AR AR - Miranda 'Michelle' Owens, 40, Stuttgart, 21 April 2015

Owens was an adult, she had the mental capacity of a child, which had made family believe someone took advantage of her and kidnapped her. They claimed as much as they tried to explain that to police, Owens was still initially considered a runaway.

Stuttgart Police told the family that the department was currently following up on leads, but reminded them that Arkansas State Police was the leading agency on the case and not Stuttgart PD.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/story/d/story/kark/11106/YWPjS9CdOkmT6pQorNGGOg

I will get banned if I reply with my opinion of Stuttgart PD, Arkansas State police, or FBI who work out of those areas.

But in an article found in another thread (I can't remember which one, sorry), it was exposed that in general LE prefer to not pursue MP cases unless forced. They will brush them under the rug in hopes the MP will just come home.

We've seen that behavior time and again out of Stuttgart (partly because someone's buddy's wife is calling the shots) but i think it is a nationwide epidemic in general.

Every once in awhile, a MP case will see a very active LE presence. But I think that's rare.

In the meantime, the donut shops and shooting ranges are getting good business in Stuttgart.

The news article says 3 missing people, does anyone know who that may be? I haven't found that information yet.

Cassie Kay Compton Sept 14, 2014
William "Bill" Gibbs Nov 27, 2014
Miranda Michelle Owens April 21, 2015

Cassie still hasn't been found, Bill was found March 25 on the very road (that is only 3 miles long) that his truck was found abandoned and door open.

Family, friends calls for FBI assistance in missing Stuttgart woman case

https://shar.es/1rlXVH

"I'm here today with members of the Michelle Owen family and we want and demand answers," Robert Chambers said. "It has been over 32 days and Stuttgart Chief of Police Keith Connell and his lead detective in the case has not been able to retrieve Michelle phone records. Those phone records are vital to the investigation."

For some reason I thought that the LE were a part of the search, and to read that they weren't is appalling. Is it about race and social status in AR, I'm starting to think so. And I believe, imo, its also about who knows who. Truly sad:(

I use Straight Talk. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take 32 days for the LE to receive the phone records.

A key comment from the article that could explain some of the inaction:

Johnson (her mother) said Michelle was “mentally slow”, but it never prevented her from being socially accepted, she was dependent on others.

The police should understand, if they are aware, she is in need of greater protection.

http://www.katv.com/story/28960884/search-party-combs-through-stuttgart-for-michelle-owens

BBM
That sentence stumped me. If Michelle is "slow" but it doesn't prevent her from being socially accepted, is she truly dependent on others? If she is dependent on others how did the "others" allow her out of sight for so long before reporting her missing? I wondered if the sentence should have read not dependent on others.

On Michelle's FB she has 2009 friends. I know a lot of people have friends on their page that they don't know but that's a lot of friends for a woman her family describes as slow.

All just my thoughts and MOO

I don't know if this is allowed or even possible but could someone from WS contact Michelle's family and give them some suggestions on how to get Michelle's name and picture out to more of the public? Maybe have them contact the local media in print and TV to ask why nothing is being done to bring her home. It seems that some families just freeze from the shock of having someone you love just disappear. If that's the case maybe suggestions would help. I know we can't do that for them but surely we can help in some way.

They cant get her phone records? Did I read that correctly? Does that makes sense to anyone?

OK, this is alarming. Michelle's last know is LE. And she is gone. So where is the timeline here? Where does it start? 4/19 or days later?

“Let’s find Michelle Owens,” Chambers said, inviting the public to get involved with the search.​
Owens has not been seen by her family since Sunday, April 19, but law enforcement reports they saw the woman both Monday, April 20, and Tuesday, April 21, in Stuttgart.​

From the SDL link. I am a fan of LE. I can cut them all kinds of slack. But this is astounding. I dont suppose any media want to do a story on the black hole that exists in Stuttgart into which people are swallowed and likely die?

Did she witness something What was the nature of her last contact with police? Why did they make note of her presence?

Dare I say it-is there an incident or police report that goes along with that last sighting? Because we know from past experience that SPD may not be big on recording stuff.

If Michelle's family get's a chance to be online, I hope that they are demanding copies of any incident reports that include Michelle.

Connell told the family that the department was currently following up on leads, but reminded them that Arkansas State Police was the leading agency on the case and not Stuttgart PD.

LINK HERE

Uh, SPD apparently doesnt handle MP cases anymore. And when you read the article you can pretty much interchange Cassie Compton's name into the investigation. SPD is following up on leads but it isnt their case.

Then why are they following up on leads?

:banghead: We need a rabbit hole smiley.

Honestly, people of Stuttgart you need to stop with your complacency. Look what will happen if your loved one disappears.

Nothing.

Family of missing Stuttgart woman asks for FBI help
Posted: Jun 02, 2015 10:36 PM CDT

snipped
Michelle's family and friends have conducted several civilian searches in the almost seven weeks she's been missing. On Tuesday, they came to the city council meeting to ask for more help, specifically the help of the FBI.

“There has not been a law enforcement search and we think that should have been done immediately,” said NAACP State President, Dale Charles.

Stuttgart Police Lt. Mark Duke said the FBI got involved with Cassie Compton's disappearance because they believed she may have been abducted and crossed state lines.

snipped
Article, pictures, and videos at the link. http://www.katv.com/story/29224325/family-of-missing-stuttgart-woman-asks-for-fbi-help
Family, friends and the NAACP asked the Stuttgart City Council for the FBI's help in their search for missing Michelle Owens.

Owens was last seen Mid-April in Stuttgart. There are conflicting reports of exactly where she was last seen. Stuttgart Police Lieutenant Mark Duke said some of his officers saw Owens at 13th and Main on the 21st of May, family members say the last sighting was on May 19th at her home on Vine Street.
Michelle's family seems to be moving this forward.

I wish the family would share details of what SPD says about their last sighting. Who saw Michelle and what was she doing when she was last seen?

I think it speaks volumes that Michelle's family doesnt appear to believe SPD...in fact I think it is alarming.

I wish the family would share details of what SPD says about their last sighting. Who saw Michelle and what was she doing when she was last seen?

I think it speaks volumes that Michelle's family doesnt appear to believe SPD...in fact I think it is alarming.
i think it's right on target for them to not trust SPD. Their instincts are solid.

The FBI needs to be called for several reasons, one that includes looking into the practices of SPD.

Miranda has been added to NamUs with a last seen date of April 19, 2015.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/28807
Case Information
Status Missing
First name Miranda
Middle name
Last name Owens
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen April 19, 2015 00:00
Date entered 05/22/2015
Age last seen 40 to 40 years old
Age now 40 years old
Race Black/African American
Ethnicity
Sex Female
Height (inches) 66.0
Weight (pounds) 120.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available
DNA Status: Initial inquiry underway
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

I wonder who entered her and I wonder why they feel the SPD LK date of 4/21/15 is not accurate.

It is very very alarming that the SPD last known sighting is considered to be inauthentic. Extremely alarming.

I wonder who entered her and I wonder why they feel the SPD LK date of 4/21/15 is not accurate.

It is very very alarming that the SPD last known sighting is considered to be inauthentic. Extremely alarming.
To me it seems like they are using the last family sighting, and discounting the SPD sighting. There must be a reason.

Family may be Michelle's best hope. It's nearly two months since family last saw her and we are only on our third page here. I wish a family member would take part in this discussion. I'm very worried for Michelle's safety.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back