you can equal or surpass him. You never had that chance before.

NCAA denies Paterno family appeal of sanctions

SNIPS>>>>>>>>>

(Reuters) - The National Collegiate Athletic Association said Friday it will not consider appeal of sanctions against Penn State reportedly filed by the family of late coach Joe Paterno, after the conviction of one of the coach's long-time assistants on child abuse sex charges.
The governing body of U.S. college sports last month imposed unprecedented sanctions on Penn State University and its football program for not taking action after being alerted to child sex abuse by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky
The sanctions included a fine of $60 million and voiding the team's wins from 1998 through to 2011 -- which means Paterno, who died in January, will no longer hold the record for most victories by a major college football coach.

A report by former FBI director Louis Freeh criticized Paterno for his role in protecting Sandusky and the school's image at the expense of Sandusky's victims.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48497902/

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

180 former Penn State football players have signed a letter authored by Franco Harris and two others, deeming the Freeh report a "rush to judgment" against Joe Paterno.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/08/06/3288265/ex-psu-players-get-the-full-truth.html

Franco Harris has been vocal about his support of Paterno since the Sandusky story broke. He even lost some deals he had going on in the Pittsburgh area because of this.

It was reported he was with the Paterno family as the statue of Joe was being removed from outside the stadium.

And 180 players out of the thousands the played for Paterno - wonder how many declined to sign?

Interesting Paterno quote:

WASHINGTON AP - The stories about the recruiting of high school athletes for the nation's college sports programs can be frightening.

On the other hand, Joe Paterno, highly successful Penn State football coach, said he knew of, and had proof of, recruiting violations by other schools, but did not report them.

"I don't think it's my job to turn them in," he said. "Say I have information on a certain coach. He's been hired by this school and given carte blanche to win at any cost. I don't think I should be in a position to cause a coach to lose his job when our whole society has produced this attitude."

http://media.sportsbybrooks.com/2012/08/paternoignoredviolations1975.pdf

IIRC this was discussed a while back on WS, but I came across it again tonight and thought it worth bumping.

However, I am not familiar with this source so if it is against TOS, mods please delete and accept my humblest apologies.

From link:

As Sandusky was allegedly caught raping boy, Paterno and Second Mile were pursuing $125M real estate venture

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/12/05/120511-news-paterno-business-1-5/

I expect to see more columns, like the one below, defending football-crazy universities by saying "hey, at least we're not Penn State."

LSU may not be perfect, but it is clearly no Penn State

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120813/SPORTS01/208130321/1006/rss02

Maybe, this is what the late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno was thinking after becoming as powerful as Michael Corleone, who gave a handsome financial gift to the Vatican in "Godfather III." Paterno gave millions of his own money for the Paterno Library. Maybe he thought this could help keep everything quiet about Sandusky. Maybe it helped keep many of his arrested players over the years in uniform on game day. Four in 2007 were "expelled" from summer classes but missed no games, according to a recent "Outside the Lines" report on ESPN.

Not a bad point. Paterno raised funds for the library during the time period, 93-97, when Sandusky began abusing boys (that we know of). Just a coincidence?

Chronological notes:

1997: Penn State broke ground on the $34 million Paterno Library, after Paterno spearheaded fundraising and personally donated $225,000 to the project.
May 13, 1998: Victim 6--Curley says “Coach wants to know” in email to Schultz.
1998: Paterno and his family donated $3.5 million to Penn State for faculty positions, scholarships and two building projects.
[If these figures are correct, escalating giving from $225K to $3.5MM is a major change.]
1998: Paterno won his 300th game as Penn State's coach
From http://espn.go.com/college-football...tate-nittany-lions-coach-joe-paterno-timeline

Note- If I remember rightly, in the ESPN timeline the Paterno family philanthropy is listed twice- in 1997-8 and again in "2009: Paterno and his wife announced a $1 million pledge to the Mount Nittany Medical Center."
It is not a consistent, annual thing, unless the gifts were pledges over a period of time.

Edited to add:
OK, I'll venture it- my instinct is that these were conscience gifts because he knew about Sandusky in 1998 and something raised the issue again by 2009.

July 1, 1999: Athletic director Tim Curley issues a press release announcing Sandusky's decision to retire following the 1999 season. …His achievement as a human being, Curley says, "is splendidly demonstrated by the thousands of youngsters he touches annually through The Second Mile."
You figure Curley would say something like that if Paterno didn't want it said?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back