Another theory

KrazyKollector said:
I thought the jury was unable to find him "innocent" (which is harder to do than "not guilty").

This case can be really confusing, because it started in 1954 and has been through the wringer a zillion times. In a nutshell, Sheppard was found guilty of murdering his wife, spent 10 years in prison, and then good old F. Lee Bailey came along & got him a new trial - not for lack of evidence, but by claiming that pretrial publicity had denied him a fair trial. (However, the jurors from the first trial said the media did not influence their decision, and I believe they were telling the truth. The evidence was there, and they followed it to its natural conclusion).

In 1966, Sam was tried again, but this time the jury didn't hear a word about his infidelity, or the forensic evidence that convicted him in the first place. The general consensus is that the State wasn't really prepared for a retrial and Bailey knew it...he put his spin on it and convinced them of reasonable doubt.

In 2000 his son, Samuel Reese Sheppard, brought suit against the state of Ohio for the wrongful imprisonment of his father. He stood to make millions of dollars if he won, but the jury found that his father had, indeed, murdered his wife.

KrazyKollector said:
If it wasn't Sheppard's blood and not Marilyn's blood, then whose blood was it?

The blood on the closet door was type O, Marilyn's blood type. It gets so convoluted, but an excellent book to figure it out is "The Unknown Darkness" by Gregg O. McCrary.

KrazyKollector said:
I wish the whole case had been handled correctly from the get-go, so the truth would be more evident.

Unfortunately, the 60s television series, "The Fugitive" influenced many people to believe that poor Sam Sheppard was framed, and was just a good, honest guy trying to track down the "real killer" on a golf course :doh: or wherever. It got him a lot of sympathy, but it was just the media playing it to the hilt. No basis in reality.

A very interesting hypothesis, and one which has a great deal of truth behind it I think. As a side note I think the Diane Downs case has a great deal of similarity with Darlies (beyond simply the superifical).

However, I'm not so sure I agree with this statement

Now, if Darlie fits into one of those three categories, I think you can stop looking for the phantom or intruder.

Whilst the Routier case may be consistent with your theory, I think it is a bit of a leap to say that Darlie's guilt (or at the very least the non-existence of the intruder) is proven by your theory. The reality is that intruders do enter homes and do attack people and some do get away. Someone could assemble a theory, using past cases as you do, to support Darlie's innocence in this way.

Really we can stop looking for an intruder when we examine the actual evidence of the case. Whilst looking at the background and the pyschological issues at stake are a helpful thing and can lead us towards tentative (though telling) conclusions, it is the evidence which actually shows there was no intruder. Whilst I think your theory is a good one and is well supported I don't think it is enough to show that there is no intruder (and there is no way it would convict anyone in a court of law). In hidndsight, after examining the evidence of the case, it makes sense and fits.... but I don't think it should come before the evidence.

Jeana--here is installment number three regarding the Darlie Routier case. This part involves staged crime scenes. I have to preface my remarks here by saying that I feel a lot of sympathy for the people at the justicefordarlie.com website who have signed that petition stating that they believe she is innocent and should be set free. I would think that, too, if this was the only case like this I had ever seen, but, unfortunately, it is not.

I suppose the best place to start here is with that Charles Stuart case, which, again, is the one in October of 1989 where he shot his wife to death and claimed that a robber had done it. Almost everyone in that case was fooled, as I certainly was, because Charles Stuart merely switched the real motive, an economic motive, for the murder, the insurance money on his wife, to someone else's economic motive for the murder, a robbery ending in the fatal shooting of the wife and the non-fatal shooting of Charles Stuart. This case would not have been cracked, and Stuart would not have committed suicide in January of 1990 had someone who assisted Stuart not have gotten disgusted and gone to police and told them what happened.

The next case I have considered is Susan Smith in October of 1994. She said a black man with a knit cap had carjacked her and her two little boys, an apparent economic motive, when, in fact, she had strapped them in her car and driven them off a boat ramp in order to be with someone else, a personal motive. Both the Stuart and Smith cases involve staging because the assailants told us one thing had happened and we found out that, in reality, another thing had happened. After Susan Smith, I started to get the idea that the true crime often involves one motive and the staged crime often involves another motive. Stuart did a good job of almost getting away with murder because he swapped one economic motive for another economic motive. In Susan Smith's case, police were on to her pretty quickly.

I think in my section on "phantom killers" or "intruders," the next two murders I discussed were the shooting of the bank vice-president's wife in Lake-of-the-Ozarks, Missouri and a separate shooting of a man's wife at a campground. Since I have not been able to find those cases on the Web, I am not going to rely on them heavily. I only want to mention here that in both cases, the victim was shot in the head once. That is what a killing for money often looks like: the assailant is not interested in having the victim suffer, so he shoots her once in the head and claims that the "intruder" showed up and did it. In the case of the bank vice-president, he claimed that a burglar came in their house and for no reason at all, shot the wife in the head and left without taking anything. The bank vice-president was convicted and given a life sentence. What I distill from these cases is that a killing for money typically does not involve someone trying to inflict pain, but, instead, someone who wants to get things over quickly and is willing to use the old, "interrupted burglary" story. In other words, the killing itself has a personal motive and the staging has an economic motive.

The amazing thing about the next case, the Dr. Sam Shepard case from July of 1954, is that the killing of his wife involves her being stabbed 35 times in the face, which indicates a personal motive, but there are two staged motives in the case. The staged motives in the case are her pajama top being thrown over her head, which a good crime scene analyst will recognize as a personal motive and a common staging technique to lead an investigator to believe that a sexual assault has occurred, and drawers being pulled out of a dresser and their contents being messed with, which is a classic staging technique to get someone to believe a burglary (i.e. economic motive) was in progress.

In the Valerie Percy case from September of 1966, two reporters from the Chicago Sun Times won Pulitzer Prizes a few years later for investigating whether a burglar had hit Valerie in the head two to four times with a hammer, had stabbed her 10 to 12 times (some sources say up to 14 times) around her body with a knife, and had thrown her nightgown up around her shoulders. Unfortunately, the nature of the wounds suggests a personal motive, while the conduct with the nightgown suggests a staged motive of sexual assault and the interrupted burglary theory suggests an economic motive even though nothing was taken. As I have indicated, that crime has never been solved, but it looks like the true motive was a personal matter and not an "interrupted burglary."

I could probably go through many more of these cases where there are "mixed motives" present, but I think the only other one that should be mentioned at this point is the David Hendricks case from November of 1983 in central Illinois. Mr. Hendricks was fortunate not to be at his house but on a sales call in Wisconsin when somebody entered the house, and brutally murdered his wife and three children (ages 5, 7, and 9) with an ax and a knife, apparently as they slept. I believe a responding police officer said it was the most brutal crime scene he had seen in his 24 years on the job. The wounds indicate a personal motive, but there were dressers drawers pulled out, which is a classic staging technique to indicate a burglar had come in the house, an economic motive. Hendricks was initially convicted, but his conviction was overturned and he was acquitted at a retrial. The important thing about the Hendricks case is that the real motive, a personal one, and the staged economic motive, the drawers being pulled out, are pretty far apart, which indicates more than likely that one of the motives is real and the other is not.

In Darlie's case, we see mixed motives as well. Anyone looking at this crime should draw a big, imaginary circle around the boys being stabbed because that is the true crime here and that indicates a personal motive. The whole business about the "phantom" or "intruder" is an attempt to introduce an economic motive into the crime ("somebody came in here and tried to steal our things!"). This is simply another case of someone trying to claim an interrupted burglary and it is fairly common even though the economic motive parts are staged. That is, the overturned vacuum, the smashed wine glass, and the sock in the alley are all there to try and make people believe this crime had an economic motive when it is fairly clear that the real crime, the stabbing of the boys, had a personal motive.

In this case, the importance of the intruder is obvious: to show that someone else committed the crime or that there is at least reasonable doubt about who do it. However, the more important reason for suggesting an intruder is to introduce a second motive for the crime, the all-too-common "interrupted burglary," an economic motive. In other words, if someone had entered the house just after Darlie had finished stabbing the children, she would not be able to explain away the stab wounds on the children, a personal motive. The staging suggests an economic motive, and many of those people who believe she is innocent do so because they can't separate the genuine motive, the stabbing, from the staged motive, the economic one.

Too, Darlie and her family have tried very hard to sell the staged motive, the economic one. On the 911 call, as we know, Darlie suggests that an intruder, not she, committed the crime because she says that if she hadn't touched the knife, maybe police could have gotten some prints off of it (translation--it was somebody else who committed the crime, not Darlie). Later in the 911 call, she says that she and Darin "have to find the person who did this" once again suggesting that an intruder did it. Finally, she also adds in the call the question of "who could have done this" which is once again a sorry attempt to suggest that someone else, not Darlie, committed this crime. There is, of course, the other staging I have mentioned and my belief is that it was Darlie who smashed the wine glass, overturned the vacuum, and cut the screen while it was Darin (by process of elimination, the only person who would have had the time to do it), who placed the sock in the alley to suggest that an intruder had broken in their house. The 911 call is what I like to refer to as the first sorry attempt to create the intruder and the sock in the alley, etc, is the second sorry attempt to create the intruder. The third sorry attempt to create the intruder is when Bob Kee, Darlie's stepfather, files an affidavit two years after the trial that says Darin talked to him about a fake burglary scheme a few nights before the murder. I believe this is simply a clever trap. A reporter approached Darin and asked about whether Darin talked about a faked burglary scheme with his stepfather-in-law. Darin initially denied it, but the reporter went and got the affidavit that Bob Kee had filed and confronted Darin about it. Although Darin has been described as "headstrong," he meekly caves in and says that yes, he had talked about a faked burglary scheme with Bob Kee, and someone may have overheard it and acted upon it. In my opinion, Darin meekly caved in to try and introduce the intruder in this case, an economic motive. He also added that he told someone years earlier that he wouldn’t mind if his Jaguar got stolen, and it was; in my opinion, he is simply trying to bolster his street credentials as someone who would do this sort of thing all in an attempt to create the thought that yes, it is possible that there was an intruder in this case. Notice how Darin is utterly defiant when it is pointed out to him that he could not get the loan he was seeking shortly before the murders and when people bring up his failures on the lie detector test, yet he meekly caves in when people suggest he is a little bit shady and someone could have broken in his house at his suggestion to further a burglary scheme. The fourth sad attempt to create the economic motive is the defense effort to try and get items DNA tested to show that the intruder was involved. I believe the defense should do that, but I am not holding my breath that we are going to find the intruder that her family is desperately trying to create because the true motive, in my opinion, was the personal one of stabbing the two children in a jealous rage

Thank you, this was great reading! I can definitely see all of this fitting and I really agree with the last post (deandaniellws) that she took it out on "his boys" to get back at him or teach him a lesson.

I'm looking forward to reading more of the original posters writings!

St3phanie said:
Thank you, this was great reading! I can definitely see all of this fitting and I really agree with the last post (deandaniellws) that she took it out on "his boys" to get back at him or teach him a lesson.

I'm looking forward to reading more of the original posters writings!

Sections Two and Three have been posted!!

I just got done reading them! Thanks again.. this has been great to read.

I have read / watched tv shows on all of the true crime events that he mentions, except for one, and I hadn't ever thought to question or look at the similarities / differences regarding intruders, so this was extremely eye opening for me. It makes me want to go research and compare other cases right away - :)

St3phanie said:
I just got done reading them! Thanks again.. this has been great to read.

I have read / watched tv shows on all of the true crime events that he mentions, except for one, and I hadn't ever thought to question or look at the similarities / differences regarding intruders, so this was extremely eye opening for me. It makes me want to go research and compare other cases right away - :)

I was very excited that he would be sending me his research. I'm anxious to get some more feedback from other posters. Unfortunately, the campfire girls are afraid to post here, so no telling what remarkable arguments they'd be able to come up with to try and disprove these theories.

Why do you think Darin has stuck by her? I would have a hard time protecting or helping my husband if he killed our children.. do you think he loves her that much?

my feeling is that it was either both of them, or neither of them.

from what i have read, they were never really devoted to one another.
either he knows she didnt do it, and has some sense of decency, or he helped her, and must put on this big show of devotion, since she took the fall alone.

just my feeling, i really dont know.

I have always thought Darin helped in the 'staging' after the fact. I do believe he placed the sock in the alley. I fully believe he knows there was no intruder and that Darlie commited the murders.

I also believe that they fought that night and that he told Darlie it was over. She killed the boys and he felt guilty and, I believe, blamed himself for their deaths. I believe he has stuck my her because he feels guilty.

Hope that makes sense... :crazy:

This case drives me mad. I dont know and I have been on the fence and I think if she did it he had to of helped, and there is no way in hell I would ever cover for someone who committed this time of crime let alone my own babies....I also have such a hard time thinking if she did do it why didnt he hear anything??? Arghhhh, it makes me mad.....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I think Darin stood by Darlie because he had some involvement or some kind of knowledge (planted the sock, assisted in staging, maybe Darlie had made threats to him at some point in the past that she would kill the kids and then herself.....) I don't know, I've always thought of Darin as being kind of "goofy" (maybe "immature" is a better word) - he strikes me as someone who is not quite able to think for himself and rather whipped when it came to Darlie. When he finally got the nerve to stand up for himself and tell her he wanted out - she pulled the ultimate attention-getter; but my guts tell me there is something Darlie has on him....can't quite put my finger on it.....and whatever it is, it keeps him from spilling his guts.

"When you take your chances, you take your chances." Truman Capote

Addition to Section Three:

One late-breaking development: By a stroke of luck, I located the case from Missouri that I was talking about where the banker and his wife were in their house and an "intruder" showed up with a gun that went off, with the bullet hitting the wife in the head and fatally injuring her. The incident occurred in September of 1994. The defendant was a guy named George Revelle. I now learn that Revelle's conviction was reversed on appeal. A second trial ended in a mistrial. In the third trial, some jurors thought Revelle was guilty and some did not, but the jurors all eventually voted not guilty because they felt the State had not proven its case beyond a reasonable doubt. I did not rely heavily on this case for my analysis because this case has a different look to it: defendant, hopelessly in debt, had applied for life insurance on his wife in May of 1994 and it was approved in July of 1994 in the amount of $500,000 with a double indemnity clause, with defendant as the sole beneficiary. According to State v. Revelle, 957 S.W. 2nd 428, 1997 Mo. App. Lexis 1997 (Nov. 12, 1997), the case where his conviction was reversed, defendant was embezzling funds from his employer, Ozark Bank, and stealing money from the City of Fremont Hills while acting as its mayor. The "intruder" showed up in the early morning hours of September 28, 1994 and the intruder's gun went off accidentally when he pointed it at the wife. I also learned that the insurance money was paid out to Revelle's two children and not Revelle himself.

I only add this case to show what a typical killing for money looks like. I recall reading that in the Charles Stuart case that occurred in October of 1989, Charles Stuart had a $250,000 life insurance policy on his wife at the time she was fatally shot by in the head by an alleged robber. In my opinion, the two small policies on the two Routier children, $5,000 each, was not the reason they were attacked; at the very least, the killing of the two children in the Routier case was not for the money--although that is a somewhat common assumption--but, instead, for the reasons I have indicated, has much more of the look of a jealous rage.

I agree. Darlie did not murder her children for any type of monetary gain. To me it resembles "misdirected rage", every stab was meant for Darin. There is NO WAY an intruder would just come into a home, butcher two children, not take anything, and leave her sorry *advertiser censored** with a few superficial cuts - I use the term 'superficial' because in comparison to the wounds on those poor kids, Darlie's wounds are mere 'paper cuts'.

"I bear the chain I forged in life, I made it of my own free will and of my own free will I wear it....." Jacob Marley

I wonder why if darin was involved darlie hasnt turned him in? I mean I realize that she may think she will get out by some chance but she cant be that dumb you know most people strike a deal or something. They are fiercly loyal to one another. I just dont understand...

Mary456 said:
This case can be really confusing, because it started in 1954 and has been through the wringer a zillion times. In a nutshell, Sheppard was found guilty of murdering his wife, spent 10 years in prison, and then good old F. Lee Bailey came along & got him a new trial - not for lack of evidence, but by claiming that pretrial publicity had denied him a fair trial. (However, the jurors from the first trial said the media did not influence their decision, and I believe they were telling the truth. The evidence was there, and they followed it to its natural conclusion).

In 1966, Sam was tried again, but this time the jury didn't hear a word about his infidelity, or the forensic evidence that convicted him in the first place. The general consensus is that the State wasn't really prepared for a retrial and Bailey knew it...he put his spin on it and convinced them of reasonable doubt.

In 2000 his son, Samuel Reese Sheppard, brought suit against the state of Ohio for the wrongful imprisonment of his father. He stood to make millions of dollars if he won, but the jury found that his father had, indeed, murdered his wife.

The blood on the closet door was type O, Marilyn's blood type. It gets so convoluted, but an excellent book to figure it out is "The Unknown Darkness" by Gregg O. McCrary.

Unfortunately, the 60s television series, "The Fugitive" influenced many people to believe that poor Sam Sheppard was framed, and was just a good, honest guy trying to track down the "real killer" on a golf course :doh: or wherever. It got him a lot of sympathy, but it was just the media playing it to the hilt. No basis in reality.

McCrary's profile based on the blood evidence was an eye opener wasn't it Mary? Did you think so? It made me have doubts about Sam's innocence after all... I'm going to look for that book.

michelle said:
I wonder why if darin was involved darlie hasnt turned him in? I mean I realize that she may think she will get out by some chance but she cant be that dumb you know most people strike a deal or something. They are fiercly loyal to one another. I just dont understand...

She'd have to admit her own culpability in the murders if she does. Right now she claims she is innocent.

Jeana (DP) said:
Addition to Section Three:

One late-breaking development: By a stroke of luck, I located the case from Missouri that I was talking about where the banker and his wife were in their house and an "intruder" showed up with a gun that went off, with the bullet hitting the wife in the head and fatally injuring her. The incident occurred in September of 1994. The defendant was a guy named George Revelle. I now learn that Revelle's conviction was reversed on appeal. A second trial ended in a mistrial. In the third trial, some jurors thought Revelle was guilty and some did not, but the jurors all eventually voted not guilty because they felt the State had not proven its case beyond a reasonable doubt. I did not rely heavily on this case for my analysis because this case has a different look to it: defendant, hopelessly in debt, had applied for life insurance on his wife in May of 1994 and it was approved in July of 1994 in the amount of $500,000 with a double indemnity clause, with defendant as the sole beneficiary. According to State v. Revelle, 957 S.W. 2nd 428, 1997 Mo. App. Lexis 1997 (Nov. 12, 1997), the case where his conviction was reversed, defendant was embezzling funds from his employer, Ozark Bank, and stealing money from the City of Fremont Hills while acting as its mayor. The "intruder" showed up in the early morning hours of September 28, 1994 and the intruder's gun went off accidentally when he pointed it at the wife. I also learned that the insurance money was paid out to Revelle's two children and not Revelle himself.

I only add this case to show what a typical killing for money looks like. I recall reading that in the Charles Stuart case that occurred in October of 1989, Charles Stuart had a $250,000 life insurance policy on his wife at the time she was fatally shot by in the head by an alleged robber. In my opinion, the two small policies on the two Routier children, $5,000 each, was not the reason they were attacked; at the very least, the killing of the two children in the Routier case was not for the money--although that is a somewhat common assumption--but, instead, for the reasons I have indicated, has much more of the look of a jealous rage.

This is all very interesting stuff but nothing that hasn't been thought of or speculated on at one time or another. Keep it coming...I am enjoying reading it.

I agree too that the children were not murdered for monetary gain. Nor do I think Darin was involved in the actual murders of the children. I think he figured out pretty quickly it was Darlie and chose to help her.

Jeana--now we are up to the fourth and final installment in the Darlie Routier case, which is an analysis of the crime scene involving the parts that are not staged. In this part, I am interested in the location and number of stab wounds, and what that might tell us about the assailant's identity. The interesting thing is that the prosecution and defense seem to accept the notion that the assailant meant to kill the two children. However, I think based on the evidence that the assailant's primary goal was something else. I conclude that the primary goal in stabbing the two children was to inflict pain because the assailant was a person who was in a tremendous amount of emotional pain and was in the midst of a jealous rage.

I think in most parts of my analysis, I start off by mentioning the Charles Stuart case, the one in which he shot his wife in the head in October of 1989 for the insurance money and made it look like a robbery. I also talk about the bank vice-president in Lake-of-the-Ozarks, Missouri who shot his wife in the head while he was on 911 stating that their house was being burglarized, which is a case that occurred in the early 1990's. Too, I have added in a case mentioned where a husband claimed that a black youth walked up to the husband and wife's campsite and shot her in the head, supposedly for no reason at all. I am not going into a great deal of detail about these cases because they all appear to be cases of killings for money. What is important about these cases is that they indicate what a killing for money seems to look like most of the time: someone shooting someone else in the head. The assailant appears not to be concerned with inflicting pain on the victim and likely rationalizes that it was over too quickly for the victim to have suffered very much. In contrast, in this case, the assailant appears to have been in a transient sort of rage consistent with someone who wanted to inflict pain on the two children and who then snapped out of that sort of thinking.

Mostly, we are used to seeing homicidal rages, which this apparently is not. One example is the Sam Sheppard case in July of 1954. His wife, Marilyn was struck 35 times in the face. That kind of stabbing appears to be consistent with someone who wanted to kill her, as the location and number of stab wounds is consistent with someone whose brain is shouting, "Kill! Kill!" In the Valerie Percy case in September of 1966, the victim was struck in the head two to four times with a hammer, and then stabbed 10 to 14 times about the body. Apparently, someone wanted to keep the victim from struggling so that the victim could be stabbed about the body, and, thus, tried to and appeared to succeed in rendering the victim unconscious. Another example of a homicidal rage appears to be in the Jeffrey MacDonald case in February of 1970. At least two of the three victims appear to have been stabbed more than 30 times and many of the devastating stab wounds are around the head. I conclude from that evidence that someone was trying to get them to stop struggling by knocking them out so that they could be finished off. In the David Hendricks case in Bloomington, Illinois in November of 1983, the four victims were slaughtered in their home by someone wielding a knife and ax while the victims slept. The father, who claimed to be in Wisconsin on a sales call at the time, was later acquitted in a second trial, and the crime remains officially unsolved. The interesting thing to note is that the wounds indicate that someone was trying to kill the victims as the force used was certainly more than enough to kill them.

Although I could cite other cases as well, the point is that the Routier case appears to be different than these cases. If it was the assailant's intent to kill the two children, the job just barely got done because the one child did not die until he was on the way to the hospital. The location and number of the stab wounds is interesting because we don't see the devastating shots to the head that we see in other cases. Indeed, there are no stab wounds to the head on either Damon, Devon, or Darlie. The stab wounds to the two children are to the body, which indicates to me that the assailant was preoccupied with inflicting pain and not necessarily interested in rendering them unconscious to finish them off. I am not saying that murder was not a purpose here, but I don’t think it was a primary purpose. The reason I think the assailant acted this way is that the rage trigger--the bombshell that Darin was sending Darlie back to that miserable childhood and would no longer be taking care of her--was somewhere else and was not centered around these children. I say that because even though it was unfortunate that the children were stabbed, the number of stab wounds is just about the least number of stab wounds I have seen in any case involving stab wounds. A recent story I saw on the news discussed the appropriate sentence for a child's stabbing of his mother after she found him surfing for *advertiser censored* on the Internet--111 stab wounds. A story I read about a robbery two decades ago at a store in League City, Texas talked about a clerk being stabbed 100 times. I do not know if there is a certain number at which we can say that a homicidal rage is occurring, but such a large number of stab wounds, or even 30-or more times we see in the Sam Sheppard case, Jeffrey MacDonald case, and other cases, probably indicates an assailant who is stabbing until he runs out of the physical energy to stab anymore.

In the Routier case, by contrast, I believe that one child was stabbed four times and the other child was stabbed six times. As I have indicated in my other sections, my conclusion is that this is a spontaneous, personal attack done out of a transient rage brought on by jealousy and with the primary intent of inflicting pain on the two children (in other words, this appears to be a "why don't you feel my pain" type of killing). I think some of your forum members have debated whether there was overkill and all I can say about that is, relative to other cases, there is extreme anger but not overkill present. The total number of stab wounds on the two people who appear to be victims is only 10. None of the stab wounds appear around the head, which we would expect if the assailant were trying to render them unconscious in order to finish them off, consistent with a primary intent of murdering them. In other cases as I have indicated above, we have seen assailants who are stabbing victims go almost reflexively for the head, but in this case we don't see that. I am not saying that murder was not a purpose at all, but to me the location and number of stab wounds on the two children are at least ambiguous as to what was the assailant's purpose was in stabbing the two children.

I should note that my conclusion has some basis in the evidence at trial. Al Brantley, who was a behavioral specialist for the FBI and who testified as a prosecution witness, said that this was a "personal attack done in extreme anger and not by an intruder." My theory fits with that as follows: "personal attack (me: yes, out of jealousy) done in extreme anger (me: yes, a rage killing) and not by an intruder (me: yes, I agree.) Also, note the symmetry in this case. When Darlie has low self-esteem in high school, she acts out. When Darin is not paying enough attention to her at a party when she is 16, she invents the story about someone trying to commit a sexual assault against her in order to get his attention, which appears pretty extreme to me. In order to get away from that miserable childhood, she runs away and marries Darin almost at the first moment she can do so at age 18. Later, when the money is running out one month before the murders, she, at age 26, records suicidal thoughts in her diary, which is even more extreme than what she did back when she was 16. If I am correct that Darin, the ATM machine on legs, told her on the night before/early morning of the murders that she is going back to that miserable childhood she has been running away from for years, should we be surprised that her reaction is still even more extreme? I don't think so.

I will close simply by responding to an argument that Doug Mulder made at trial and that Anne Good, the journalist, also raised: "Are we really to believe that a mother popped popcorn, put on a movie, and then went berserk and slashed her own children?" (My response: I think there was something more going on here besides popping popcorn and watching movies!")

I'd like to make one or two comments. First of all the boys were stabbed a total of eight times not ten. Devon was stabbed twice and Damon was stabbed six times.

While I too believe it was not a frenzied rage killing as we've seen in the other cases you mentioned, I believe there was rage. If Darlie didn't want the boys dead, how do we account for the fact that Damon was stabbed at two separate times and in two separate areas of the murder room? Darlie could have snapped out of it and saved him but she finished him off instead.

Yeah I'd like to ask Anne Good where the popcorn is... :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back