Identified! Australia - Camberwell, Vic, Male killed by train, Sep'12- Name withheld

From the FB page:

= Breaking News = A family from Sweden is assisting Victorian Police with the identification of this young man ... Once formal identification is made ... The family have approved his name and image be released on this page THANK YOU FOR SHARING & CARING

Still nothing other than "will share his name once we get 400 shares"

Still nothing other than "will share his name once we get 400 shares"

I read the last post, it says they will release the name once formal identification is made, not when they get 400 shares but they ask people to share so that it will appear in people's news feeds:

"I can not yet confirm the identity but have been given permission by the family to do so .... as soon as formal identification is made.

[...]

Facebook will only post this message into the news feed of approximately 10% of the fans of this page ... which means only 400 people from the 4,000 fans of this page ... that is only a small number of the 60,000 who shared that will see this post.

So I ask a big favour ... please SHARE and ask your friends to do the same so that the message reaches everyone"

I read the last post, it says they will release the name once formal identification is made, not when they get 400 shares but they ask people to share so that it will appear in people's news feeds:

"I can not yet confirm the identity but have been given permission by the family to do so .... as soon as formal identification is made.

[...]

Facebook will only post this message into the news feed of approximately 10% of the fans of this page ... which means only 400 people from the 4,000 fans of this page ... that is only a small number of the 60,000 who shared that will see this post.

So I ask a big favour ... please SHARE and ask your friends to do the same so that the message reaches everyone"

I have a tendency to skim things :/

His name won't be released until Victoria Police have confirmed his identity. Having said this, his family believe, without any doubt, that he is their missing relative.

It's not a bad thing to wait as it allows the family time and space to come to terms with this terrible news, and to grieve. Because of the huge media interest in this case, I'd imagine the media will be trying to get interviews from his family members, once the news is out. So I for one am grateful this process is taking time, for the family's sake, as dealing with the media can be traumatic for some people at any time, let alone whilst in the depths of a recent death whilst actively grieving.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer before we are allowed to release his name publicly. I'm very proud of the fact that for the family's sake we have been able to respect them 100% in this, to get their permission to share the young man's name publicly, and not break the news before official confirmation comes through, and also that the decision to release his name was totally left up to his family, without pressure from outside influences. In a way I see that as a gift of respect that we've been able to give this young man by honouring and respecting his family.

His picture is still being circulated around facebook as unidentified. I really hope that he has been identified and can be laid to rest by his family. So sad.

The FB page is saying they're 99% sure a match has been made and that the possible family of the victim has requested the owner of the page take down the surveillance photos. The police are just waiting on official DNA results.

I didn't know if this has been posted

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-08/police-unable-to-identify-man-killed-by-train/4300402

Police unable to identify man killed by train
Updated Mon Oct 8, 2012 8:28am AEDT

MAP: Camberwell 3124
Police are struggling to identify a man who was killed by a train in Melbourne three weeks ago.

They think the man stepped out of an alcove and was struck and killed by a train near the East Camberwell train station at about 11:00am (AEST) on Friday September 14.

The man was wearing a number of layers of clothing, including a pair of Swedish brand jeans called Crocker, with light blue waterproof pants over the top.

He was also wearing a black hooded jumper with a white stripe.

Police have tracked his movements through the use of an unregistered myki card purchased at Williamstown railway station on September 13 at 2:11pm.

It is believed the man spend the day travelling riding trains between Williamstown and Flinders Street.

The following day he rode trains back and forth on the Belgrave line.

Police say he only touched on during his journeys, suggesting he was not familiar with the myki system.

Police have been unable to identify the man and have released CCTV images in the hope that someone will recognise him.

The man was not carrying any identification in his wallet.

He is identified as being between 18 and 27 years of age, 167 centimetres tall, with a slim build, short brown hair.

I believe he has been tentatively identified, though nothing has been released publicly.'

There is already a thread for this John Doe, so I merged your new thread with the existing one.

Adrian Lowe is the reporter who wrote the article.

Is this his name, summer (BBM)? I read that whole article and never saw his name. Of course, there was also an uncloseable ad hovering over and blocking part of it on my phone, so that might have been the problem. :)

His name was not in this article but there's an obituary for him in the link donjeta posted (right above your post).

Glad he's been identified and returned to his family, RIP Dennis.

His identity was discovered, DNA testing proved it was the person whose family believed it was their son. He was repatriated and given a beautiful funeral and buried in a lovely scenic spot on a hill overlooking a beautiful tranquil lake. I think it's safe to say that without the search turning to facebook, his identity would never have been found. His family had listed him as missing 2 months prior.

His family initially agreed to release his name, mainly due to some unfortunate pressurization, but after much careful consideration they then chose not to release his name due to the massive international publicity, and also the fact that the story threatened to break on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It was felt it was best not to release his name then.

Then later, in an effort to find his belongings and where he stayed in Melbourne during his time in Melbourne, his name was eventually released, but my understanding is nothing further was found.

The facebook group used to find him now is used to help identify other John Doe's in Australia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back