GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the area quite well, though don't live near there any longer. I hope she is found safe and well. Have been reading her facebook, lots of photos.
I must say though, a little like Doc, I'm a little 'old fashioned'. If I had girls I wouldn't want them in that area after 8pm at night,alone or otherwise, though I do realise I would probably not be able to stop them. I've driven down there a few times at night (only because we had to) and it's trouble waiting to happen. The area has changed very much since the good ole days.
I cannot fathom even thinking of walking home at that time/in that area alone.
All MOO.

why wait until midday saturday to report her missing, especially if you are worried enough to be searching at 4am, it seems a long time to wait.
maybe everyone thought lets wait and if shes not home by then we'll call the police?
husband looks so sad!

Just a thought - the detective mentioned in the press conference that Jill's phone was 'turned off', rather than saying it ran out of battery. News articles all seem to confirm this information.

Is there anyway for them to tell this? Does a phone still ping when it has run out of battery? Or is it just a misleading choice of words?

Anyone know?

Mods

Thinly veined accustaions at the husband already, bit harsh I think, no doubt Mr Wright will start to wear them too.

Hope they find her safe and well

I don't think its thinly veiled accusations. We are simply interpreting the situation. The last person to see Jill alive and her partner are of course the two most interesting persons to the police and why is that - because a majority of the time the victim knows their attacker and intimately knows their attacker. And the police haven't said that they are worried about a murderer on the streets - perhaps its early days.

Mr Meagher told 3AW this morning that he rang his wife's mobile phone "non-stop" from 2am to 6am on Saturday with no success.

He also went out looking for her at about 4am after she didn't come home.

hmm she phoned her brother around 1.45am hubby starts ringing at 2am

"It sounded like she was on her way home.

"I called back a few times and she never answered."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...tes-in-brunswick/story-fndo1wyv-1226479708333

sounds to me like she was followed moo
There is a quote in the above article which states, "Phone records which could shed vital clues into the disappearance of Ms. Meagher are due to be retrieved today."

I do hope the phone records are retrieved, and that they do provide vital info!

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but even though the shoes are apparently NOT hers, this is all starting to look very concerning. Deja vu to the search for Allison B-C.

I have an awful feeling that this is not going to end well....

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/h...er-hunt-for-missing-woman-20120923-26eou.html

^^ The above article says that Ms Meagher's phone was turned off/ran out of battery at 8am on Saturday

Midnight - Left Brunswick Green Bar
Saturday 22 September
1:30ish - Last seen at Bar Etiquette (having her last drink). Left around this time to walk alone to her home on Lux Way after declining an invitation from a colleague (Tom Wright) with whom she was drinking, to accompany her on the walk.
1:45am - call to brother (Michael McKeon)
2.00-6.00am - Husband (Thomas Meagher) ringing Jill's phone 'non-stop'. Calls going unanswered.
4.00am - Husband goes out looking for Jill
8.00am - Jill's phone turned off/runs out of battery
Monday 24 September
6:30am - handbag found by passer-by off of Hope Street

Thank you for the timeline.

So, does this mean that she left Bar Ettiquette at 1.30am to make the 5 min walk home? If so, why would she still be walking home at 1.45am when she phoned her brother?

I didn't find anything strange about her going out without her husband - it happens all the time. Couples do things together and with their friends or work colleagues ... nothing sinister about that.

My interpretation of a man or woman going drinking without his/her spouse would depend on how often it happens. If this was a frequent event, a spouse sitting at home alone could become quite unhappy about it. Some couples might cope well with disperate social needs, while others are destroyed by them.

Does anyone know if Jill went out straight from work or went home first to prepare for a night out?

I don't think its thinly veiled accusations. We are simply interpreting the situation. The last person to see Jill alive and her partner are of course the two most interesting persons to the police and why is that - because a majority of the time the victim knows their attacker and intimately knows their attacker. And the police haven't said that they are worried about a murderer on the streets - perhaps its early days.

Comments on his behaviour are a little out of line at this stage, hes being painted as a suspect based on fronting a camera. If the good folk on here are can explain how someone should act in a time like this, then may be they should contact him and intsruct hm accordingly.

Put it this way, if this was your brother, father, friend and there was discussion on how he acted at this point in time, on a forum, you'd certainly be up in arms.

The shadow of GBCs on-screen behaviour should not taint this man.

http://www.watoday.com.au/victoria/jillian-sounded-worried-mother-20120924-26gku.html
In the minutes before she vanished, Jillian Meagher called her brother and said: "I'm worried, I'm worried".
The revelation was made by Edith McKeon, the mother of Jillian, an ABC employee who disappeared in the early hours of Saturday morning after drinks in the Melbourne suburb of Brunswick.
Speaking from her Perth home, Mrs McKeon said Jillian was a loving daughter who rushed home from a holiday in her native Ireland several weeks ago when her father, George, suffered a stroke.
Mrs McKeon said Jillian called home between 1.45am and 2am Saturday morning – around the time she is thought to have vanished – and "sounded worried" in a brief conversation with her brother, Michael.
Advertisement
"She rang Michael at about 2am on Saturday morning and she sounded worried and there were people in the background and that's the last we've heard from her," Mrs McKeon said.
Mrs McKeon said Michael went straight downstairs to call his sister back, as he did not want to wake their father. However, Jillian didn't pick up – "it just went to voicemail".
Jillian was last seen about 1.30am when she declined an offer from a male colleague to walk her to her home, which was about 700 metres away.
She'd been drinking at Bar Etiquette on Sydney Road, and police believe she walked north before turning left onto Hope Street, towards her home.
This morning, Jillian's handbag was found in a laneway off Hope Street, with the area now cordoned off.
"It's not Jillian's thing ... so this is just so out of character ... I just don't know what's happened," Mrs McKeon said.
"Tom, her husband, rang Saturday afternoon ... Michael came in to tell us she was missing.
"Of course you think she'll turn up or something like that ... but yesterday morning still no sign so we drove Michael to the airport (to travel to Melbourne) ... and came home and looked on the internet and she was all over the place, she was all over the place."
Mrs McKeon, who described her daughter as "a fighter", made a plea for anyone with information to come forward.
"If anyone's seen anything, even if you think it might not be her just please ring ... it might be her it mightn't be her, if there's any doubt at all just ring, just let the police know.
"Any information possible could help, so please ring."

http://www.watoday.com.au/victoria/jillian-sounded-worried-mother-20120924-26gku.html
In the minutes before she vanished, Jillian Meagher called her brother and said: "I'm worried, I'm worried".
The revelation was made by Edith McKeon, the mother of Jillian, an ABC employee who disappeared in the early hours of Saturday morning after drinks in the Melbourne suburb of Brunswick.
Speaking from her Perth home, Mrs McKeon said Jillian was a loving daughter who rushed home from a holiday in her native Ireland several weeks ago when her father, George, suffered a stroke.
Mrs McKeon said Jillian called home between 1.45am and 2am Saturday morning – around the time she is thought to have vanished – and "sounded worried" in a brief conversation with her brother, Michael.
Advertisement
"She rang Michael at about 2am on Saturday morning and she sounded worried and there were people in the background and that's the last we've heard from her," Mrs McKeon said.
Mrs McKeon said Michael went straight downstairs to call his sister back, as he did not want to wake their father. However, Jillian didn't pick up – "it just went to voicemail".
Jillian was last seen about 1.30am when she declined an offer from a male colleague to walk her to her home, which was about 700 metres away.
She'd been drinking at Bar Etiquette on Sydney Road, and police believe she walked north before turning left onto Hope Street, towards her home.
This morning, Jillian's handbag was found in a laneway off Hope Street, with the area now cordoned off.
"It's not Jillian's thing ... so this is just so out of character ... I just don't know what's happened," Mrs McKeon said.
"Tom, her husband, rang Saturday afternoon ... Michael came in to tell us she was missing.
"Of course you think she'll turn up or something like that ... but yesterday morning still no sign so we drove Michael to the airport (to travel to Melbourne) ... and came home and looked on the internet and she was all over the place, she was all over the place."
Mrs McKeon, who described her daughter as "a fighter", made a plea for anyone with information to come forward.
"If anyone's seen anything, even if you think it might not be her just please ring ... it might be her it mightn't be her, if there's any doubt at all just ring, just let the police know.
"Any information possible could help, so please ring."

I just read this too. She says she was worried, but before brother said he thought it was because their father was sick. Did we determine brothers time where he was? Was it late at night? He said he left the fathers room so not to wake him when she called. Did she primarily call because she was scared and made conversation on the phone in hopes of deterring her attacker(s)? If so then why not call her husband who was very close and could have come to her aide? Tia

So the call she apparently made was to her parents' home, in Perth. And presumably, even though they don't specify, the time of 1:45-2:00 refers to Melbourne time, as they qualify that statement with "about the time she vanished".

Still a bit late for a phone call - or is that just me again with my antiquated views? ;) Unless she'd had news about her father earlier, I wonder what made her suddenly call her brother at midnight Perth time, and make comments such as "I'm worried"?

This deja vu thing is very spooky - after the BC case, with midnight Facetime calls, missing phones, victims allegedly going for walks in the middle of the night (Allison B-C), it is all sounding eerily concerning!

From the description of the phone call by her mother, with people in the background, presumably that was before she set off for home from the bar.

Does that help the timeline at all?

So the call she apparently made was to her parents' home, in Perth. And presumably, even though they don't specify, the time of 1:45-2:00 refers to Melbourne time, as they qualify that statement with "about the time she vanished".

Still a bit late for a phone call - or is that just me again with my antiquated views? ;) Unless she'd had news about her father earlier, I wonder what made her suddenly call her brother at midnight Perth time, and make comments such as "I'm worried"?

This deja vu thing is very spooky - after the BC case, with midnight Facetime calls, missing phones, victims allegedly going for walks in the middle of the night (Allison B-C), it is all sounding eerily concerning!

From the description of the phone call by her mother, with people in the background, presumably that was before she set off for home from the bar.

Does that help the timeline at all?
If the call was made at the bar were there a group of people following her/harassing her? Did her coworker see her call her bro before they split up?

Off topic but dr Watson it appears you and I have the same antiquated ideas of drinking/spouse/time. But, then again Dr Watson and YODA are from another time ;)

If the call was made at the bar were there a group of people following her/harassing her? Did her coworker see her call her bro before they split up?

Good questions!

And that article you posted the link for above is behind a paywall, unfortunately.

And re our antiquated ideas - we are indeed from another time ;) But nothing wrong with that.... I know for sure that my other half would be at panic stations if I weren't home from a social function by 2am. Work? Different matter entirely, especially as she works at the same place and knows there is no way I could get away with saying I was at work when I wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny