GUILTY AR - Michael Palmer, 28, & Hannah Dowdie, 23 mos, murdered, Sweet Home, 12 Dec 2009

http://www.allbusiness.com/crime-la...ions/criminal-offenses-crimes/14594747-1.html

Attorneys for the Gatrells have indicated their clients will pursue opposing defenses, with Daniel Gatrell telling sheriff's deputies that he shot Palmer in the stomach with a shotgun, but that his cousin finished off the stricken man with two more gunshots because the teen couldn't bring himself to shoot again. He also said killing the toddler was his cousin's idea and that Robert Gatrell strapped the toddler into Palmer's truck.

Robert Gatrell told investigators his younger cousin killed Palmer, ambushing him with a shotgun, according to arrest reports, and that both of them poured gasoline on the vehicle and set it afire with the girl inside. The pair are being kept separate while jailed at the request of investigators, court records show.

Defense attorneys for the cousins have requested mental examinations of their clients for use in a possible insanity defense. But court files show the Arkansas State Hospital has notified Circuit Judge Chris Piazza that the cousins' evaluations will require extra time.

Daniel Gatrell - 16 at the time of the slaying - is too young to face the death penalty, while prosecutors would be barred from seeking the death penalty for Robert Gatrell if he is found to be insane or mentally retarded. Authorities say he (Robert) has reported being suicidal and claims to have nightmares about Hannah crying as she burns in the truck.

Authorities say he (Robert) has reported being suicidal and claims to have nightmares about Hannah crying as she burns in the truck.

If he doesn't get death, I hope he hears those cries for the rest of his pathetic life.

Are we supposed to feel sympathy for either of these two monsters?????? I am not a big fan of the death penalty, but for these two, I would gladly inject, pull the switch, or whatever to obliterate them from the planet. Personally I think they should be doused with gasoline, locked in a car, and someone throw in a couple of lit matches. Even that would be too swift for them. I'm sorry but I have never had a story effect me like this one. Little Hannah looks just like my 2 yo grand niece and it feels like my heart is literally breaking in half for this little girl. I have no doubt the afterlife for these two will be horrendous.

Is that his pathetic attempt at remorse? I hope he never closes his eyes again without seeing her sweet face and hearing her anguished cries. Surely they will follow him straight to h-ll and throughout Eternity!

I wish that they would present some answers as to what the motive was. I can't imagine the kind of evil it takes to do that to a child. Out of all of the horrible things I have read being done to children, this has to be the worst. My mind just cannot accept that a human being could do this to a child.

That's because you have a normal mind and have empathy and compassion for others. Sociopaths like these two cousins have no feelings of empathy. There are really monsters among us. According to reports, they considered Hannah to be nothing more than "evidence" that had to be eliminated. Pure evil.

The opposing defenses (the two of them blaming each other) and the insanity argument are merely attempts to evade the consequences of their deliberate and cold-blooded acts. They are "lawyered up" now, so the community will probably have to endure a lengthy and complicated trial. I hope the judge will keep a firm hand on the proceedings and not allow the trial to become a circus. In any event, I'm guessing it will be years before justice is finally served.

It's interesting that the two are prevented from contacting one another so they can't try to line up their stories, and that they will be tried separately. I'm glad the court is taking this necessary step.

I agree, JoefromLB. I'm sure their reasoning was, "Well, she's old enough to say who did this." And that was enough to kill her. And not even care about the pain she went through before she died.

This sweet little girl... there is no justice for this because it can't be undone or taken away.

Can anyone think of any reason why these two............animals.............should be kept alive.

I can't.

And they would have the relief of knowing that they wouldn't be burned to death.

Are we supposed to feel sympathy for either of these two monsters?????? I am not a big fan of the death penalty, but for these two, I would gladly inject, pull the switch, or whatever to obliterate them from the planet. Personally I think they should be doused with gasoline, locked in a car, and someone throw in a couple of lit matches. Even that would be too swift for them. I'm sorry but I have never had a story effect me like this one. Little Hannah looks just like my 2 yo grand niece and it feels like my heart is literally breaking in half for this little girl. I have no doubt the afterlife for these two will be horrendous.

I think they should first be shot with a shotgun in the stomach just like the father was and then lock them in the car and douse it with gasoline and throw the match and walk away.

IMO

http://www.allbusiness.com/crime-la...ions/criminal-offenses-crimes/14594747-1.html

Attorneys for the Gatrells have indicated their clients will pursue opposing defenses, with Daniel Gatrell telling sheriff's deputies that he shot Palmer in the stomach with a shotgun, but that his cousin finished off the stricken man with two more gunshots because the teen couldn't bring himself to shoot again. He also said killing the toddler was his cousin's idea and that Robert Gatrell strapped the toddler into Palmer's truck.

Robert Gatrell told investigators his younger cousin killed Palmer, ambushing him with a shotgun, according to arrest reports, and that both of them poured gasoline on the vehicle and set it afire with the girl inside. The pair are being kept separate while jailed at the request of investigators, court records show.

Defense attorneys for the cousins have requested mental examinations of their clients for use in a possible insanity defense. But court files show the Arkansas State Hospital has notified Circuit Judge Chris Piazza that the cousins' evaluations will require extra time.

Daniel Gatrell - 16 at the time of the slaying - is too young to face the death penalty, while prosecutors would be barred from seeking the death penalty for Robert Gatrell if he is found to be insane or mentally retarded. Authorities say he (Robert) has reported being suicidal and claims to have nightmares about Hannah crying as she burns in the truck.

Red mine.

Dear God! That poor baby. :cry:

Sick tickets, both of them! They both need the DP, just to prevent them from breathing air!

http://arkansasmatters.com/news-fulltext?nxd_id=362386

October 21, 2010

"We were ready to go forward, but they were wanting to file additional motions," said Pulaski County Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, John Johnson. " I didn't want to piecemeal out the hearings. We just wanted to take care of this all at once."

While the motions were delayed, trial dates were set for both men. Robert Gatrell will begin his trial April 25. Daniel Gatrell will begin his trial on May 18.

"Obviously the victims' family wants for the case to be tried as quickly as possible," Johnson said reacting to the motion delays, "but they also understand the necessity of making sure it gets done right the first time, which I think is the court's consideration."

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/jan/27/gatrell-declines-plea-deal-be-tried-adult/

January 27, 2011

LITTLE ROCK — Daniel Gatrell, who along with his cousin was accused in the deaths of a father and his toddler, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the death of Michael Palmer and first-degree murder in the death of Hannah Palmer.

Gatrell, 17, received a 10-year sentence on the manslaughter charge and a 40-year sentence on the murder charge, to be served concurrently.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back