Analysis of a different sort

Holdontoyourhat said:
Interesting read, but most of the peculiarites in the handwriting can actually be attributed to the writer struggling to form the characters of the English alphabet.

IOW, not all the distortions can be attributed to personality. Many are likely due to tendencies carried over from the writer's native language.

But the language/grammatical structures showed no grammatical carry-overs from a foreign language. Very hard to do even for fluent English speakers, there is almost always a certain phrasing, if not an outright English grammatical error, that betrays the native language.

Linguistic experts can pick out those traces. (So can any good ESL teacher in a city with students from many backgrounds, I can pick out several myself, and that with average experience.)

So where are the other traces of a non-English speaker? If forming the English letters are so difficult, there will be heavy evidence of a non-English native language speaker/writer. You cannot have it both ways, if the physical effort is so conscious, the language would be even more so.

Please don't make me drag out all the language buzzwords, technical terms, and research theories. I have my ESL certification, but it was painful enough to learn all the "technical stuff" without making anyone else endure it as well. (phoneme, anyone?)

Texana said:
But the language/grammatical structures showed no grammatical carry-overs from a foreign language. Very hard to do even for fluent English speakers, there is almost always a certain phrasing, if not an outright English grammatical error, that betrays the native language.

Linguistic experts can pick out those traces. (So can any good ESL teacher in a city with students from many backgrounds, I can pick out several myself, and that with average experience.)

So where are the other traces of a non-English speaker? If forming the English letters are so difficult, there will be heavy evidence of a non-English native language speaker/writer. You cannot have it both ways, if the physical effort is so conscious, the language would be even more so.

Please don't make me drag out all the language buzzwords, technical terms, and research theories. I have my ESL certification, but it was painful enough to learn all the "technical stuff" without making anyone else endure it as well. (phoneme, anyone?)
The perp may have spoken English since childhood, but doesn't write it. Many foreign people speak English but don't write very well. I never said the perp was a non-English speaker. The perp's English writing is appalling, though.

Texana, I just bought two copies of the book in your signature line. Will read one on my flight to DC this weekend.

If you would like to PM me with info on your connection and interest in this book I would appreciate it.

Holdontoyourhat said:
Please clarify your post for me, if you wouldn't mind.
Unless you're going to suggest that the perp's native written language was one of the ones that use foreign characters such as the ones I suggested (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, or such...), pretty much all other foreign languages that I can think of use the same Roman alphabet characters that we do, even French in which the spoken language is nothing like the written language!
I am a former linguist and Speech-Language Pathologist, so go ahead and use the word phoneme Texana!:blowkiss:

LinasK said:
Unless you're going to suggest that the perp's native written language was one of the ones that use foreign characters such as the ones I suggested (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, or such...), pretty much all other foreign languages that I can think of use the same Roman alphabet characters that we do, even French in which the spoken language is nothing like the written language!
I am going to suggest the perp's native written language is 'one of the ones.'

Its worth noting that 5 of 6 countries on the State Dept's list of states that sponsor terrorism are 'one of the ones'.

Country Designation Date </FONT>

Cuba

March 1, 1982

Iran

January 19, 1984

Libya

December 29, 1979

North Korea

January 20, 1988

Sudan

August 12, 1993

Syria

December 29, 1979

Thanks for reminding us, but Cuba would never go for this. Castro would prefer a nuclear strike or similar attack. He'd never bother with a bureaucrat like John Ramsey. He's too meglomaniacal for that. Same with Kim Jong-Il. Kinda goes for the whole lot.

Holdontoyourhat: Why waste time cracking your head about the foreign faction? Patsy Ramsey knew better all along:
Let's not forget that Patsy herself revealed that there was no foreign faction at work here. What she said at the Marriott press conference is among my absolute favorites (PMPT pb, p. 388):

"We feel that there are at least two people on the face of this earth that know who did this: That is the killer and someone that that person may have confided in."

Quite a smooth transition by Patsy from the foreign faction group in the ransom note to the lone intruder scenario, isn't it? Too bad that no reporter asked her: "So you think the ransom note was not written by a foreign faction, but a bogus note?"

I actually believe what Patsy said here. I think that indeed there was one killer (herself) and another person she confided in (John). Without realizing it, she gave us a glimpse of the truth here.

rashomon said:
Holdontoyourhat: Why waste time cracking your head about the foreign faction? Patsy Ramsey knew better all along:
Let's not forget that Patsy herself revealed that there was no foreign faction at work here. What she said at the Marriott press conference is among my absolute favorites (PMPT pb, p. 388):

"We feel that there are at least two people on the face of this earth that know who did this: That is the killer and someone that that person may have confided in."

Quite a smooth transition by Patsy from the foreign faction group in the ransom note to the lone intruder scenario, isn't it? Too bad that no reporter asked her: "So you think the ransom note was not written by a foreign faction, but a bogus note?"

I actually believe what Patsy said here. I think that indeed there was one killer (herself) and another person she confided in (John). Without realizing it, she gave us a glimpse of the truth here.

Rashomon, now you know why John wouldn't let her talk much in the early days! She would have talked them both into prison. Did you see John's face when she said that line? He looked like he was gonna wet himself!

SuperDave said:
Rashomon, now you know why John wouldn't let her talk much in the early days! She would have talked them both into prison. Did you see John's face when she said that line? He looked like he was gonna wet himself!
SuperDave: too bad I have never been able to watch the Ramseys on TV because I'm from Germany. But I always devour any info from the posters here who have been able to see the Ramseys on TV and watch their body language.
I can imagine how John looked like when Patsy said that, lol.

rashomon said:

Quite a smooth transition happening here too, from PR"s quote 'at least two' to this interpretation 'lone intruder'. Its like the words 'at least' aren't even there. Its like they weren't even read. Glossed over, you might say. Huh.

More words that aren't even there: 'face of this earth.' PR didn't say 'in this country' or '...who stand a 99% chance of being from this country'. Its true, 'face of this earth' can include foreign factions. So PR didn't exclude foreign factions, as claimed.

John said he didn't know she was going to say that. So that explains his immediate reaction, which to me looks just that way...like he didn't expect her to say that.

Don't ask me to source this because I can't remember where I heard it. It seems like I saw him say it on TV at some point or another.

Holdontoyourhat said:
Quite a smooth transition happening here too, from PR"s quote 'at least two' to this interpretation 'lone intruder'. Its like the words 'at least' aren't even there. Its like they weren't even read. Glossed over, you might say. Huh.

More words that aren't even there: 'face of this earth.' PR didn't say 'in this country' or '...who stand a 99% chance of being from this country'. Its true, 'face of this earth' can include foreign factions. So PR didn't exclude foreign factions, as claimed.
HOTYH, I did not gloss over it. You have to read what Patsy said very closely: she spoke of the killer and someone (or maybe more than one) the killer may have confided in.
And that is what does not jive with the foreign faction setting outlined in the ransom note. For per the RN, the whole foreign faction knew what was going to happen to JonBenet, so there was no need for the person who killed JB to 'confide' in the others. This defies logic.
Did you read SuperDave's #28 post? He wrote that when Patsy said this, John looked like he was gonna wet himself. John must have realized instantly what a revealing blunder Patsy made here.

You said that Patsy's phrase 'on the face of this earth' includes 'small foreign factions' too, but it is a moot point because Patsy obviously wasn't thinking of a small foreign faction when she spoke of the killer in the singular.
'On the face of this earth' imo is merely a dramatic embellishment - an element of emphasis used by the drama queen Patsy.

rashomon said:
she spoke of the killer and someone (or maybe more than one) the killer may have confided in.

Sorry, but these are two different statements. One has the killer plus one or more confidants. The other has at least two people, and does not specify if the extra people would be more killers or more confidants. PR was singular in referring to both the killer and the confidant.

Rashomon, :clap: :clap: confiding in, oh my sides, what a catch! :clap: Thats it, eureka, the foreign faction confides and confided with one another. Wonder what they all talked about with each other, when they found out they wuz knot gonna git any money? Hmmm.

I would love to see JR's reaction on CNN that morning, a close up of his face when she said that. She did look terribly tired and sad faced, and every word that came from her was difficult for her.

I can see his face in my minds eye, but I would love to see up close his entire face at that moment.

What were their secrets, and will we ever know precisely?

Holdontoyourhat said:
PR was singular in referring to both the killer and the confidant.
So she doesn't believe this crime was carried out by a foreign faction of at least three people? That's how many are accounted for in the RN - which interestingly starts out as "we" and then changes to "I"...hmmmmmm.

One thing I've always wondered about this small foreign faction....why would any foreign faction, regardless of size, bother kidnapping a kid from Boulder, CO? And for such a paltry, and odd, sum of money? Wouldn't it have behooved this small foreign faction far greater to kidnap the child of a higher-up political figure, a child from a far wealthier family, or even the child of a celebrity? I can't imagine that JR's bonus money would have done this little faction much good. Also, I don't know that kidnappers go around even vaguely identifying themselves in ransom notes. Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmm". ;)

I've asked all those same questions. Why of all people would this foreign faction pick John Ramsey, and why would they request such an odd and small amount, and why would they not take the child, even dead, to get the ransom they claim this crime is about?

Her name is spelled JonBenét.

I donut know how to make the accent mark on my puter, but can help with the pronunciation part.

Phoenetically speaking - 'Jawn Bo nay'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B_Hazey
Back